Albino squirrel offspring

Albino squirrel offspring

A son??? a daughter??? Its ghost perhaps??? Taken on Thursday

That's awesome! Definitely not something you see everyday!!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '12

Is this still in Diamond Hill??? I don't know how rare these things truly are, but for 3 years now we've been sighting albino squirrels in Diamond Hill. NO WAY is this just ONE squirrel.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '12

That is so cool. I've never seen one in the wild before.

Years ago when I went into Brooklyn, I saw my first black squirrel. I got such a kick out of it, only ever seeing the grey ones.

abbadabbadooooo abbadabbadooooo
Feb '12

Yup this is in Diamond Hill on Slope Dr. I didn't get close enough to see if had the red eyes for sure but the one that died a year ago was definitely an albino so I'm sure it's offspring. I always said there had to be more than one because we would spot one on slope and then another would be spotted all the way on Hazen and I don't think they roam that far from their nests.

I also remember seeing a family of black ones by the convention center in Edison years ago. Pretty amazing

There are black squirrels in Kenwood village development. Must be breeding with the gray ones as we have also seen a gray one with a black tail this winter.

Ingrid Ingrid
Feb '12

Ok so today i saw it from about 15 feet away and saw the red eyes so definitely another albino. Before I could get a picture it took off after a gray squirrel and chased it along the fence,through a tree and across neighbors back yard before losing sight. Pretty cool

That's awesome! Please send post more picks. I too saw my first black squirrel in the East Village NYC of all places...I thought someone lost their ferret. LOL I am still tripping out seeing a a big muddy ole snap turtle crossing over by Angen Rd...just as slow as he wanted to be! Enjoy nature friends...enjoy nature!

MotherAtabey MotherAtabey
Mar '12

saw one of these dang cracker squirrels on weds evening! right there on newburgh rd! wtf - i think its one of them there tea party thangs!

GREEN HAMMER GREEN HAMMER
Aug '13

I live on Slope and often see two albino squirrels in my yard together, usually along with a gray one. Must be a family!

clawdia clawdia
Aug '13

I know we have flying squirrels in the area.....I would love to see one but I heard that they only come out at night.

positive positive
Aug '13

We do have flying squirrels in our area. We rehabbed them when I worked at a wildlife center. They are quite nasty, personality-wise, actually! But definitely cute to see in a tree.

If anyone wants to see some black squirrels, go behind the McDonald's, in the corner of their parking lot that backs up to the forest. Someone tipped me off to them because they know I like taking pictures of wildlife, and sure enough, every time I stop in to get a coffee and spend five minutes there - they come 'round to see if I've brought them fries.

I'd love to photograph albino squirrels. Is there a place where I could photograph them by a road (so I wouldn't have to go on someone's private property)?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '13

Rebecka that's so funny....the first and only time I saw black squirrels was in the parking lot at McDonalds. I fed them french fries! Lol.

Actually now that I think about it, I might have some pics on my husband's cell.

positive positive
Aug '13

I've seen one of the albino squirrels in my yard the last 2 days. Family must be alive and well!

We call him "whitey" LOL

We have to be careful, or our greyhound will call him "new squeaky toy"

Dec '13

Newburg road has them running around some early mornings.

Crazy
Dec '13

Re: Albino squirrel offspring

Hard to get close to this little guy. But in the distance is the white squirrel from Slope Drive. This was taken a few months ago.

DiaHill Res2 DiaHill Res2
Dec '13

Here's the white squirrel I've mentioned on posts for Diamond Hill. He's in the tree eating a peanut. I feed him/her in the morning before I go to work.

denise denise
Dec '13

Here is a close up of the Slope Drive squirrel.

PeaceOnEarth
Dec '13

Great pictures of the white squirrel...

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '13

I was in Diamond Hill the other night and saw one of these squirrels. I had never seen one in person before, just in pictures here. Cute little bugger!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Calico, we have TWO this year... I know they are 2 different ones, because one has a damaged tail... we see them here every year, but this is the first time I am able to verify 2 different albinos.

Sep '14

I love seeing these guys in our neighborhood! :)

If a black cat crossing your path is supposed to bring bad luck, I think a white squirrel should bring good luck!

somechik somechik
Sep '14

This guy is always hanging out on the corner of Highland and Elmwood. I see him everyday! :-)

EG1982 EG1982
Sep '14

EG - That's exactly were I saw it! Highland and Elmwood. Glad to see they are still in the area.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

There was a family of white squirrels, mom and two babies, on my block on Slope for about two seasons. They seemed to have migrated from Highland. They gradually moved away and I haven't seen them since spring. Glad they are still in the area!

Denise Denise
Sep '14

Dear residents of Diamond Hill,
If you see a black Rav-4 with for sale signs on it driving slowly by your house, maybe stopped outside, it's just me. I am not stalking you. I am stalking the darn albino squirrels. I've been trying to get a cracking shot of one of these little buggers for well over two years. Nothing. It's like I have my own personal Moby Dick.

Thank you for your understanding.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Rebecka, cruise Hillside and Highland. That's where I always see them. There's at least one of them in my backyard every day.

Sep '14

Does albino squirrel taste any different then regular squirrel? Thinking of making me some squirrel pot pie.

sack
Sep '14

We have one who lives out by me in Blairstown. I have a few pictures from last year that came out pretty well.

red76nj red76nj
Sep '14

One more picture!

red76nj red76nj
Sep '14

Nice, red! I'm so envious.

That's where I cruise around, JR. I've seen one, but he's always been too far away, in the shade, and fleeting for me to get a picture.

Today I went to the corner mentioned above, and there was HMUA work being done! So no squirrel hanging out at his usual stomping grounds. Maybe tomorrow.

- Ahab

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

A DH resident reported on Facebook today the death of one of the albinos... hit by a car apparently. I know there were at least 2, so now there's still at least 1, I saw him/her just an hour or two ago...

Sep '14

RIP little squirrel buddy. :-(

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

We have red squirrels in NJ too. I shot one in the late 90's.

metsman metsman
Sep '14

That's too bad about the little guy. I hope there are a couple still running around.

Denise Denise
Sep '14

The albino squirrel made this list of 31 rare animals.

http://petsfans.com/31-rare-animals-might-even-know-exist/

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

Haven't seen one in Diamond Hill for a long time now... :(

Mar '15

No, haven't seen any white squirrel around DH for some time. The one who stayed in my back yard had offspring with white tipped ears and tail, but none all white. I miss those little guys!

denise denise
Mar '15

Haven't seen the one on Newburgh Road since last spring. Used to see him (or her) on the front lawn of TDI Power quite regularly.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Mar '15

Just saw an albino squirrel in upper Diamond Hill!! The albino family continues!!! We haven't seen one in a couple of years!

Sep '15

Thanks for the report @JR. I'd love to see one of these little guys.

SO glad they're still kicking! I was just saying the other day we haven't seen him in a while.

somechik somechik
Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.