ShopRite free holiday meals

ShopRite free holiday meals

does anybody else take the trip to shop at ShopRite...to get the Holiday promotion...spend $300.00..and they let you get a free Ham...or
Turkey...and they offer other items also...wal-mart and Weis or Target... dont offer anything like this promotion...it works for me

oldman oldman
Apr '12

It isn't hard to spend $300 these days. I'll probably get the turkey breast.

I earned my free turkey and helped my parents out a little too, since they're away this weekend.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '12

Works for me too, am getting the ham..

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Apr '12

and if you qualify and don't need the free item...donate it to a food bank. I think it's great.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '12

I was surprised they let me use the credit towards a 3 lb Freirich boneless ham. It was on sale from $14.99 to $10.99, and then they gave me $5.04 credit towards the ham. Now that was an unexpected bargain!

Bessie Bessie
Apr '12

YES! I am getting my free ham this week.

Christine Christine
Apr '12

I take advantage of that promo every time they have it. Why not, I spend that much in less than two weeks. I took the turkey breast. I was going to save it for Easter but made it for dinner the other night. I'll make lasagna for Easter dinner instead.

jaemae jaemae
Apr '12

Jaemae, my ham is already gone too!

Bessie Bessie
Apr '12

Got my Ham last week. It was over their 12lb limit but the portion that was over the limit still rang up free.

I always get a turkey at Thanksgiving and a ham for Easter. Yummy!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Apr '12

Yes, I get the ham every year.

I still have the turkey breast I got at Christmas in my freezer. Guess I will donate what I get this time.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

The giant and Martins grocery store chain does even more then shop rite. They do not put a limit. You receive free items for every 300 spent in the time period for each holiday. We shopped there while living in Maryland. We normally got 3 free turkeys and had the butcher in store cut them in quarters to freeze. I believe shop rite once did this as well then put the one item limit a few years ago.

I ususally get the veggie lasagna which works for several meals-I portion it up and freeze single servings after the initial cooking of it. I asked my husband which he wanted this year. He opted for the ham. Man, we will be eating that forever. Not sure if we're having company or what our plans are. I have to have surgery to fix my face tomorrow from it hitting a rock 2 weeks ago.
Yes, they give you a reduced price on some other items if you don't want the "free' item.

blackcat blackcat
Apr '12

Shop Rite use to do it that way, years ago. There was no limit. Still a great deal to get 1.

Anyone who qualifies for the promotion and doesn't plan to use it for themselves, donating it is a great alternative. Sts. Peter and Paul church has 23 families that they supply holiday dinners to. As of yesterday they only had enough food for 8 families. I gave them my ham, plus I bought another one and donated that one too. I am fortunate to have a place to go for the holiday and have a delicious meal. The thought of families not having enough to eat saddens me. I wish I could do more.

Tanya Tanya
Apr '12

Sometimes I manage to spend enough, sometimes I don't. I wish they would just give gift certificates like they have done at other times. That way you can still get the turkey or ham if you want it, but there's much more choices. Still, it's a good deal everyone that already shops there and qualifies should make use of - even if to donate it.

Now if Weis only had one of their gas stations in the area. On top of any other promotions, you'd get gas points all the time like you do in PA.

Can you tell me exactly where..address... (and when) you can donate your free food? Thanks. And...what other items do they need?

new to area new to area
Apr '12

Re: ShopRite free holiday meals

the ShopRite free turkey or Thanksgiving holiday meal promotion starts in two weeks, I look forward to my family getting the turkey. try getting this from sprawl mart or weis. or A&P...and stop&shop has not offered this either.

Hobo, the A&P has been running a promotion since 9/7. For every $300 points earned, you get a 5% coupon (up to 50% off an order). You earn points up until Dec 20 and you can spend the coupons up until Dec 31. I'd rather have the 5% coupons where I can choose what order to spend them on (I have two, so I'll use my 10% off next week). You could choose to spend it on your Thanksgiving order and your turkey (along with other stuff) would essentially be free).

Nancy Nancy
Sep '12

Hobo, Weis offers this too --- although with their own requirements.
I personally don't care for Weis although I was there this week for the first time in quite a while for some specials and was surprised to see the remodeling.
Still, it's not my choice of stores.
As far as the holiday free meal, they do not offer the Tofurky or the Stoffers Lasagne that Shoprite does.

happy girl
Sep '12

hobo - Are you guaranteed a turkey because you're an employee??

At Weis you can get not only a free turkey but an additional $12 in gas at the same time. Try getting that from Shoprite.

How do you get the free gas?

Bessie Bessie
Sep '12

You get free gas by buying $50 or more. It's in a single day, so usually it's at one order but if you do two orders in a single day it also counts. If you buy $100 it's .20 off instead of .10 off for $50, .30 for $150 and so on. If you buy $50 two times, it's .10 x 2, three times it's x 3, etc. etc. You need to present your Weis/Mr Z's card when you buy, and at the gas station when you redeem. The double points is only a specific time, and there are things like cigarettes that don't count. Details are on the weismarkets.com website.

Donating is great. Call the food pantry in town on Main.. I believe it is in the Presb. Church.

exuberant! exuberant!
Sep '12

The largest food pantry is Trinity Methodist. For more info, I'm sure Bessie will inform anyone that needs to know.

GC...I get a free turkey just like every other ShopRite customer who spends $300.00. By the way, ShopRite is currently rolling out its own gasoline discount program. ShopRite has three gas stations in New York state that they own. They do offer a discount program with these stations. There is no time table for when or if this program will be made available in NJ.

hobo - OK. I didn't know whether they treat employees like you different or not. If the new Shoprite program was the reason for questioning Stop & Shop you might have disclosed that...

Weis is having a promo if you spend $400 you get a turkey or ham. They also have a promo that for every dollar you get a point. After so many points you can get free cookware (decent cookware too). It runs from September until December.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Sep '12

Hobo = Shoprites are independently owned so it might not happen with Shoprite gas

Just Asking Just Asking
Sep '12

Thanks for the info on Weis, GC, and I like how the remodeling has come out.

The "free" cookware offered by Weis is known as a gimmick/ traffic builder in the supermarket industry.Much like certain supermarkets used to offer S&H green stamps and "free" Encyclopedias, way back when. These programs are built into the cost of store operations. So you as a customer are indirectly paying for the gifts and premiums you are earning. The same can be said for gasoline programs, there is no free lunch. ShopRite supermarkets operate as a group underneath the auspices of Wakefern Food Corporation. ShopRite store owners are independent store operators, but they must follow all the policies of Wakefern Food corporation.

The same goes for Shoprite regarding what was said above, and for every promotion that stores do. The prices of groceries at Weis are very competitive with Shoprite ayway, and this is coming from a customer, not an employee like what was written above . . . which would naturally have some bias built in.

hobo ---- Yes, people pay for the "gifts" the stores "give". But some pay more than others .... and some barely at all. Those who buy indiscriminately are the ones who enable these offers. Those who shop sales as exclusively as possible get the deals.

Rich --- yes, Weis has some very good prices on things. I just bought Celentano Eggplant Parmegian on sale for $2.50. Check out Shoprites price !! ( $1 more EVEN when on sale ..... and even higher when full price)
So I bought 6 and saved around $10 not buying them at Shoprite.

Most things are overpriced at supermarkets.
I wonder what would happen to the prices if everyone only bought the sale items for a week or two ?!!!

happy girl
Oct '12

the ShopRite 2012 free holiday meal program begins October 14,2012.Not going to dignify the comments posted by "Rich" and "happy girl". "ayway" I have no need to buy 6 frozen Celentano Eggplant "Parmegian" [Parmigiana] at one time. Its better home made. No bias here.

Here's a cool article about a family who uses the gasoline discount that various supermarkets offer, to their advantage:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_162-41541908/get-free-gas--at-the-supermarket/

The minimum required spending at Shop Rite this year is also $400.

Lady1512 Lady1512
Oct '12

Yeah - at least I got my 'free' pot and a turkey --- oh and the Dutch Oven is going to be used as a Christmas Gift - at least I'm able to take advantage of the offer!

trekster3 trekster3
Oct '12

Very disappointed to see that Shoprite has raised their "free" turkey promotion to $400. For my husband and I, who don't spend that much per week on groceries, it's not worth going out of our way to earn the "free" turkey when we end up buying frivolous things that we don't need. It was hard enough for us to earn it with the $300 limit. At least Weis gave us a few extra weeks.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '12

trekster,
Is it just a Dutch Oven available or are there other choices ...... and how many points are needed?

happy girl
Oct '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.