HHS vs. West Morris HS

Thoughts on which HS is better? I know what the rankings are and West Morris comes out better but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences and/or opinions on which HS they would prefer to send their child to...thanks

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Apr '12

Definately West Morris! The academics and standards are so much higher. Several different programs to meet any childs needs from the IAB progam to studies classes. Would not send my child anywhere else. Just look at the newspaper at the end of the year....you will see all of the top rated colleges these kids get accepted into.

You really do not have a choice where your child goes to school. It depends on what town you live in. My feeling is that if your child has a strong work ethic, participates in activites and/or sports, and has strong study habits they can be successful at any school. My son graduated from Hackettstown and was accepted to every school he applied to. He is finishing his sophomore year at Monmouth University and has been very successful, and received a nice scholarship. I am sure there are many success stories from WMHS as well.

Actually you do LCSG if you are willing to pay tution.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '12

Oh will this be a thread!!!!

deviljet
Apr '12

All depends on your address.

perhaps the OP is thinking of moving

Computer Sharp Computer Sharp
Apr '12

Firefly is correct.. I actually went to WMC but my child will be going to HHS. HHS has TONS to offer as well as WMC. As long as the child applies himself/herself there should be a great outcome. Sports programs are both great from what I have witnessed. Good Luck to the happy student wherever he/she may go ! :)

darlughh darlughh
Apr '12

West Morris is a bigger school in a wealthier community. Please, lets leave it at that. I like both schools and that's from an "objective" reporter's view.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '12

"Objectively" (that is based on available data)...there's no comparison. For example, in 2010 NJ Mag rankings WMC is ranked 43rd in the state and Hackettstown is #191 - this is not even in same league.

http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/highschoolrankings/top-high-schools-2010.html

Hackettstown loyalists will find fault with the data (which is based on Dept. of Educ. data) but any data will point to the same findings.

Honesty and facts should trump personal bias here.......there is absolutely no comparing the quality of these schools. Period

H-town Mama, you asked a couple of *very different* questions.

Which is better? WM (Mendham is different than Central) offers more choices in academics and in sports. But each has its "sweet spot" of specific offerings.

Which someone would prefer to send their child to is a very different question. Either school can be the right answer. There are many factors, including academic offerings and extra-curricular activities as well as friends already made and who you want your kids playing with.

Ken E
Apr '12

Ken E - WMM and WMC are in the same regional school district. They are just separate facilities. All the kids in Washington Township go to Central, whereas Mendham houses the Mendhams and the Chesters. The schools offer pretty much the same academics and sports. For instance, Central offers German but Mendham does not and instead offers Latin which Central does not. If you lived in Washington Township and your child wanted Latin you could send your child to Mendham but you would have to provide the transportation. The same sports are offered in both schools. Mendham does have a turf field, which the parent groups paid for and Central does not. Central typically has lower test scores, (and thus you will see that WMM is listed as #26 in the NJ ranking hjc referenced) but you have to understand that Central houses Bartley Academy, which is the "alternative" school for those kids who are challenged by a regular school curriculm. Kids from the Mendhams and the Chesters who fit this demographic are bused to Central. In addition there are more special needs kids at Central.

I probably provided more information than you needed but I did want to point out the WMM and WMC are basically the same.

BLD2
Apr '12

In Clinton Twp. Hunterdon County families do have a choice of sending their kids to Voorhees or North Hunterdon which are part of the same school district ... I've talked with some who made the choice based on which school was better at their favorite sport.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '12

HHS did make a solid improvement from 2008 to 2010. I believe the next ranking comes out in August. If HHS can make a similar climb it will rank right in the middle which is acceptable. All things being equal if you had the choice West Morris is the clear choice.

LAX'er LAX'er
Apr '12

If you do not live in the Chesters , The Mendhams or Long Valley I do not believe you can attend any of their schools. If you live in Hackettstown thats where you go.

I am developing a major inferiority complex. I can't believe everything I missed out on. :-(

I would never send my kid to Hackettstown. This town is filled with people who are rude and don't care about peoples feelings. I moved here and ya'll are killing me spread the kindness people please

Tim Rendon Tim Rendon
Apr '12

cv - You are correct. WMRHSD does not participate in any type of school choice program. There are a few students who pay tuition but they are allowed to attend because a parent teaches in the district.

BLD2
Apr '12

It all comes clean in the end....see who ends up going where, and who does what. I am sure there is as high a percentage no matter where you go of graduates with and without jobs. Probably just as important is giving your child a strong, supportive environment to grow up in.

acl76 acl76
Apr '12

HHS is a circus and the ring leader is a NIT - WIT.

Cindy Cindy
Apr '12

We can make all the criticisms, easy to take a shot at any district, but, do you help? Are you trying to make make it better? Other things not mentioned, no district has the drug culture under control, and each of these three have had children taking their own lives in the past year. Most important thing is to give your child a solid base at home.

acl76 acl76
Apr '12

I must tell you I feel the funding formulas are screwed up. @ac176 you are so right. WMC has less programs than WMM. WMM is always ranked higher yet it is the same region. Unfortunately demographics in my opinion dictate how things roll in NJ.

I never went to school in NJ. I can tell you I went to school in Brooklyn and Staten Island and NYC offers a very good public education.

I have a child in the Long Valley School system and I am very happy with the schools. She has not reached the High School, yet, but we are looking forward to the day that she will attend there.

I do have one comment that is slightly different from the rest. If you are looking to move and your choices are in Hackettstown or Long Valley and you are thinking of the move just for the school system... there is another consideration.

When I was going into the 10th grade, my family moved within the area that then put me in a different district. In this case, the district was of comparable academics, but it was the rival school from the district that I had attended up to that point.

Couple of things happened. I had a hard time fitting in because I had come from the rival district. I did make some friends along the way, but never had the close feel that I would have if I had stayed in the old district.

Second... I was on the honors classes track in the old district, but because the program was different in the new district and I did not start at the appropriate year for that district, I was placed in regular classes and was extremely bored. In fact, in my strength class (math) I had to suffer through 2 years of instruction where I did minimal work and received straight 100's on the report card before they finally (in my senior year) allowed me to take both Calculus and Pre-Calc at the same time.

This change was a major impact to me and how I saw education. Even though I did well in that school, I did not have the high school experience that I would have if I had remained in the other school.

Here the academics of the schools were comparable... the impact was social and related to how they approached the higher classes.

I recommend you speak to the schools regarding your child and see if there will be an impact that you did not intend with this move.

It is not an easy decision, but I am sure you will do what is best for your child.

Coralie Coralie
Apr '12

Well, people that know me know I'm delighted to have my girls go to HHS --- they did wonderfully with my son who had some challenges. And now with Mr. Sarcone there, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll still be there when my girls move up.

a big here, here to LCSG --- school environment counts for very little if you have a motivated child and conscientious parents, I'm sure emaxxman will agree on that since his family definitely falls in that category : )

Statistics, yep the West Morris schools right now are still showing up much better, but HHS made a HUGE leap up in score results when they eliminated the large block scheduling. Modified block has helped kids both in test scores as well as retention. Do I think it will ever rival WM in scoring, NOPE. Just as the US will not rival those countries that choose to only educate the best and brightest. We will always rank lower since we have many students from every economic spectrum.

Why am I excited to have my girls go to HHS? The wonderful relationship it has with Centenary College, built in part by the BOE and Mr. Gratz. Hopefully this relationship will continue to grow! If my girls play their cards right (read: work at it) they can come out of HHS as a college sophomore!! You simply cannot beat that opportunity.

There's more, but I figured I'd err on the side of brevity....

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '12

Trekster - I'm glad you are happy with your children's education at HHS but you are aware that just about every district in NJ also offers the same opportunity for motivated students.

BLD2
Apr '12

Yep, BLD2, that's why I said school environment counts for very little.... motivated child and conscientious parents mean a lot more.

Oh and I'm a roses and sunshine kind of person, while people see the bad, I choose to see the good.... I imagine I would find equally as glorious things about WM schools, if my child were going there. Still can't beat the relationship with Centenary though....

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '12

Central used to offer Latin as well as German back when I was there. The area was not quite as built up as it is now with the million dollar homes, etc. There was some money around but not anything like there is now. Many of my former classmates went on to be very successful. Funny thing is some of the most successful did not do incredibly well in school at the time. I had good and bad experiences in the LV school system. It really comes down to what kind of student your child is and how the parents help them to flourish. I do know that at the time the drug problems in LV were no different than with the kids in Htown. The kids I know now who are LV grads, or will be also talk about how prevalant drugs are even more now so due to the $$. Just as Hackettstown was rated one of the best places to live in the country a few years ago, Long Valley has always been known for having a wonderful school system. It has been used by realtors as a tool for selling homes in the area for the last few years.

My child will go to HHS since I proudly live here in town. I see what rankings are and what not, I still feel my child will do quite well. LMR mentioned the top rated colleges WMC students get into, etc. Many HHS students also get into top rated colleges.

On a side note, one thing I really like about living in Htown compared to growing up in LV, is the close knit feel of the town. If your child starts out in Htown elementary and ends up in HHS, you will know many of their friends and Parents, family, etc. I am not talking about being friends with the families neccasarily but knowing people more. When you know the family it helps to know who your kids are hanging out with and keep tabs on their social activities much easier. One thing that makes that occur early on is the lack of busing in Htown. Parents are out of their caves and getting to know one another during drop offs and pick up at the younger grades. Instead, in LV you many never know all of your child's friends and families because they can live by Chester all the way to Port Murray. Obviously, these relationships can form through other ways, such as sports and other programs. I just like the feel of how people are in Htown more so. Although, HHS has other sending districts, kids do meet during other events and sports as I mentioned. You tend to meet people that way prior to HHS. Of course, just my opinion. The LV I grew up in was a bit more different than it is now. Htown Mama, were you thinking of making a move? or just asking for the sake of asking? Given your name, I would guess your child or children would attend HHS. One thing I also noticed as my child grows older. Many parents bash other schools because they want to feel comfortable with their choice in life to live where they live, etc. I do think there are great things about both schools and areas to live. If you are planning to move just for that reason, to me that would not be a good enough reason to move.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Apr '12

those who worry about the rugs and the lack of academic rigor can choose to homeschool their children, it s a viable option.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '12

worry about the drugs i mean not rugs

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '12

BrotherDog - The rugs on the floor or on top of the teacher's heads? :):)

BLD2
Apr '12

Re: HHS vs. West Morris HS

Look how cute our mascots are, playing together all nice!

Aww..that is cute cr37!!! it is true though all the kids from both schools do form nice friendships.
Some of the rugs I would worry about in WMC, in some of what used to be considered an add on building in the 80's. JK brotherdog. My point was that drugs are in all towns. That will never change, unfortunately. If I was homeschooled I would need some serious drugs!!!

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Apr '12

There is a sign off the BQE in Brooklyn thats says SAY NO TO DRUGS AND YES TO RUGS.

yes, and we know that 'throw rugs' are a 'gateway rug' that leads to full time dependence on wall-to-wall carpeting,

and that's when you know you have a problem, so i say nip it in the bud

give me tile floors and hallways in all our schools and a really big bucket of 'mop and glow'

let's keep our kids safe.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '12

BD - "nip it in the bud". I think you mean "nap" it.

Youngnfresh I like the way you put it best...I think along the same lines as you and will not make the move so my child can go to WMC even though that is the alma mater of all 5 of my younger siblings...my child goes to HHS and is dong well so I think I hold off on making any changes so he can graduate from there. I was really torn by the decision to change his school and move but thanks to everyone on this forum I was able to get sme clarity.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Apr '12

"HHS did make a solid improvement from 2008 to 2010. I believe the next ranking comes out in August. If HHS can make a similar climb it will rank right in the middle which is acceptable. All things being equal if you had the choice West Morris is the clear choice."

- LAX'er

And the 2010-2011 rankings are in - http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/top-new-jersey-high-schools-2012-.html

Hackettstown fell from 191 to 216. But the HHS parents and taxpayers probably aren't as angry as the people in Chester/Mendham. WMM fell from 26 to 45, (WMC fell from 43-56.)

Bear in mind...being in a "wealthier community" also brings trying to keep up with that lifestyle. so if you can handle the spring breaks to the bahamas, anthropoligie clothing, and winter break in vail...this is based on a friend's personal experience having moved in that direction. there are certain things that "up the ante" which aren't always positive when you're only 15. just a thought. sometimes simple is better. especially when high school is usually all about what you make of it --no matter what's offered -- and who you hang out with.

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Aug '12

NJ Monthly is not exactly the most well known publication.

gen3Townie....yes there are many families that live the life style you describe....all very down to earth and nice people and then there are some just run of the mill people that are nice also. Having money does not automatically mean you are a snob.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

h-townmamma pay hackettstown if you want your kid to go there

bigbear
Aug '12

Morris County is the 8th wealthiest county in the country so their schools are going to be better...but they all shop in Warren County. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

HHS now ranks right with Dover. The town it is turning into.

Lax'er Lax'er
Aug '12

Firefly-- never said these folks were "snobs," just that their discretionary income may lead to a lifestyle that can be a challenge to keep up with, especially in this age of many parents giving their kids everything the kids next door have. might be a tough situation if your income doesn't bear that.

gen3Townie gen3Townie
Aug '12

gen3Townie - I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you regarding most of the Long Valley folks that I know.

I have lived in Long Valley for 18 years and have sent my child to school there since 1st grade. She is now entering 5th grade.

My daughter is very active in the community and has friends from each of the elementary schools. All the parents I have met (and this is a lot based on the fact that I am active in the PTO) are down to earth people.

The most I see is the annual vacation someplace out of town, but that could just mean down to the shore. Yes, people do go on vacations to resorts and cruises and such, but it is not every break. It is the occasional and they work to save for that extra.

There are homes in Long Valley that range from the upper 100's to up to 1 million. This range is supported in each of the elementary schools. I know, because we recently moved within the district and did a lot of house hunting. Also, my child has friends in all the income and housing brackets in the township.

It is up to the parents to make sure that their children grow up to understand the value of a dollar and such. I see kids that live in the less expensive homes having all the gadgets and I see kids in the more expensive homes being told no, they cannot have a cell phone because they do not need one.

How you spend your income is up to each person and family. All I can say is that in Long Valley (since that is your example) it is not as you make it appear.

If anyone feels that they will give in to pressure to what a neighbor is doing or has, then that is a personal problem that they need to deal with.

Coralie Coralie
Aug '12

Coralie is right on the target with what I was thinking. There will always be the one or two families that try compete with "keeping up" but most others are raising their families based on their value system. Sometimes it lines up with yours and sometimes it doesn't. Guide your child (while you still can) into activities and into friendships that align with your family values and you will encounter less problems along the way.

I will say that when it comes to competing in sports, dance, music it can be very expensive for a family with less means but those families tend to put their money into their kids and skip a vacation all together or cut back someplace else. I think the clothing, jewelry, electronics craze is in every demographic.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '12

For a relatively unbiased look at the report card here is the ledger article on the subject.

http://www.nj.com/inside-jersey/index.ssf/news_features/new-jerseys-best-public-high-schools.html

This is based on the NJ School Report Card web page, munged for comparative viewing. Briefly it shows the following:
W.M. Mendham is as you would expect very well ranked, but average home values there are also three times that of Hackettstown.
W.M. Central is ranked 12 points below Mendham, with home prices 30% below Mendham.
Hackettstown is ranked 30 points below Central with an average home value of 50% of Central and 33% of Mendham.

That being said all are ranked fairly well. Hackettstown is in the top 10 for its group, as in Mendham, West Morris is 19th in the same group as Mendham. Implying that H'town does better for its size, but WM has more to offer because of its size.

So as far as comparing Apples and Oranges, both schools are pretty good but they are different. I suspect there are good and bad kids in both, and good and bad teachers in both.

Agust Agust
Aug '12

I was looking at High School rankings today, Hackettstown is 97th in the state. Compare that to my Alma Mater, Roxbury, which is in Morris County, and we are like 50 positions higher.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '12

I guess the Succasunna imports cancel out all the Landing trash (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '12

@Metsman, on the ledger link above RHS rated a 198.7 and HHS rated 198.35 virtually a dead heat. The difference is that home values in Roxbury average about $400K and Hackettstown average about $360K.

Oh and RHS is a big group 4 school and HHS is barely a group 2 school.

Agust Agust
Aug '12

@ianimal Just to be clear "Shore Hills Rules".

Agust Agust
Aug '12

Wouldn't "King"'s Cove rule, Agust?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '12

Agust, I don't know what those numbers mean. I am going by pure ranking. Out of the 300 something schools, Hackettstown is #97.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '12

Metsman - Where is the listing you referenced? Can you provide a link?

Metsman, the problem is the various sites rank things differently. They manipulate the numbers and weigh them differently based on different criteria. For instance some consider SAT score more than AP scores, some factor in the % of students taking SAT. (For instance if a school pushes everyone to take the test, score decline. If they convince the kids not going to college to avoid taking the test (to save money) then the average scores go up. If they factor in English as a Second language number then schools with lots of immigrants can either raise or lower their English ranking.

The other thing is some sites include magnet schools and some don't. Some separate or group the schools by size, others by income, others by geography, others by some variety of other criteria.

In short the statistics can be made to say whatever the producer of the statistics is trying to sell. Which is why Roxbury and HHS are almost identical in ranking in one study and vastly different in the other.

Agust Agust
Aug '12

I can't find the site I looked at yesterday. Now I am seeing it is 161 on another site.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '12

Again Metsman - can you provide a link to the site you are referencing?

Metsman - You still haven't provided the links. Does they even exist?

Here is the link to a website that has HTown rated 97th, based solely on combined HSPA scores from 2011. Note how clustered the scores are - we are talking about tenths of points between many schools.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NJ/schoolrank.aspx?level=3

Hopefully the link goes right to the page with Hackettstown.

CR37 - Thanks.

Metsman - Just so you understand you are comparing apples to oranges with the comparison between the two rankings. As CR37 pointed out the listing you referenced is solely based on a test juniors take in order to graduate. The listing I provided, where Roxbury is ranked as 93 and Hackettstown is ranked as 216 compares students SAT scores and A/P scores. Many of the students at the top high schools in NJ underperform on the HSPA's because they know they only need a certain score to graduate and they wisely choose to focus their energy on the SAT. No college is ever going to look at their HSPA score unlike the SAT.

CR37 - It goes to the main page - but if you enter Hackettstown in the seach field at the bottom, it takes it right to it ----

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '12

"Many of the students at the top high schools in NJ underperform on the HSPA's because they know they only need a certain score to graduate and they wisely choose to focus their energy on the SAT. No college is ever going to look at their HSPA score unlike the SAT."

Do you have any evidence to back that up? I would think that a college-bound junior SHOULD ace the HSPT with no preparation whatsoever. I know I did... but then again, I got 1410/1600 on my SATs as a junior without doing any prep work at all and extremely hung over from a huge party at the Strawberry Patch the night before... so maybe I'm not a perfect example, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '12

Your child can succeed in any school they attend - the school does not earn the grades your child receives, your child does. If you are going based on scores, yes West Morris has significantly higher test scores. Take the fact that H'town is a much smaller school. Instead focus on looking at the top 5%-10% of each school and there is not such a big difference. It has been said a thousand times, in a thousand different ways: You get out of something whatever you put in. Work hard in high school, get involved, study, join clubs - make a relationship with your teachers, as parents be involved - make sure your child is keeping up with their assignments and budgeting their time. They still need guidance, you are their source of encouragement. Great kids come out of Hackettstown High School and go onto to achieve much success. Be part of the solution as a community.

tiger fan 15
Aug '12

What evidence are you looking for? As CR37 wrote above, "Note how clustered the scores are - we are talking about tenths of points between many schools". The top students know how much they need to pass - and that's all they need to do - pass. Ask them. I've seen answer sheets with patterns on them. The kids answered enough questions to pass and then got artistic.

And Ian - just think what school you could have gone to if you had gotten a perfect SAT score.

Hackettstown is a mediocre school that isn't very academically challenging. If your child is an average student they should farewell at Hackettstown. If you're child is academically advanced I don't recommend it. For example most of the higher ranked schools start Algebra in 8th grade for all students whereas in Hackettstown only a small minute group of high honor children are offered it and the rest of the population isn't offered Algebra till the 9th grade. If you look at the HSPA Math scores from the publication below you will clearly see how starting Algebra in 8th grade has given the top schools an upper edge on the HSPA testing. Most have scored above 40% whereas Hackettstown only scored at 25%. This alone sets Hackettstown back in the HSPA testing for the higher peer schools are ahead in this subject. Take note in this publication how Hackettstown only offers 10 AP tests whereas the higher ranked schools all average above 15. https://www.box.com/s/7c300516930c32f71a8e
You will also see in that publication that only a small percentage of Hackettstown juniors tested above proficient in the HSPA Language and Math whereas the higher ranked schools all scored way above Hackettstown IMO! due to them having a more academically challenging curriculum then Hackettstown. You know your kid best, so IMO! go wherever your instincts tell you to go and what you feel would be the right fit for your child.

Realist Realist
Aug '12

Don't forget the rankings based on the SAT/AP combo are put out by testing companies in order to judge whether the school is providing enough income to them.

Hackettstown gets penalized because the fewer number of AP's is because far more have actual college credits instead.

SAT scores aren't the litmus test they used to be, they're important but only one tool.

GC - How many kids earn college credits from WCCC at Hackettstown High School and in what subjects and how many do they earn? How many earn credits from Centenary and in what subjects and how many do they earn?

Here's a report regarding WMRHSD's A/P and IB results for the past five years - http://www.wmrhsd.org/subpage.asp?mainID=143

West Morris Regional High School district will also now be participating in NJIT's Secondary Partnership Program( http://www.njit.edu/precollege/partnerprograms/oa3.php), which will allow students to earn college credit for courses taken in high school. WMC students can earn college credit through the A/P and/or IB programs or through taking classes through CCM or NJIT.

Many colleges (including Ivy Leage) count credits from WMRHS for IB and AP toward their credits. All my daughters friends who graduated from such programs were able to complete their BA in 3 years, some decided to have 2 majors (got in 3.5 or 4 years) or had a year study abroad. This practice is already in place for at least 8 years.

Although both schools have many great programs, Hackettstown has options for student to take courses at Centenary. For example, this summer students many classes including Cal 2, World Religions and intro to Criminal Justice. An approved list can be found at http://www.hackettstown.org/1613201211154443563/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=55441.

Hackettstown also has many AP Courses including English, Science, Math, and History courses. Some are in conjunction with WCCC and two are in conjuction Seton Hall University. A complete list can be found at http://www.hackettstown.org/1613201211154443563/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=56026&1613201211154443563Nav=|265|&NodeID=266

However at either school students can look for opportunities outside of the classroom. Some of the opportunities can be from sports, academics, leadership based, or through community service.

tigergirlalumna tigergirlalumna
May '13

WMRHSD is ramping up their technology capabilities and offerings - http://newjerseyhills.com/observer-tribune/news/glowpoint-shines-on-west-morris-rregional-district/article_c45f4ace-eef4-11e2-941f-0019bb2963f4.html

Hackettstown High ranked 211th, West Morris Central ranked 11th and West Morris Mendham ranked 4th in NJ Monthly's 2014 list of NJ High Schools -

http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/top-schools-alphabetical-list.html

Oh geez, West Morris has better drugs and can keep it quiet. Better rank means more pressure on the student. Some kids cannot take it. IMHO go where your child will thrive and you can spend time with your child.

acl76 acl76
Sep '14

Go with the rankings.No contest !

Notice there is no mention of what criteria was used for this list. A separate list ranked Hackettstown #1 in Warren County - but in this list we're #5?

Its all BS. Figures Lie and Liars figure...

Marlin Perkins
Sep '14

criteria includes % kids hitting 1550 on the sat's, and % kids going to 2- or 4-year school after graduation, number of ap and ib courses offered. that seems like some reasonable criteria to rank a school on, if your intention of a high school is to get the kids to move on to post secondary schooling.

with that said, students can apply themselves wherever they are, and can often be successful getting to wherever they want to go.

the difference is it requires a little more self motivation at a "lower ranked" school.

ken e
Sep '14

man i need to move before my kids hit high school.

darwin darwin
Sep '14

Marlin - Where is Hackettstown ranked #1 in Warren County? To answer your question -

From NJ Monthly -

http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/top-schools-2014-methodology.html

"Data for the New Jersey Monthly ranking of the state’s high schools were obtained from the state Department of Education’s most recent New Jersey School Performance Reports (covering the 2012-2013 school year). Only public high schools were included in the rankings. Among the 339 high schools ranked are seven charter schools. A handful of schools lacking sufficient data were excluded. A separate list of the top 20 vocational schools was compiled using only the limited set of data available from the DOE.

Leflein Associates, an independent research company in Ringwood, analyzed the data by first standardizing individual indicator scores so that small differences did not have a disproportionate impact on the ranking, but very large differences were not minimized in the relative scores. These indicators were grouped into three categories: School Environment (with a weight of 1); Student Performance (with a weight of 1.5); and Student Outcomes (with a weight of 2.1). The weighted summary scores for each category were added together to arrive at the final overall score. The schools were ranked according to that score.

Here are the categories and indicators used in the ranking:

School Environment: The sum of the standardized rank scores for student/faculty ratio; number of AP and/or International Baccalaureate (IB) tests offered; and percent of 11th- and 12th-grade students taking at least one AP or IB test in English, math, social studies or science. (Grade 12 enrollment is shown in the published charts for reference only; it is not part of the scoring.)

Student Performance: The sum of the standardized rank scores for students scoring 1,550 or better on the SATs; the combined percentage of students showing advanced proficiency on the HSPA exams; and the percentage of students scoring a 3 or higher on AP tests or 4 or higher on IB tests.
Student Outcomes: The sum of standardized rank scores for four-year adjusted cohort graduation rate (the number of four-year graduates divided by the number of first-time ninth-graders who entered the cohort four years earlier) and the percentage of students enrolled in a two- or four-year college 16 months after high school graduation.

Vocational schools: Schools defined in this category by the state Department of Education were ranked using the same methodology as other public schools, but with limited data. The School Environment score is based solely on student/faculty ratio. Student Performance is based on SAT and HSPA scores only. Student Outcome is based on adjusted cohort graduation rate only.

Special Note: For certain districts where there were obvious errors in the data (Madison Borough, Monmouth Regional, Piscataway Township, Palisades Park, Paterson City and Paterson Charter School for Science and Technology), corrections were obtained directly from the districts or were based on prior rankings."

Knowing what I know from my father being on the Washington twp school board many years ago, all my sisters and brothers graduated from west Morris, the fact that I have more heroin addicted clients with kids that graduated from west Morris than I do from hackettstown I am so glad I moved from Washington twp back to hackettstown so my kids could go to the school system here!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

H town mama... You should probably be careful what you post about your clients and their personal lives. This a very small town...people talk and everyone knows everyone. But I'm sure you already know that

There is nothing wrong with what I posted. I think you need to be careful about whose posts you respond too. No names or identifying info is published... Go back and re read. I guess the truth hurts!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

H-town Mama, your posts make it clear why HT residents aren't eager to become one of your "clients".

hhs75
Sep '14

Lol
No one wants to be one of my clients that's for sure! Trust me id i'd rather not have clients but I do!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

Well, that explains it.

hhs75
Sep '14

Not trying to make an argument here, just tying to understand the info given. Does the sum of students scoring above a 1550 indicate the total number of students with that score? Wouldn't that make it easier for larger schools to score higher? (Thus why I may be misinterpreting something). The total number of AP/IB tests would also favor larger schools that have wider offerings. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Mao and hhs75 are you one in the same? Just curious what both of your posts meant?

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

H-town Mama, your posts make it clear why HT residents aren't eager to become one of your "clients".
hhs75
12 hours ago

I'm confused

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

West Morris is a better high school - why is this even a question? It does not mean, however that your child will not find success at any high school, including Hackettstown. The student makes the school .... working hard, getting involved, making your community better will ensure success. End of argument.

tigerfan31
Sep '14

Just do your best for your kids...and yourself. Take the time to talk to them. The rankings do not tell you what percentage drive drunk, see counselors, attempt suicide, those are the things that are important... school rank does not tell the whole picture..

acl76 acl76
Sep '14

H-town Mama not one in the same; but I do agree that you shouldn't be bad mouthing what you called your "clients".

hhs75
Sep '14

Just check all the ratings,numbers don't lie ! Very simple

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.