Tattoos in the workplace?

I have a question, do you think tattoos are appropriate in the workplace ? Schools for example would you leave your child with someone who has a full arm sleeve tattoo in a nursery school. or would you view it different in a high school setting ? and do you think tats are frowned apon on job interviews ??

Should the people remove their tattoos before showing up for work?? ;-)

Seriously, I think tattoos are so common these days, I don't think many people bat an eye. Remember - pierced ears used to be scandalous at one time. What's normal and common evolves with time, so I don't assume that anyone with a tat is any different than someone without... maybe just more creative or more of a free spirit. JMHO

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

I agree with Rebecka; tattoos are a lot more common then they used to be. However I would still cover up on a job interview. It's ultimately a personal feeling whether you like them or not and you don't know how the person interviewing you will feel.

I have a couple of tattoos including a horse tattoo on my left shoulder. I am a frequent runner and often run in a singlet which makes it very easy to see. For years if I would change into running clothes at my office I would wear another shirt out the door so no one would see it. One day I forgot to cover up. Several coworkers stopped me to tell me how much they liked it. It turns out half of my office has tattoos :)

red76nj red76nj
Aug '12

Nobody cares anymore. All types of people have them, even conservative people (at least those with a pretty high pain threshold). Back in the 80's I worked with a guy with some truly artistic tattoos on his arms. The tattoos bothered some of the prospective clients so our manager asked him to wear long sleeves on days when we would meet with the clients to help design their technical documentation. I don't think that would happen today.

Wendy Wendy
Aug '12

It just might happen today, Wendy. Company management and society still frown upon certain things. If a woman walked into a business for a job interview... wearing tattoos and a ring in her nose or wearing a low cut dress or in jeans and a sloppy shirt do we really think that she would get that job? Some things are just better left unknown especially out in business ... when you get home from work with friends and family....then show whatever you want and live the way you want.... but when you are in someone's employ or out looking for a job.....then I guess some things are better left unknown then everyone is happy. I would hate to see someone capable of doing a better job lose it because of that..but it does still happen.

joyful joyful
Aug '12

Tattoos bear no impact on the individuals intelligence, skill set, qualifications, etc. Judging someone based upon them is discrimination. I work for large well known company and I have visible tattoos & guess what I'm pretty damn good at my job.

For those who don't like tattoos that's great I'm not judging you...but please extend the same courtesy to us who decided to live our lives a little more colorful.

StrawberryJD StrawberryJD
Aug '12

It totally depends on the job and your responsibility -- if you want to be respected in your field of work and taken seriously you would have shown restraint and only gotten tattoos in the many places that are not visible when in work attire. I would think twice about having my child in daycare with someone having enough tattoos that they were visible.

Our military service men and women have many tattoos -- BUT -- they must not be visible when in uniform.

I don't look down on people that do have tattoos - many of them truly are works of art - but if a doctor walked in to give me a check-up I would wonder.

To me they are recreational and have no business in the workplace much as your biker jacket does not belong in the workplace. There is a time and a place.

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '12

Joyful...Have you ever been to a "Apple Store"...I think that's the norm

Brad
Aug '12

I would NEVER Hire someone with a face full of tattoos or piercings to represent my company. I consider it totally unprofessional and a major turn off.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '12

Tattoos are nothing new. It should not impact someone getting or performing their job. If however the employer requested long sleeves or asked body jewelry to be removed for safety reasons and the person declines i think the employer has the right to say hit the road.

icicle icicle
Aug '12

Trekster3 - You're not judging?!?!

"if you want to be respected in your field of work and taken seriously you would have shown restraint and only gotten tattoos in the many places that are not visible when in work attire"
---I am VERY well respected in my field. My tattoos do not hinder my performance in any way.

"To me they are recreational and have no business in the workplace much as your biker jacket does not belong in the workplace.
---Biker jacket?! Seriously. Wow. Yeah you are not judgemental at all. Maybe said person with the biker jacket doesn't like your cashmere car coat.

Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it...don't get inked...instill your own views into your children...BUT most importantly try to learn to not make rash assumptions about people based upon how they look. One day you might just really need one of us colorful people.

PS - I also have a nose-ring....let's all panic. I must be the anti-christ.

StrawberryJD StrawberryJD
Aug '12

@trekster - depends on the field of work. In some fields, I'd be suspicious of a person's abilities if they did *not* have tats!

@Wendy - today, the manager might be asking your tattooed colleague to please wear short sleeves when prospective clients were coming! In the field of design, it totally fits - creative, outside-the-box thinker.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '12

I have no problems with them at all. I have one my boys all have some. They are a work of art. Don't judge a book by its cover is what I was always taught. I always question people when I see one. They always have a story behind it.

Christine Christine
Aug '12

Tattoos are "outside the box"? Not anymore... everyone and their grandma has one.

Personally, I don't even give them a second thought, but if you work in an industry with a lot of "old-school" clients, I would recommend covering them up.

My buddy Gobby had essentially full-sleeves on both arms and always kept them covered up during work hours. Of course, once the day was over, he was riding bare-chested AND bare-armed up Route 46 on his way home, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '12

In this tough job market, you would need to be exceptional to be hired with piercings and tatoos for a professional job. My lawyer, my accountant, my broker, no tattoos. My mechanic, the grocery store cashier - no problem. While people shouldn't judge - they do, and someone who is dressed unprofessionally or has various piercings and tattoos do not command the same respect as those who are dressed accordingly. While they may be more competent, their appearance may stand in their way of success. As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

observer2 observer2
Aug '12

If you aspire to work in a blue-collar industry, then you probably won't have an issue. If you're going to walk into an interview in a corporate office looking like some sideshow act, then your resume better show that you taught Jesus how to walk on water.

Personally I think they're ugly and I think it's sad what I see some young kids do to their necks and other openly visible parts of their body. They don't realize how career-limiting it can be in the future.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

I thought tattoos where so common most places didn't care anymore. I found out I was wrong when I commetted to the ups driver about him wearing pants on such a hot day. He told me ups makes him cover his tattoos so he can't wear the shorts.

Sunshine Sunshine
Aug '12

I definitely think there are jobs where tattoos would not be frowned upon such as a mechanic, truck driver, etc... but most definitely would NOT be appropriate for a Nursery school teacher, Doctor, and obviously many others. It doesn't matter how much we say people should not judge others, the bottom line is THEY DO !!!!!! If you are covered in tattoos it does not affect your ability to perform well in your position, BUT it may change the way other people perceive you.
You could be a highly intelligent person with skills that go above and beyond any other, but if you come in looking like a member of The Hells Angels, how can you expect an employer whom has no previous knowledge about you to take you seriously?
It is a personal choice for each individual whether or not you have them, but just like anything else in life you have to accept the consequences (good or bad) that come with your choices.

My husband has 12 and you can't see any of them...He has some on his upper arms and back.This was done on purpose to hide when he is at work,church,wake or some function where it seems tacky to show! He is happy with them that way.

luvjazz luvjazz
Aug '12

StrawberryJD - relax, I'm sure you are very respected in your field and I applaud you.

The question was tattoos in the workplace. When you represent a company or organization and you are in a sales, customer service or otherwise have client contact, the company is paying you to represent them. With so much of your body able to be covered in tattoos, to put one in a location that it will always get noticed is certainly your choice. But with so many misconceptions still out there about people who have body art, if you are in a public position, the main fear of a manager would be that the client is distracted by your tattoo's and not focusing on you and your abilities or more so what you have to offer.

And regarding creative and artistic careers - in general I would say body art is not limiting and as mentioned above, almost required. But when was the last time you saw the ballet or went to Broadway to see a show and saw a tattoo? Unless it's part of the character, never. Having a daughter that wants to go into the theater as her profession, I would advise her to not get a tattoo in the first place, but if she chose to get one in a very visible place that couldn't be covered by a leotard, I would suggest she use make up to cover it for auditions.

luvjazz - good call on the hubby.

By the way, I have several friends that are virtually covered in body art - beautiful works of art - and that most certainly is their choice. I know several successful business owners with tattoos. I've hired people with tattoos. I do not judge or look down on them or their capabilities at work, but know many who do.

I stick with my first statement 'It totally depends on the job and your responsibility '

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '12

They look disgusting when people age.

Nancy R
Aug '12

I love tattoos. I have one in a place that is hidden in my work clothes but I would love another. I always wanted one on my wrist or ankle but I do work in a corporate office environment and I'm sure it would be frowned uppon. As much as I love them, I need my job, but the day I win the lottery and no longer need to worry about impressions, ink me up : )

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Aug '12

i like the way JRT said it, i totally agree

Originally people got tattoos to be different and perceived as "cool" and "edgy". But now everyone has them. So since I have none, that must mean I'm super-cool and hip, right?

eperot eperot
Aug '12

I have a beautiful tattoo but it’s located on my upper arm as long I have T-shirt, nobody sees it. I could have gotten it on my forehead but I didn’t. I should have gotten it on my forehead but I doubt I have my job now. I made a good call to hide it so it’s for my personal use/satisfaction. If you think tattoo is the way to show yourself to world, get it no your forehead, if not.. You know what to do.

I often question that too, Nancy...do people who get tattoos ever think about what it's going to look like when you're 80? Not judging...just wondering!

just curious just curious
Aug '12

Visible Tattoos and piercing will limit your earning potental.. Think before you do something Stupid. I will not hire you, its unprofessional.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '12

Gauges in the ears, perced tongues, lips, eyebrows, heavy tattoos...I agree with Mr. Negative. It's not professional. I will not hire you either.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Aug '12

My tattoo is over 40 years old and looks as good as it did when I got it. If I reach 80 do you really think I'll give a rats a$$ what you think, for that matter I don't care what you think now.

eapos eapos
Aug '12

Yeah, eventually that cute little "tramp stamp" is going to be more like a "tramp postcard", lol.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '12

eapos - and I know the tattoo place in town does amazing restorations, if need be.

First Place Tattoo's facebook has a boatload of awesome photos!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/First-Place-Tattoos/169431923122944

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '12

"My tattoo is over 40 years old and looks as good as it did when I got it. If I reach 80 do you really think I'll give a rats a$$ what you think, for that matter I don't care what you think now."

LOVE IT!

Plus at 80, I'm going to be to busy trying not to trip on my boobies, never mind worring about a few saggy or wrinkled tats. lol

abbadabbadoooo abbadabbadoooo
Aug '12

What happens when the wrinkles set in? Can you still make out what it's supposed to be?

just curious just curious
Aug '12

@ Just Curious: How will you look at 80 years old, when your wrinkles set in? Or are you immune to aging, found the fountain of youth?

I think the visible tattoo issue is becoming less and less of a problem as the younger generation beings to take the reins of society.

I personally don't care; I'd leave my child, or be treated with someone who has visible tattoos. Just because they have visible tattoos doesn't mean they are less of a person, or changes their professional integrity, if the person is capable of the professional standard you expect who cares what they look like.

TFulp TFulp
Aug '12

Re: Tattoos in the workplace?

Saw this the other day and it made me laugh. Now I have someplace to post it!

Mr. Negative, in what field do you hire people? Just curious. I agree that visible tattoos are a detriment in certain fields, but I'm sometimes surprised where it is acceptable and where it isn't. For example, I'm very surprised that UPS cares, as stated by someone above.

Wow! This thread is crazy. I have full sleeves and guess what? I work in an office and my job prior was in an office. I have been fortunate enough to work for people who don't care about tattoo's. I wouldn't really want to work for someone who did because to me that just screams judgmental. I know people judge, but if I cared I wouldn't have gotten the tattoos I have. People in my office building will either stare or compliment me and the people who stare actually make me feel good. Ya know why? Because yes I have tattoos and I'm working in the same building as you. Now here is my question? I completely understand that bikers are known for tattoos, but it's hilarious that a lot of comments on here have referred to leather biker jackets and Hells Angels. We are not all bikers FYI. In response to what my tattoos will look like when I'm 80, they will be aged and wrinkly but so will you and most of my friends will look like me as well. I read a great quote which I can't remember the exact wording but it said something along the lines of the great thing about people with tattoos is that they don't care if other people don't have them. Think about it.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

I have two jobs. One at a tattoo shop and one at a hospital. So I gotta cover my sleeves for one job and it helps to show them for the other. I wear long sleeves at the hospital and I completely understand. I dont judge buy there are a LOT of out-of-touch people that DO. Theyre the same type of people that wanted to outlaw rock music in the 1950s. My point is there will always be judgemental people. That's life.
P.S.-I love when I help save a life and then the family sees that Im covered in tattoos. Amazing feeling

JaBooo JaBooo
Aug '12

I received my first tattoo in 1979 and it looks as good now as it did then. I now have 6 others that I have added over the years. I work in a conservative postion, but I know when to be discrete and when I can flaunt them. Only one is really visible - for my 50th a few years ago, I had a half sleeve done. It is amazing. I figure at my age do I really care what anyone has to say about me. The only people who comment negatively about tattoos are the people who do not have one.

My tattoos are very personal to me and each has a meaning that is important only to me. If you do not like it, don't look. Just smile and keep on walking.

Karen G Karen G
Aug '12

No. I wouldn't leave my children with someone who had a full sleeve tattoo or a lot of piercings, especially facial piercings.

JRT, well said! I agree 100%

LV Mom
Aug '12

@LV Mom and anyone else hesitant to leave their children with people who have tattoos. I'm assuming you don't have any friends with tattoos. it appears as though this is clearly impairing your ability to acknowledge that people with tattoos are just like you. I'm a godmother and an aunt and their parents would not ever hesitate to leave their children with me.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

I have many tattoo's and piercings that are very visible and i worked at a daycare in town kiddie u. Up until last year when i left for maternity leave and now i stay home with my kids, but the parent had no problems with my tattoos and the children did not judge. Some were curious.. Some children even came to class wearing fake tattoos but i was fully capable of my jobs and parents liked me so much that now i watch some of my students from my class at my home.

awebb awebb
Aug '12

Those of you with FaceBook should take alook at the page "Tattoo Acceptance in the Workplace", which is probably what inspired this thread in the first place. Another good one is "Support Tattooed Military".

I have a few tattoos, all not visible at work. Not because it's a requirement, just coincidental placement. I got this job long after the tattoos. Only one can really be seen outside of work, unless I'm wearing a bathing suit, then you can see them all. I don't care who has tattoos and who doesn't. It's a personal choice that doesn't affect ME in any way.

As for someone not trusting a tattooed/pierced person with their child, I'm sad for the child...

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Aug '12

oceanhaze, I don't have any women friends with tattoos. I guess the whole "Birds of a feather" thing is true. I don't mind one or two on a man.

awebb, I'm sure many parents don't have a problem with tattoos and piercings. Personally, I didn't want my own children to think I approved nor did I want them to imitate the behavior. I chose nursery schools that echoed my beliefs. So far so good with my adult children.

I have relatives with tattoos and facial piercings and honestly, I don't see them as being successful at all. They have yet to find promising positions post college. I have been to many doctors through the years and have yet to come across one with tattoos and piercings.

LV Mom
Aug '12

I'm confused why you wouldn't leave your kids with someone with a full sleeve of tattoos LV MOM. Why? Do you consider people with tattoos to be dirty? drug users?

darwin darwin
Aug '12

Why is one or two tattoos ok on a man but not a woman? My husband has 5 and I have 1. I was a nursery school teacher before I became a SAHM and every single woman I worked with had multiple tattoos. My 1 was the least out of the entire building. I guarantee you have probably left your child in the care of someone with a tattoo and you just don't know it. Unless you have never sent your child to school/daycare.

Btw, my son is in 6th grade this year and at least 3 of his teachers in the past had tattoos. That I know of. Probably more.

Njchia Njchia
Aug '12

@LV Mom don't you want your children to be accepting of all types of people? Instead you are hindering their ability to learn about the real world. When they are 18 they will make their own opinions and hopefully will have an open mind.
Also in regards to having relatives who aren't successful at all. You are honestly going to tell me in this economy it's easy for anyone to find promising positions out of college? That is the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard anyone say. There are many people who are experienced at their trades w/o jobs right now, and to blame the fact that your relatives have tattoos and piercings for their lack of work is insane.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

I don't have any tatoos, but it more from a fear of needles than a dislike of tatoos themselves.

My part-time job is at a local retailer and we have a policy of moving all the items in the customer's shopping cart to make sure we do not miss ringing anything up. One day a couple came through my line with their son. I started moving their purchases and the wife made a big deal about me moving their stuff to their son (about 7 or 8 years old). She kept telling him I was discriminating against the dad because he had tatoos. Truthfully I hadn't really looked at the man and didn't see that he had the bottom portion of tatoos showing from under his t-shirt until she said something. I explained the policy and she just kept going on about how I was discriminating against her husband. My first thought was exactly like ianimal's - Everybody and their grandmother has tatoos these days and if you think this makes him bad-a@@ you are sorely mistaken. And how did she know I didn't have a full American Eagle across my back?
They stopped with the front-end supervisor to complain to him. He has similar tatoos to the dad and they tried to elicite sympathy from him. No dice. He explained the store policy and told them to have a great day.
I've seen them in the store several times since, rung them up, followed the store policy, and the dad does his best to avoid my eyes. Probably embarassed. Whatever. Thank you for shopping with us and please come again!

Andrew's mom Andrew's mom
Aug '12

Don't get me wrong, i personally love tattoos but my original question which i guess i should have been more specific was do you think tattoos are OK to be VISABLE in school settings for young children where they are impressionable. Of course people can have tats in any job where you cant see them and im sure even someone you didnt think has one does but my mindset right now is just thinking about nursery school/daycares.

Njchia, If a woman has a tattoo that is not visible, I have no problem with it. I personally don't like it and would not allow my own children to have one. I wouldn't have them attend a nursery school where teachers had visible tattoos or facial piercings.

I realize some teachers through the years have had tattoos and even facial piercings by the time my children entered high school but it wasn't the norm and there were a lot more teachers that didn't have them than did. And, they were the more respected teachers, imo.

If doctors, lawyers, scientists etc start showing up with multiple visible tattoos and piercing, the perception of what they stand for might change, who knows.

oceanhaze, Two of my children are in their twenties and doing rather well. They realize it takes all kinds but what does it really mean to be accepting of all types of people?? Surely, there are people we all avoid and I've certainly taught them to choose whom they associate with wisely.

The economy is tough right now, why make it harder on yourself? I wouldn't hire the relatives I mentioned. They look ridiculous and obviously others agree....

For those who think it doesn't matter, good luck. It honestly has little effect on my life. I was just giving my two cents since someone asked..

LV Mom
Aug '12

To answer the OP's original question:

Tatoos of flowers, dolphins, happy thoughts and pixie dust - no problem.

Tatoos of skulls with snakes, devils, demons and the ilk - I'd pass.

Andrew's mom Andrew's mom
Aug '12

Sorry LV Mom that you are being abused. But I have to agreed with them. It is sad to say that you are a very closed minded and non-accepting person of change. I have four daughters, who are also tattooed, Shannone is a sahm, Haley is a Vet, Taylor has been ill but is still trying to complete college,(international business and languages at Pace) Evyn just graduated and is teaching English abroad as there are no jobs here in the US. And she is paid very well and is traveling through Asia.

I am a controller for an internet company and I also work with an Jewish Orthodox CPA. He has no problem with my tattoos, he prefers my abilities.

So stop being so judgemental. I have yet to hear what you do as a successful non tattooed woman.

Karen G Karen G
Aug '12

What does it mean to be accepting of all types of people? It means not judging them based on looks. You sound extremely superficial and judgmental and it's really sad that you would overlook the possible potential of a person based on this topic.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

"I personally don't like it and would not allow my own children to have one"

So what would you do if your kids who are in their 20s gets a tattoo?

I laugh when I hear a parent say they would NOT ALLOW their kids to get one. Heard that from my dad for 18yrs... then i got 1 and then another and then a 3rd. He did nothing... Then 2 of my sisters got mulitple tattoos, he still did nothing.

darwin darwin
Aug '12

I work in Corp HR..... the answer is no! You are only as professional as the visible writing on your body!

"do you think tattoos are OK to be VISABLE in school settings for young children where they are impressionable. "

I still don't get the question. So what if kids are impressionable they can't go out and get a tattoo.

Do you think that if a 5yr old has a teacher with a tattoo, that he will grow up to get one himself?

darwin darwin
Aug '12

So people with tattoos shouldn't be allowed in the workplace therefore shouldn't have jobs in offices. That pretty much sounds like discrimination to me. I don't have writing on my body, I have art and it's beautiful.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

BTW my 2 sister that have tattoos, 1 is a lawyer and the other is teacher . They're twins and got matching tattoo on their wrists... very noticable no one has ever said anything to them

darwin darwin
Aug '12

I know a girl that got a rosebud on the top of her brest when we were in high school it was so beartiful. 60 years later it has become a longstem rose and she hates the look of it. She wishes she never got it.

Snowflake Snowflake
Aug '12

"If doctors, lawyers, scientists etc start showing up with multiple visible tattoos and piercing, the perception of what they stand for might change, who knows. "

I'm still missing what is the preception that tattoos stand for. We're not talking about gang tattoos like tear drops on the face or mike tyson's tattoo, or the new neck tattoo movement going on are we? We are talking about normal arm, back, leg tattoos, right?

darwin darwin
Aug '12

old joke, Snowflake....old joke...

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Aug '12

Successful people with tattoos:

Winston Churchill - anchor on his arm
Franklin D. Roosevelt - family crest on his chest
King Alexander of Yugoslavia - eagle on his chest
King Frederick IX of Denmark - several tattoos
King George V - red dragon on his arm
George Schultz - tiger on his butt
Antonio Villaraigosa - "born to raise hell" (not sure where)
Barry Goldwater - Smoki symbol on his hand
JFK - Daggar and Shamrock
It's rumored that Sarah Palin has one.

George Orwell - blue spots on his knuckles
Thomas Edison - mysterious tattoo on his left forearm

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

Look where tatoos got them..........they're all dead!

John C John C
Aug '12

Sarah Palin is dead? Was she on the back of Bret Michaels' jetski?

darwin darwin
Aug '12

I wouldn't be suprised if LV MOM didn't know about some of her friends tattoos. You can't always see a tattoo. I don't go around telling people about mine and you can only see it when I am naked (so few have gotten a peek!)

Unless of course that is a question she may ask when she meets them?

LV Mom - if you become friends with someone and really like them - once you find out they have a tattoo you ditch them?

Hard to find someone without a tattoo now a days!

mommyofjack mommyofjack
Aug '12

oceanhaze...the list of unsuccessful people with tats in much longer...including 99% of convicts including Charles Manson and Mike Tyson.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Aug '12

Saw her the other night! If that ain't dead, I don't know what is!

John C John C
Aug '12

Call me old fashioned. I gave my opinion on tattoos and piercings, if you don't like it, I really don't care.

I wouldn't ditch a friend if I found she had one. I would be disappointed if one of my daughters decided to get one, so far neither has.

I would not use a nursery school who employed women with visible tattoos or facial piercings. Those of you okay with it, then go for it.

darwin, the OP asked about a full arm sleeve tattoo.

LV Mom
Aug '12

we saw your opinion, but you didn't give any reasoning to why

You keep saying those of us that are okay with it, go for it.... like it's something bad. Like we are letting a drug addict watch our kids.

Like somehow someone with tattoos is a lower class individual? Unfit to watch your kids?

darwin darwin
Aug '12

darwin, imo it is not good. I don't see it as a "art". It looks trashy to me when women have visible tattoos or facial piercings. I see it as people destroying their bodies. A full arm sleeve? Wouldn't have to think twice before walking out of any nursery school. Thank God, I'm well beyond that stage of my life:)

LV Mom
Aug '12

@predator I would say the ratio is about equal amongst famous people who I'm sure are some of your children's idols.

@LV mom. You're telling me that tattoos aren't art? The only difference is that it's on skin instead of canvas. Being a tattoo artist requires creativity, precision and the ability to think outside the box. Imagine what great contributions people like that could do for any company.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

You people are just insane!! I have a full sleeve on one arm and a 3/4 sleeve on my other. I also have multiple tattoos on other parts of my body. I have been schooled at some of the best law schools and work for a huge law firm in NYC. I have tried many cases in NYC and NJ court houses and NONE of my tattoos have ever affected the out come of my cases. My tattoos had NO decision on my law firm hiring me, in fact most of the partners in my firm have some themself. People who still discriminate against tattoos need to grow up and come into the 21st century!!!

LawLife LawLife
Aug '12

It's a funny thing about opinions. I'm entitled to mine on any subject and maybe I can offer them in a respectul way on a local forum...ONCE. I don't think I'm going to change anyone's mind if I go on and on. Maybe I think you're an asshole. My opinion. Should I say that? I don't think so.

IMO.

It really doesn't matter what your opinion is regarding tatoos. But when you are interviewing for a job, it ultimately depends how the person interviewing you feels about tatoos. Since you really won't know, I would say cover them up until you get your foot in the door.

Tweety Tweety
Aug '12

We are ALL intitled to our opinions. That included LVMom!

I don't agree, but it's her opinion and imagine how boring life would be if we all had the same one. :)

I just hope that this topic and everyones comments will help some folks look at people with tats in a different light.

I'm not saying you have to like tats, just try not to judge someone based only on their tats. :)

Aug '12

Wow! If you have a tattoo and YOU like it then I guess that's all that matters. The OP asked for our thoughts on VISIBLE tattoos on a nursery school teacher or during job interviews. Obviously if others can only see it when your naked it won't make a difference unless you plan on sleeping your way to the top. Feel free to plaster your whole ass with them!
Nursery school teachers are not only teaching children, but working with many families as a whole. Parents have every right to raise their child as they see fit and many would not want their child thinking that tattoos are appropriate. Remember the teacher is a role model to their child, so if they (parents) do not like tattoos why wouldn't it be okay for them to choose another school? It has nothing to do with the persons capabilities.
I have to agree with LV Mom that it makes women look a bit trashy when they are plastered with them (I'm not talking about the little heart/butterfly etc..) Whether you like it or not it makes a statement ~ just sayin....

Tattoos should deffinately be acceptable in a childs setting, you should not want your child to grow up discriminating . I know that at the daycare i worked for every teacher had at least one tat weather it was visible or not, and the daycare my son attended most of the teachers had tats and some had facial piercings. And with the generation of today most new age teachers of all grades will have tats. I know that right now i am 23 and most of my teachers through grammar school and high school had tats. Yhe doctor who delivered my children had tats. And i put press on cars tattoos on my 3 year old son cause he thinks they are cool..... And ill tell u i had my first tat done when i was 14 with my parents concent, my mother being someone who has no tats, but who believes i am my own person to make choices about my body. And at that age there were at least 3 other people in my class that got tattoos that year. If people , well parents in perticular havnt realised their children will make their own choices regardless then those parents are Nieve. Dont let my spelling and grammer fool u these touch screen phones do me no justice i have 12 visible tattooes and 3 facial piercing and 14 earings i worked at a daycare and at a childs theme park. I also went to college to be a teacher but am finding it hard to find work not based on my tattooes but the fact that its a growing field alot of teachers out of work but i know that 99percent of my graduating class had at least one tattoo so be prepared when these new graduates find jobs you will see alot more tatted up teachers dont judge

awebb awebb
Aug '12

ok, i mostly agree with lv mom, there are too many tats with too many negative images, brings me down sometimes looking at them, although have seen some really interesting and well done tats (rare, but it can happen)

art is in the mind of the beholder, it may be art, but there is a lot of art that I just don't care for

and no Darwin, i am not required to provide you with a reason for my opinion so you can play your little 'gotcha' games with whatever reason i provide. i get tired of you playing with the posters on here, assuming things not in evidence and then making things up as you go along to support your phony criticism of them, maybe backing off a bit would be good?

the human body is a gift, and a temple and it must be cared for, and it's our responsibility (and our free will and our free choice) to care for it however we wish, so for me and my family, no tattoos, for and yours, you can decide what is right, but don't demand that i accept or agree with your choice just as i won't demand that you agree with mine

Question: Are people with tattoos banned from donating blood?

i think the pic i attached sums up my feeling about this subject pretty well

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '12

shoebie shoebie
Aug '12

BD...Her money would have been better spent on slimfast..Just nasty.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Aug '12

BD,

I believe the waiting period for blood donation after getting a tattoo is 1 yr, the same as it is for people with any type of piercing.

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Aug '12

oceanhaze, what you see as art, I see more like graffiti of one's body.

cbel, if you're referring to me, I'm only trying to answer posts addressed to ME rather than rudely ignoring them. If answering those posts make me an asshole, in your opinion, fine by me. At least I only have to read it ONCE:)

awebb, you're not helping your cause here....

JRT and BD, thank you, I think we are pretty much in agreement.

LV Mom
Aug '12

LV mom, I am looking at preschools for my daughter and I would also have an issue with excessive body art or facial piercings. I'm pretty conservative and plain and would prefer my daughter be cared for by similar minded individuals. I think this is most likely because when I was growing up tattoos were just not seen that much and my parents frowned upon the very idea. My mom was also very much against the double pierced ear thing too so I ended up tattoo less and with only one ear piercing. Oddly enough I was the most eccentric one in our family. Go figure. I watch a few of those tattoo shows though and some of the art is pretty cool. I cannot imagine the pain though. Ugh. I cringe sometimes!

Antimony Antimony
Aug '12

If you people are that narrow-minded to think someone with a sleeve would be somehow less responsable, then I think you're the ones who need looking at.
Also those of you claiming to be conservative, who are also Christian, isn't it a sin to judge? Wouldn't a god look more unfavorably of your judgement of the body art as opposed to the art itself?

shoebie - hit the nail on the head.

theHHSinformant theHHSinformant
Aug '12

Personally don't have anything against ink but if your looking to a get a professional job -your not getting hired with a neck tattoo over the collar or a sleeve that is showing in the interview. Sorry not happening.
imo

But you didn't want that job anyway.

Peace

Conservative does not necessarily mean Christian/religious. It just means conservative. I don't think it's narrow minded insomuch as it's a personal preference, an opinion. For example, I wouldn't let someone with wild hair (bright colors or a Mohawk) cut my hair. They could be incredibly talented, but it's just not my style so I tend to stick with someone more conservative in their own appearance. I don't think anyone actually said that they feel tattooed people are irresponsible (it's a long thread so maybe I missed it if someone did) so I am surprised that this thread is so heated.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '12

A few years back I entered a gingerbread house contest in Long Valley that was held by super conserative women. Long story short they all were blown away with my work and I had won first place in more than one category... On my way to pick up my awards and prizes I thought it would be interesting to see their reaction to the "real me".. I walked in without my jacket on, full on tattooed sleeves and chest. Their eyes almost fell out of their head that I was the girl they adored days ago because of my masterpiece... It looked as if they didn't want to give me my prize lol... I pray that people wouldn't be so judgemental because of tattoos it's rather silly to me that you are so concerned with our appearance that it sways your opinion. I'm a loving mother.. Not a serial killer.

Cupcake37
Aug '12

And LV mom

What is your reasoning as to why you would never leave your children with someone who had a ton of tattoos or a couple piercings? Do you think we do drugs? Do you think we're "crazy" I'm curious, I'm ready for you to tell me why... My oldest daughter is highly intellectual and she was raised by two completey tattooed parents, spent many hours in a well known tattoo shop around some of the most down to earth people I know. The tattoo doesn't make the person. I think there are far more worse things to be concerned about. What are you afraid of? Your children liking tattoos? :)

Cupcake37
Aug '12

I'm not really sure I understand the viewpoint that the teacher is a role model and therefore you don't want the child thinking tattoos are acceptable. Of course I agree that the teacher is a role model. But personally I'd be more concerned with the how the teacher acts, teaches and interacts with others. Their personal appearance zilch to do with it, IMO. Should I avoid obese teachers since I don't want my child to think it is acceptable to abuse your body that way? No. I will just teach those principles in my own home and the child will learn that other people follow their own path and it is important to have your own principles and follow your own chosen path.

Plus we're talking about little kids! They are going to come across lots of people that have tattoos, some even that are viewed as role models (policemen, firemen, etc). There's plenty of time before the age of 18 (when said child can actually GET a tattoo) to get your "no tattoos for this family" message across.

LV Mom: I wasn't calling anyone on HL an a-hole. I would never do that.

What I was trying to say was even if I thought that of someone (in other words, my opinion), I would keep it to myself.

Every I look I see ink. It seems to me, these days, tattoos are now less about rebellion and more about conformity.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flavour404/3901815800/

I just found this as I've been going through old emails...thought it tied in well with this thread!!

Thanks for clarifying cbel. But,the OP here asked for opinions.

Cupcake37, Yes, my children liking and wanting tattoos is exactly why I would not choose a nursery school accepting of full arm sleeve tattoos. I thought I made that point early on in this thread. I did not want my children to falsely think I approved when I do not. I wanted care-givers who were similar to myself. I don't see why that's so hard to understand. Young children are very impressionable. My oldest daughter thought her pre-school teacher was the smartest woman in the world. I loved her just as much so it was all good. She represented everything I wanted my children to emulate.

Antimony, well said. I too tend to choose hairstylists with hair styles I'd like to see on myself and my children. It seems common sense and natural to me to do so.

LV Mom
Aug '12

Jams, OMG!!! lol

LV Mom
Aug '12

I don't normally agree with you, Jefferson, but I do in this instance. It seems to me that tattooing is just the next "trendy" thing to do, whereas years ago, it might have been about personal expression, commemorating something meaningful, or perhaps rebellion.

Lawlife, I'm curious, did you try your cases in t-shirts or in suits? How would a judge or jury even know you had tattoos?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '12

Glad I gave you a chuckle, LV mom!

I agree with MB you have plenty of time to teach your kids what you want. I'm not trying to be hostile in any way but what is telling your kids that tattoos are not accepted by you, that it's trashy.. Going to do? Making your kids think the way you think is not letting them be an individual. People like you make my brain hurt, I'm sorry if i sound rude, whatever.

And if people get tattooed because it's a "trend" I feel bad for them lol because you are stuck with the ink forever.. All of my tattoos have a story behind them it's not like I was a drunk teen who stumbled into a shop in NYC and got a rose tattoo with three of her friends lol..

Cupcake37
Aug '12

for me persoanlly, never saw the need to display my "stories" ... and i don't need a visual reminder for myself. also don't understand the need for the acknowledgement/stares/questions/shock value from others. seems like a way many get attention for not resolving some sad, deep seated hurts in one's life. does the pain of the tattoo needle, and consequent attention, make them feel more alive after being emotionally numb, or less guilty..now i feel the hurt too? i really don't know. no matter how well done or "arty", they just plain look cheap to me, imo, on men and women.

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Aug '12

What is the purpose of your tattoos? Lets get a little deeper into this; it has to be more than I just like them. One thing is to experiment with a haircut but the other is something quite permanent. Personally, I only understand getting a tattoo while in the military. But being a Libertarian I don't believe it is wrong as I do not see it hurting other people. If one does not like them, then move to a more conservative town or live with it...

Ok question... Would anyone have a different opinion if this were about smoking? Playing devil's advocate here - I personally do not hire babysitters that smoke. I see this qualifier in many a babysitting ad and since it is something within parental control, I kinda fail to see how it is all that much different. The person is going to be around my kid -and I'm paying them to do so I get to select any qualifier I want as the parent. I don't see how I am impeding my child's ability to be an individual. What if I was super crunchy granola like and did not like the idea of ink (chemicals) on the body? What if my religion did not support tattoos? I had a friend in high school that told me you could not be buried in a particular cemetery because of that. What about the dedicated health conscious parent that eats organic and runs 5ks? Maybe they would have a problem with an obese teacher. Kids could grow up switch religions and eat processed foods like Cheetos all day once they move out if they wanted to. Parents have to make decisions for their kids on a daily basis and I just really think that to dismiss someone else's opinion because it is different than perhaps your own is unfair. I have no doubt that the parents who are heavily tattooed and pierced love their kids any more or less than I love my own. It's like judging a vegetarian for not wanting to have dinner with me at Arthur's. It's just not their think and if that vegetarian's kids came over for a play date, I wouldn't bust out the hamburger helper. I'd respect that other parent. I'd respect their opinion. They are entitled to it. Shoot now you folks make me want to start quoting Voltaire.....

I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '12

SO judgemental! Never, ever judge a book by its cover. Its wrong!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '12

Gen3townie

I don't know if your being condescending or what but you have a strange perception of tattooed people?

Cupcake37
Aug '12

@Shoebie.... very true. People need to be more openminded and not as judgemental. Don't judge people , just get to know them.

Sweetpeav Sweetpeav
Aug '12

cupcake-- not at all condescending. just seems to me that many folks with tattoos seem to tell stories of loss, abuse, drug addiction survival, painful or sad memories attached to their tattoos. admittedly, i have only ever talked to maybe ten people with tattoos, and have observed these sad stories on shows like Kat VonD, etc. interesting to me to see patterns in what folks say or do.

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Aug '12

Of course you would get that stereotypical story from a tattoo show considering they pick and choose what they want the viewers to see.. My tattoos are things I love, love to look at, memories, my children, they tell a story of my personality.. In addition to that I love art & color... I think that if more of you would be open minded to our lifestyle you would think it was pretty neat. Our bodies are just a shell, why not decorate it? :D

Cupcake37
Aug '12

cupcake-- interesting that the clumping together of "more of you" (ouch.. talk about sterotyping!) being less "open minded" makes presumptions about someone you do not know. if you read carefully, i use the word "seem" indicating my understanding that "admittedly only having talked to ten people...and observing these sad stories" on tv doesn't give me a wide base for my observation. consequently, that indicates an openness to understanding what you describe as "our lifestyle." your statement that our bodies are just a shell to decorate is very intersting to me also... not a judgement, just interesting. in future, maybe don't defensively jump to the conclusion that because someone honestly reports their limited exposure/understanding of something they are being condescending or judgemental .

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Aug '12

I teach and have tattoos, however I always wear long sleeves ( I have 2 tattoos on my arms in memory of my father who passed away) to cover those tattoos up. I do have one on my foot that can be seen and I do not try to cover it up (too much work). I believe that it depends on the environment. If I were to meet with a sales consultant trying to sell something and they have tattoos all over their arms(visibly) then as a potential customer I may be less inclined to buy their product. It is not because they have tattoos, but because they are not dressed professionally. Just like I would not be happy if my doctor came in looking hung over with messy hair and wrinkled clothing. It is unfortunate that as a society we judge people, but there are certain expectations that certain professions should uphold. I do have several tattoos, each with very personal meanings, and while I do not regret a single one, I feel that as an educator I should look presentable and make sure I appear that way. I personally wish we could all just look how we want to in work or out of, but in the real world it does not work that way.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Aug '12

Thank you for your post, sunshinenj...I think you just said it all!!

joyful joyful
Aug '12

Lv mom... being a Doctor or having a hire powerd job is YOUR opinion of successful.. people can make a ton of money and be miserable. I teach my kids to do their best. That sucess is not measured on how much you make, but happiness and treating others with kindness. I have friends from all walks of life. It doesn't get you too far in life with your thought process. Shame on you for judging somone based on their body... I am sure if this women/girl was working in a daycare she loved kids and was great with them.

s@hm
Aug '12

Its only my opinion but I think some that are tatted up are looking for attention just like dying your hair green or purple. NOt for me I would rather spend my money on eating, drinking and hookers.

jerseycash5
Aug '12

My hair is purple, because it's my favorite color.

Cupcake37
Aug '12

do you think tats are frowned apon on job interviews ?? No, if you are interviewing for a skateboard shop or menial job where your appearance will not turn off customers. The majority of people I see with visible tats are not high wage earners or in professional jobs.

Bruin Bruin
Aug '12

I bet that many doctors, lawyers, politicians, VP's, CEO's have tattoos and some are probably covered. However most cover them up because they know that public appearance is everything (unfortunately). Like I said no one in my school knows about any of my tattoos except the one on my foot and even coworkers at previous jobs had no idea I had any until one day I came in wearing short sleeve shirts (which is a rarity in itself). It is about appearance and looking professional. While tattoos are common and many people have them, certain professions are meant to be dressed up and have a "specific look" Outside of work dress however you want! Show the tattoos or piercings. I used to have piercings but never showed them during work either, but once I stepped outside those doors it was a different story. Again everything is about being professional. I love tattoos (my fiance hates them) and enjoy looking at good artwork on a person, but they are not appropriate to show for some jobs.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Aug '12

Joyful, I agree with you. "Sunshinenj" said it perfectly. It doesn't matter what one's opinion is about tatoos. Depending on your job, it's all about how others feel. My daughter is a teacher as too. She sat in on an interview panel to hire a new teacher. The best candidate for the job had visible tatoos. Unfortunate one of the older administrator was bothered by this and would not offer "the best candidate" the job. Unfortunate but realistic in our society.

Tweety Tweety
Aug '12

I don't see how it's unfortunate. If you can't forsee the consequences of sef-indulgence down the road, maybe it's time to slow down and consider things. Most people have an urge to be noticed by other people, to stand out in the crowd. I did it when I was younger with clothing/fashion/behavior. Luckily, that way is not permanent, and I could change clothes/behavior for a job interview or other interaction in which my personal "individuality" was not necessarily appreciated. Can't change out of your skin. People always judge people on appearances. I'd rather be judged on my book, not my cover.

Bruin Bruin
Aug '12

Listen, I know people judge and that's fine. That's how it's always been. I'm just trying to help open up people's eyes so that they can realize that tattoos don't make a person who they are and that we are just like you. We want the best for ourselves, our children, our families, we have emotions. I for one did not get tattoos b/c they were trendy or for attention. I happen to like tattoos. I've liked them since I was in high school and always said I wanted sleeves. Well, that's what I'm doing. If I wanted attention, I wouldn't do something so permanent to get it. Only one tattoo on my body could be perceived as negative. But one wouldn't know based on what it looks like. It's a reminder for me of a wonderful person who left this world prematurely. Are some tattoos trashy? YES! Are all? NO! My mother and father love me. It was hard for my mother at first but I looked at her and said there are a lot worse things I could be doing to myself. This isn't a health risk, and for those of you who like to state "oh the body is your temple" think about that the next time you go to the McDonald's drive-thru and pick yourself up a cheeseburger, french fries, and a large coke.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

This too....

shoebie shoebie
Aug '12

This too...

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Aug '12

I personally would not get a tattoo but I don't care if someone else does. Just because someone has a tattoo doesn't mean they are trashy.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Aug '12

Yep ~ sunshinenj has said it best 2x.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

@predator you clearly don't know anything about Mason. He actually didn't have tattoos until he was in prison. Ya know what? Dahmer, Gacy, and Bundy, some of America's most famous serial killers, did not have any tattoos. Priests, have molested children are all priests child molesters? Educate yourself before posting pictures linking tattooed people to serial killers.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

Yes I know he got the tat in prison.Heres another convict.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Aug '12

Mommyof3 what do you suppose your babies are gonna get tattooed with when they're old enough? Tramp stamp? dragons? Good thing you don't mind! ;)

Bruin Bruin
Aug '12

@Tracy Most trials I do have a suit on but my sleeve can be seen if I am raising my hand above my arm to demonstrate something. There have also been times when during long trials (especially during the summer when it gets hot) that the jacket comes off and the shirt sleeves get rolled up.

LawLife LawLife
Aug '12

OH...Where did I link tattoos to serial killers ? all I did was post a picture of Manson.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Aug '12

Oh Predator I apologize. I should have said convicts.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

I still don't get the logic that if somehow your nursery aged kid is taught by a tattooed teacher he/she will be more likely to get a tattoo when they grow up. That seems insane to me.

Does anyone even remember their nursery school teacher; left alone think they were an influence on you? I'm not trying to put down nursery school teachers I’m just saying you were so young at that age you usually forget everything about them.

Not to mention that almost every movie star, athlete, musician has visible tattoos so your kid is going to see/idolize someone with tattoos at some point in their childhood. It doesn't mean they are going to run out and get a tattoo? NO!

darwin darwin
Aug '12

Darwin, I'm completely with you. All these parent's that are so against tattoos probably don't even hesitate when it comes to their children idolizing all the famous people that have them. Honestly, I don't remember my nursery school teacher and I'm sure no one else on here does.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

Can everyone with tats post a photo. We can all vote giving each tat a number from 1 - 5 with 5 being the best. I dont have any so I will be a good judge.

jerseycash5
Aug '12

I'll go along with this...the pic I am posting is a picture of a cardinal on my ribs in memory of my father who was a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan (so am I) but I decided to get a real cardinal instead. I also have 2 shooting stars on my arms because the night he passed away there was a shooting star in the sky and I got them on my arms because that is where I held him until the ambulance arrived (he had several medical issues and had already passed) Sorry not trying to be a downer!!! The cardinal though is what I am posting.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Aug '12

I give the Cardinal a 5 . You are not being a downer !!

jerseycash5
Aug '12

I have to say that I'm quite surprised that this discussion is still going strong-clearly it's a passionate issue for many people.

At the very heart of the argument here, if I might be so bold, is the issue of "art", and that is a subjective argument at best. What some consider "art", others consider abominations.

Perfect example: there was a huge controversy several years ago about the works created by an artist named Mapplethorpe. Art galleries displayed his work, and those who disapproved protested mightily outside of the gallery.

There are those who absolutely adore Anne Geddes pictures, and those who wouldn't ever, ever, ever purchase anything that she creates.

There are those who love Japanese anime art and those who don't. I go into a home decorated in all Asian inspired themes, and don't care for it, but the homeowner loves it. I prefer an uncluttered kind of look, while some friends have their homes decorated in entirely different styles: homey, country style decor, while another prefers antiques.

What's the first thing people generally do when they move into new quarters? Redecorate with their own style.

So some people love the "art" on their bodies, while others don't. And each one's opinions are valid, because, well....it's their opinion. Some people enjoy decorating their bodies, while others don't.

Some of my children have tattoos, some don't. I don't really care. But don't for a minute think that things like tattoos, hair color, piercings, hair styles, clothing, don't contribute to a person's impression of you.

A person dressed in Calvin Klein, carefully styled hair, expensive jewelry, and Manolo Blahnik shoes is judged. So is a person with teal hair, facial piercings, tattoos, and strategically torn jeans.

I found it amusing that those with tattoos were accusing those who don't care for them of being "judgmental". Saying things like "All these parent's that are so against tattoos probably don't even hesitate when it comes to their children idolizing all the famous people that have them. " is pretty judgmental and a broad, sweeping generalization.

I think both sides of this argument are guilty of judging each other.

This was long, but the Reader's Digest Condensed version is that each side has a strongly held opinion, and I don't see either side changing their mind, and that people on both sides are actually judging the other's beliefs.

lilac lilac
Aug '12

lilac, exactly!

sunshinenj, while I'm no fan of tattoos, the sentiment behind yours is lovely and I'll give that a 5 :)

LV Mom
Aug '12

ocean haze said "Honestly, I don't remember my nursery school teacher and I'm sure no one else on here does"

The only thing I do remember is that she didn't have a tattoo

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

Firefly - unless you saw your nursery school teacher in the buff - how do you know if she had a tattoo or not?

She didn't have one - THAT YOU SAW.....

mommyofjack mommyofjack
Aug '12

Finally got me a tat today...jerseycash5 hows this one ?

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Aug '12

Predator will get his azz kicked wearing that tat around here. I would give it a 3. I saw a similar bumper sticker.

jerseycash5
Aug '12

Nice tat sunshinenj, I love the story of why you got it. Not a downer at all.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '12

Bottom line... You are not trashy because you have a tattoo.. If you have tattoos it doesn't mean you don't make good money. To each their own. No one has to like what's on your body. And for the people who pass judgment on the child cAre worker, or bank teller, or doctor.. Whatever your carrier may be... If your passing judgment because of something on someone's body, it shows your ignorance. You don't have to like what others choose to put on their body, but don't be so foolish to make a judgment of the type of person they are, because of a picture in their skin.

S@hm
Aug '12

know someone who works at a local day care-- which is part of a national franchise, and not a private or church run place -- she was telling me that part of their contract is not to have any "visible tattoos." anything on the arms, legs, neck, or chest must be covered when on site.

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Aug '12

I have no problem tattoos - I just think this is funny.

http://youtu.be/UlkFmtr9fyE

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Aug '12

*with tattoos

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Aug '12

gen3Townie,

I don't think any of us have a problem with that. That is their company's policy. A lot of companies have that policy. And as an employee we must all follow company policies or choose not to work there.

What I think is bothering some of us here is the prejudice individuals have toward tattooed individuals and the absolute lack of common sense that if somehow their children come in contact with someone with tattoos that they will grow up to get one themselves.

darwin darwin
Aug '12

Have to say I'm old school and my association with sleeves, excessive tattooing seem to be linked to the cultural status back when I was growing up it was viewed differently. Led me to google the history and I found an interesting article http://www.tattooartist.com/history.html.

Which explained to me at least; where that association came from and why those feelings are there.

Answer to the question, I think it's professional to cover them in the work place.

I believe that most of the people who say they wouldn't associate with people who have them don't even know some people have them. How do you know unless you have seen that person naked. I know people that have them in areas that are never shown.
How do you know who has one and who doesn't? Is that your first question when meeting someone?

mommyofjack mommyofjack
Aug '12

@Lilac. Thank you for your support in this however, I was judging people without tattoos which is the reason why probably and not definitely was used in that sentence. It's just funny that there is no stigma when it comes to famous people having tattoos but if an average individual does then automatically some people (I said some, not all) are quick to think negatively. Tattoos aren't for everyone, I understand that, but I don't care if people don't have them yet some people without them seem to care.
@Jerseycash5. I'm not going to post my tattoos on here to be judged. This agrgument has come down to judging people with/without tattoos. I'm not subjecting myself any further to some (again some) of the people on this forum who can not see the beauty of art on skin.

I don't want to be judged based on tattoos whether it's judging me or the art, that's my point.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

I know I just posted but I have to also put this out there just to show how similar I am to some people without tattoos.
I have a job (I'm lucky in this economy and am grateful), I pay my bills, I have health insurance, I own a car, I have a roof over my head, I have 401k, I'm getting married in a year, I have dogs, I have great friends, and although I don't personally have children, I'm extremely loving of the children around me and will do everything in my power to help support their parents in helping shape them into wonderful people. I don't sound so negative now, do I? If I had a long-sleeved shirt on you would have no idea and I would sound like the average person, but short sleeves and I'm scum. Again, think about it.

oceanhaze oceanhaze
Aug '12

you know whats funny oceanhaze, all this talk about tattoos has made me really want to get another one. I'm going to have my wife draw what i have in mind. She went to art school and drew my last tattoo for me and it came out great....

darwin darwin
Aug '12

Just don't get any from this guy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steelers-tattoo-might-brilliant-probably-not-162936217--nfl.html

I was bored and found his facebook page and the tattoos he does. Very scary!!!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Aug '12

My dad was sailor, went to sea full time in 1929 as a 14 year old. He returned home from that first trip with a Rose and dagger on one forearm and snake and sword on the other. I suspect they looked pretty good on a ripped 14 year old kid and might have allowed him to get into bars in Europe that he otherwise would not have, The tattoos were already 32 years old when I was born. I don't recall noticing them until I was in Kindergarden, you could still tell what they were but they had aged from being on a working mans arms for that long.

By the time he died at age 78 they looked like nasty bruises on both arms. My dad was never ashamed of them or proud of them, they were just a part of what he was. He apparently had a reputation as a youth for being pretty tough, but to my mom and me he was always pretty soft hearted. He raised me to say please and thank you in two languages, "Because good manner and being polite are important to all cultures".

Tattoos do not make the man (or the woman), there are plenty of good folks with them and just as many evil folks without them. Judge the person by their actions, not their looks, their clothes, their skin or their accent.

BTW I never got a tattoo, my middle son has one. I looks pretty cool now, I suspect I won't have to see in 50 years.

Agust Agust
Aug '12

Boston tattoo convention - http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/boston-tattoo-convention/7XKbDSEzRBWynmBmnvrgwJ/gallery.html?pg=1&t=150&cp=1

Rutgers University reports on registered voters and tattoos in NJ

http://eagletonpollblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/and-now-a-break-from-politics-presenting-tattoos/

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

I'm with you LVMom. Tattoos are not attractive. While they might not always indicate low morals or lack of intelligence they do, IMO. indicate poor judgment. I have yet to see one that looks good on a man or woman. I always feel embarassed for the person sporting one. You are not a rebel or an artist or nonconformist because you have one. You are just someone who had too much to drink one night and let your friends convince you to do something permanently ridiculous.

I find it doubtful that all that have tattoos had to much to drink and did something ridiculous on a whim. Sounds like the old stereotype of the drunken sailor home on leave that got MOM or SWEETHEART tattooed on their arm. Most now know what they want, and make an appointment to have one done. I personally don't have any, but know many that do, and whether I like them or not, I would never say the judgmental things that I've read here. Last I knew (and believe), there was going to be one judge of us and it's not anyone on this forum. I'm actually embarrassed for those that feel it's OK to ridicule a group of people publicly just because they don't like something about someone else that has no affect on their life whatsoever. Just my thoughts.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '12

Luv you Bessie

S@hm
Sep '12

Ignorance

S@hm
Sep '12

Perfectly said, Bessie.

Tweety Tweety
Sep '12

I have a question, do you think tattoos are appropriate in the workplace ? Schools for example would you leave your child with someone who has a full arm sleeve tattoo in a nursery school. or would you view it different in a high school setting ? and do you think tats are frowned apon on job interviews ??

I think Tattoos are ok in the work place so long as they are not susjestive or inapropret . as far as the nursery school teacher I say its ok , same with high school teachers .
yes I do feel that Tattoos are fround apon in job interviews ,

I will not falt some one for haveing a tat , If you come to me and say what do you think of getting a tat I will say no please dont

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '12

I think Tattoos are frowned upon also but like anything else one bad apple can spoil the bunch. Those people with the pot leaf, foul language, and the one's that just have awful pathetic tattoos are the ones giving the entire tattooed population a bad name. At one point having one made a statement about being an individual now that everyone has one the statement has changed.

Whenever you are part of a group you risk getting a bad rap because of others. Don't be so sensitive and defensive about a blot of ink on your body. Whether you have a tattoo or not ( I do) know who you are, know what your values are and the hell with everyone else.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

Very well said, Bessie. :)

Sep '12

I have yet to see a tattoo that I feel actually improves upon one's appearance and, as art, to me rate right up there with cattle brands but some like honey and some like vinegar so to each his own.

And while a person with extreme body art does not bother me, a group of twenty sporting skulls and other mayhem might raise a neck hair or two. But then again, so does a group of twenty Episcopalians :>)

But Firefly --- a pot leaf is a "awful pathetic tattoos.......giving the entire tattooed population a bad name????" Never once if surrounded by twenty people sporting pot leaves have I ever felt bothered :>) I think what you call pathetic, many others might call a concert, a party or something else equally festive. See honey or vinegar, you be the judge but best not to judge others.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Sep '12

Firefly, great post.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '12

Stir the pot much mistergoogle? and you need to read my post again. I never said the pot leaf is the awful tat but if you want me to start posting pictures of the "awful" tattoos I am talking about I can. This subject is about tattoos in the workplace. I think a visible tattoo of a pot leaf is going to hinder an interview - no matter what job you are applying to.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

To each his own. But if I am hiring for a daycare center, I will admit that this guy is not getting the job offer if another candidate is qualified.

I have tattoos on my arms and I do not hide them at work. They do not get in the way of what I do nor does it make me incapable of doing my job. Are most of you saying that even though someone has a phd and is the best in the business that just because they have tattoos means you will not hire them?! It is frustrating! I would NEVER judge you by what how you look. I still dress professionally and do my job. I even have clients ask about my tattoos and they like them. Some people really need to get over it and stop letting something like this get in the way of a job. Can't believe people would deny someone a job because of tattoos. Ridiculous some people are.

njds23 njds23
Sep '12

Yes I will judge you, as a person who has poor judgement if you have any visible murals all over your body.. I would not hire you. Tattoos are unprofessional and a major turn off to me. You will not be representing my company that way looking like a clown in the circus. If you are stupid enough to deface your body then you will be limiting your earning capacity. Think before you do sometime stupid!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '12

Thank you Tracy.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

@ Mr. Negative- How does getting tattoos equal poor judgement? I am a church going, honest person who has never gotten a ticket, ever had detention in school, I have a college degree, I am engaged, a teacher, I have won awards for community service, and am respected by my coworkers and friends. Does all of this get wiped away because I have tattoos? I know CEO's who have no tattoos, but cheat on their wives and are drunks..should they be representing their company and held high in the communities eyes? Who are you to judge someone based off of a tattoo? I wonder how many people you probably know and respect have tattoos and you don't even know it. It is sad that the world is SO JUDGMENTAL over someones personal choice to get a tattoo. I do not agree w/every tattoo people get. I think some are incredibly stupid, pointless, and vulgar. However I know that every single one of mine means something to me and not you or any other narrow minded person can change my mind on getting tattoos.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Sep '12

Sad to see so many judgemental people. I am a mother, business woman, wife, sister & dayghter. I never was arrested, drink & drive and consider myslef a pretty good pillar of the community. I was not drunk when I got my tat made the appointment and did not get one til I was 40. Actually went with my son and got one together. So I am pretty sure I am in the norm here.

Maja I HIGHLY doubt that that man with the tattoos will be a preschool teacher.

Christine Christine
Sep '12

I sincerely doubt we are talking about the cute little unicorn on the ankle or rose on the shoulder that would be a problem in the workplace.

Since when is having an opinion being judgemental?

Why do some people care so much about what others think?

Christine, maybe not a pre-school teacher but maybe the guy that works at the local gas station. Hmmm...yes that is most likely where you will find him but you won't find me because I will be going to the next one down the street. Why would I want to look at that even for a moment?

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

LOL, no he won't be a daycare worker. His picture was on the internet because he was arrested. The tattooed eyeball sounded unusual (ouch, who would think it is possible) and I remembered there was a tattoo thread. Other than that, I have no interest one way or the other about anyone's tattoo preference.

Since when is having an opinion being judgemental?

Why do some people care so much about what others think?

I tend to think opinion and judgmental are interchangeable, it just depends on what side of the issue you're on. At least that's my view of it.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '12

Mr. Negative... I feel sorry for you. And your "name" seems to suit you. You are so nasty. I can imagin a person like yourself doesn't have many friends with the judgment you so freely pass. You sound "happy" with yourself and your company and all your staff. A picture on someone's body does not make them stupid, or a low earner, or belong in the circus. I wonder if you would have the same negative things to say if someone with tattoos made your company millions. Hmmm guess you will never know, because of your closed mind.

S@hm
Sep '12

Well said sunshinenj

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Sep '12

Mr Negative, please let me know the name of your company so i can make sure i never do business with you. thanks.

darwin darwin
Sep '12

@Darwin

What is the problem? A dose of Reality hurts? I will not have a DISTRACTION in my place of business.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '12

"I will not have a DISTRACTION in my place of business."

That's big of you. Thanks.

After skimming the thread i think I see the main points. Personally I find most tats ridiculous and not something I would do myself, but I also don't care for anyone who feels the need to regularly use foul language for no apparent reason. Both folks can do what they want, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them or like their choices.

IOW, my view has nothing to do with stereotypes at all but rather my personal preference. If my doctor cursed in my presence for no reason I would find another doctor. Is that wrong? Same thing with tats. For whatever reason you want to make a statement with your body, that's fine. But why is it wrong if I don't care for it and don't wish to view it? If I ran a business, let's say Hooters, that wanted to portray a certain image for prospective clients it is well within my rights as a business owner to hire employees that meet those goals. It has NOTHING to do with you the person and everything to do with the image you project toward clients.

It's obvious to me that tat's don't make the person (I'm not sure why people think that's the case), but they certainly make a visible, intentional statement. I mean, isn't that why people get tats in the first place, to have a visual representation of something that gives them joy? Why would anyone be surprised when others don't feel the same?

C'est la vie.

justintime justintime
Sep '12

Do you allow them to be customers or do you find them such a turnoff you don't want their money?

Bessie Bessie
Sep '12

Hear that everybody? Mr. Negative goes to work to get turned on.

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Sep '12

Quite a few years back, there was a new math teacher at Hack Middle School, she was young and cute. Nice at Back to School nite, etc. Later on in the year, some of the kids caught a peek as she bent over and the tatoo over the crack of her butt was visible. Although I do not have any problems with tatoos, some are beautiful, it did change my opinion of her. This teacher had it covered it up, but because of the circumstances, I had to explain it my kid.

A skull means death...you tatoo that on yourself and what is the message??

acl76 acl76
Sep '12

"What is the message??"

Perhaps "live life to the fullest". Maybe "carpe diem". Even "count your blessings". Or does it mean "your parents will judge me"?

Here are some reasons why skulls are popular as tatoos, from Common Tatoos and their meaning, hubpages.com I don't know anyone with a skull tatoo but just in case anyone wants to know.

Skull Tattoos

Skull Tattoos are very common and one of the most misunderstood tattoos.

Skulls can serve a number of symbolic purposes. The most common being of death and mortality. But, one can use the image of a skull to symbolize various things. Such as, Protection, Strength, Power, Overcoming death, Overcoming a tough time, A past life or major changes.

Although, at first glance they may appear to resemble a gothic, negative, or evil image, they do not always mean what they resemble. The meaning behind a word, is just as strong as a meaning behind an image.

Each person that chooses to have a skull tattooed on his/her body, has a reason a purpose, a means. Not every case is a skull meaningful, but in many, they can be.

Some people also like to balance out the ominous appearance with something a little lighter. For instance, flowers growing around or in the eye sockets of a skull shows a balance of light and dark, life and death.

Skull tattoos may also have significance for those in the medical field, or those who have suffered and survived accident or illness. These tattoos may include many features that are important to the wearer and are often very realistic in appearance.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '12

Looks like maja has reignited the fire.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Sep '12

The cranky secretary can be more of a distraction. Plenty of people have made their points that they are successful AND have tattoos. So to retract the comment about being a low earner would be appropriate.

S@hm
Sep '12

I did not know that about the skulls...I love the tatoos that memorialize a loved one, etc.

acl76 acl76
Sep '12

@acl76 I learned about the skulls too!

Bessie Bessie
Sep '12

This Guy will be making serious money When you realize your mistake!

Laser tattoo removal costs $45/square inch per treatment for the first 5 square inches, $25/square inch for square inches 6-10, and $15/square inch for 11 square inches and up. There is a minimum charge of $99 for laser tattoo removal. For example, a tattoo of 12 square inches would cost:

$45 X 5 + $25 X 5 + 2 X $15= $380/treatment (plus any applicable tax)

Since laser tattoo removal requires multiple treatments, it is strongly recommended that you commit to the number of treatments recommended by your physician. You will receive a 20% package discount when you do so. If your tattoo is gone sooner, any extra sessions will be refunded. If you require additional sessions, you can purchase them at the same discounted rate.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '12

Nobody cares. Stop worrying so much about what others do to their body's . It doesn't have anything to do with you. The fact that you Are so against them says something only about you... Maybe you had a bad experience with someone with with a tattoo. In that case, again I am sad for you.

S@hm
Sep '12

Yawn...

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

Do whatever you want to your body.. No one cares. It’s you who has to deal with and congrats to people who are tattooed and has great job. I hope you love your job and will continue to contribute to our society. Go get tattoo, ear gauge, lip gauge.. I who am I to say it’s right or wrong. From my experience being in IT field in big company, I only seen people with tattoos as CSR (Customer Service representative) who handles phone calls. I’ve seen few CSR supervisors who has tattoo to but not in manager position. Yell out "YOLO" and dive in

yea because everyone that has tattoos looks as stupid as that guy

darwin darwin
Sep '12

Correct Darwin!

I will not have a moron looking like this at my place of business!
Refering to visible Exposed Tattoos.. What you have on your back, chest or legs is your business and long as it does not distracting business and it is hidden. I want productivity, not a distracted that is costing me money. My company deals with end income Manhattan clients in face to face sales situation. Call me prejudice, that is the reality of the real world.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '12

Unfortunately it IS the reality of the real world. Many dont like it, but it is what it is.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Sep '12

Thought this article was relevant

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeswomanfiles/2011/10/25/visible-tattoos-and-other-corporate-no-nos/

Think it’s funny the company that has hired so many unstable people that the term "going postal" was coined has a no tattoo policy. Along with a company know for cheap low quality food. Glad I made the career choice of not being a mailman or Denny's waiter

Company that are Tattoo friendly:
http://www.tat2x.com/Tattoo-Friendly-Jobs_b_108.html

Companies that ask their employees to cover up:
http://www.tat2x.com/Employers-With-Tattoo-Policies_b_107.html

And just so everyone is on the same page, no one is talking about FACE tattoos!!! So stop being stupid and trying to compare some those of us that got tattoos on our arms, back, legs with nutjobs that got their face tattooed

darwin darwin
Sep '12

BTW my 2 boys went to kindergarten and prescholl today with temporary pirate tattoos on their arms.

darwin darwin
Sep '12

S@hm
Sep '12

Hope they dont get thrown out Darwin. :)

Or labled!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Sep '12

"And just so everyone is on the same page, no one is talking about FACE tattoos!!! So stop being stupid and trying to compare some those of us that got tattoos on our arms, back, legs with nutjobs that got their face tattooed" - darwin

So... you're prejudiced against people with face tattoos? Why should others then not be able to be prejudiced against people with ANY tattoo? Why do YOU get to draw the line as to what is acceptable?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '12

ding, ding, ding!! ianimal.....we have a winner with that response. Beautifully said!!

ianimal, :)

LV Mom
Sep '12

Where did i say i was prejudiced towards them????

Did i say i wouldn't hire them or have them watch my kids??

No i just called them nutjobs... :)

darwin darwin
Sep '12

This thread came to mind when I saw this pic.

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '12

Tattoos are just nasty...lets leave it at that.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Sep '12

Beware of black temporary tattoos - http://www.boston.com/dailydose/2013/03/25/are-temporary-tattoos-toxic-fda-warns-against-them/1MWmKyeCndZkeyknryVDvK/story.html

I ran a daycare program out of my home and while doing this, I met a wonderful man who rode a Harley and had a lot of beautiful tattoos. He was a great guy and came from a close loving family. The parents of the children who were placed in my care told me they wanted him to get a background check. His past was 'unexpectedly' clean. All but one parent began to accept him being around. Most actually grew to really like him. His tattoos were a turn on for me so I have nothing against tattoos. In fact I would like to get one eventually….when I get over my fear of needles. On the other side of the coin…I know a 28 year old young woman who is going to school so that she can get into the medical field. She is obsessed with tattoos and keeps getting more. They are all dark…'cemeteries' and 'skulls'. She loves watching horror flicks and is obsessed with skulls, skeletons, the walking dead, etc. She only wears black. If I was a patient in the hospital and saw her tattoos…I would freak out. I would feel that she was obsessed with death…something I wouldn't want to think a lot about…especially if I was in the hospital. Many tattoos are gorgeous. Some are sentimental. Some are cheerful. Some are beautiful. Some are stupid and some are dark. Think…before you get one. How will this affect you in terms of the line of work that you would like to pursue? Cemeteries, grave stones, skulls, skeletons in a medical setting? If I saw this person while i was a patient…I would insist on being transferred out of there because she would scare the heck out of me. The tattoos that a person chooses really does affect how other people see them. They do cause people to make first impressions…some positive and some negative. Pictures really do speak a thousand words so if you are going to get them…think about the message you will be sending. Your choice of tattoo art does reflect your personality. Does your tattoo's reflect a creative, positive, happy, cheerful individual? Or do they reflect a dark, depressing, moody, rebellious negative individual? Yes…your choice of art will make a first and lasting impression. Try to make it a good one.

For the people arguing against piercings and gauges. Why is it that "normal" earrings are ok but a gauge isn't? Additionally, how come a nose ring is "gross" and "unprofessional", but earrings aren't?

Someonehere
May '15

Lately cops are wearing very visible tattoos. Haven't seen in this area yet, so I don't know if they have them or not, but in other areas, I've seen tattoos go half way down the neck of some officers in uniform. I never saw this before the year 2000.
Personally I don't care how people decorate their bodies, it's just that I grew up with the reputation that tattoos where taboo for any who was "clean cut ".

The only exception to my post, as pointed out earlier, is someone in the health care field wearing something like a bunch of skeletons going down their arms and visible while at work.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

Tattoos are so unatural for your body. My doctor will downgrade his level of services to patients with tattoos. He sees this as a careless and immature invasion to your beautiful skin that you recklessly puncture..over looks. See what happened to Pamela Anderson, dirty needles..Hepatitis. Why take the chance?? Leave your body alone, go paint a picture of your favorite tatoo on the side of your car.

tat hater
May '15

Guess your doctor isn't cognizant of the bloodbourne pathogen certifications and aseptic technique used today - I would get a new doctor.

As far as cops - that's a uniform and that looks unprofessional quite frankly. Many departments have a no visible tattoos guideline

skippy skippy
May '15

Can't help but visualize what those bodies that are very tatooed now.will look like when they are 80-90 or more years old. Things have a way of moving south so that snake on the neck will be grabbing at your waist. Those skeletons, gravestones etc. may be ok now, but think about when you are in a nursing home and they are stretching out of shape from saggy skin. Just my perspective on tatooes and the aging process.

justwondering justwondering
May '15

This is the 3rd time you have repeated this comment. WHO CARES. I take good care of my body and my tats are for me and nobody else. My grandmother was always in awesome shape and she would have rocked a tattoo at 80.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
May '15

From a corporate perspective you will be better off to be able to cover your tattoos. That still leaves a lot of real estate...

http://www.njsp.org/recruit/faq.html

Q14.

Does the New Jersey State Police have a policy regarding tattoos?

A14.

Yes.
No tattoos/body art/brands on an enlisted member's face, head, neck, scalp, hands, or any parts of the exposed body shall be visible when in uniform or in civilian clothing while on duty. Additionally, no member shall publicly or privately display a tattoo/body art/brand that is prejudicial to good order, discipline, or causes a discredit to the member or the Division while acting in any capacity.

skippy skippy
May '15

here you go just wondering

skippy skippy
May '15

justwondering,

Is visualizing a non-tattooed 90 year old body really that much better?

Pretty awful, imo, skippy. I don't know who the comment about the 3rd time posting was directed towards, but since it was right after mine I guess it was directed at me. I have not posted on this before and it is my opinion.

justwondering justwondering
May '15

As I have told others- a great business opportunity in the next 10 years is Tattoo Removal. I think the current generation will have second thoughts on their choices by that timeframe- and many current places will offer removal services also, or shops just for removal will become popular.

One thing we can count on, everything eventually comes back to the middle- so the current trends of tattooing will eventually die out, and having no tattoo's will again become desirable.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
May '15

They're not on YOUR body so what does it matter?! To each their own. You are pre-judging people. How about you take the time to have an actual conversation with said inked persons instead of making assumptions?

Buffy Buffy
May '15

so what San is saying is that we should be accepting of tattoos, but only ones San approves of? I don't care if my Dr is covered in tattoos of cemeteries or My Little Ponies. I care about how he is as a dr.

as for tat hater's dr, did he tell you this? That that's how he sees tattoos and how he treats those with them? Talk about not being professional

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
May '15

All good

skippy skippy
May '15

I don't know, Lori... if I found out my doctor was a 'Bronie, I'm pretty sure I'm checking to see who else in the area takes my insurance (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '15

My niece graduated with honors from college and also got masters degree in teaching art and language. She applied for a teaching position at a few elementary/middle schools. She has very distinct Goth style - make-up, clothing, you got idea. She went to interviews in her "fancy" attire, make-up and hair-style, and no school called her back. She was very surprised. Really?! Yes, she is well educate, great artist, has excellent personality and good with kids, but - common - what principal or parent can see her as a grade school teacher?

what if the physician in question was a proctologist Ian?

skippy skippy
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.