Poison Ivy

What is the best thing to use for poison ivy.

Birdy
Jun '12

To get rid of poison ivy in your yard, or to alleviate the issues when you get the rash?

Getting rid of the rash, but also maybe getting rid of the plant - I tried clipping it down, but obviously it will re-grow and somehow got on me.

Birdy
Jun '12

For the plant, you have to kill the root. Don't bother trying to cut it down to pulling it out. Ortho makes a liquid designed to kill poison ivy/oak, etc. Put it in their sprayer, hook to a hose, and spray away.

I had ivy by my neighbors bushes. Sprayed the stuff all over and it killed it. It did come back years later so repeated applications may be required.

Now, if it's in an area where you don't care if you kill EVERYTHING including the ivy, get the Roundup that hooks up to a hose and spray away. Probably cheaper but it will kill everything.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '12

I am with emaxxman on getting rid of the plant itself. As for the rash. I use Right Guard Deodorant. Don't laugh, I was told this years ago and it does work. A lot of the creams on the market keep the rash moist so it takes longer to heal. The deodorant dries the rash up quicker.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
Jun '12

Brush-B-Gon is the best for removing poison ivy. The key ingredient to kill the entire plant is Triclopyr- that's the good stuff it will get to the root.
I have used it for years with fantastic results.
Tractor Supply is your best bet for selection and price.

Oh and for the rash Rhuli Gel really works great on the rash.

Also search this forum - I believe there was a long dedicated thread from last year?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '12

as someone who gets it really bad, hypdrocortizone cream does a lot for the rash. Also benedril.

Or if you want a more natural solution, find sycamore tree bark, put it in a big pot with some water and boil it. Let it cool, or throw it in the fridge for a bit, and then apply it with paper towels to the poison ivy. It dries it out really well, something about its acidity.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Jun '12

Hey birdy, the best thing to use for poison ivy rash is Ivy Dry. My doctor recomended it before their was a prescription for poison ivy rash medicine. I had it on my feet and creeping up my legs, from petting my dog with my feet of all things. I was ready to scream and rip my legs apart. I couldn't believe how fast and great it worked.

squeaker squeaker
Jun '12

For. The rash i use. Lime it dries it out and kills it. To kill the plant I use round up poison ivy killer which u can get at lowes. It works great.

Mr. Tbone Mr. Tbone
Jun '12

Dawn Dish soap for the oils so it doesn't spread

nosila nosila
Jun '12

Dom Boro powder ..make a paste for the rash.
It's not cheap.

For weeds and Ivy.. Clorox bleach in a spray bottle. Full Strength!

embryodad embryodad
Jun '12

Previous discussion of poison ivy:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/301234

Tecnu is a very good product. But Zanfel is absolutely the best above all others. Not entirely cheap, but really effective.

Couple of tips that I've used in the past and had good results. This may sound odd but if you are weeding on a dry day and touch poison ivy or know you have come in contact. Grab a handful of dry dirt and rub your hands in it or on the area touched. The dirt will absorb the oils. Otherwise stop right away and wash the affected area with dish detergent and cold water... only use cold water as the hot water opens the pores on the skin and absorbs it.

Garmin
Jun '12

Spray the crap out of it:) Just did a PI patrol this past week in spots we walk. Now to tackle the rest of the areas. I pull what I see if its a samll patch then soak the area with the Round Up PI stuff. I have a script from my dermatologist that cleears it up for me pretty quick. I am being very cautious of getting it again. don't need more issues this year.
I'm also careful where my dog wanders and clean my hands after the tick check. It may get on her hair and then of course on my hands....

blackcat blackcat
Jun '12

Please take car of this awful reaction. i am one who has to go to the ER and get cortisone shots. It closed up my eyes. My son gets it badly as well. So far, my husband and daughter do not react to it,but that can change, so all beware the three leaved beast. My husband was out in the back yard doing away with the culprit. I had a severe reaction from washing his clothes! My son got it in the winter with two feet of snow on the ground!! So, unfortunately, no pets, and no walks in the woods for me.

JudeKS JudeKS
Jun '12

take a allergy pill like benadril. your gonna fall asleep but stops the ich. I have always put bleach on it drys it rite up. Alot of people do that, but alot of people also act like your crazy when you tell them to do that. But not if its near your eyes. predazone works good if you go to doc.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.