Help! My cat has DIABETES!

Hi everyone - I am calling out to local friends who might be able to share some info. I took my cat PEPPER to the vet yesterday for his annual.... he has Diabetes...we caught it early as it was set at 375. I bought his meds at SAM'S CLUB for around $140 but know that it is going to be very costly. I have been in a situation for the past year without a steady job but aiming to do what everyone else is to get by. Do you know where I can get INSULIN for under $100. How hard is it to give the cat shots? I am due to give him another shot by 4:30 as he needs it twice daily. This will become a routine. I am determined to save him and will do what I can. P.S. I am also looking for an inexpensive "grain" cat food! HELP APPRECIATED! p.p.s. I never thought that this would be me... posting to ask about a sick cat! =( Extremely sad!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

I'm afraid I can't help with a cheap insulin source, but I can tell you that getting the hang of giving shots is very, very easy. Your vet should show you how. Is your prescription for human insulin or for vet-specific insulin (ProZinc)? I don't know which one is cheaper.

DaveJ DaveJ
Mar '12

I get my dog's pain meds at Walgreens; they mailed me a card for him, he is on a plan, I thought they were kidding at first! Saved me at least 30%...please check them out. And good luck! Try joining a "yahoo groups" for cats with diabetes. People are so helpful on these lists.

Pet Meds seems to be a bit cheaper. ProZinc is $130, Humulin is $80 so the human is definitely quite a bit less. They also have a different brand that seems to be like ProZinc but only $50. If that applies, it's not where you're getting it but what brand.

As for giving it - it may seem overwhelming now, but you'll get used to it and it'll be no big deal a week from now. Relax, the cat will be fine.

Our cat had diabetes for several years and yes the insulin can get expensive if you go to the wrong places. I'll ask my mom because we seemed to get a fair price on the insulin. Having a cat for the long haul will be expensive with diabetes that I can say with vet bills and medicine, but I was glad for every day I had w/her. (she had other medical issues)

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Mar '12

I want to wait til Monday is sad is that is... I have the shots and the meds but I want to really see how to work the needle. I saw how it was done when at the vet but was overwhelmed. is it horrible that I am putting it off to be safe? I bought new GRAIN FREE food and he ate it like he eats everything else... doing his cat thing, I just need to make sure my other cat eats. I hate to stress my cats out or am I over thinking things? I want to do right for both cats! :(

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Felinediabetes/

Here's a link Peppercat, you usually just have to ask to join and you're in.

Check out youtube. Here's one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHrUu8DXlYk

Oh and btw, if you don't want to wait until Monday to go to your own vet, why not take her to Newton Animal hospital, I'm sure for a small fee(maybe not) they would show you how to administer the shots. I don't blame you for being squeamish, my dog is going through a series aof adequan injections for arthritis, and the vet told me he'd show me how to do it but I'm not so sure!

PS: Newton is open 24/7!

You can make homemade grain free food too. May be cheaper

http://www.healthyrecipesforpets.com/cat_food_recipes.html

Nosila Nosila
Mar '12

Pepper the needle is SOOO easy to administer. I did it twice a day to my cat. I gave her a few healthy kitty snacks to distract her and then I grabbed the back of her scruff (below her head) and pinched it and then just put the needle in a little bit. I swear they do not feel a thing because in the wild that would have been where their mother would hold them by her mouth when carrying them around. Trust me I was very nervous about doing this the first few times, but after 3-4 times you will become very comfortable doing it.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Mar '12

I am not afraid of inserting the needle lol I just want to make sure my cat gets the right amount and at the right time. The shot was given at 4:45ish on Friday by my vet and she said it would buy me sometime for today.... I ran around and got all my food and meds $300 worth.... cat loves the food of course, it likes any freakin' food.... now I just want to make sure I get the amount right...1 unit it said.... I do not want to kill my cat with too much! hahaha..... cat is still happy and running around... both are playing... I wonder if I should have gotten a second opinion. Flanders Animal Center is pretty good, everyone knows them.... 375 is getting high for Diabetes or almost there... I have no clue I was too overwhelmed at the time.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Hmm . . .did your cat have any symptoms? I'm worried my cat may have diabetes. He's eating and drinking A LOT more than he used to - and peeing a lot. (Not urinary tract infection, though - we've experienced that.) But taking him to the vet is a last resort - he freaks out when he travels and becomes dangerous to handle.

mefoley4literacy mefoley4literacy
Mar '12

mefoley4literacy - Go to the vet, get a blood tester and take it home with you.

mefoley-
Mom's cat was just diagnosed with kidney disease. Drinking a lot and peeing a lot are symptoms, not sure about eating a lot, but this cat has always been big and loves all kinds of food. I know it stinks when you have a cat that freaks out, but if you've noticed a big change in habits, it's best to get it checked out. The cat we had when I was a kid was horrible, the vet would take her in the back and muzzle her whenever we brought her in.

Good luck to you, and Pepper Cat too, best wishes for your kitties.

Lynnada Lynnada
Mar '12

Mine is eating fine, but for almost the past year I noticed he LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS his water and just recently the past 3 to 4 months I noticed more urine.... He's a pi$$er! At this point, I am freaked out... 1. because I cannot afford it. 2. because my cats are fighting and 3. I want to do what is best and make sure both have my attention.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

MY cat was diagnosed when she became extremely lethargic and started peeing blood everywhere..rushed her to the vet..omg it was traumatizing!!! Pepper- it is easy with the syringes to give the right amount and just try to make sure to give the medicine as close to the correct time as you can. My cat needed it every 12 hours. So based on schedules, we gave our cat 11 am and 11pm and it worked out fine. If there was ever a conflict, our doctor told us that we would be fine for an hour or so, but not to push it more than that. But yes, you do have to be sure that your cat gets the right amount, however trust me if they dont you will know!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Mar '12

Pepper cat good luck I wish i knew more or a place to get the things you need for less again good luck

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Mar '12

:) Thanks everyone luckily I am set for the next few months.... so far even without shots for today ( only due to the fact that I want to do the shots right! ) my cat is still happy... no free feeding last night or today, new food both wet and dry in very small amounts for both cats and they are the same cats as they were before... I feel a little bit better... I just need to get a handle on the needle thing and keep spoiling them as I do!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Pepper cat......email me at luct26@verizon.net

Pepper, sorry to hear cat has diabetes. But like other posters, I can also say that within no time, the administration of the meds and correct dosage will be a piece of cake. My parents' cat lived for years with diabetes and the twice daily shots, and have given them to her many times. She got to a point where she would actually go the spot where we did the shots at the scheduled times by herself, and meow until we gave her the shot. Good luck!!

Clawdia Clawdia
Mar '12

Smokey Pants M.D. started showing kidney problems we switched her to the solid gold grain free food she loves it

shoebie shoebie
Mar '12

Pepper Cat,
Make sure you have the right needles. Reading the graduation markings on some brands can be difficult. You should be using a .3ml 29G1/2 insulin syringe. The units are clearly marked. Just an aside, her quality of life is directly correlated to her level of care. I was devastated when my dog was diagnosed diabetic, but proper diet and administration of insulin has returned her to her old self. BTW, Panther Valley Pharmacy sells the Humulin N U-100 1000 unit bottle for $70.

Michael J

Michael J
Mar '12

One more note, not all brands of syringes are the same. The brand I was getting from the pharmacy was inferior to the one's I get from the Vet. They had residue on the needle and other issues. My Vet sells EXELint Comfort Point syringes. They are the same price but much better quality.

Regarding signs of diabetes in most animals, if left untreated it will usually result in weight loss, disorientation, and throwing up water, caused by diabetic ketoacidosis. The body consumes body fat for nutrition, flooding the blood with ketones resulting in nausea, disorientation, and lack of appetite. The cycle continues until diagnosed and treated.

Michael J
Mar '12

I haven't had a pet with diabetes, but from what Michael J says it's just like people. He reminded me another quick sign that your pet needs testing right away is smelling the breath. If they smell somewhere between nail polish remover and an appletini, that's the ketoacidosis.

felinediabetes.com has alot of links on their homepage and a forum you can join. they also used to offer free kits with a glucometer and a rice sock to warm the ear to new members in need. The diagnosis is completely overwhelming at first and the initial expense is usually more than the maintenance.

know the symptoms of hypoglycemia and what to do to treat it.

hometesting. for me, this was the single biggest money saver. I used a human glucometer as many diabetic cat owners do.

dry food (even grain free) is higher in carbs than low carb/grain free canned. The best results in my own cat were when I cut all dry food out of his diet. He ate Fancy Feast classic flavors (wheat gluten free) which are lower carb mixed with Purina DM canned from the vet. Carb count is important because you can have a grain free food that has say, carrots and cranberries in it. This would increase the carbs in the food which is what you want to avoid with diabetes. NO pounce, temptations etc treats... they are loaded with junk that is no good for diabetic cats.

If you happen to be using Lantus insulin, the 5 pack cartridge vials are more expensive upfront but last longer than buying a new single vial that loses effectiveness before you can use up the insulin

YvonneMT YvonneMT
Mar '12

I bought the insulin at Sam's Club this weekend $123, have not opened it yet. I am uncertain he needs it quite honestly. I started a new schedule with new food of BLUE WELLNESS wet and dry... he gets 1 handful of dry and 1 tbspn of wet. He seems to be happy fed in the morning and at night even without free feeding. Both cats are now on the same diet plan. I would rather be safe than sorry. I want to try the holistic approach of just changing his diet first. He is 15 lbs and I am pretty sure he can be monitored with watching him closely. Any thoughts on this without insulin?

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

THE BOTTLE IS INSULIN FOR 100 UNITS. 1 UNIT 2X DAILY. I am just not sure of pricking my cat with a needle. Did I delay? Can I start fresh Monday...the vet gave him a dose on Friday to start. She said to try it for a few weeks to see if his numbers go down. Every week I am supposed to bring him to the vet for an extra 20 something dollars? I can't afford that!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Pepper Cat - You said "375 is getting high for Diabetes or almost there". I looked up cat numbers and they are similar to humans just that cats are a bit more forgiving in what they can deal with. About 120 is considered fairly normal and 100-160 would be OK. Over 200 is not just past the "almost there" stage, it's fairly conclusive but might be controlled with diet. Something near to 400 is in the hospital even for already diagnosed human diabetics. If your cat has 375 then they are well beyond a conclusive level and it's well over a diagnosis of diabetes.

My brother is Type I diabetic and had to be rushed to the hospital after passing out with 380. It might not be permanent, but there isn't a single question about a level of 375 requiring a shot of insulin to keep them alive.

Yes, you can try to monitor their levels and see if the diet controls the sugar level. However, something over 200 is going to require insulin.

Pepper Cat....I put my dog down a year ago. The reason I was asking you to email me was I have insulin I want to get rid of. You can have them if you want.

If you were feeding a high carb/high grain based food diet prior to the diet switch, I would hold off on the injections since you have already skipped doses anyway until you talk to your vet about your apprehension of giving the insulin. This will also allow a bit of time for the cat's body to adjust to the diet.

Chances are you will need to give insulin even with the diet change, 375 is a significant number. The difference is a cat on a low carb/low grain diet will need less insulin and should be easier to regulate than a cat eating grains/carbs. Also, it is possible for cats to get to a point where they do not need insulin but this is most likely to happen with cats that eat the right food and are on a good regulation with insulin.

Blue Wellness... is that Blue Wilderness?

YvonneMT YvonneMT
Mar '12

Wilderness yes sorry... I will aim to give him the shots tomorrow before 11am and try a schedule... this is going to be very hard for me because I can't even remember to take my own pills :(
(using another computer. )

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

I would agree with switching to WET food only (low carb). Some cats on the felinediabetes.com have gone into remission with just the food switch.

I had a diabetic cat that passed on about 3 1/2 years ago, and the information from that forum was far better than any info from the many vets we saw. Things could have changed since then, but you should be testing him before you give him shots. It's very dangerous to give a shot without knowing their glucose numbers.

My cat was diagnosed at 13 yrs old after having a urinary tract infection (unusual for males), and I treated him for 2 1/2 years after that. He refused wet food, so I gave him homecooked chicken with vitamins. He required less insulin because of that, but the infections never resolved, so remission didn't happen. It was very stressful, but I would have done anything to help him. The testing and shots became easier after we got on a schedule.

I don't know what insulin is common today, but we used Vetsulin unsuccessfully, then switched to Lantus and had better control. I think the cheapest price we could find was at Costco, so Sam's is probably comparable.
Good luck, and I hope he feels better soon.

Anon. Anon.
Mar '12

Thanks to Mt. Olive Animal Hospital I was able to practice giving a shot to one of their cats early this morning. I feel okay about it and came home by 8:45 to give Pepper his meds. I have a friend stopping by tonight to make sure I am doing everything correctly. It wasn't so bad but I now need to make this routine and remember twice daily. This is worse than having to remember birth control or so I hear lol

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

for anyone with any other information regarding how to handle DIABETES please feel free to contact me at kellycares@hotmail.com
The other e-mail linked to my screen name no longer works. I need to change things up for this forum.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Im going to check the price of insulin. Ive had 2 cats with diabetes. One I could never get his sugar to calm down. the other he is doing great. But the insulin helps greatly. And can food is the best. I was paying alot. Now it was cheaper. I will post again. Also have Karo syrup around it works fast on cats that the insulin that control is hard to change. A cat like that will let you know by hiding and meowing.. HE got better. You can do it. Hang in there

riverat riverat
Mar '12

If you can make the shots part of your daily routine in some way, it will help you to remember. For example, before or after you brush your teeth, the cat gets his/her shot. You can put a post-it note somewhere you will see it as a reminder or put it on your calendar in your cell phone and have an alarm go off.

Supposedly after 3 weeks of doing something, it becomes a habit.

Lynnada Lynnada
Mar '12

Humilin is what he uses. about 70.00

riverat riverat
Mar '12

Again this is day 3.... Diagnosed on Friday by the dr. who said 375 is high... he has never reacted but I saw signs of water consumption and excessive amounts of urine. He also had a stench to his breath. Cat is fine and happy just as he was weeks ago... the only time he complains is when the younger cat harasses him and tries to dominate him before bedtime. Other than that... HAPPY FAT CAT!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

The biggest problem is having control over the cat while you give him the shot. Some cats learn right away and run when they see you coming. Maybe confining him to a small bathroom and give him a treat after the shot...I'm sure you will do fine. Good Luck!

Basha Basha
Mar '12

My cat is semi dumb... he was fine this morning even if I give it to him with food in front of him... I had no problem. I am lucky with this so far ::: knocks on wood:::: my other cat would be the issue. Pepper did not notice a thing!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

I had a kitty that was diabetic. Gave the insulin daily. Just grabbed a tuft behind his head and inserted the needle. He never seemed to be affected by it at all. I got my insulin from the vet and the needles from my pharmacy. I don't recall it being that expensive. But his numbers eventually went down and I didn't have to give him the insulin any more. He was probably on the insulin for maybe 5 years?? He had a digestive problem most of his life, so he was already on perscription food. He lived to be almost 19 years old!

PetLover
Mar '12

Re: Help!  My cat has DIABETES!

Aww thanks for sharing.... I am sure my kittie will be just fine he is happy at home....enjoying the weather! In this picture is Pepper ( the fat cat ) Hollow with the tux.
Thanks everyone for chiming in and helping me out :)

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Has anyone ever thought about switching their diabetic animals to a primal diet? Yes everyone always feels drugs are the answer because they work but sometimes diet and exercise is all the doctor should order. Do some research on diabetic animals going off insulin once they were fed a primal diet. You'll be amazed....

FitnessCoach FitnessCoach
Mar '12

mefoley it may be hyperthyroidism . my senior cat was diagnosed with it years ago...the appetite increase combined with the increased urinating makes me think perhaps that's it.

JessM. JessM.
Mar '12

If the insulin works and drops the numbers after a few weeks, I am just keeping him on his diet... He doesn't mind his new food. Both cats love it! I do not plan to spend over $100 a month on drugs unless I really do need it.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Does the vet agree with this decision?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Mar '12

Pepper seems to be doing well as of 2 weeks. I notice his breath smelling which probably needs to be checked out... I was looking at PET INSURANCE VPI.... does anyone have this??? I cancelled all my home or "fun activity" to help with costs... I will be saving $70 per month so I woul'd like to find an insurance that works great for cat vet bill.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

I've never had pet insurance. You should check to see if this is considered a pre-existing condition and make sure the insurance will cover it.

Lynnada Lynnada
Mar '12

Pet insurances typically won't cover preexisting conditions, unfortunately. If his breath smells, that can be a sign of his sugar levels being off. I'd bring that up with the vet right away.

Someone
Mar '12

uggg lol well on a good note. I captured my other cat and forced him down for some claw trimming. I refuse to take him into the vet to trim nails when my other cat cost me so much!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Re: Help!  My cat has DIABETES!

My beloved Mr. Pussycat was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago. His numbers were sky-high (900+) even though we caught it early (excessive urination only a few months after his annual check up). I started him on three "units" of insulin, and after monthly blood tests and Purina DM and/or Science Diet MD got him down to about one unit a day in about three months. We 100% stopped all treats with carbs. I gave him his shots at 7am and 7pm, timed so that I had time watch his reaction before work and before bed. Twice in three years, he wailed and vomited -- a sign of too much insulin resulting in hypoglycemia -- and I quickly gave him some Karo syrup to even out his sugar (or lack thereof)-- which worked instantly. Just get some in his mouth and it's quickly absorbed by the mucus membranes.

I got the insulin from Long Valley Vet, and I remember it cost about $90 a bottle. But he was such a little guy (11-12 pounds) it lasted about three months. So we're talking $30/mo. The more expensive item is the syringes -- which you MUST use only once. I gave him shots in the skin on the "side of the belly or flank", as pointed out in the video because Mr. Pussycat was "upper-body sensitive", choosing a different site with every shot. I just made him lay down on his side. (Great video, BTW.) To learn, the vet had me give him a shot right in the office. I don't remember if it was saline solution or the real thing, but doing it with the vet was invaluable to helping me deal with it.

I also got Keto-Diastix -- plastic test strips that you pass through his urine stream while he's peeing (if he lets you do that), that shows (by color) the level of keytones and glucose. When his numbers changed enough, we would get a new blood test. Blood tests are expensive.

Both cats ate the diabetic cat food (it's basically the Atkins diet) and the other cat -- the fat cat -- trimmed down from 22 pounds to a healthy 16 pounds. No dry food. Buying the food from the vet was no more expensive than what I found on the web.

For treats, I got a mini ice cube tray and would dilute the water from a can of tuna and freeze it. Each cat got three little ice cubes in a bowl immediately after the insulin shot. They always reminded us when it was time for meds! We also got the dehydrated cod or salmon cat treats. Zero carbs and they loved it.

After about three years of insulin, Mr. Pussycat cured himself. Cats can do this.
His second incidence of hypoglycemia happened when I was only giving him a fraction of a unit (I can't remember exactly) of insulin. So I stopped the insulin (with the vet's blessing) and kept an eye on his behavior. He was fine. He lived another two or three years, diabetes-free, dying of something else unrelated.

Mr. Pussycat was the best cat ever.

Joyce Beck Joyce Beck
Mar '12

Joyce: Thanks for sharing your story about Mr. Pussycat. It made me remember my "Buddy" who was also the best cat ever. Weren't we lucky?!

I worry about my Pepper tonight. He seemed to be drinking a lot of water before 7pm insulin time. I fed him as usual.... is 3/4 cup between two cats throughout the day not enough food? I think my other cat needs to lose some belly fat too so this might help lol....3/4 cup is a pretty big cup.... I drop some early am around 4, early around 7 and they get lunch between 12 and 2... dinner right before 7... it lasts between both cats throughout the entire day. I also give them t spoon of grain free wet food. I mix up the time of days for wet food. I put these pee stick droplets in the litter box today. My vet suggested these to try for a few weeks so tonight into tomorrow is my first try. My cat just seemed agitated tonight and really out of it but really showing no signs other than BAD BREATH and hair standing up on his tail.... other than that same cat, didn't seem to care. I worry a lot. I worry I will be the one to kill my cat. I am trying so hard and while on a budget. I am just sad and very stressed out! He uh is looking quite thin and nice though ;) his sides go in like mine when I lose weight!!!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

What else can I do in between working and playing with other animals which is my job? I bought new play toys.... am I nuts for obsessing over them? I feel they are my kids and my family and the only ones that matter close to me aside from my own damn family lol I will do what I can until $hit hits the fan lol Sorry, I just really need to vent...anyone want to talk cats in person? hahahaha

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

Pepper Cat....I have 90 insulin needles I no longer need I used for my dog. If you need these to save money, you can have them. Trying to get rid of them.

I have a ton but hold them for future because I just might need them. Greatly appreciated.... my cat was weird last night had a crazy coughing moment and want ed to sleep but now he is back to normal and enjoying cold breeze... Uggg this is just the hardest thing to watch... I sure as hell know I am not having kids after this lol

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes In October, actually the day of the large snow storm. I gave him insulin shots for total of 3 months. Adjusting the units downwardly along the way until his levels were low enough to stop the insulin. I purchased a meter to test his blood at home. I test him once a week and so far he is doing very well. He has been off the insulin since January. He was 22 lbs and is now hovering around 20. He is a very tall and big framed cat but still has extra weight on him. He was pretty good taking the shots, we had the smallest needles possible and gave the shots to him between his shoulder blades. He has enough extra skin that he would hardly feel the shots. I also have him on Purina DM dry food from our vet. My vet encouraged me to get a meter to check him at home. I took the meter in when I got it and the vet showed me how to use it and to make sure the meter matched theirs. It saved me $35 a visit to get him checked. My cat is also a big water drinker. What actually clued me in that something was wrong originally was he was sleeping with his arms on either side of his water dish. He was also a little wobbly when walking that next day so in to the vet he went. It was very overwhelming at first when they load you up with all the gear but not too bad once you get the gang of it. Good luck with your kitty!!

BrandyB BrandyB
Mar '12

Thanks for the info Brandy... After the crazy escape at THE VET this past week Pepper has been on edge a bit... He is noticing even when eating food that I give him shots so sometimes I miss because he tries to warn me by biting. I am ok if he misses one just throw him some extra kibble incase his sugar is low.... He used to have a lot of scruff to pull and give him the shot lol now I am having a harder time since he is losing some weight... his sides are going in. I think by next visit he will be at least 3 lbs. lighter. I might be depriving him by not free feeding him but I sure as heck don't want him on insulin his entire life. I cannot afford that. This week he made me miss him with shots so I had to wait the next morning or time with a new shot. I am not dumb and being extra careful on this.... He seems pretty happy for the most part aside from some episodes.... I have a hopeful feeling he will overcome this and I can monitor him with just food. I have had a handful of nightmares this week thinking of awful things though :( I think I am more stressed than the cat is :)

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

"Cats develop diabetes due to a poor/species-inappropriate diet, it really is that simple to prevent diabetes. Anecdotally speaking, in almost 11 years of the list with thousands of cats having come through my cyber door, I have yet to see one cat develop diabetes on a raw diet or even a low-carb canned diet for that matter."

To see the rest of the article see the link below. My cat was showing signs of diabetes, I switched her food to Halo dry & Wellness wet and she is doing awesome with no medication. Spending more money on good food for your pet saves you money in the long run at the vet. $100 on meds a month, plus vet appts. and the stress of the constant visits...paying $40 a month on healthier food prevents all that because your cat stays healthy. Now that my cats are all on the better food I'm more relaxed about them having a future of not having to go to the vet much.

Honestly if vets were truly concerned about the well-being of people's pets they would encourage them to read the ingredients of the food that you are feeding them. And they would recommend healthy foods like Halo & Wellness. Cheap pet foods are made of mostly corn...carnivores do not eat a vegetarian diet! It's kind of interesting that vets do a lot more business when people don't feed their animal good food...so of course the greedy ones aren't going to tell you to feed good food...because then you won't be in the office every month paying off their expensive car. & the "good" food they sell in the office...check out those ingredients. Prescription foods are all corn too!!! WTF! Corn = Diabetes

www.holisticat.com/diabetes.html

person person
Mar '12

I realize some people may think I have money because I am feeding my cats good food...not true. I am quite poor at the moment. I barely have money to afford to eat healthy myself but I so strongly believe that it's what we feed our cats that can make them sick that I spend what little money I have on the good food. The pet store near me doesn't carry the food that I feed so I order it on the internet...which is an awesome timesaver too cause I was always running to the store to buy cat food. I get free delivery from Amazon on Halo dry & Wellness wet. After trying almost every brand of good dry and wet food over the years on my cats they seem to like these the best. I know that a lot of healthy foods aren't always tasty to them...but all my cats like these...and I have a lot of cats. All rescues and all fixed.

person person
Mar '12

Thanks for the advice... I now will only feed them Grain Free Foods and I think I can manage without the insulin... today his insulin was showing with a Urinary Gluclose Test of 600.... I last brought him in and his levels were down around 350, he lost 50 points when we started. This week he seems more stressed with his fur always standing up and aiming to bite me when I give his shot. Sometimes I missed his shot due to him jumping or making me jump.
I am bringing him in for one last visit to get more info but really ask... if I can manage strictly buy leaning him on ways to eat healthier cat food. I buy only BLUE WELLNESS now.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

I just picked him up when he came to snuggle with me... he does seem a lot lighter... I think that is a good thing :)

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

***UPDATE*** CALL BACK from vet and she said PURPLE 600 is great if it is less and less in color NOT GOOD. Keep doing what I am doing! ;)

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Mar '12

awesome! glad you got good results!

person person
Mar '12

Good news on my Pepper Cat - I just picked him up from the vet and his levels were low this morning at 64 which is close to a normal sitting at 100. He was always in the 300 to 400 range. The vet took a curve test and sent it out. She now wants me to drop insulin to 2/12 units twice daily instead of 3. His weight is at 14 and he started at 15 but has been up and down. When I picked him up his levels were 130 which is GOOD! The vet might think his diabetes has been cured but I will not know any further until tomorrow. HARD WORK AND A LOT OF TLC to get this kitty healthy again. :) Pray for GREAT NEWS!!!

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Jul '12

Pepper Cat that is WONDERFUL news!!! sounds like he is in good hands. will pray that the diabetes is gone for good....

azgirl69 azgirl69
Jul '12

Oh such good news ! He's a luckly little fellow to have you as his owner.

Mindy'sMom Mindy'sMom
Jul '12

Great news! Hope he goes into remission soon and stays there.

Anon. Anon.
Jul '12

Any cats with diabetes should eat fancy feast classic tender beef only. This is the best food out there for a diabetic cat. Backed up by vets, others and extensive research online, nearly 3 months later my cats diabetese is nearly gone. Low carbs and real beef, fancy feast is your best best. Always refrigerate the insulin. It will last a year VS 30 days at room temp. The bottle might advise keeping it at room temp (for warm comfort reasons when giving the shot) however they want to increase profits. My insulin bottle says such, it also has a 1 year experation if kept in the fridge. Pass this info on to anyone any forum online. It's good to spread the knowledge as per we all know taking on such a task of maintaining healthy BG levels is so vital to our cats. Remember, your cat can go into remission (rid of diabetes) with the right diet and proper insulin dosages. If testing the BG levels, do it twice per test, just a little movement or stress cats endure can spike the BG levels and in turn you will wind up giving way to much insulin. Prick the cats ear for blood, use a very small price of thin cardboard on the other side of the ear as a backing when doing so. any further question, feel free to email me at jrweb76@aol.com.

Justin Justin
Aug '12

Justin, any low glycemic food is good for them. That's just one of the many.

Someone
Aug '12

Fancy feast is garbage. I wouldn't serve it to my dog (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '12

In a nutshell.... Pepper is doing great. His level was checked at 86 non diabetic last week at the vet. My dr wants him to be on a wet food diet only. She strongly urges patte meal form fed 2 to 3 times a day. So far so good. NO DRY FOOD. I am leaning away from a lot of product that will have him gain weight.... my cats might always want food but so do I and that I know makes me gain weight ;) They also get less treats. Those treats are no good and make them throw up.
I have a lot to do with these boys and only have 8 months left until I move and might not have them for long.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Aug '12

I do not have the funds for much more as his diabetes has taken a lot out of me. I have done what I can to make him happy and healthy. I now need to focus more on his diet so he can be healthy and happy for a new home as I am moving to Portland and not sure if they are coming.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
Aug '12

(biting tongue)...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '12

Our cat was diagnosed with diabetities today. Been sick for 3 days. Vomiting and won't eat nothing. Tried canned cat food and baby food. Needs shot but am advised not to give until he eats. What do I do? Please help

mikey mikey
Aug '12

Fancy feast is the only wet cat food my cat will eat. I have tried everything else and she lets me know she does not like it. I give her that and dry food and she is happy. So far ..no problems.

joyful joyful
Aug '12

My cats been a diabetic for almost 11 years She's been insulin-dependent twice a day shots on PZI I'm now using Prozinc. She's going to be 17 in May. So long as you feed them low carb food like wellness pate, Fancy Feast pate, friskies pâtés, the pates foods are better because they have less carbs. Try to avoid foods with gravy Also if your feed your cat high calorie carbs and dry food You really should switch to Can food only but I know I had one kitty that was hard to switch so then I would suggest switching to EVO is only 10 g of carbs. Some of those can and dry foods can run as high as 30 g of carbs so you can see the huge difference it will make in your kitty blood sugar levels. Plus want to try to learn how to home test you can get a free meter if you buy some strips, Just Google it, Free glucose meter. So you want to make sure you feed your cat 10 g of carbs or less to maintain actually you may be able to diet control your kitty if you haven't already tried before Starting the shots what is the pre-shot glucose number? Join the Facebook forum feline diabetes. They will be able to guide you. Best of luck I was where you were 11 years ago it is scary but you can do it.

Renee Renee
Mar '14

That's good to know Renee. I'm fortunate that my 8 month old cat prefers the Fancy Feast pate and souffle food, mostly chicken, turkey, egg, cheese and veges. He doesn't like the minced, sliced and gravy assortments.

17 years old! That's fantastic! Keep up the good work. :)

positive positive
Mar '14

My two cents regarding my cat, Sammy:

1. He started exhibiting symptoms of nerve damage (diabetic neuropathy) in his rear legs (starting to walk on hocks, twisting of paws/legs when walking). Crushing and mixing two pills each with 2,500 mcg of the vitamin methylcobalamin (methyl B12) in his Fancy Feast worked wonders within a month. No more symptoms at this dose; lower dosage wasn't working with Sammy. (The B12 found in most multivitamin supplements is cyanocobalamin.) Read about methyl B12 and feline diabetic neuropathy at this link:
http://www.vetinfo.com/treating-feline-diabetic-neuropathy-methylcobalamin.html

2. Certain types of Fancy Feast cat food are recommended because they're lower carb and gluten free. Visit this link to see which they are:
http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

Insulin isn't necessary at this time.

Bill W. Bill W.
Mar '14

I find that the flex pen insulin is better with an accurate dosage & smaller needle, also cheaper in price. At walmart for lantus is 68 bucks & the needle tips are 14 bucks opposed to 200 dollars for the bottle & all those big drawing up syringes yuk. Go my way with the pen!

tangerine tangerine
Mar '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.