Unemployment extension ending

If your unemployment extension has ended--as New Jersey is no longer eligible-- did you receive a notice in the mail? Just curious.

I got an email and a letter in the mail.

jaemae jaemae
Jun '12

I have never received a notice. I had to call to find out on my own after several weeks of waiting. Make sure you take good notes of your correspondence with them. Just as an extra precaution...I know people who have kept on top of their benefits only to be told they were overpaid. Had they not kept records they would have been slapped with penalties and fines.

Mother Atabey Mother Atabey
Jun '12

The last claim you can make (bi-weekly) is on July 1,2012. Nothing will be paid out after the 7th of July.

jaemae jaemae
Jun '12

Are you referring to the NJ Extended Benefits (EB) plan ONLY? I am receiving EUC (Emergency Unemployment Compensation). Am I correct that EUC is not ending until December 2012?

Jackie Jackie
Jun '12

only NJ extended benefits is ending. It's a federal decision.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jun '12

I was just granted an extension last week. Does this mean I will keep receiving Unemployment until that extension has run out or will my benefits stop on July 7th?

Your benefits will stop on July 7th.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jun '12

Does this mean that all Tiers of unemployment benefits will end on July 7th? From what website are you obtaining information regarding benefits Jaemae? Thanks!

stilllookingforwork stilllookingforwork
Jun '12

I have been unemployed since Jan 2010 and receiving unemployment benfits, I went to every class, and received all emails of job offers, Back in May after my second extension and having a balance of $7,000. I went to apply for my unemployment and was told I was no longer eliebile to recieved benifits . There was no there was no anwser so sofaffffff

My EUC benefits ended this past November and they sent letters to me and info was online when I logged in to claim my benefits. Never had to chase anyone down, or call anyone or go to the Unemploy. office. Never had a problem. Once my regular benefits ran out, they gave me extended, then EUC and all info. came in mail and online. If I were you guys, I would double check ALL info. given here. Check for yourself. Good luck!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jun '12

ONLY the EB program is to end.
From the letter:
You are receiving this letter because your are collecting federal extended unemployment insurance benefits, also known as EB, and because the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) issued an official notice ending the EB program for New JErsey recipients. New Jersey no longer qualifies.

That really sucks and is so unfair.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jun '12

When does/did EB kick in? I can't seem to find a straight answer online. What I've read says that EB is ending for "long-term" unemployed. What does that mean? People who've been collecting for 99 weeks? Or anyone beyond the initial 26 weeks? It seems pretty unfair that people out of work for less than 6 months will lose benefits when people have previously been collecting pretty much indefinitely.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '12

The extention is for people who have exhausted their unemployment benefits from their last job. The extention is federal not state.

jaemae jaemae
Jun '12

I just called the unemployment office in P'burg and spoke to a lady that told me that ONLY the state EB is ending and not the federal EB. She asked for my ss# and told me that I am receiving the federal EB so my benefits will not end on July 7th. I went on unemployment in Dec 2011 and exhausted my benefits 2 weeks ago then they gave me EB. So as per the person in the office in P'burg only the state EB is ending not the federal. I don't know I think I'm still really confused! lol

Tracy, you hit the nail on the head. I cannot even count the amount of people I have spoken to since back before I was laid of from Roxbury Township that said, "why should I go back to work or even begin to look, when I'm making the same on Unemployment that I was working. And they keep extending it, so I'm good". And they have been out of work for years, getting extension after extension, bleeding the pot dry. I was so bored in the six months I was laid off that I was so ready to go flip burgers just to have a job and get off UI. Maybe with the extensions ended, it will force the people who showed no initiative to find a job and/or were enabled by the countless extensions to actually swallow their pride and go get a job doing anything. Flipping burgers, a cashier, anything is better than nothing, at least to some people it is. while others are too proud to do something like that to make money and bleed the system dry. As I heard one person say, $10/hr?? Are you kidding me?? I'm worth more than that.... really?? Seems to me you're worth about whatever the UI deduction out of everyone elses paychecks allow you to be worth. Just saying.

To the people who have been looking tirelessly for a job that this will hit, I feel for you. And it is by no means fair. And if you know someone like the people I was describing, grab them by the shirt, slap them across the face, and say thank you for lazily using up all the UI extension funding. Good luck to you all.

SeeintheReality SeeintheReality
Jun '12

I've spoke to MANY people and it appears that everyone has a different experience with unemployment these days. I got laid off in December 2008 and received 99 weeks plus one NJ EB and that was it...I've talked to others who were laid off the same time as me and they STILL receive it. For some people this is because they have been at their companies for longer periods, but what about others who are just milking it?

Like I said earlier, I know quite few people who were supposedly "overpaid" and would have never know it had they not contacted UE--what about them? How are they expected to pay back this debt (that the court ruled in THEIR favor --now remember no matter who is at fault -- it is YOUR responsibility to pay it back!!). At one time, I had to convince a UE worker that I ran out of tiers, luckily I went into the office and had it corrected before it went into default. I'd rather be broke and owe UE!

I agree that many people take advantage of unemployment. But the reality is that after unemployment runs out, 401k's are exhausted, savings are gone, the quality of life decreases drastically for the simple fact that in order to keep your head above ground you will need at least 3 jobs to make it all work out--that's if they are even paying $10 and hour! Now even the simplest of jobs want you to have a degree-experience means nothing without the paper. I pray we all can get out of this jam.

Mother Atabey Mother Atabey
Jun '12

@cc...I have the paper right in front of me It says You are recieving this letter because you are collecting Federal Extended Unemployment Insurance Benefits,also known as EB, and because the U.S. Dept of Labor issuied and official notice ending the Extended Benefits program for nj recipients. NJ no longer qualifies for the federal EB program that provides and additional 20 weeks of jobless benefits to the long term unemployed in High-unemployment states. The USDOL announced that effevtive jUNE 16 2012 the EB program will close in NJ. There is a three week EB phase out period from that date. A a result, an EB claim can be filed up to the Sunday befor the established fianal payment date. This means the last date the EB payments may be made is the week ending July 7 2012.Howeverunder federal law NJ cannot pay any EB after the week ending July 7 2012. No additional federal or state UEI assisntance is available at this time through the NJ Division of Unemployment.
You have to be careful of what they say at the pburg office, I've been in there many times and not everyone is running on a full tank if you know what I meant. I spoke with my counselor yesterday and she wasn't sure if I was going to still be eligable for the grant for school. I have to call back on Monday. Hope that clears somethings up for you, it came directly from the letter I got in the mail.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jun '12

Sorry for all the typos, But I have rhuematoid arthritis and typing is not as easy for me as it use to be. Sorry!

Jaemae Jaemae
Jun '12

So in a nutshell the state gets it's extended benefits from the feds. So when the Feds say Nj no longer qualifies for it the state doesn't have the extended benefits to give because it came from the feds in the first place.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jun '12

Just to be clear, what is ending in NJ is the last 20 weeks of what used to be the 99 week max. Now the max in NJ will be 79 weeks.

That last 20 weeks was paid jointly by the Feds and the State. The state pays the first 26 weeks, the Feds the next 53 weeks. All subject to eligibility, of course.

jerseydutchman2 jerseydutchman2
Jun '12

@ Jaemae....as of yet I have not received a letter of any type. The only thing that I have received was the notice saying that my benefits have been extended and that was last week. I hope that the lady that I spoke to was right! What sucks is that I have been working for over 30 years and have never collected unemployment but have paid into it all these years, as with many others out there!

I hear ya cc. I paid into it too and this is the first time I've ever been on it. It's not easy to navigate either. I hope you still get yours! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Jaemae Jaemae
Jun '12

I'm still confused.

I DIDN'T receive a letter saying my extended benefits are ending.
Am I still qualified to collect? How do I know?
Ive been unemployed since 11/2010.

Thankfully I got a job, but I don't start till August. Are my benefits over effective immediately?

Anyone have the link to the website to apply for the extension, please?

not4nuttin' not4nuttin'
Jul '12

Re: Unemployment extension ending

Jaemae - you have to keep on top of them about the school grant. I almost did not get mine either. gthe first time I did not...this time I did.

I agree most of them are idiots at that office and to think they have the jobs! Several times the woman sitting at the front desk was sleeping...Here's the pic.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '12

So when I call and they tell me the phone lines are so tied up that I should call back on another day, it is bc people are in the office sleeping? Nice. I guess if you are used to having a secure job with the govt where you can get paid for sleeping, you are going to have a hard time accepting a job where you may have to break a sweat or stay after hours unpaid. That burns me up. I just started on unemployment, and am working just as many hours (if not more than I used to) on my job hunt while caring for a small child and a disabled husband who tried to get benefits for three years now and keeps getting the run around, even with a lawyer. I'd fix myself a cold one and go sit in the sun and try to chill out, but would feel too guilty about not looking and applying for new job postings, especially since my old clunker car just broke down and I doubt two weeks of UI will pay for the repair, let alone food and all those other things we need.

cbird cbird
Jul '12

my unemployment benefits ran out June 30th but I was granted school training thru the state of NJ in September does that mean that I will still be able to collect unemployment benefits

Diane
Jul '12

You are not entitled to unemployment benefits soley because you are attending school.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '12

OMG Firefly that's not funny but at the same time I want to laugh! Everytime I'm in there I ask how do I get a job in here? No one responds. I'm not giving up on my grant. It'll be rought without the uei payments, with gas and all. But I've gotta try. That picture is priceless.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jul '12

Not4nuttin, If you were on UEI and exhausted them UEI will let you know if you qualify for the EB and do all the work for you, send you a letter stating so and the money will be available to you. BUt since NJ isn't giving out EB anymore it's pointless. But if you still want the site, I just put in bing. Nj unemployment and the site pops up or you could look up NJLWD.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jul '12

cbird I feel your pain. If you do your claims on line it's quick and easy. Nj has alot of programs to help fill in some of the gaps till you get back to work. I think when my mother was struggling she called First Call for Help #1-877-661-4357. They have all the resources that they could help you find out about. My husband works and we have 4 children but we always make "Too much money" to qualify. Like by a hair.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jul '12

Hi,

I'm also so confused as what is goin on with Unemployment benefits. I found some outdated info on the NJ website and of course can never get through to anyone on the phone.

My question is: I have been working for many years and my regular unemployment ends like July 17th 2012 - which is one more check. I've 'only' been out of work since January 2012. Will I get any Extended benefits at all or is that it. I read somewhere that now I cannot get NJ state extended benefits but in theory I'd get some kind of extention through the federal government.

Anyone know what's up or in a similar position? Thanks and good luck to everybody out there!

Jason Jason
Jul '12

I'm glad for those of you who received a letter explaining about benefits ending on July 7th. I would never have known if it weren't for Hackettstown Life, so thank you all. I would have just waited until my regular day to go on line to claim my continued benefits, which is July 8th, and I'm sure that I would have been denied the money that I had left. It's amazing how the system operates and how people are so often kept in the dark!

Joyce Polack Joyce Polack
Jul '12

hey guys, from my understanding and what I am reading about the eb ending on july 7th, doesn't it mean that the week of july 1st-7th is the last payable week, so that means we can claim in on the sunday the 8th???? I'm freaking out because I don't know what I'm gonna do, it seems that after this week, no other week will be payable. Please someone clarify if I'm wrong and someone knows different, but I understand it as that we can claim this final week. and also does anyone know since eb is ending, can we go apply for a new claim and start all over again?? I'm so confused and don't know what to do, I don't know how I'm gonna survive...

bunchofmarkerz bunchofmarkerz
Jul '12

bunchofmarkerz...in my letter it says no money will be given after the 7th period. So I don't think you'll get any money after that date. If you try it and you get it, watch out they may come looking for that money. The claims are bi-weekly, but I would claim every week and they allowed it on the computer. Of course I would only get one weeks worth but I couldn't make the bi-weekly payments. I needed that money for food shopping and gas. The never gave me a hard time about it.

Jaemae Jaemae
Jul '12

I too am in the same boat as a lot of you are. I am on extended benefits and am hoping that I get this last check. I didn't think you could claim for another check if you just did it as in my case on 6/25. If the extended benefits were still going on, the next time I would be able to claim wouldve been 7/8. However, after rereading the letter about the discontinuation of EB, I realize it said anyone on EB can claim through 7/1 but I didnt put my claim in until 7/2. I HOPE and PRAY I get the check. Every last penny counts as after this last check, I will be depending on savings. This is such BAD news for many of us. I have tried so hard to look for work but have had no luck thus far. It's completely frustrating and stressful.

Kelly C
Jul '12

I have never received a letter stating that my EB was ending. If mine was going to end wonder why I didn't get the letter everyone is talking about?

Just to clear up something-- there are 4 tiers of EUC and 1 EB. Once you are on EB, you will get a yellow form to fill out and send in your job searches, 3 for each week you are claiming. I was on EB when it ended and I filed this past Sunday (7/1) and received the final payment today.
The funny part is that today I get the worksearch form in the mail from unemployment telling me to file again on 7/18. Not real swift at NJUI!

I don't think I'm even going to try. I know the government would LOVE to make you pay back money that isn't yours, with interest and penalties, even though it's their error you received it in the first place.

As far as abusing the system, I have been laid off for going on 23 months from a job I held for over 30 years, and have applied to countless employers. Most will not even call me back, which I know is because of my age, this includes those "$10/hr jobs". They're the worst because they tell you you're overqualified. I didn't ask to be laid off, the economy is what happened. I keep looking......
Good luck to all of you!

Good luck to you emme, you are not abusing the system.. the abusers are the overpaid losers that are still at your old company sucking up the profits they make by laying off middle classers and keep the rats to do twice the work.....they will pay if not now but in the END....

fitter
Jul '12

The only thing ending is the last 20 weeks, which says EB. If you go to the New Jersey website, it explains the different tiers and how many weeks each one is. So unless you are on the last tier which says EB (20 weeks) you are OK for now. Read what jerseydutchman2 wrote.

Mariann Mariann
Jul '12

Emme, you have every right to and should claim On 7/18. The LAST PAYABLE WEEK Is 7/7. Being u claim Every 2 Weeks, Probably Around WEDNESDAYS, 7/18 Will Be TheLast Claim you can make.

Here is the letter I received:

Dear Customer,

You are receiving this letter because you are collecting federal Extended Unemployment Insurance Benefits, also known as EB, and because the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) issued an official notice ending the Extended Benefits (EB) program for New Jersey recipients.

New Jersey no longer qualifies for the federal EB program that provides up to 20 additional weeks of jobless benefits to the long-term unemployed in high-unemployment states. The USDOL announced that effective June 16, 2012 the EB program will close in New Jersey.

There is a three week EB "phase-out" period from that date. As a result, an EB claim can be filed up to the Sunday before the established final payment date.

This means the last date that EB payments may be made is the week ending on July 7, 2012. Claimants filing for EB may file their claims through July 1, 2012 if they remain unemployed. However, under federal law, New Jersey cannot pay any EB after the week ending on July 7, 2012.

Unfortunately, no additional Federal or State Unemployment Insurance assistance is available to you at this time through the New Jersey Division of Unemployment Insurance.

Article explaining the ending of EB - http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/thousands_of_nj_residents_will.html

BLD2
Jul '12

i was laid off in nj in april of 2010 then i applied for benefits not until june because i started a seasonal job, then the company i worked for filed an appeal, then i got a job right away because appeals take too long. so here i am looking for a job i actually stopped collecting because got a job and then they laid me off, i try everyday apply to more than 100 jobs, unemployment benefits is not better than working, i agree. but also the country has to understand that the unemployment rate is never what they say it is. because of the hundreds of thousands who are not collecting. i have a masters degree, the longer you are out of work the worse it takes. jobs are not the same i went to college i have student loans about 10000.00 nothing compared to others, especially since i have masters, but i am behind, they call and they can forget about it. i have seizures so i have to pay my medical, this country needs a change, and republicans quickly change to democrats when there savings and 401 k is gone and they are now using food stamps.

I had no idea this was happening and now i don;t know what to do! I was laid off last year due to my position at a mortgage company being "eliminated". I have been out of work & receiving NJ unemployment for 52 weeks and apparently i am cut off as well. No letter arrived to warn me of this. In fact, they sent me a letter this past thursday stating i have to attend a mandatory re-employment seminar or my benefits might be be cut off. Then when i attempted to file online today it says i a have exhausted all my benefits & i have already been cut off. I am frustrated, why would they send me a letter to attend a mandatory workshop but not give me a heads up that they are cutting me off completely???

So all the info i see online about NJ unemployment ending only for people already into 70-90 weeks is not true

Lyn, call unemployment. I have been out of work for a year also(June). I went to the re-employment seminar and when I went to claim my benefits I got the same message about exhausting all my benefits. I called on Monday and they explained that the feds lock your claim after 1 year. All they had to do was release it and I was fine.

Mariann Mariann
Jul '12

Lyn,

They automatially stop your benefit after 52 weeks. All you got to do is to call them up and they will resume your benefit again. Good luck!

Smurf
Jul '12

what pisses me off is I'm goin back to work in sept2012 and they gave benefits till then and now I got to claim this morning and they said my benifits have bin suspended without no letters to inform me or anything and ofcoarse it's the week my phone about to get shut off and my rents due GREATTT..

nickjr27 nickjr27
Jul '12

I was layed off in Jan 2012. After 26 weeks my benefits ended a few weeks ago and was told I was not eligible for anymore. If I go to the NJ state website it seems to say that if you exhausted all of your umemployments benefits in March of 2012 there is still some eligiblity for extenstion. This makes no sense. It seems like some people are still collecting extended benefits any advice?

Gretel Gretel
Jul '12

There is no reason or answer as to why some and NOT others.
It all lies in the connection or person you contact.

Lucky..is if you contact or are able to get a NJUI worker that is not overwhelmed for the days work. That means.... that person had only 2 calls in the morning to direct and straighten out issues...so that one more; before the lunch hour may be a ticket to your problem being solved and a proper key press on their work station computer re aligning you to continue to collect more weeks.

Unlucky.. is calling and getting the NJUI worker that just got off the phone with a p'd off poor soul, that created a menagerie of complex unanswerable questions, and the worker is in a fired up mood. You will get pushed aside, and no matter which way the coin is flipped...you lose!

Then there is the worker that was hired, and passed the reqirement test, but really has no clue to proceedures when it comes time to articulate thinking and common sense together to come to a right conclusion for your claim, but doesn't want to go that one more step because he / she / it ,is not sure, and so they go into the abyss tactic and thwart you out of the equation of the claim issue, and will give you the answer in a round about way, and blame the situation on rules.
All they want to do is get the monkey off their back! ( You, in their thinking)

The best way...is to make an appointment to face the person while trying to reconstruct your payment status.
Over the phone...they can roll back the eye's, and even flip you the bird, and you can't see it. You become the Jerk that is bothering them just because Joe Blow gets 90 weeks, and you want another 26 more on top of your 26 you just got!!
They don't G*. A'*. S*. .... They still have their job! Why should they care about your lousey unemployment extension!!
Especially now with the better economy, and the thousands of new job offers out there! Heck, before we know it, they will be looking for workers to fill jobs, and there won't be enough people to fill all the available jobs.
SOOoooo! Shine up your shovels, cause we'll all be a working soon!
Annnnnyyyyyyy Daaaaayyyyyyyyyy Noooooooowwwwwwwww!!

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '12

Keep this in mind as an fyi...

If your unemployed & sitting on a job opportunity that your thinking im making more on unemployment why should i take that job.

Your Social Security Retirement is suspended while your unemployed or on SS Disability - so you will get less in your retirement benefits since your aren't paying payroll taxes. Of course that implies SS will even be a solvent venture when you get there. But something to keep in mind as you go along.

Peace

I'm going to disagree with Embryodad. Every time I've spoken with someone there, they've been courteous and helpful. It helps if you act as a professional, as opposed to a money-hungry bottom feeder. Any time I had to call, I thanked them profusely for their help and said "I know you've probably had people screaming at you all morning, so I appreciate your help."

Never had an issue when I was on UI.

btownguy btownguy
Jul '12

Hi everyone, I know I'm late, but I still really don't understand what's going on; Would someone please help me? I have been on unemployment since Feb. of this year, I will have been on for my 6 months in about 2 or 3 weeks... am I able to get an extension? I'm not sure if it's for people who have been on longer than me, or everyone...

I've been desperately looking for a job, but I haven't had any offers yet & I'm getting very nervous. :/ Thank you!

Emily L. Emily L.
Jul '12

It's for everyone in NJ who was on extended benefits. I don't think you've been on long enough to be on extended benifts. Unless things change in NJ by the time you are eligable for them , you won't be getting extended benifits once you UEI runs out. It really has made things difficult. I used that money to feed my family and get my meds. I'm also waiting to hear if I'm still going to be eligable to go to school on a grant from UI. Keep your fingers crossed. At 46 and not too many job skills that I am physically or licsensed to do, I'm not exactly a hot comodity. If your benefits are running out soon think about going back to school. You will get a grant, books and all and they will still give you your benefits too so you can get back and forth to school. I was hesitant but it was the only choice. I couldn't find work for 2 years. SO on to a new career!
Wish me luck!

Jaemae Jaemae
Jul '12

Luckily, I can read and write English and have tried to keep up with the pending change since February but I was waiting for a notice that would explain the EB situation in NJ. I can attest to the fact that the letter those are referring to throughout the posting only came to me in the mail when I had 2 weeks left to complete exhaustion of benefits. Mentally, I was prepared that the 6 months of EB was not coming my way but not financially. If I had been clueless and did not search or read up on Unemployment benefits, I would have, literally, had a heart attach. This is something we should have all been contacted about 6 months ago and advised by the "counselors" at the one stop centers. You cannot get anyone on the phone ever, if you go in person you are either lied to just to get out of the way, or you are told the wrong information and have to call back several time to recheck if you get a new version of the story. I want to complain to the USDOL and Obama and forget about Christie, he may come to my home and tell me off , lol . This is a disgrace. NJ is one of the top state in the USA for cost of living and the news has been all about the 8.5 federal Unemployment rate so how does it make sense that NJ gets cut off???????? They need to take the cost of living into account. I cannot even afford to move to get out of NJ! I still have hope , do you?

For those who were laid off in the beginning of the year (like I was) : After your regular benefits were exausted at 26 weeks, did you then qualify for EUC Tier I-IV benefits? And if so, what did you have to do, or were you automatically enrolled?

From the NJ-DOL website:

"A regular unemployment insurance claim provides up to 26 weeks of benefits. The federal extension provides up to another 53 weeks of benefits if filed before September 1, 2012 and 47 weeks of benefits if filed after September 1, 2012."

I was laid off in Feb 2012, my 26 weeks ended this last weekend. It now says I'm not eligible for additional benefits, but I know for a fact that I am. I worked 50+ hours a week from 2010 up until I got laid off in Feb 2012. Cannot find a job, even the ones "Americans won't do", and this situation is so confusing, especially since there seems to be out of date info on the NJUI website.

If anyone can help me, any info at all would be helpful!

Worried in Pburg Worried in Pburg
Aug '12

You should get something in the mail, telling you about a 20 week extension. If you don't get anything. call the Phillipsburg office. The person who answers the phone at 908-859-3321 has always been very helpful and is very nice. She has helped me out a couple of times. Good Luck !

Mariann Mariann
Aug '12

Mine ran out back in July. when I claimed my last 2 weeks left it automatically renewed itself. I received a letter a few days later telling me that it was extended for 20 weeks. It also came with a letter telling me that I had to go to a mandatory "learn how to get a job" class in P'burg. If I didn't go the letter said that it may compromise my benefits. We all know what that meant! lol

hmmm, when I went on line last month the message said I had used my extension. I was working part time during my benefit time and was told my benefits would last longer and it said on my last statement I had over $8,000 left, but I haven't received one dime since July 2012. Guess I'll just work any hours I'm given. Need to put oil in the tank for winter.

another caring mom another caring mom
Aug '12

I find out ironic that NJ got cut off for extended benefits but yet recently was named as one of many states w/high unemp rates?? lol Go figure.

Keely Keely
Aug '12

BE HONEST!
Have you really been actively looking for work for the past 2 years?
If so - have you been offered work but thought to yourself "why would I work when I can get income and not work and stay of benefits?"
I'm sure many are over qualified for jobs that are available - but doesn't it seem like the right thing to do sometimes to take the lessor paying job if it offers benefits?

I will honestly say - that if I was collecting benefits - I wouldn't lie and say I was actively looking for a job when I wasn't for 2 years - admit it - you are taking the money and enjoying it!!

mommyofjack mommyofjack
Aug '12

Re: Unemployment extension ending

This is all very confusing to me. I started receiving EB in June after my regular benefits ran out and now (Aug 31) I am waiting to get paid for my last claim this past Monday - but nothing. Yet I was paid for my previous claim (Aug 13). So apparently I started to receive EB and then they decided to stop without any notification at all. Last claim I put in online it came back and said:

" Your claim for unemployment benefits has been received. The information you have provided will need to be reviewed before benefit payment can be processed. Upon review we may contact you for additional information. This may take several days."

That was Monday - today is Friday and still no word and no payment. This is frustrating to say the least and couldn't come at a worse time. I have been sending out resume's but so far no luck.

leezer leezer
Aug '12

Can you receive at least 1 extended benefit period? I'm almost done completing my first 6 months.

You should qualify for some type of extension beyond the initial six months. It's sad they are cutting back so much on extensions when the unemployment rate in NJ is still so high!!

stilllookingforwork stilllookingforwork
Sep '12

It would seem things are not as clear to the unemployed as the state would have it. I was laid off last March. I have been collecting regular UI since then and my benefits run out in October. I understand that what's called Extended Benefits has ended. The website says Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits will continue. What is the difference and what does that mean to me at this point? Do I have to do anything to apply for those EUC benefits and how long does it last?

jayarby jayarby
Sep '12

jayarby, this link might help clear things up. It's still super confusing especially since the state has incompetents working behind the "buttons" that need to get pushed to continue your benefits.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/ui_extensions.html

Tracy Tracy
Sep '12

For the people that have been out of work for so long, what types of jobs are you applying to? Maybe HL can help if we see an opening in the field/postion you are looking.

darwin darwin
Sep '12

Good idea darwin. I am looking for an administrative assistant or accounts receivable position in the surrounding area. I don't want to have to drive to Parsippany or Bridgewater. Do you or any other HL'S know of anything ? Thanks

Mariann Mariann
Sep '12

Mariann,

You might need to expand your location a bit, I work in Bridgewater and the commute is really not bad. Parisppany is tough with Rte 80 but 206 is not bad going to Bridgewater.
I have a few contacts that work for Verizon Wireless and one sent me this job posting in Basking Ridge.. if you are willing to make the commute it might be good

https://careers.verizonwireless.com/psc/erphrprd/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/B_VZW_RS_MENU.B_RS_JL.GBL?Page=B_RS_JL_HOME&Action=A&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=299107

darwin darwin
Sep '12

Thanks Darwin

Mariann Mariann
Sep '12

I never wouldve thought that almost 2 yrs later (in Oct) that I'd still be out of work. No more extended benefits to help out w/the bills. Now Im relying on savings and thats dwindling quickly! I am stressed and frustrated that I cant find anything! As Im sure alot of you on here are too. Dont understand why EB was cut off considering NJ still has a high unemp rate. Makes no sense to me than again its the govt...theyre all clueless!

Keely Keely
Sep '12

what line of work are you looking for Keely?

I am determined to find someone on this thread a job!!

darwin darwin
Sep '12

"They" always say they cutting benefits off..then Congress passes a law to keep extension....they do it every year......cross yaw fingers! NJ has the highest unemployment rate.....!!! I dont see why they would cut it off so drastically.

keef44 keef44
Sep '12

Hi Darwin,

Im in pharmaceuticals

Keely Keely
Sep '12

Darwin,

I've applied everywhere thats hiring and have heard only from 1 and that was a no. I work mornings, but I want another job for afternoon and evening and weekends. I'll do just about anything. My benefits ran out last November.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Sep '12

Keely,

Are you in pharmaceutical sales??? If so look at Warner Chilcott, it's a nice company and everyone that i have dealt with over the years that works there have been great.

http://www.careersinpharmaceutical.com//index.cfm/fuseaction/jobsearchdetails/jobid/39648/gastroenterologypharmaceuticalsalesrep_job.htm?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

I know i'm linkin contacts witht he slaes recruiter for this area, let me see if i can find her contact info

darwin darwin
Sep '12

I still can't find a job, when does the Eb benifits kick in now that new Jersey
has had 3 months of high unemployment? They took them away 3 months ago,
now when do they start them again?

Earl Booth Earl Booth
Sep '12

Copy and paste this into your browser and sign and forward petition. They are ending all federral emergency benefits on 1-2-2013. Period.

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-president-of-the-united-states-re-implement-federal-emergency-unemployment-benefits-through-2013?share_id=WLmPdPtjoh&utm_campaign=mailto_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

L. Marks L. Marks
Sep '12

Marks,

Is this petition legit? Why aren't people signing up as much considering the amount of people who can't find work and are depending on unemployment insurance?

1-2-2013, that's coming up very soon. Scary, how many people will go into deep depression after the cut off date. I'm panicking since I've been out of work for 14 months!

David2 David2
Sep '12

How have all of you gotten 2 years of UI? I have never applied before and worked during the past year part time, and I rec'd only one year of benefits. Guess b/c I'm old I don't count. I'm in the health profession.

Miss Fishy Miss Fishy
Sep '12

I am so glad I found this forum. Glad to see Im not the only one struggling w/not finding work for a long period of time.

Keely Keely
Oct '12

For people who are facing an announced layoff but not there yet. Never Never Never stay till the end to get the severance pay. Find a job asap and take it. (unless you are retiring anyway)

What do you write in an appeals letter to have your unemployment extension?
Any good pointers?

Why maja? Everyone's situation is different. I waited till the end to get a severance package a few years ago. It included a year of benefits and pay. Worked out great. It would have been foolish not to wait for it. Never say never.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '12

Does anyone know if Federal Extended Benefits has been approved for NJ with the passing of the new bill for 2013. I thought that I would be getting an extension since I received a letter letting me know that the benefits were extended to 12/2013. So far I have been trying to get benefits online and keep being told that my benefits are 00. I collected for 26 weeks and than it ended. Is NJ still one of the 3 states that the government has not approved benefits for. Is NJ unemployment rate lower than all the other states? I've been to the unemployment office in Hackensack and was told they have no idea if Federal benefits are being extended. Told me to come back in 3 weeks if I am unable to access benefits on the internet.

diane c diane c
Jan '13

You should get a couple of more extensions. I think it is a total of 73 weeks including the first 26 weeks. It was extended until the end of 2013. Call the Phillipsburg office and talk to someone there. The number I call is 908-859-3321 and she has been very helpful the few times I called. Good Luck !

Mariann Mariann
Jan '13

diane c, if I remember correctly, your claim is locked after the 26 weeks.And all someone needs to do is go in and unlock it for you. That was one of the times I called. It took her a minute and then I was fine. The number I gave you doesn't usually get you put on hold. I get right through and she is great. Try calling tomorrow after 9:00.

Mariann Mariann
Jan '13

Thanks Mariann I will try the Philipsberg office tomorrow. I live in Bergen County and it's impossible to get thru to that office by phone.

diane c diane c
Jan '13

I just called, took 2 attempts to get thru. I was down to 1 week, they will ask for your ssn and in my case I was given 14 additional weeks. She said once your balance reaches 0 it will then reset.
Thanks for the info.

Alan K.
Jan '13

Mariann you are a life saver. I called the number you gave me and the women answered on the second ring. She was very helpful and is also giving me 14 weeks and than will access again for a future extension. Thanks so much. I can't tell you how frustrated I was and how easy it was to deal with the office in your county.

diane c diane c
Jan '13

Alan K. and diane c, glad I could be of some help with this. Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be.

Mariann Mariann
Jan '13

Does anyone have info on how to claim EUC? I received a letter notifying me that I am eligible for Tier 1 and it gave me a little amount that I'm allowed and a reminder to log my job applications, but no instructions. When I go to the usual link on njuifile to claim bi-weekly benefits it either says "You have exhausted your balance" or it says "Your certification cannot be processed. Please refer to 'Telephone Number to Claim Weekly Benefits', provided at: http://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/ui/claim/clmwktele.html.\" I've tried several times a day for the last week to get through on the phone but any option I choose basically says "call volume too high, call later" and it disconnects me. If I try to go through the phone prompts to file bi-weekly claims it says firmly at the end "Do not hang up until a representative comes on the line with confirmation," and I get a fast-busy signal, then it disconnects me. I have found tons of information on eligibility for EUC and the extension through 12/31/13, but not one word on how to actually claim it. This is like a part-time job just trying to find an answer! Anyone know what I'm supposed to be doing?

Stef, see my comments above and call the number that I have in there.

Mariann Mariann
Jan '13

Just a bump as I was unable to get through myself and saw Mariann's post and recommendation to call Phillipsburg (908-859-3321). A lady answered the phone immediately, was able to help me, and I was off the phone in 5 minutes.

pv res
Jan '13

I'm wondering if anyone knows what may be going on. I've been filing weekly and they switched it to bi-weekly. It's been 4 weeks and no money in my account. I called during the initial week of the switch they said I just have to wait out the cross over. I tried filing for this week and the online system said to cal. I called and the machine operator said I can't call till weds. A huge run around. Does anyone have any idea of what may be going on or what I can do?? Thanks!!!

Vinny Vinny
Jan '13

So with unemployment being extended, people that were on "extended benefits" are not eligible still b/c NJ has a low unemployment rate? This really sux, I havent been able to find a job for quite some time and was on extended benefits until they cut it off in July. I have been living off my savings and its running dry. I am completely stressed out and not sure what to do.I continue to look everyday for work and nothing :( I could really use the help if this recent passing of UE included people that were on extended benefits too.

Thank you so much for that number! My mom's been cut off for 4 weeks, this really saved us!

Tasha Tasha
Jan '13

(Rant On)

I've never encountered ruder employees than those answering the phones for NJ Unemployment. The people I have dealt with over the past few days talked over me when asking questions or making a point, expected me to know how the process is supposed to work, and generally don't seem to care.

I understand that this may be a pretty tough/stressful job (especially these days), but having experience working in customer support, people acting like I mentioned above would not have jobs very long.

(Rant Over)

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jan '13

I have just exhausted my initial 26 weeks of unemployment benefits. When I was claiming my last weeks it said at the bottom saying "you may be eligible for an extension and we will file for you, if you are eligible you will receive notification of how and when to collect benefits". I don't understand this because my son (whom was laid off with me as well) unemployment extension went through instantly. When he was claiming his last week it said at the bottom "extend this benefit". Why is it that his is running straight through and I'm waiting to be approved. I'm scared because I may not receive an extension and I don't understand how he is but not me. I have never filed an extension this is my first time filing for unemployment in my life. Can someone help me?

Claudette Claudette
Jan '13

is there currently available an extension of nj unemployment benefits?

a good day
Jun '13

Had a problem with my claim and called unemployment for 3 days now. Each time the message said it would be a 3+ hour wait. I remembered this thread and called the Phillipsburg # above. Got right through and she unlocked my claim. I only have 2 weeks left. Any idea if Obama will approve it for 2014?

Lilly Lilly
Dec '13

Lilly, I am so glad that you posted on this thread because I thought my benefits ran out at the beginning of last month. I tried dozens of times to call unemployment and gave up when I could not get through. I just called the P-burg number and will be getting benefits for November and December! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Despite an official unemployment rate still lingering around 7 percent, House Republicans have indicated that they will not support an extension of unemployment benefits, which are scheduled to expire on December 31 of this year.

“I don’t see much appetite from our side for an extension of benefits. I just don’t,” said Rep. Tom Cole, a high-ranking GOP House member and close confidante of Speaker John Boehner.

“These have been extraordinary extensions, and the Republican position all along has been ‘we need to go back to normal here at some point,’” Cole continued.

House Democrats are pushing for federal unemployment benefits — which since 2008 have been picking up the slack where state-level insurance drops off — to be extended as part of the ongoing budget negotiations. But with talks focusing on relieving the pain of the sequester, there’s doubt as to whether these benefits will survive past the end of the year.

yankeefan yankeefan
Dec '13

Thanks yankeefan. And your welcome Babs. 3 hour wait time was just nuts and I couldn't believe that the Phillipsburg office picked up after a few rings. No voice prompts. A live person.

Lilly Lilly
Dec '13

Omg. I just received an email from unemployment. My EUC benefits will run out on Dec. 28. I will have received 26 weeks of benefits. Period. How will bills get paid? How will food get on the table? What is the next step? The past 6 months have been hard enough. I am shaking here...

ms_warren_county ms_warren_county
Dec '13

I would suggest getting a job asap. In the meantime do you have anything you can sell on craigslist etc ? Gold or silver jewelry you can sell for scrap ?

jerseycash5
Dec '13

ms warren cty- I sent you a PM

positive positive
Dec '13

Any insight on whether or not EUC will be approved? Is there a deadline for congress to make a decision?

Lilly Lilly
Jan '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.