Who was your favorite HHS teacher?

My favorite teacher was Mr. Noble, i had him sophomore and junior year for history followed by sociology senior year. One of the only classes i never had trouble paying attention in, he always made class fun.

So who was your HHS favorite teacher??? (plz keep this about your FAVORITE teacher...no need to get into talking about your least favorite)

jrze pride
Feb '12

This is a tough one. I would have to say that Mrs. Grajewski, my Home Ec Teacher, is up there, as is Mr Rodgers' calculus class. Mrs Morgan for humanities, American Lit, and Journalism is a good choice too. And who could forget gym class with Mr. Hart or Mr. Thomas?

This question is impossible.

I had Mr. Noble in 7th and 8th grade at Liberty. I liked all my HHS teachers. Guess my favorite was Mr. Grant for Chemistry.

I liked all of my teachers at HHS, but I'll have to say my favorite was Nicholas Witte, with Mr. McInerney coming in second.

Dave Blazier...

acl76
Feb '12

Mrs. Grajewski (called her Mrs.G) and Mr. Vellucci may he R.I.P :(

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Feb '12

Re: Who was your favorite HHS teacher?

Maynard Sandol...who taught me and my class about art...and has pursued his career as an artist...and he has earned respect for his paintings...

oldman oldman
Feb '12

Well I did not go to Hackettstown High school be cause I was in the part of Liberty township that went to Belvidere High school . up untill 78 the township was split in two the next house up the road went to hackettsown so we were on the line so to say
But for me at BHS it was Harry Schnieber, FFA teacher

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Feb '12

Mrs. Stecker, Mr. Witte, Mr. Grant, Mrs. Baldowski and Mrs. Appel....I actually really liked all my teachers. Mr, Witte is still in the area and not well.

I didnt have Mr. Noble as a teacher but hubby is good friends with him now. We are very fond of him.

Christine Christine
Feb '12

Mr. May
Mrs. Baldowski
Mr. Billy Pool
Maynard

Tidy
Feb '12

I had all those teachers but Mrs. Baldowski however i did a job at her house. lets just say she is one of the nicest people around. she bought us lunch every day from poor boys.

jd4020 jd4020
Feb '12

Mr May was cool...he had performed on Broadway in New York..

oldman oldman
Feb '12

I went to Warren Hills, not Hackettstown, but my favorite teacher was Mrs. Hetrick.

I ended up in her class every year of HS (three years of English and one year of Psychology). The first year, I thought she was terrible, but it turned out she just had very high expectations and made me work harder than the other teachers. I do believe she is Assistant Principal now and hope she is doing well!

Happy Homemaker Happy Homemaker
Feb '12

Mr. May, Mr. Aiello, Mrs Ouelette, Mr Grundyke, Mr Bowes....and I am too old to remember the rest. I dont think I had a teacher I DIDNT like.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Feb '12

Oh boy I had a few, Maynard Sandol, (Yesterday was his birthday by the way). The twins Becky and Sally, John Dehann, Believe it or not, John Mahol, Paul Gimme, Gary Hart, Joe Gatzi and of course Pete Wulling as Vice Principal.

My kids liked : Mrs. Carpenter, Mrs. Pat Michaels, Mrs. Ouelette (who still remembers most of the names of the kids she taught) and for my son especially..It was Mr. (Sass) Applegate.

joyful joyful
Feb '12

I just saw Pat Michaels this weekend. She looked wonderful. She even remembered who I was.

I was a Warren Hills guy, but heard that my sister-in-law Olga Adams was a very popular Hackettstown Middle School teacher.

I didn't go to HHS as I lived in Beattystown. I went to Warren Hills and graduated in '75 and my favorite teacher was Mr. Musselman. He taught earth science. I even heard that he's still alive.

JL: I am still in touch with Pat as well and see her now quite often. She is still just as pretty and nice as she always was. My daughter used to date her son in school. Don't really know how it is now but back then there were some great teachers at HHS.

joyful joyful
Feb '12

Joyful-
There were many great teachers then. When did you go to HHS?

JL...you were probably in school with my kids. I will PM you to explain.

joyful joyful
Feb '12

I went to HHS from 1964-68 , My favorite was also Maynard Sandol, wonderful man.

Msramsay50 Msramsay50
Feb '12

Fenimore & Velucci

Mrs. Tickener did so much to establish a foundation for me in english/writing. Mr. Bill Pool was a great guy who teenagers could relate to and inspired us through contemporary fun reading. Mr. Naratil the track guy and librarian was a teacher that was a true friend to many. Mr. Hughes kept our bodys in shape.
Actually, almost everyone at HHS left a mark..so many good teachers and great memories.

* I can not remember our U.S. history teachers name, but she really made it interesting....

Bob R.
Feb '12

Bowes was probably my favorite. Scary how close I live to two of my favorite teachers.

Stem, Velucci, Grant were near the top but don't have a bad thing to say about any of the teachers that I had at HHS.

Bob, you are absolutely right. I dont think I had a bad experience with any of our teachers. For many of them, HHS was their first job out of college and they werent much older than us! But they were memorable and effective, for sure.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Feb '12

Nick Witte, Mrs Appel, Mr May, Mr. Noble, Pat Mac, Pat Miller. It was a great place to go school, and I really have nothing but great memories.

Shredder
Feb '12

English Mr. Collins. Bio Mrs Baldowski

suzique suzique
Feb '12

joyful,what did Mrs. Carpenter teach?

suzique suzique
Feb '12

I have to agree with so many already listed and add some others:

the late Mr. Vellucci (I had him his first year out of college)
Mr. Fenimore
Mr. Aiello
Mrs. Falong (made me glad I took four years of Latin!)
Mrs. Uhl (Tiger Times!)
Mrs. Oulette
the late Mrs. Michniewicz
Mr. Pezzutto (no one could make you remember Algebra like he could!)
the late Mrs. Stecker (I still think of her every time I make a cake)
Mrs. Smith and Miss Miller (phys. ed)
Maynard Sandol (I agree with oldman - he was a very cool gentleman!)
Mrs. Miller (bio)

HHS gets a good amount of criticism, but I loved my time there and feel that I was well prepared for college.

borninthe1960's borninthe1960's
Feb '12

Suzique. Mrs Carpenter (who recently passed away) I think taught English..not really sure ..I only know my daughter Dawn adored her and I knew her more from Trinity Church. Maybe someone else out there can remember. It was so long ago and I think I am started to get PMS...if you know what that means! (Can't remember s...it!) Also remember they liked Mrs. Uhl and were involved also with Tiger Times.

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

I must also say Mrs. Stecker. May she R.I.P. And I know this is from Middle School, but Mrs. Wolf was WONDERFUL! I heard she passed a few years ago. :'(

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Feb '12

Mr. Vellucci, Mrs. Ouellette, Mr. Pool, Mr. Buchman, and Mr. Grant!

anony
Feb '12

OMG I forgot about Mr. Pezzutto. He loved to chew on chalk.....Ms. Miller also!!

Christine Christine
Feb '12

OMG..How could I forget Mr. Don Grant. He is a family friend as well. Hope I am not in trouble...

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

Mr. Huckel was a really down to earth guy I always enjoyed his class. I think he is still at the school but in a higher up position. Mr. Pool funny guy. I had a teacher called mrs./Ms Kelly a science teacher tiny blonde lady I think from the south she had that southern voice, I had such a crush on her. Mrs. Carpenter was nice, I know her son. I didnt even know it was her son till she passed away.

Mr. Huckel is still there...ugh!

acl76
Feb '12

Bergey just reminded me about a teacher I did not get along with at all. She was never my teacher she just liked picking on me. Everytime during lunch I had to use the ladies room. It was not allowed. But I would ask the cafeteria teacher and they always said go ahead. So I asked her and she said no. There I was standing for 5 mins and really had to go so I just left and went in the ladies room. She followed me in and would not let me close the door to go. So I marched right down to the principles office and asked to see Mr. Cashill. He let me use his restroom and off to class I went. Never understood that rule at all. BUT I had a problem and had to use it and he was the only one that understood that. Everytime after that she had to snicker something about do you need the restroom young lady.

I really had some great teachers there though. I enjoyed my high school years. Even with all the teasing and name calling back then which was part of growing up. Its funny though I can read which ones above like certain teacher and guess if they were males and/or jocks. LOL! interesting.

Disclaimer* Please dont take this as an insult as it is not.

Christine Christine
Feb '12

Mrs. Birchard and Mr. Paul Grimm
Mr. Pinkman and Mr. Conrad in Hackettstown Middle School

HHS1976 HHS1976
Feb '12

Re: Who was your favorite HHS teacher?

You got me looking at my old yearbook. Here's a picture Maynard put in my yearbook when I asked him to sign it.

Mr. Velucchi was a great teacher, too. I remember they used to sing Christmas carols in the auditorium and he surprised me with how good his voice was. R.I.P - He passed away at a young age soon after I graduated.

"Senor" Rossi, exceleent spanish teacher! I graduated in 76 and to this day I can still remember being in his classes, and still remember alot of the spanish he taught.

deviljet
Feb '12

Remember Senior Rossi singing love songs in Spanish. He was fun

WOW Deviljet you graduated with my sister and brother in law.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Miss Martino...I was the worst kid in her class...but learned Spanish anyway...Maynard Sandol...awakened my eyes to Art..Mr McDonnell...Sports In English... I wrote a very good term paper about football in his class...Mr.May...in his acting classes...he brought out so much in his students...he offered me a part in the senior play...but I turned it down...I did not have the ability to be on a stage...Mrs Ouellette very nice and a great history teacher...Mr. Dehaans shop class place to be during class...and during study hall...had fun there...there are others not mentioned here...but HHS...had a good staff of teachers...by the way I got to know Mr. Naratil ...years later after HHS...nice guy...great family...

oldman oldman
Jun '12

Thank the stars that the "administrators" in the main office don't teach. If they did teach a class, it would be "How to run a Circus"

Mindyme Mindyme
Jun '12

Christine, I don't know who your sister was, I don't know your maiden name, but your brother in law Ray, was a good friend of mine!

deviljet
Jun '12

Mrs. Grajewski, Mr. Hughes, Mrs. Stecker

icicle icicle
Jun '12

LOL.......deviljet....everyone loves Ray! He will be up here in a few weeks.

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Mr. Pezzuto - The monkey always goes for the biggest banana
Mr. Bill Pool - Talked us to sleep then whacked that huge tree limb on your desk
Senor - The most retained knowledge as I can still order food, buy pants and shoes, and get on a plane in a spanish speaking land like the US. However I was once admonished for singing "Casas de Cartone", which it turns out is a communist work song that could cause trouble in some circles.
Mr. Dehaan or Mr Wulling would always let you store your shotgun or fishing pole in their office after hunting/fishing your way to school before you could drive and leave it in your car.
Mrs. Miller's advanced Bio was always educational as well as fun.
Drivers Ed with Gordy O'Hea, Mr. Hart, and Mr. Getzy(?).
Mr. McDonnell - Sports in Lit. and best coach.
Mr. Mahal - Tough but a heart of gold, plus a very official track official.
There was a new science teacher I think it was Mr. Momarie(?) who had a promising career and good wit.
Mr. Grant - who also was a lifeguard at the Sand Bar, taught me how to fly fish there as a kid. He also ran the fly tying club in HS and liked his chemistry answers in metric.
Even a school board member is worth mention, Mr. Gerry DiMaio.
Mrs. Hart in the office was always ready with a late pass.
Mr.Boker and his crew were the best even though some didn't appreciate them.
Mr. Funchion for his guidance.
Nelson Hoyt for the summer night basketball league at the Sand Bar. There would be 100 or more people there trying to get in the game or just to watch good, tough round ball played by 16-60 year olds.
Mr Lehr out-going, Mr. Cashill incoming principal's.
There were so many great teacher's back then, that it wouldn't be tough to find the bad one. Most were teaching 20-40 years before we got to them, but they loved their responsibility. They were products of the Depression and three wars, they were tough and for the most part fair. They were always professional in both dress and attitude. The teacher's parking lot had the same beat-up cars as in the students lot. They taught in black & white, not touchy-feely. They got you to do your best, that you got out of life what you put into it. Because after HHS, you were entitled to what you worked hard for and nothing else, so you'd better get going.
I will always have respect and admiration for these people and what they taught us.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jun '12

I am a teacher myself and think fondly of many of my teachers from Hackettstown. My favorites include Mr. Lynch (middle school social studies), Dr. Grant (Physical Science), Mrs. Dinges (Honors American Lit), Mrs. Miller (Honors and A.P. Biology), Mr. Cameron (art) and Maynard (Mr. Sandol, art).

Mrs. Dinges' lit class remained the most rigorous writing class that I ever took and served me well throughout college and my profession. I still have a little sketch journal with a personalized cover that Mr. Cameron gave to me. Mrs. Miller inspired my love of biology, which has endured into a teaching career. I enjoy sharing stories with my students about these great teachers, so their lessons are continuing on many years after I have graduated from their classes.

Science Teacher Science Teacher
Jun '12

Mrs. Miller is still at HHS! Anyone remmeber Mr. Pezzuto eating chalk? LOL He made algebra fun......

Christine Christine
Jun '12

Party in the quarry!!!

Mexican Bill Mexican Bill
Jul '12

Mrs Pat Michaels hands down. She loved her red shoes! And she had the 3 caskets for the Merchant of Venice.
Also Nick Witte, who left such a musical legacy at HHS. So said when Bakers Dozen was retired just recently.
JoAnn Stecker taught me how to make good pie crust and I've been making it ever since.

Most folks posting here seem to like all of their teachers. Think a good HHS experience translates to wanting to stay and live in town?

hktownie hktownie
Jul '12

Mr. Cameron !!!!!!! Best art teacher in the world

Bribri Bribri
Jul '12

Mrs. Michaels. The biology teacher who was Pat Michaels mother-in-law. I already liked the subject, especially when it involved the out-of-doors. Mrs. Michaels was knowledgeable and obviously loved the subject and teaching it.

Millie Millie
Jul '12

I loved so many of the teachers when I was there. Mrs. Miller (bio) has been mentioned, Mr. McInerney (chem) was also mentioned. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the more recent teachers, but Mr. Martino (geometry) was awesome, Mrs. Joyce (english) was great, and Mr. Piancone (history)-alot of kids thought he was intimidating/scary, but I got along great with him! I could go on and on, but I'll spare you!

heartsong
Jul '12

I should have put the "more recent teacher" part at the end because Mrs. Joyce and Mr. Piancone had been there for years and years. Oops.

heartsong
Jul '12

Ted Bowker the maintenance guy was ok...he always had a bunch of keys hanging from his belt...

Didn't go to HHS, but it amuses me to see Mr. McInerney on this thread. I had him when he taught at PCHS and couldn't stand him. I'd nap through class most of the time, but what really annoyed him was that I still got an A. :) They style of a teacher may work for some students, but not for others.

Since folks mentioned the Middle School. Mr. Joseph (back when he was teaching social studies) and Mr. Pinkman were, hands down, my favorites. I loved their classes. I liked Mrs. Ray too, and had something of crush on Mrs. Lanterman. :) (hey...I was young...)

I had several teachers that I really liked, but my favorites were Mr. Velucci and Mr. Pool.
My son used to go to the preschool programs at the highschool and I would always see Mr. Velucci walking down the hall and to the office. I couldn't believe that he remembered me after all these years. He was an amazing teacher and I learned so much in biology. I was devastated to hear of his passing, but I will always remember the good times in his class and his nickname for me.

nascarwife nascarwife
Jul '12

JJB4: Mr.McInerney was never like that when I was there. Perhaps you had him when he was newer and hadn't really established his teaching style yet.

heartsong
Jul '12

i didnt know mr. velluci died he must have been pretty young.when did he pass away?

KULATS99
Jul '12

KULATS99- He passed away during the 2001-2002 school year. He was 45.

I loved Mrs. Kay

hackettstowngrad hackettstowngrad
Jul '12

Did I not see Ms. Miller, Mrs. Kling ? she was and still is one of the best, she started when I was a freshman, what a wonderful women,human being

momof2boys momof2boys
Jul '12

I attended Hackettstown High from 1956-58. It was the top floor at the Washington Street Building. The grammar school was the first floor. Prof. Johnson was in charge of media equipment. To my knowledge he never taught a class and I do not inow why he was called "Prof." On rainy or snowy days we sometimes spent the after-lunch recess in the auditorium watching movies run by Prof Johnson: movies like The Three Stooges, Little Rascals, Abbott and Costello.

Millie Millie
Jul '12

I went to a small high school in Pa. We had an Academic course, a Commercial course, and for the kids, all boys, who flunked some courses, a General course. Our senior homeroom teacher was also the French teacher. The kids from the general course were in our Academic home room, so they took some classes with us. The rest of the day, when we took other classes, they had study classes in our home room. But they really didn't do much. So Miss Lovelick and the boys had a secret. While we were taking other classes, she taught them French. These seniors were so proud when we returned one day to our home room and they showed us their test papers. They had each gotten 100. She was a dedicated teacher.

PBM, Did you see the title of this thread? It really is quite specific! If you didn't go to HHS it doesn't pertain to you.

deviljet
Jul '12

Uh, deviljet, that really was uncalled for. Very mean spirited! BTW, why didn't you comment on the other people who didn't go to HHS but posted anyway, how come just this one?Dont let it bother you PBM!

How 'bout Mr. Bowes. He was/is a wonderful person as well as teacher.

Miss fishy Miss fishy
Jul '12

I loved all of my teachers, Mrs. Hale, yes I'm that old, Mrs. Michaels, Sass Applegate,
Etc.etc. What about Mr. Carney? Loved him too. When I complained, Hugh Brady ALWAYS got A's, he told Hugh to ignor me, because it was like a puppy yapping at an elephant!! Loved Dr. Lott and Mrs. Adams. They let me sub in Special Ed and make $17.00 a day at 17 yrs old. I had worked with the kids before and Dr. Lott was right next door. Unfortunately the pet bird died that day, but an Ort child, whose first name eludes me, saved the day. He announced a funeral should be held and so it was. We were allowed to say The Lord's Prayer.

Rae Hoffman Rae Hoffman
Jan '13

I loved Mr. Martino, Mr. McInerny, and Mr. Vellucci (though I only had him half a semester since he passed away over Christmas break when I had him..). Mrs. Cohen and Ms. Levine were also great teachers. :)

BroadwayNJ BroadwayNJ
Jan '13

Mr Applegate
Mrs Appel (Newcomb)
Mr Pizzuto

Wasn't a fan of Mr Grant, I recall him belittling some students saying things like "I earned my wings, what have you done?" "You don't want to have a battle of wits with me because you're unarmed", etc.

HHS '88 HHS '88
Jan '13

That was the best part of Mr Grant; a straight shooter who took no guff and suffered fools badly, but you knew your stuff when you left his class. He gave a hoot that his students were prepared to handle chemistry beyond HHS.

I hadn't used Chem in 30 years until my daughter began asking for help. I was shocked that the things he drilled into us all came back. Who remembers what a 'mole' was?

Well done Mr Grant!

Old Time Townie
Jan '13

Mr.Don Grant was not only a personal family friend but perhaps one of the best teachers in my estimation that HHS ever had. When I think back to what a teacher really should be and one of which is "not your best friend" when teaching you a subject. he sure filled the bill!!

joyful joyful
Jan '13

I had several favorites, Like Mrs. Mogan, Mr Schultz, and Mr. Huchel. I would have to say My favorite out of them is Mr. Huchel. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be doing what I love to do today. Thank you for the courage to follow my dreams.

tely2000 tely2000
Aug '13

Mrs. Smith, who taught her class with honesty and humor, Mr. Vellucci, who was passionate about science and tying flies (such fun when he taught us!), Mrs. Miller and her "cool beans!", Mrs. Dalton, who was always available with her kind, supportive words; never yelled at kids.

Laser Laser
Aug '13

Great teachers and a lot of fun for between 1969-1971. Those were great days at HHS (Riots in B-Hall Intersection, the Coo Chi Clan, lunch in Mr. Bowes Algebra class and throwing Billy B. out the window, or locking him in the closet, etc.; moving the film projector in gym class until it scooted away, excursions to Mr. LeClair's house), in Hackettstown, at Bertrand Island, and later at Centenary, the Final Exam, Governors Inn ... and the rest of the insanity.

S. Grant S. Grant
Aug '13

Patricia Miller, no question.

She started my love affair with all things Biology related. It evolved over the years into a love of science. Now I'm a forensic scientist, and still think about her fondly.

MBlack MBlack
Feb '14

Ms.Natison was awesome! And Mr. May and Maynard.

fussylady fussylady
Nov '14

Hands down Mr. Noble. Great coach and wonderful teacher.

Samson
Nov '14

Mr Howard Schantz, Machine Shop teacher. There was a trade school in my town but my parents wanted me to go to the regular high school. They still had shop classes there. I am sure he made peanuts in those days, but Beth Steel gave him a summer job. He probably made a years pay there. You broke something. you made a new part no matter how hard it was to make. Very few followed that course in life after that exposure. I had a lot of respect for that teacher. Class of 47

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '14

Miss Danunzio, don't know if she taught always @ Hackettstown but I know she got Around....

fitter fitter
Nov '14

MAYNARD and Mr.May!!!!!!!!

fussylady fussylady
Nov '14

Mr. William Shipley. A more dedicated teacher could not be found. Henry Deibel was a great algebra teacher.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.