Photos of the Saw Mill on Bergen Tool site

Oldman, would you have any photos of the old Saw Mill? My dad worked there as a young man.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

Re: Photos of the Saw Mill on Bergen Tool site

It was not a saw mill...American Sawmill Machinery manufactured sawmills for lumber businesses...if you want to see one in action...go to Jacktown...near Bangor PA...they have a huge sawmill there that was produced by American Sawmill Machinery...and they still saw wood with it to this day...I have enclosed a picture of one of the sawmills they built

oldman oldman
Feb '12

heres an old shot of the factory...I grew up near there...

oldman oldman
Feb '12

My husbands father worked in that sawmill too, Onlychild. I mentioned that on the other thread about Main St. markets. It was a Iron Ore Foundry at that time.

joyful joyful
Feb '12

Oldman, I worked for Bergan Mach & tool on that sight from 1966 to 1980 then again from 1985 to 1989. There was a sanding machine there that was built by American saw mill that we used almost everyday.Have many memories from my years there

Dave Z Dave Z
Feb '12

Oh my gosh, Oldman and Joyful, I can't believe I've gone this entire time thinking dad worked at a saw mill! When I was growing up, there was never any elaboration on his job...as a kid all I ever heard was "saw mill"! So that explains how he then went to work for Bartley Foundry for years...I actually got to go in the foundry once and saw how hard dad had to work in those conditions. Thanks sooo much for the info. And photos...I've even been to Jacktown and seen some of the equipment.....I'm just stunned; I can't wait to discuss this with my 88 yr. Old dad!

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

Bergen Machine and Tool...was a good place to work...so sorry to see that plant shut down...

oldman oldman
Feb '12

Oldman, did American Saw Mill go out of business or move then Bergen moved in?

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

I dont know the exact time frame as to when Bergen Tool moved into the American Sawmill site...but Bergen Tool has also gone out of business

oldman oldman
Feb '12

It seems like a lot of people had family working for the American Saw Mill. Just like OnlyChild I thought my father worked at a saw mill. I am happy to learn that they made a machine. In all of these years I never thought about this. My Dad was a worked in many machine shops and in all of these years I never put two and two together. Until yesterday I really thought it was a saw mill. Thank you oldman for some very interesting information.

Janet (Ott)Philhower Janet (Ott)Philhower
Feb '12

Bergen Machine and tool moved the manufacturing part of the company to Hackettstown in 1955 or there about.The sales office and warehouse stayed in Nutley where the company had been.
Bergen moved to MT Top Pa in 2003 and has since gone out of bussness when the housing market collapsed
It is sad to see it gone.

Dave Z Dave Z
Feb '12

Janet (Ott), so glad you also thought American Saw Mill was an actual lumber mill....I just was so shocked I went this time under that impression....Kind of funny. As I mentioned, my dad went on to work at another foundry...and yours left American Saw Mill for a machine shop somewhere?

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

when Betty Cooper from Hackettstown was named Miss America of 1937...American Sawmill Machinery featured her in one of their ads with a sawmill they were selling

oldman oldman
Feb '12

My Mom went to school with Betty Cooper.

Feb '12

my late mother knew her too...she once pointed her out to me when we were shopping on Main Street

oldman oldman
Feb '12

My husband knew Betty Cooper...He was just starting school when she was in high school, I guess. When I asked him if he was in school with her or knew her...he said "I'm not "that" old, my dear!"

joyful joyful
Feb '12

Oldman, yet another great photo. Since I don't know your identity, I can only assume by your wealth of knowledge and photos of Hackettstown history that you belong to the Historical Society?

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

I am associated with the historical society... not a member...I would at some time like to display my Hackettstown and Morris Canal memorabilia there...but that remains to see how that could be accomplished...heres another old shot of American Sawmill works...looking across the old Hibler Lumber yard

oldman oldman
Feb '12

American Saw Mill and the Lumber yard...and so I associate lumber and saw mill again! Just kidding...is your Hackettstown memorabilia a result of your family passing down the photos thru the years? They are wonderful to have. I remember Hiblers and the terrible fire. Did you know anyone from the Heath/Kay/Sharp families...my family has lived in Hackettstown for many years.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

the photos are part of my personal collection...my family has done business...with the prominent local business families...I still like Hackettstown

oldman oldman
Feb '12

By any chance was a cleaners business and an auto parts business in your family?

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Feb '12

no...we had another business...enough for now

oldman oldman
Feb '12

"What's My Line" Oldman, will you please sign in.

THE MAN THE MAN
Feb '12

here is the brick building at the former Bergen Tool property on Main Street...as the site plan goes this might be the only building on the property that will survive...the planned re-development of the site...there seems to be some work going on there...as I spotted workers and trucks on the property recently...

oldman oldman
Feb '12

American Sawmill Machinery, still a few 5 & 6 ft blades in use in Honesdale Pa and Hancock NY area. They were sharpened annually by a few old time employeees. Not being in that area anymore, do not know who tkes care of them now. Incidently, as to
Miss America, after she won, (HHC Junior, it went from Betty to Bette, with transfer to Centenary Junior). One more note; she was never Miss New Jersey, her entry was as Miss Bertrands Island. Allf 17 years old, A wonderful young oflady!

oldsoldier oldsoldier
Feb '12

Glad to see that the office part of the building my survive, the rest of the main building is only cement blocks from the ground to the windows all the rest is wood construction. The timbers that hold the roof up where there since the saw mill time. the rafters and the roof are all wood. Hope someone gets the old wood and it is not just taken to the landfill

Dave Z Dave Z
Feb '12

Tell me Old Man. Did Hackettstown ever put up a statue
of Chot Morrison? They should have.

Frank Brauchle Frank Brauchle
Mar '12

they named a football field after him...and I believe there is a monument near the high school

oldman oldman
Mar '12

A monument exists at Morrison Field in front of the field house. It was installed while I was on the team in the late 90s.

My husband played HHS football and Chot Morrison was his coach. He says if the kids had him for their coach today....they would not be able to handle it nor would they want to. He was tough!!

Joyful Joyful
Mar '12

here's some more info on American sawmill http://vintagemachinery.org/MfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=36

Bug2
Mar '12

I just noticed an 8" American table saw on ebay. Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-AMERICAN-SAW-MILL-CO-Bench-Saw-Vintage-8-Table-Saw-Unique-Find-/190647316092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c63772e7c

Joe M Joe M
Mar '12

Since you people seem to be talking about a place gone by , here's something you might wanna look at. Go to roughandtumbleengineersassn.com. At this facility in Kinzers,PA they have a bunch of old piston pumps and machinery indoors which were collected and restored over the years. Also, at different times of the year, they have different events. I know it is a ride, but well worth it to watch your Grandfathers or Fathers eyes light up as they revisit days gone buy and talk to other Ladies and Gentlemen about stories way back when. I wish I had known about this place when my Dad and Grandfather were still living so we could have spent days there. It's worth a look. Really....at least take a look..............:)

Lenny Lenny
Mar '12

go to Jacktown near Bangor PA...The Blue Mtn Antique Steam and Gas Engine Association...has several events a year where they run antique engines...and you can see an actual American Sawmill Machinery sawmill in operation... the same one in this video...enjoy the video link...ps do not watch this video if you are a tree hugger http://youtu.be/Rqo3rhIUtIg

oldman oldman
Mar '12

oldman, Thank you so much for the video. We went to the Blue Mountain Antique Steam and Gas Engine events years ago. We will try and get to one this year. Again thank you.

Mar '12

Hey Oldman,
Thanks for the video. It was awesome and right up my alley. I am definitely gonna get to the show this year......

Lenny Lenny
Mar '12

Does anyone know of a William J Ruddell, listed as Vice President of "Saw Mill Machinery Company" on the 1940 US census? He lived at 108 Harvey.

Bob McNulty Bob McNulty
Jul '12

We took a trip to the Pine Barrens yesterday and visited Historic Batsto Village. Came across this in the sawmill there. Just thought I would share.

Cobra0516
Aug '14

Another view.

Cobra0516
Aug '14

The Blue Mtn Antique Steam and Gas Engine Association..
I have been to that show. It is great. So many small engines running also.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Cool photos, Cobra. Thanks for sharing.

THE MORP
Sep '14

My father originally worked for BMT in Nutley, NJ and then transferred to Hackettstown to become the superintendent of the plant. I believe that was a couple years before 1955. He remained in that position for over 20 years. I worked there a couple of summers in the office. The house I lived in there is gone and so is the plant. Sadly, but thankfully, all I have now is memories.

Chris Pakula Bhore
Oct '14

Does anyone have information regarding William "Bill" Ruddell who was American Saw Mill's VP of Sales in the 30s and 40s and lived on Harvey Street? His wife's name was Kathleen. Bill passed on in 1961.

Bob McNulty Bob McNulty
Jun '16

Here is a rare photo of the American Saw mill

Jim W Jim W
Sep '18

Did they put up anything yet to comemorate the Saw Mill? . It was agreed upon during the debacle of the Bergen Tool site at the Town Council Meetings.

pampurr pampurr
Sep '18

Perhaps you could drive by and look

Bug3
Sep '18

that is to be included in the Phase 2 of the Bergen tool site, which unfortunately has not happened yet and doesn't appear to begin anytime soon.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

I hate the way the town bowed down to the developer..He took down that beautiful brick building and now look at that rat’s nest he left. What an eyesore!!!

pampurr pampurr
Sep '18

I love it. Can’t wait for phase 2

Philliesman Philliesman
Sep '18

What beautiful brick building?

Bug3
Sep '18

Can't wait for Phase 2, well I believe you will be waiting a long time. Jim L, is there a timeline that they need to meet to start Phase 2 or is it open ended?

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '18

Their site plan approval is for 2 years. It was approved in Nov ‘16 planning board meeting which means they would have to come in beforehand to ask for an extension

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

Thanks Jim, and what happens if they don't show up and ask for an extension. Sorry for the questions, I just feel like this guy is not going to follow through. Hopefully I am wrong.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '18

Fencing is down in some areas again...It’s a total mess.

pampurr pampurr
Sep '18

I don’t know what happens if they do t come back and ask for an extension as we have never had that happen. My guess is they would have to come back and redo the entire site plan. Which I would assume is costly and they won’t let that happen so they will ask for an extension. I agree it’s a mess and the Land Use Board is getting tired of the current conditions of the site.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

Spot on pampurr, the developer called the shots, not the town.

Denis Denis
Sep '18

It still looks better then that old Bergen tool rat nest.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.