Dog Allergies!!!

Well my family and i were about to adopt this adorable beagle mix.However i held her in my arms and about 1/2 hr after i notice i had hives all over my arms, so i did'nt bring her home :( I never heard of dog allergies causing hives.Has this ever happened to any of you? I guess my search continues. Sighhhh

luvjazz luvjazz
Apr '12

Most people aren't allergic to dogs

It could be that she just needs a really good bath and something on her coat is making you break out.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '12

I have dog allergies but only to certain breeds. You are more allergic to the dander then the hair.

Christine Christine
Apr '12

Nosila i was just reading something about that too.I also remember that she just arrived from down south and i'm sure she was not bathed or anything. I was approved for her and was going to return later on to pick her up,but when i told a volunteer what happen to me she said that it sounds like i had a allergic reaction to her skin and that i might want to think of getting a hypoallergenic dog.I was starting to wonder if she just needed a flee bath.

luvjazz luvjazz
Apr '12

that was my first thought.....I bet she had some kind of tick treatment or even a shampoo that was used on her coat......shampoo or something. Maybe go hold another dog and see if you get the same reaction? just bring benedryl :o)

Crazy Cat Lady Crazy Cat Lady
Apr '12

I agree with Nosila. She probably needs a really good bathing and brushing. Don't give up just yet.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '12

Don't give up . I get irritated playing with my dogs all the time. I have no allergies. I know for a fact they need baths.

I agree...more likely something she'd gotten into, or if she'd been bathed/had a treatment, that could be the culprit

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '12

Sometimes I get a rash on the insides of my elbows when I bathe my dogs. More likely a reaction I am having to the shampoo than to the dogs because it never happens when I hold the dogs. Rash goes away within 24 hours. Could you take the dog home on a trial basis and see if you can get it cleaned up (can't imagine that they would put dogs up for adoption without even bathing them but I guess that's because I am crazy about keeping my dogs clean...)? I had a hive reaction when I was a kid to flour. I was baking bread with my grandmother and had flour all over the place. Never had a reaction since.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '12

I learned from an allergy doctor there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. When people are allergic they are allergic to dander which is in saliva, urine and the hair follicles.All dogs have dander even if they don't shed.

We owned a beagle and if he rubbed his nose or licked my hands or arms I would get several hives...Now we have a terrier mix and I have the same reaction...I don't let him lick my face or arms, and petting him seems to be ok...I do bathe him often..

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Apr '12

I've had someone who is highly allergic to dogs "test out" my toy poodle to she if she would react. (Iggy is bathed and blown dry/brushed every Sunday, and gets regular, gentle brushings.) She had no reaction to him whatsoever, and was delighted.

I think some dogs are much more allergy-causing than others. Poodles and Bichons have a low allergy factor. High-shedding dogs = high allergic reactions, usually.

luvjazz - I would take the dog you are thinking of adopting to a good groomer. Tell the groomer what the problem is, and pick up the dog afterwards and see if you still have the same reaction. I believe there may even be shampoos for dogs that reduce allergic reactions. If you were ready to adopt the dog, than you were certainly serious about this pet, so I don't think this would be too much of an expense if it means you might get him/her?

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '12

I have two dogs - one I *think* might be mixed with beagle. Either way, she gives one of my relatives hives whereas my other dog does not. It isn't necessarily a lack of bathing that caused your hives.

My Doctor said i should not bring the beagle home with me.He said that it can be that the dog needs a good bath but it can also be from a reaction to the dogs dander, i also had a headache.I can't bring the dog home on a trial bases either.
Thanks everyone.

luvjazz luvjazz
Apr '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.