So who has actually seen a ghost?

going to wait to see who replies before I tell my stories

But yes, I have experienced :)

Have seen and heard things that cannot be explained...

beach comber beach comber
Apr '12

I have seen and heard things that cannot be explained as well but have not actually seen what books describe as a "ghost" i.e, a figure of a person but I have felt the presence of loved ones who have passed on and feel they communicate with me daily in various ways.

Joyful Joyful
Apr '12

Never saw a ghost myself, but my daughter's first boyfriend "saw" my husband, who he never met, and described him to a "T". Went totally cold and had to lie down and calm down. Mind you, the person he saw was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans....which was what my husband was buried in.

Believe it or not...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My friend and I used to walk around the back of Panther Valley back in high school as the sun would go down. I suddenly screamed and ran behind her (I know, what a great friend. Lol). She looked at me and goes what are you screaming for. I swear to this day I saw a male figure all in white with a knife walking towards us. Yup!

NotCrazy NotCrazy
Apr '12

Seeing a ghost...that's a bit contradictory, no?
Everything has an explanation in this world, but we may not have discovered the reasoning yet.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '12

Stan: I heard one of your incredible stories. I know you're not a nut-case, so I believe you.

But....I have a feeling those of us who believe/know may get slammed. But that's OK; we can take it because we know what we know.

Yes, I have seen ghosts.

The first time I was a child and spending the night at my great-aunt's house. There was a lot of family present, most of whom I did not know. During the night an older lady with a thick braid came in to look in on my sister and me. She didn't say anything but I was awake and I saw her very distinctly. The following day was the wedding and I did not see her there. I didn't think too much of it because I was young and there were a lot of people coming and going.

A short while later my mother was talking about her great-grandmother and mentioned how she had always kept her hair up during the day but at night wore it in a thick long braid. I realized then who I had seen that night. Later I asked to see a picture and sure enough, that was the woman I had seen. She died in that house, I believe in the room my sister and I were staying in that night.

When I was first married, my husband and I had a ghost in our apartment. I had what I thought were dreams of a woman with dark hair wearing a white t-shirt standing next to the bed. I thought I was awake when I saw her, but since she wasn't there after a moment or two I assumed it was just a dream.

Then one day I came home late from work and my husband told me he had the weirdest experience. He was taking a nap after work and woke up, thinking he saw me in a white t-shirt leave the room (I have dark hair). He was so convinced I was home he called out to me and when I didn't answer, he started to get mad that I was joking around. He even got up out of bed and went into the living room, convinced I would be there, but of course I was not.

After we compared notes and realized what was going on, we would see her sporadically in the apartment, usually in the bedroom. We never told anyone because it was a little freaky still. Then eventually we stopped seeing her so often.

Maybe a year or so later, I was paying my sister to come in during summer vacation while I was at work and clean for me. She came in one Thursday and saw a dark-haired woman in a white t-shirt pass by the door of the bedroom. She thought I had stayed home sick or something and forgot to tell her, so she called out and went into the bedroom, but no one was there. She did not know about our ghost lady and to this day I never told her what that really was.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '12

yes, I have

JessM. JessM.
Apr '12

Yes I have many times............

Christine Christine
Apr '12

I have never seen a ghost, not even on a really hard drinking night. Maybe a pink spotted elephant or two, but no ghosts. Sorry.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

I would love to see a ghost. It would prove to me that there is an after live

Darwin Darwin
Apr '12

I too have had things happen for which there is no explanation, but have never actually seen anyone. I have however, seen orbs in pictures many times. Most times they are around my grandchildren.

Tanya Tanya
Apr '12

Not "see", but have experience of things happening at places.

Ireland, Galway, prestigious church just on the outskirts. Very, very particular about who goes in and how they treat it. Left and needed to cross the little stream to be on the safe side when it felt it was not getting the respect it should have had.

Bavaria, Buchbach the town nearest to ancestors. Very, very welcoming to a returning soul. Empty of anyone else but other ancestors yet cavernous applause for making the journey. "Wir kennen Sie".

A frat house with a storied past of its previous building. Why doesn't anyone go over to that corner even during the busiest of parties? "I feel like my feet are buried." Years later it turned out some distant relatives have a connection. Serious business.

Weird things happen. I still can't mange to write up Kiev even after 15 years. I'm not sure but that may actually have qualified as "seeing" if the others didn't see the Neo-nazi kids I did.

See if you can see the "ghost" in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaInh_noNTc

LOL hjc. Somebody sent me that in an email a few years ago. Almost jumped out of my seat back then.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

Some very cool stories :) Keep 'em coming

This HL website is a freak show and should become ghostly!

Notafan Notafan
Apr '12

Grandmother in the kitchen of our farmhouse a few weeks after she died. I was sent up the house to get some "stuff" and walked in, saw her standing at the sink where she normally was after a meal, doing dishes. She turned to me and said, I have just missed everyone so much and "poof". She was gone.

As a little kid, so was I... ran back to barn so fast I may have left my shorts behind :)

Stan: You are definitely "open" to spirits. I don't know if I wish I were or if I'm glad I'm not. In any case, I love hearing these stories.

Did anyone else read GC's post and understand it? Calico, I would like to see a pink spotted elephant. I'm doing something wrong. Show me the way!

Bruin Bruin
Apr '12

When I was 3 years old I spoke to my deceased great grandmother... my parents walked in as I was talking to the "air" and when asked what I was doing, i simply explained I was talking to grandma May. A name I had never heard before...... i also told them things about her that i could not have possibly known. i do believe children and animals can speak to ghosts.

7Hallows 7Hallows
Apr '12

I'm a firm believer in ghosts. I think people wish to believe that science will cover it all up and make some ridiculous name for it ... but reality they are what they are and that is spirits. And spirits are all around regardless if the place is haunted or not. One thing for sure is always keep and an eye out and an hear listening. You never know what you might see or hear.

Here are a few of my stories.

1. When I was a little girl I use to live across a farm house ( all the neighborhood houses were once land on the farm, like ours.) At first my sister being 15 saw this little girl. Long dark hair with a black dress. My dad saw her before my sister had. ANd I always got the chills and would never go bike riding near certain areas of my house. That I knew was a spirit was definitely around.

2. When I was older and in hs. I saw my grandfather stand in front of the door while I was doing my hw. My father and mother always heard footsteps up and down the stairs. It reoccured every night until I went to college. Than it completely stopped.

3. I went to college and bought my OWN space. And there was a little old lady who visited my place for about a week. I did a cleanse from a website because I did not want her to keep visiting me. And she disappeared. I only did a cleanse because with some spirits they feel that they ARE THE REAL owners. Kinda like beetle juice per say ... they think your intruding. SO you have to own your spot.

Many stories :) But love to hear others.

loudannoyedneighbors
Apr '12

here is the truth...my mother was terminally ill with cancer...I brought her home to live out her last days at my home...she was in my daughters room during her last days...my daughter slept in another bedroom during this difficult time...after my mom passed away...we moved my daughter back into her room...[my daughter had a beloved relationship with her grandmother]...the morning after my mothers passing...my daughter woke up extremely happy...and told us that Grandmother had visited her in the form of a bright light... in her bedroom...and comforted her...and told her not to worry...that would be just like my mother...just looking after her family...

oldman oldman
Apr '12

Yes I have seen 2 apparitions & I heard another 2 through "white noise" he told me his name was Michael and he had some connection to the Mansfield Motel. Now,mind you, I had just moved to my mothers house in h-town and didn't have the foggiest idea of what or where the Mansfield motel was at the time. I should also mention that my mother bought the house from an old Hungarian lady who's husband passed away in the house. I'm thinking that had something to do with my encounter but who knows..I just take them as they come, no fear

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Apr '12

Re: So who has actually seen a ghost?

Can't say for sure if I've seen a ghost.... but I have witnessed paranormal activity that could have been considered to be "spiritual". Whether it's a voice from nowhere, a touch on the shoulder, the air temp in a room dropping 40 degrees and returning to normal all within seconds, a door slowly opening and then slamming shut .......I've seen and filmed it all.
I would love to say I've seen a ghost. From tiny apartments to a castle in Ireland I've investigated "what goes bump in the night". It could be Hackettstown or Gettysburg. Eastern State Prison, Fort Delaware, or even ....Charlie Browns.
There are places that just breathe paranormal activity, then there are the down right fakes (one out of four TAPS investigations find misleading clients that invent evidence or lie about their claims).
But now that I think about it....... I guess I've seen a ghost or two in my travels. But with me working nights and always being tired, they could never wake me up!

Photo is from Bubes Brewery Investigation, Lancaster PA

John C John C
Apr '12

Bruin - I know I normally write in full sentences, but I thought a few short phrases would be better in this case. It's just a shorter synopsis of what happened in three different instances. The whole stories are much longer and the full details don't answer the original question any better.

I described three experiences, one in a famous Irish church where I clearly felt we were disturbing the place and was told to "Get Out!". I visited the small church where my German ancestors lived and heard applause. And at a frat house on the Lehigh U. campus I knew the reason why no one goes to a certain spot in their basement bar is because people hid there during Indian raids.

There is one German phrase that I figured anyone who wanted could just google - "Wir kennen Sie" means "we know you", as in we recognize you are our great, great, great, great grandchild.

Aaaaahhhhh, much easier to understand now. It was all disjointed and difficult to get what you were writing about, and that's not normally your style. Got scared your mind was breaking, lol.

Bruin Bruin
May '12

Bruin - "Got scared your mind was breaking". Too late....

But all disjointed is exactly how those things feel. That came through then.

Not a ghost per say but in the family..

woke up one night like a shot around 2am... the house was extremely cold (not during winter)

Hard to explain but the air felt odd... kinda thick and just not "right". I took my foot out from under the covers and went to step out of bed when a feeling of dread overtook me.. like...

Do not let your foot touch the floor or something very bad is going to happen.

So, back under the covers, back to sleep with some work and in the am, bright sunshine and a warm sunny day.

Here's some help for you guys and gals....enjoy.....LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4uxIo4t7xM

I have not "seen" a ghost - but I knew he was there. It was one of my dogs that had died many years previously. No kidding!

I was traveling the fast lane down 95S - and out of nowhere - "there" he was. I called his name. I said "I know you're here to tell me something but I don't know what it is!" I looked around - even on the passenger seat. There was nothing to see, but he was there. I was crying.

When I got to my destination, I tried to call my sister to tell her about it (this was in the days before cell phones). But she was not available. Just a few hours later, my sister's dog died suddenly.

All I can say is that my dog was there to usher my sister's dog over the rainbow bridge.

I have not "seen" a ghost before or since.

honey badger honey badger
May '12

What makes people think ghosts are real? Demons are real. They can pretend to be your dead loved ones. If you have items in your house such as magic books, tarrot cards, etc.; you will attract them.

Metsman Metsman
May '12

@mesman yes deamons are real too!!! But if you have magic cards or books. Your attracting negative grounded energy. There can also be good spirits too!!! SO don't go off scaring everyone now!!!

Mr. Mr.
May '12

Just because people see what they deem as good spirits, doesn't mean they are. Satan used calm and cunning to win over Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Metsman Metsman
May '12

My sister and I both saw a ghost when I was 12 and she was 10. We were home and looking into the backyard through the screen door. A man who was in black and white form dressed in a suit that looked like it was from the 1920's era, wearing a bolar hat and carrying a suitcase appear from out of no where and walked/floated a few steps forward. My sister and I froze because we both didn't know what to make of it. He stopped at a boulder in our yard, looked at both of us but didn't change his expression then made a left and faded through a fence. We both saw it and to this day can vividly recall the experience. It was unreal!

Schultz Schultz
May '12

I have one morning I was laying in bed with my eyes closed. When I had the strangest feeling that I was being watched and I knew i was the only one there so I slowly opened my eyes. And there was a woman laying in bed with me I would say she was about. 55 to 60 years old dressed in turn-of-the-century clothing . A black dress with a silver or gray shawl her Hair was up in a bonnet nice jewelry. She was looking right at me I close my eyes and open them back up and she was gone. It creeped me out for at least a month where I couldn't sleep. It's been over 20 years since I saw her and I still remember it like it was yesterday. It still gives me the willies once in a while

oldred
May '12

Damn oldred, glad you layed off the hootch! I had the same experience, but when I opened my eyes, she was still there, and said, "so big boy, did you have a good time last night?" I can still hear myself screaming....

Bruin Bruin
May '12

I had a young girl call my name at the foot of my bed clear as day I got up to see who was there but there was no one I layed back down and she did it again then one night she threw a picture of an angel I had one the wall across the room.my wife always said she seen a women in a blue dress in the corner of her eye and when she looked she would be gone since then I talked to two people who lived in the home after us all I said to them is that place is haunted they both went off about experiences they had . come to find out a 17 year old girl died there years ago she's still there I don't believe in this sh!t but it's true and if your laying in bed sober with lights on at 7pm watching tv and you get creepy hair standing on the back off your neck feeling those freaks talk about and a picture of a angel flys off your wall across the room right there in front of you you'll believe it too!

No bs
May '12

Here are some photos from our going away party for one of #1's ghosthunters.

John C John C
May '12

Grant reads his "card"

John C John C
May '12

One more photo then back to the regular scheduled subject.

John C John C
May '12

I've had a ton of experiences. I'm what they call "sensitive" to paranormal energy/activity. I've experienced apparitions, voices, shadows and orbs in photos, and physical sensations of there being a presence with me. My experiences have occurred mostly in historical places that I later found out had paranormal histories as well.

One of my coolest, earlier experiences was at a fort in Maryland. I used to hang back on tours because I preferred to do exploration a little on my own. And so I waited until the tour rounded the corner and I got down on the ground by this little area that was open below the fort (it had some stairs that went down to it) where I felt a pull towards. When I leaned down and looked in (it was completely dark) I heard two men literally discussing plans for their next battle. I went back to the area where we came in thinking people were outside the fort, but no one was there and when I went back to rejoin the tour, they had gone into a building away from the area, so it could not have been any of them talking. And NO ONE else was around. Thought that was pretty cool.

Then I had an experience in the Jennie Wade house in Gettysburg PA, which is known for paranormal activity. I actually had an experience as I walked through the hole in the wall that had been blown open from a battle explosion. I was the last one (again!) to go through so no one was around me when I walked through to the other side of the room and had a literal electrifying experience. It felt as if someone/something walked through me. It got so cold and every hair on my body stood up. I actually had to sit down on the floor to regain a sense of normalcy again. I got so dizzy and felt like I was sick. The tour-guide said something certainly happened to me.

Okay, one more story. This one is more personal. It was right after my grandfather passed away. My family went back to my grandparents house and we realized someone had pushed the deadbolt lock (they had a really complicated front door where there was this little nub thing that if pushed in, the door would completely lock and only a special key-that was kept in the kitchen since no one ever pushed it-would open it. So, with that locked, we were locked out of the house. There was a bunch of us waiting to get in the house, so we all were running around different doors and windows hoping something was open to let us in. I had the idea to try and use a bobby pin or something for the front door, so I was finagling it, and while I was doing so, my dad gave me the keyring with the front door key (and no key that opened that special lock) so he could go call a locksmith. And with the keys in my hand, I suddenly started to feel funny, and the keys were getting very warm. (Surprise, I was starting to feel like I did in the Jennie Wade house, only warm this time) and something made me choose a key on the ring and test it out. Well, then I had that electrifying sensation again and the key that we knew to not fit in the lock suddenly did and the door clicked open. As I stepped over the threshold, I was overcome with a strong scent of my grandfather's cologne, and I immediately knew he let me in that house. I gathered the rest of the family and told them what happened, and we all knew he was there for us then.

heartsong
May '12

heartsong,

Great stories! I love reading this stuff.

i have only ever experienced the feeling of someone being around me. I am a little afraid to see any ghosts.

photofun123 photofun123
May '12

I think I have seen a ghost.... it seemed to have a body like of a women. I did not see the face. It seem to be peering out of the room??? odd....

bigbother
May '12

ghost,angels, souls they are there and you sometimes will see them at times you can feel there presence if you want to dont be afraid and stand still and be open to them they will appear almost as a fog, a shadow,you will see white and a form, they come for a reason maybe to say good bye or something they cant let go. Dont be afraid and try hard to watch . They are there to tell you something whatever it is.

lifeis fine lifeis fine
May '12

I have never been a believer until 8 years ago and I have had too many unexplained experiences. I have in my bedroom alone witnessed my hairbrush pick up and fly across to the other side of my bedroom, my piano book that I had opened on my keyboard slam shut and I heard the smack of it slamming and then it fell and a young girl apparition that appeared with her arms crossed leaning on my bed. My cat and her were face to face...she then slowly faded away. The rest I will keep to myself....don't want to sound too "crazy". lol
I've thought about getting the ghost hunting devices, however I really don't think I want to capture an EVP or anything. I would rather put a blind eye to everything and pretend they are just isolated incidences and there is nothing here. It's bad enough that I have to sleep with my tv light on...lol

I have had many experiences. I have seen a dark figure of a person in one of our bedroom doors blocking out the light behind it.

I have heard my deceased Father In laws voice, many times (we now live in the house they built when they were first married)

When my mother passed away , I saw her best friends husband who had died the year before standing next to the wall in the lobby of the hospital. He smiled at me and then was gone.

My husband has heard his mothers voice calling him from inside the house, when no one is home.

Our daughter was home alone when we first moved in (she was 16 at the time) and she heard a conversation in the hallway , when she went to look no one was there.

I am not afraid of these experiences. I find them comforting knowing that the people who loved you in life, still are around you.

hackettstown wife hackettstown wife
Jun '12

I would love to have an experience with my parents, both of whom have passed recently, but so far, not really anything concrete has happened. I'd like to ask this though, has anyone had any spiritual experiences with a dog who has passed? This would give me great comfort at this time to know that they might go on in another world also.

Jams, not a dog, but my cat. He passed when I was away at school. One evening when I was home on a break I was walking into the kitchen and caught a movement. I looked behind me and he was sitting on the top of the steps. My brain said "oh its just Twe" and by the time it registered he was not supposed to be there, I turned again and he was gone. Another time I was asleep and I woke up to hear his telltale walk across my floor next to my bed :-)

JessM. JessM.
Jun '12

That's so neat Jess....thank you for sharing. It must have been very comforting. I hope to feel or see something...

We had a cat named "Jerri Lee" that loved to play Fetch with toy mice and balls. We really thought she was a dog in a cats body. Well her favorite thing to bring back was those green or red plastic rings that come off the tops of the milk bottles. You could throw them and she'd bring them back for hours. Jerri Lee passed away from cancer a few years back, and we buried her with her favorite toy!
About a month or two ago, I had gotten up to head off to work, and was just sitting on the couch looking up at the weather channel, and I had the sensation of a cat rubbing up against me. Looking down, there was no cat.......but on the cushion was one of those damn plastic rings. How it came from the garbage can in the kitchen to the living room is a mystery.

John C John C
Jun '12

I love hearing these stories....that is really comforting too, John. I guess I shouldn't be looking for it, it probably happens when you least expect it. I'll definitely share if I have an experience.(I hope!!)

John - that is a great story. Our neighbor's kitten LOVES the milk bottle plastic rings more than any other toy. Jerry Lee looks like he was a gorgeous color of orange, too. (Just the type of kitten we're looking for!)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '12

Several days after my mother died, I woke up in the middle of the night and there was the shadow of a woman standing in my bedroom doorway. Needless to say I freaked! Several months later I went with friends to a physic reading, I wasnt having a reading just accompanying friends. She stopped mid-reading and looked at me and said that my mom visited me to say goodbye (I was away when she died) but wasn't going to come back because I was so scared.

I was driving home one night with and my son was in the front seat. We came upon and apparition in the middle of the road, it was the size and shape of a person. It wasn't a foggy night so it really stood out. We thought it was pretty cool.

colleen26 colleen26
Jun '12

The day after my dad died in the hospital my mom saw and heard my dad walking up the driveway.

vous
Jun '12

No one has cause they arent real. I live in a 220 yr old house which has been used as a hospital during train wreck, man killed self in and so often people ask me if there are ghosts. I cant even reply cause what do I say? Guess I could say, sorry I didnt know you thought I was a fool. But Im glad some people think so cause it keeps people employed selling those tall tails.

So, aguy, I guess everyone who told their story here is either stupid or lying. Nice post. Sheesh!

How can you say that they're not real? Do you have some inside information that we don't? I too have doubts aguy, but unless you've come back from the dead-and I'm assuming you haven't-you know no more than anyone else. So instead of thrusting your opinion as fact upon the rest of us, can it!

a matter a fact I did come back from the dead, but it was a short trip just 3 minutes and I didnt even see those lites. But Doc. said thats cause you have to be brain dead to see them. Cbel.. they arent stupid or lying just confussed about what they seen or heard thats all. Did I really thrust it at you? Im sorry. I dont often mean to thrust at other men. My bad sorry.

aguy: Apology accepted, I think. Just please don't be so quick to mock your fellow HLers for what they believe (know) they saw.

aguy, when and if it happens to you I hope you are open minded enough to enjoy the experience.

guess my post did come off as rude. But, I had just got done reading the thread about state troopers assulting handicap man. I was flipping mad over that, so I just clicked on this thread and kinda just ranted. Really, I would be into see something like that. My mom always says she can smell my grandfather in the house at times. Im not sure if thats something I should make public smelly grandpa? But thats not really the case. He worked at a chemical plant so he smelt like his job often. IDK?

John C - I had something similar happen. Many months after losing my dog, I found a tuft of her fur outside my bedroom door one morning. I believe...

Webly
Jun '12

Interesting photo taken on the Gettysburg Battlefield over Remembrance Day weekend last November.

John C John C
Jan '15

As an atheist it is hard for me to believe in the existence of ghosts simply because they suggest an afterlife of some kind where a "soul" lives on without a body (although many here seem to suggest the body is still around as well). I do however, think that there are explanations for these occurrences and they are usually based on the stresses experienced by people in a time of tumult and loss. I think it is perfectly understandable that the mind may, in times of great emotion, create a scenario where a passed loved one might 'appear' in some fashion. At other times there are far simpler explanations, like noises, creaks, shadows and those good old "orbs". I always have to laugh when people ask me if I've seen ghosts in my house because it is 140 years old. Ever notice ghosts always live in old houses and never a 1980's contemporary or modern McMansion?
I just feel that all religions are essentially the same when distilled and usually form around the idea of what happens when we die. I believe one of the flaws of being the most intelligent mammal on the planet is that our sense of consciousness leads us to think we are far too important to simply "blink out" when the body gives up; that we cannot grapple with the idea of finite, and that there must be a part of us that goes on. But as with many things, the simplest and most likely explanations are often pushed aside in favor of a more complex, unlikely scenario.
Look at it this way...what is more likely, that we are advanced creatures with complex brains that function much like computers off of electrical nerve and chemical impulses and that when we die it's game over, or that we have a human body and a special, unique, ephemeral "soul" or spirit that lives on somewhere for eternity after the body dies, occasionally returning to earth to visit or haunt the living?

eperot eperot
Jan '15

Can't see something that doesn't exist! Years ago a member of the clergy told a story that the rectory basement was haunted on new year's eve. Everyone was scared and dared me to go. Of course you could only "see" the ghost if the lights were off...I went to the basement on nye, turned off the lights and waited...you want to know what i saw?! Not a damn thing. I stopped believing in Santa claus a long time ago. Same with the rabbit's foot, the four leaf clover, and all of that hocus pocus. So sit back, make a wish and enjoy yourself. But stop with the ghost stuff, it's kind of embarrassing.

My dining room chandelier turned on by itself last night-at first I thought my husband was coming into the living room but he was sound asleep upstairs. I must admit, it was a bit unnerving! (and I saw it go on because I can clearly see it from the living room). We've lived here two years and this has never happened before.

I have had many experiences, but the one that means the most was when I was 12. I woke in the night to go to the bathroom. I remember feeling upset for no reason. I went back in my room and got in bed. Things just didn't feel "right." A few minutes later my "grandfather" came into my room (he was only 70 years old, ALIVE and healthy and living in Bergen County). He told me he was there to say goodbye, that he loved me and would be watching over me. I tried to ask him what he meant - what was wrong - but he just sat there for a few and got up and and basically dissipated (hard to explain). I had a terrible feeling that something was very wrong and I ran into my parents room and woke them up screaming and crying "something is wrong with grandpa, he was just here in my room saying goodbye!!"

My parents thought I was nuts, tried to calm me down, saying I just had a nightmare and to go back to bed - but I insisted - and could NOT calm down. My parents were getting annoyed that I would not stop about it (it was around 2 am and a work night). Then, in the middle of our argument our phone rang. My dad ran to the kitchen to answer it and came back white as a sheet, eyes like saucers, staring at me.

It was my grandparents neighbor. Ten minutes earlier my grandma called an ambulance for grandpa and they were on their way to the hospital. Grandpa died in the ambulance.

My mom still talks about this.

Five years later, that same grandfather saved my life...Another story for another day...

Heidi Heidi
Jan '15

I've lived in a 1700's house with a ghost who had passed on in the last 10 years and like to rearrange furniture and close cabinets and other "tidy-up" things. He always verbally greeted -- with a "hello" -- new people to the house, and the 3 dogs would stop their playing and watch, although we couldn't see anything. None of this was a bother or a fright for me.

But about Gettysburg. I read something that seemed to make sense. It was proposed that the Gettysburg ghosts appear because of the attention from celebrations and re-enactments. It makes sense when I think of past cultures who actively honored and celebrated the dead, and had more ghost stories than present culture does.

redmink1 redmink1
Jan '15

How timely this forum -- just yesterday I had a lucid dream of my Dad. He was as real and alive as he could possibly be. I saw him, talked with him, actually touched him. He was younger than the age when he passed and very happy, smiling, peaceful. He spoke to me directly saying, "Yes, it's me!" Incredulous as it seems, I know he came to let me know he's ok and still with us. I woke from this dream hyperventilating. Both happy and sad. But mostly, feeling so very comforted & Blessed...

Leslie
Jan '15

I'm with eperot on this topic. I used to be easily influenced by the supernatural as a young adult. I experimented with all sorts of crazy things. I think I practically rolled out the red carpet for a demon or ghost to walk in but it honestly never happened. I thought I was experiencing things at the time but it could really be chalked up to wishful thinking, coincidence, and a vivid imagination.

I am also an atheist so I do have a hard time grasping an afterlife since I feel humanity needs to hold onto that belief for comfort. However, I do believe that we are subconciously capable of many things. Our minds are very powerful and cannot fully be explained. I guess our brain is a supernatural phenom in and of itself. JMO.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '15

"However, I do believe that we are subconciously capable of many things. Our minds are very powerful and cannot fully be explained. I guess our brain is a supernatural phenom in and of itself." Jazzykatt...
I so agree with your statement, Jazzykatt, and feel it is really a good thing to have a healthy skepticism about matters of the world in general. However, I must say that I also feel that despite not totally being able to prove that ghosts are real, we also cannot dismiss all the pieces of evidence in years past and in today's world that seem to prove they are. Doing some "googling" this morning on the subject and find it pretty interesting that even Albert Einstein believed in Ghosts...

joyful joyful
Jan '15

I never saw a ghost and am skeptical that they exist, but I did have three strange/funny things happen to me in the house I rented on Sharp St about 7 years ago.

One night when I was alone, I was watching Spike TV, turned the TV off and went to sleep. I woke up at about 2AM and went to the bathroom. Everything was dark and quiet. I got out of the bathroom to go back to bed and noticed my TV was on. It was on a different channel than it was when I turned it off and the show that was on was "Ghost Adventures"

Another time I was downstairs and my phone extension that was at my desk started ringing and the caller ID said that it was "Handset 2" calling (I had 4 extensions). I asked the kids who was calling me and they were all downstairs. I went upstairs and found extension 2, but no one was up there.

And the last thing that was strange was I had a large desk calendar on my desk and I was sitting near the desk talking to one of my kids and suddenly the desk calendar spun around completely 360 degrees. I can't see how either me nor my son could have touched it as we were a couple of feet away from it.

Seeing is believing so I am open to an experience if it ever comes. I just hope it's one of the good guys.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '15

i rented a house i had a few experiences.i was sitting in the livingroom and my kitchen cabinets were banging.my aunt was walking down the stairs felt coldness and all of a sudden something pushed her.my son was a baby and he would be talkin to something that they kept taking his toy truck.

As a kid, I used to be reading in bed, decide it was time for sleep and the light would turn off just before my arm raised. Often when I woke, the light was on and it felt like it came on literally as my eyes opened. Ghost or my own energy?

Since then have lived in numerous old houses and not a peep. One probably had the boys from Gettysburg camped in the front yard. All brick and stone, and not a peep.

The funniest one was our house on the coast. Old house, inside doors did not latch unless you pulled on em pretty hard when closing. House was subject to pretty good pressure changes as storms rolled in where outside and inside pressure could be radically different for a bit. Can't tell you how many times after some inexperienced door closer opened and shut the seven doors upstairs, I would be standing in the hallway as three to five of them swung open at once. There would be no draft, no wind howling, just multiple doors popping at the same time. Even if you know the reason, it's still raises the adrenaline a good bit.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Feb '15

I don't know if it was a ghost but I was looking at my uncles house a week after he died and I saw him pushing the lawn mower on the lawn or if I just missed seeing him do that

I worked at a local nursing home in h town and at night there were lots of chills and cold spots and shadows that move in the night and that feeling that there is some one there and there is on one there also you hear things at night most nurseing homes have this at night

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Feb '15

I look, but I see nothing............

2 cents
Feb '15

got ghosts??

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '15

This picture was taken in the cafeteria in St. Mary's ...I had put the can of soda down on the counter, walked away from it and when I turned around the can of soda was tilted. The can was half full, no dents in the can, and it was not frozen...

lifegoeson lifegoeson
Feb '15

Hmmmmmmm.......

John C John C
Feb '15

Can't wait to our return to Centenary in April. The 2nd floor chapel was very active with EVP's and the K2 Meter was running hot the last time there. Plus the full body apparition on the third floor caught on film was the highlight of the weekend.

John C John C
Feb '15

Wow! John C! That is exciting!

joyful joyful
Feb '15

We're in a new moon - the darkest nights of the lunar cycle. Perfect time to bump this up and see if anyone new has a ghost story to add?? These are fun to read!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

We were in Gettysburg last weekend for an investigation. I stopped to check out the progress at the Lee's Headquarters restoration about 4 pm, so it was still very light. While standing on the porch I happened to spot a young lady dressed as a reenactor walking across the the field towards the ruins of the barn. She crossed behind the barn but did not come out at the other side. I walked over towards the barn, but she was no where to be found. As you can see by the photo, it's not easy to hide.

John C John C
Jul '17

My buddy saw Jimmy Hoffa's ghost in the swamps of the Meadowlands after a Grateful Dead show in 1989

I think she was just in the woods behind the structure laughing at you :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '17

John - I bet you've seen more "unexplainable" things than anyone here! Great stories.

I'd love to have paranormal researchers on our 250+ year-old property (some have even asked to come) but I'm *way* too afraid to stir things up!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

We are always available to help. And Investigations normally don't stir things up.

John C John C
Jul '17

Just reading this whole thread now. Someone named Aquarius posted back in 2012 about her and her boyfriend seeing a woman with dark hair in their apartment. I had a very similar thing happen to my husband and I in the Village Green about 10 years ago. My husband woke up in the morning and asked me if I was up in the middle of the night, wrapped in a blanket, standing at the foot of the bed looking at him. He said it was you I could see your head (I have dark hair as well) and you had the blanket around your shoulders. Only problem was that I wasn't up at all during that night. It happened a few times. He would accuse me of being up at night walking around and waking him up, and I had slept soundly the whole night! Creepy. My husband is not a big believer in all the ghost stuff but whenever someone mentions ghosts he always tells about that weird appartment. I always think he was lucky that he didnt try to pull the blanket off whatever that thing was!

Once I arrived at a friends house to find her, her brother, parents, and a girl walking out of the house and loading his car for his trip back to college and he left. Later that evening over dinner we discussed what a arrogant and cranky man the brother was becoming. I remarked it didnt hurt his love life because the girl helping him move was very attractive. They didn't know what I was talking about there was no girl there that day, they are positive that I didn't walk past, make eye contact and say hello to anybody.
Ghost?

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '17

So was she carrying a box?

Jul '17

She was carrying something in front of her. I looked her in her blue eyes, gave each other a smile and hello head nod.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '17

Wow. I got nothing on that one. I mean ghost, looks like she belongs, makes contact, just wow. Incredible.

Did you ever go back, try to reconstruct, anything?

Jul '17

Visited the house several times over the following year but no reoccurrence.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '17

My friends and I were walking in Union Cemetary one day and as we were walking down one hill, we saw a group of people at the bottom. There were two boys, teenagers, and I think I saw a girl with them as well. One of them had a skateboard and they were shouting something. It took us not even two minutes to get down the hill, but when we got there there was no one. As we walked down that long path toward the gates, we kept looking behind us, and there was no trace of them. We got to the archway, and I turned around for maybe four seconds; we looked back and the teenagers were standing there, one of them skating down the hill. Figuring that was weird, we kept an eye on them as we left the cemetary. We didn't walk very far before looking back and realizing they weren't there anymore. Not on any of the hills. Nowhere.

Peculiar Child Peculiar Child
Jul '17

LL, I'm still around and I just read your story. That's pretty creepy, very similar to our experience. It would be freaky if I could say we lived in Village Green, but alas the apartment was in Netcong . . .

Aquarius Aquarius
Jul '17

LL in 1988 there was a brutal homicide that took place in Village Green Apartments. I can't recall off the top of my head which building it was in but you never know it could be the ghost of the woman who was killed.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '17

Jrzy - I never heard about the murder in Village Green. What were the circumstances? I googled, but only one article came up and you have to pay for a subscription to read it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Calico ~ It happened back in 1988, I think these links should work:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/8967092/joanne_jenkins_murdered/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/8967109/joanne_jenkins_murdered_pg2/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '17

O boy...I read the articles and we also lived on Golf Edge Circle. We lived in building 12. However we lived in a one bedroom apartment, not a two bedroom as described in the article, but who knows...

Either way what a terrible story. I really hope she and her family were eventually able to find some type of peace.

Aquarius thanks for getting back to me after all these years lol. I am actually glad your experience was not also in the Village Green!

I think personally this is the best video out of Ghettsyburg -

as far as local,,,
I remember it was Beniost mass killing on the tracks probably 1977 or 78 or 79 as a kid and and that shooting at the apartments didn't happen too much after that definitely not 1988 probably 1978 or 1979 it was like Son of Sam in Hackettstown back then or MK Ultra.

Good video though of G'Burg - there is a a slowed down zoomed in video of this on Youtube just cant find it. Think it is probably legit cause these yahoos taking it don't have the skills to fake it. imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3q_ZyoEpUs

Thanks for the links Jrzy.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Sorry RU. That video was found to be faked.

John C John C
Jul '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.