Dive Bars (your vote)

Well Im sure this has been covered before somewhere on H.L. however I just stopped in a TRUE dive bar this weekend. It gets my vote, I wanted to discuss the wondeful places! I was in Pennslyvania off rt 512 in the Bangor area (Washington twp) little dive called Danetes (used to be called the Germ) total dive! Place smelled the people smelled....beer was cheap! Loved it! ok anyone else got some dive bars to add?

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

George's in Belvidere. Total dive. I won't even go there, the ladies' room is absolutely filthy.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

Calico, I have to agree with you on Georges. The place I was @ in PA seemed worse though...hahaha

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

onells in portland pa ppl chain smokin in there fist holes in walls and bathroom ha i think its just hole in floor that leads to hell i kinda like it lol and the place next to quik check in washington its just wierd there ah

savage
Jan '12

Yes, Scotty's in Washington is pretty divey.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

Years ago, Mill Lane Tavern in Rockaway Boro. May have changed by now.

abbadabbadoooo abbadabbadoooo
Jan '12

Are we talking COOL dive bars (that people should check out) or FILTHY dive bars (that people should avoid?)

On the COOL list, Bernie's Hillside is the closest thing to a true music roadhouse in NJ. My favorite place for music & beer.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '12

The Minisink in PA, at least the last time I was in it....

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Jan '12

Mills Lane Tavern is pretty nice now.....also O'neils isnt as bad as The Overlook and Slateford Inn just north of Portland PA.....both are SUPER dive bars. More towards Town I would say J.P.Kellys although clean would be a "nice" dive bar. Flannery's on 46 kinda fits aswell.

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

I was wondering that too Jeffersonrepub. Bernie's is a classic road house and I love the Minisink too.

Big difference between a dive and a plain jane drinking hole with a bunch of regulars.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '12

We love Flannery's and go there all the time. It's an ancient bar, but clean. No food, just booze and friendly regulars. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

How about 5 Points, in Bangor? Pretty local and divey, but since they redid the inside about 5 years ago, it isnt so divey- though is very local and very cheap beer.

Island Park- if only someone would reopen it! The place, if you liked local flavor.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '12

Island Park used to be great years ago when Mario and his brother owned it. After that it went downhill so bad and last we stopped there it was a perfect example of what you would call a"dive bar".

joyful joyful
Jan '12

Jewells Beer and Bullets on route 512 in East Bangor . Stop in , stock up on ammo for your guns up front and drink at the bar in back . They used to sell gas too , I used to joke that it was the perfect place for bank robbers on the run - gas up the getaway car , stock up on ammo , and have a few drinks before the next bank job ! They used to have guns hanging on the walls behind the bar which added to the ambiance , but I don't see any on the facebook pictures .

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jewells-Beer-Bullets/289241947949

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

joyful - Not sure what year it was the last time you were there, but Island Park was nowhere near a dive bar at the time it closed. It was clean, they always had a good mixed crowd and good bands on weekends.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

Snack Bar in P'burg is a total dive. Yikes!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

I have to half agree with Joyful Island Park did go down hill over the last 10 or so years it was opened.....yes the owners did change it around and put that metal ceiling in but the place was a dive.....

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

Anyone remember Mondos in Belvidere ? It was probably the biggest dive in the area when it was open . In fact it was in an issue of Weird New Jersey along with Flannerys in a search for dive bars a few years back . A friend of mine who used to work in the area when it was open would stop there at lunch break and order two beers at once because it took old Mondo so long to make change !

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

At one time years ago there had to be 20-30 bars if you went from Hackettstown on 46 to 611 in up to Stroudsburg....alot of those places were sorta "dives" not all but maybe half. A few still are there. I would love to get a 15 passenger van and a driver and hit all are still open......ahh......maybe some day.

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

Believe it or not, I've been told by family that the Minisink Hotel has actually been cleaned up? I can say for sure during college that place you couldn't tell if the floor was dirty or just had no floor. And enough health violations so you would only order something liquid. In bulk - dirt cheap pitchers just like the rest of the place.

But now I've heard it's all quite respectable and even a lunch joint? It used to be for vampires - wouldn't even open in sunlight hours. Next thing you know Shorty's or the Lackawanna will be serving tea sandwiches and scones. It's bad enough they turned the CLU Club into a sports bar.

My bother lives in Delaware Water Gap and he goes to The Minisink. Before Christmas I went there with him for a couple. The joint is very clean and well taken care of now.....not like years ago!

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

Then there were the bars in Knowlton Township open to the early hours of the morning in the 70s - Jabberwocky and Scurvy Irvs otherwise known as Vitales .

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

Yes Vitales was a open 23 hours bar. If I remember right it closed only from 5-6 or 6-7 am and if you were STILL drinking they locked you in for that hour!

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

Before your time, Calico...there used to be a place on Main St. in Hackettstown called the Central House...Let me put it this way...no one drank their beer out of a glass there!

joyful joyful
Jan '12

I miss the Big K used to go there after my Dads softball games...dark and not spotless but I always LOVED it there.

Another one but not sure I would call it a dive is the Chew and Brew in Johnsonburg...i think it's closed now :(

Nosila Nosila
Jan '12

Sparkys in Blairstown (long gone) was a true dive. Their slogan was "Where old friends meet" but all these Gin Mills have closed or improved.....lets find some current dives!

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

Hoovers in Parsippany on Rt. 53. never a problem and the people are friendly.

Re: Dive Bars (your vote)

The Lackawanna in East Stroudsburg...not a dive...but history...they even have boombas on display...boombas are a sign of a true tavern...

oldman oldman
Jan '12

the Lackawanna Tavern has boombas on display...the mark of a true tavern...any boombas fans out there http://youtu.be/I5aUQn4gjX4

oldman oldman
Jan '12

Now I know what a Boomba is, and now I know where to find one....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jan '12

Vitales...better known as Scurvy Erves...did the overnite shift there

oldman oldman
Jan '12

lets not leave out the old R Bar in Washington NJ...that was quite a place

oldman oldman
Jan '12

although it is a go-go bar the place on 31 in Hampton (was called The Breeze Inn) was a true dive!

Bud Weiser Bud Weiser
Jan '12

I'm sure surprised at you joyful. Central house was very good and nice! Bill was a
fine gentleman. Of course place did cater mostly to elder gentlemen. Had good
old time bartenders. Of course his best support was from out of town. He had
some of the best known locations in Morris County. Check out with your better half, am sure he'l back me up.

oldsoldier oldsoldier
Jan '12

Far be it from me to call into question the wisdom of such a PA German polka staple like a boomba, yet there's no way to call the Lackawanna anything but a dive. Dive history maybe, but still pure unadulterated dive from prohibition right to today.

If you want a local historian instead of history, then go to Summa's because they've written their share of books on the subject. And if you want my uncle, try Shorty's. ;-)

(a little family humor there, even though you may well fall into my uncle at Lackawanna too)

PS. The boomba girl has no sense of rhythm.

one of my best pals spent years bartending at the Lackawanna...he used to chase the patrons from Shortys away from the Lackawanna with a piece of pipe...the Shortys drinkers were not wanted there...as far as boom-bas...they can also be found at Flannerys... and several other area taverns... sorry the boom-ba girl did not make it up to your high standards... ps. I am sure you can do better with a boom-ba

oldman oldman
Jan '12

The Hampton Inn on Musconetcong River Rd. What a dump.

bemo12
Jan '12

The High Noon Saloon in Budd Lake.

The River Styx in Califon, closed now but I think they used to re-open once a year to keep their liquor liscense, and there used to be the Long Valley Inn.

Sandy TDK
Jan '12

I haven't been to the High Noon in ages, but know it was re-done not so long ago and looks pretty nice from the outside. Even when I went there in the mid 90s it didn't seem so bad. Are my standards really that low?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '12

WOW... so that Hampton Inn is actually OPEN?!?!?!

Jan '12

Way back the place that is now the Villia Venice was a bar called the red penny , and my brothers place ,

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jan '12

west of bangor on 512 the wounder bar

Jan '12

Jefferson: Yes, it is open. The bartender is like 100 years old and very sweet, but very slow, lol. He also didn't know (or didn't care) that you aren't allowed to smoke in bars anymore because everyone in there was smoking like chimneys and the place filled up with smoke quickly.

I only went there once, and it was good for a laugh, but I would not go back.

bemo12
Jan '12

Jules Tavern - Trenton, NJ

when the Red Penny and My Brothers Place was still open...Jack Corey...was involved...or owned the place...that was some tavern...

oldman oldman
Jan '12

DID SOMEONE ACTUALLY CALL THE HIGH NOON A DIVE BAR? LMFAO! That place is the nicest bar in the area.

CheekyLoL
Jan '12

Cheeky - It is really nice since the renovation. Perhaps they were remembering it from before that.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

Wasn't "My Brothers Place" where someone didn't like the music on the jukebox and lassoed it to their truck and dragged it out the door? And also the home of "Skull darts"?

Old Soldier: Maybe I have the wrong place..also was not aware that Bill owned other establishments in Morris County. I do know that you rarely saw a woman in there...for me it would be for the cleanliness of the place.

joyful joyful
Jan '12

Joyful you hit it right on the head so to speakof lol

Jan '12

Another but not a dive was on Rt46 just a cross from Rt performance felixs was more like a house

way back on the road to belvidere on the bend after the brothers of the heart there was a small gas station and bar

Jan '12

Haha I thought this thread was about DOVE BARS and I was going to say DARK CHOCOLATE OVER CHOCOLATE!!!

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jan '12

@ Budweiser there is a bar out by Swartswood Lake in Sussex county called Boomers . Total redneck/dive bar. Also Lenape Lodge in Andover, Most bars in Newton, Max's on Sparta RD by Lafayette, Rays Inn was a dive, The Greek on 206 in Springdale, The Fredon house near Newton. Long gone but was a dump and a half was the Fireside on 94 in Marksboro also long gone the Hainesburg Inn on 94 in Knowlton. The Hutch down in Harmony Twp ok thats all for now

adolpho coors adolpho coors
Jan '12

George's Place - Belvidere - that's truly a dive.

Used to be one on Hilltop in Flanders - a good dive.

Was one in Buttzville - can't remember name.

Another old house dive place was in Layton.

Stephan Stephan
Jan '12

The Flatbrook (near Layton)-Deep fired Calzones, YUM!!!

Nutmeg
Jan '12

Boomers! I pass that every day on my work commute. Looks like quite a place!

Since some of you seem to know the Newton area, what about the bar on Rt 94, just past the Fredon Elem school, across from the new civic center or whatever it is? Looks like it might be pretty dive-y. Never been in it myself, and can't remember the name. Fountain something maybe?

Jan '12

JOYFUL: Can't believe you did not know Bill had a place in Wharton; then, 'Irish Bar' rte 6 & 10 Ledgewood; 'Orange Blossom' rte 46 Budd Lk; 'Musconetcong Country Club; rte 24. Check with your better half!

oldsoldier oldsoldier
Jan '12

There used to be an awful bar (or great depending on your level of depravity) on the corner of main street Hackettstown and east plane street with shady rooms to rent above it. I was a little kid when it closed up but i believe to get in you, had to show the broken capillaries in your nose and other signs of dedicated hard drinking. Central House nowhere near as bad as that one! Anyone remember...?

theBlackLodge theBlackLodge
Jan '12

A-Nets (Rays) in Netcong is a true dive bar.

TheJackyl TheJackyl
Jan '12

Thanks Old Soldier...I am sure you are right...and I am not going to ask "my better half"...because how do I know that he is the "better half??""Lol Love ya!!

joyful joyful
Jan '12

some place north of lake hopatcong sailors

Jan '12

3 more: Toot's Tavern P-burg, what a dump! now its a nice place with a diffrent name. The Wedgewood Inn rt 57 Broadway, go-go/dive bar. The Hunters Lodge in Delaware not so much of a dive but just a place time forgot.

TheJackyl TheJackyl
Jan '12

Toot's is now Mars Bar I believe. Hunter's Lodge is reopened and pretty nice inside with decent food. Wedgewood is just skanky.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

The biggest dive I know of I havent been in! Basset Pub in Dover. I worked on a job near there 4 years ago, worked with some old school drinking at lunch guys...they wouldnt even go in there so it has to be bad! Also another dive in Dover is The Hoop just a rough spilled booze smelling place. Also although far from here there is a bar in West Orange by Edisons Factory that fits the dive/oldman title...drank there @ lunch with the same above mentioned co-workers.

mellowgoldthrice mellowgoldthrice
Jan '12

My buddy tells me near Buttzville there was one true dive bar sorta behind 5 acres flea market called The Sportsman. He claims that and the Oxford House were total dive/dumps back in the day. Also that bar in Fredon sure looks like a dive! Never been in it though. Oh another dive is The Pavillion Lounge on Sandshore rd in Budd Lake.

Jan '12

The Central House on Main Street gets my vote. It was old, filthy as hell but I still had some fun times there.

Farmall49 Farmall49
Jan '12

The Beer Stein in Wind Gap PA...its still there...but it is a sports bar...the entrance to the bar was a giant beer stein...who can remember another place...an old gas station right near A&P in Belvedere...an elderly guy ran it...its closed now

oldman oldman
Jan '12

mellowgoldthrice

the sportsman bar I for got that one , its in bridgeville one block south of 46 &519 to the left and 5 buildings east on the left side more of a local drinkers kind of place

Jan '12

What about Oxford what was the bars like there ? never went to oxford much

Jan '12

Oldman that bar/gas station was called the pequest bend bar

Jan '12

I was told this info from a buddy thats now in his early 60's so thats all the info I had.

Jan '12

The old Johnsbury Inn Gone but not forgotten. Claus Inn on Waterloo Rd Another one gone Think it was called the Meadow Inn (now Cannon Ball) used to stop after a night at Island Dragway

thehazguy thehazguy
Jan '12

Oxford...The Lackawanna... right next to the abandoned Lackawanna RR tracks...total dive...closed for many years now...but one neat thing... the owner had a large collection of antique beer trays on display...and he knew all about them...the Sportsman..was a regular tavern...I hit that place once or twice...and the Schooleys Mtn Inn are there any patrons here ... that remember that place

oldman oldman
Jan '12

the hutch is a dive too!

Jan '12

there was a place near lake Musconetcong...The Comic Strip...many years ago...anyone been there...

oldman oldman
Jan '12

marleys is a dive too

thebeerboss thebeerboss
Jan '12

cannon balls now stage dolls . thehazguy .

so were was a good place . pick up the ladys

Jan '12

The Box Car

Jan '12

Oh my the Comic Strip. Spent a week there one night......

Maybe had a lunch or two, maybe three or lost count at the Comic Strip

thehazguy thehazguy
Jan '12

Im suprised nobody brought up Falconer's on lake Lackawanna? That place was a dive and a half!

thebeerboss thebeerboss
Jan '12

Yes, Falconer's was a dive. Really bad dive in Hopatcong, Mason St. Pub. EEEEK! Also Fiersteins's OMG!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

OK i just found out that there was a bar call the dutch hill inn in oxford . but there was a nother on Hill st or Axford ave a very small place

Jan '12

Anyone remember the Copper Mine Inn on Old Mine Road in the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area ? One of my memories of that old rotting decrepit building was visiting friends fishing/camping out in Worthington State Forest in the late 70s and making a beer run there with Tom Saville (one of the campers) and as we entered the broken down dive the owner said no dogs allowed to Tom who brought his dog everywhere . Tom pointed at the owners dog laying down behind the bar and said , "What's that a groundhog ?"

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

Zombo, that was well before my drinking days, but I remember that place. For some reason I had it in my head that it had been called the old Copper Top...

Jan '12

Caged - According to my father in law (born and raised in Oxford), way back when there were 8 bars in Oxford and 8 churches. LOL

The bar that was on Hill Street is now a vacant lot. Most of the other bars are now residential buildings.

Totally forgot about the St. Cloud in Washington (burned down a few years ago). That was a real dive.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

@ Calico Mason Street is in Jefferson and isnt so much of a dive anymore. Also The Glasser Inn (sp?) was a dump too! now I believe it is or was Kabobs. Speaking of Hopatcong area the Tidelwave was a dive.

Jan '12

The St. Cloud or Our Place/Bar is the only bar that I have been harrassed for money by fellow drunks....what a Sh%t hole! 1 more former dive is the Colonial Hotel in Bangor PA.....it was terrible but now it to is fixed up and a nice place.

Jan '12

Glad to hear that about Mason St. Haven't been there in at least 10 years. We always called the Tidal Wave the Tidy Bowl. :o)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

At one time there were 48 bars around Lake Hopatcong , or so I was told back in the day . No doubt many of those were dives , like the Westmoreland or most recently (still?) known as Rumors which gave lap dances (behind a curtain) classified as prostitution by NJ back in the late 90s . Limericks on route 46 Mount Olive (no pun intended) did that too , but are now a legit restaurant .

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

Allthough not a total dive but a strange bar is Carols Wine Cellar on Lakeside Blvd in Hopatcong. The bar is in a liquor store and its bar is like 4 ft high at best. As for Westmorelands does anyone remember the old owner? his name was "Bat" and he was a real strange yet funny dude. Used to bump into him up in PA @ TK's he was always trying to sell me something. One time he even claimmed to be running a lobster wholesale company..lol Last time I saw him he was "taking the autotrain to Florida"

Jan '12

I remember the comic strip in ....netcong, cool place, dive but
I liked dives then....sometimes strange , but thats when it was known as the cosmic strip. Anybody remember the hainseburg inn, or tabacco road, i think that was owned by a guy named joe robino can,t remember...70's-80's blurry...clubs pub in netcong was the downstairs of the club 23, in netcong, had great times there! Pool table turntable to play albums, then good juke box, and local talent playing on there accoustic guitars. Great clam bakes!

fitter
Jan '12

@ Lori

Copper Top strikes a memory in me too - maybe it's this place on route 202 with the name of Olde Mill Inn which could have had a different name long ago .

http://www.oldemillinn.com/dining/coppertoppub.php

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

the Hainseburg inn wow that someting I love that building

Jan '12

@zombo - I think you're right. At least 48, maybe more and my dad was a regular at everyone!! Log Cabin, Fuerstein's, Chabon's, Larry's Lakeside Inn (def not a dive) just to name a few I recall. I can't believe mellowgoldthrice remembered the Glasser Inn. I lived about 3 doors down from that place and on more than a few occasions, we found their patron's sleeping it off in our front yard. Good thing none of them rolled down the yard & into the lake.

Slade Slade
Jan '12

Lake Hopatcong bars...been there done that ... from Tinys in Jefferson...to the Captains Chair in Landing..including The Sail Inn...sail inn...float out...the R Bar in Washington was a dive...but it was located right next to the Washington pool hall...so that was handy...the Hainesburg Inn...spent many a night there...they used to get some great bands...it was just an old mansion...the coat room was just a pile of coats...and you were lucky to get yours back...at the end of the night

oldman oldman
Jan '12

The only Lake Hopatcong bars I went to were Governor's Inn , Pappy's Road House , The Lighthouse , The Hob Nobb and the Westmoreland which is the only one of those I would consider a dive , but then again what go-go bar isn't ? There used to be six bars in Great Meadows alone back then - Meadow View Inn (now Stage Dolls), Nykuns , Felixes (known as Raddys) , Red Penny (now Villa Venice) , Pep and Walts , and Bugsies/Ed's Tavern ( later Ron and Georges now J.P. Kellys) . I lost a few friends to drunken driving back then and looking back on it it was a crazy time with bars everywhere and carnage on the roads . Didn't agree with the strict drunk driving laws enacted back in the early 80s , but looking back on it they were severely needed .

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

stupid question where was Felix's?

Jan '12

Ok here is another sorta dive bar: The Daily Planet up in Jefferson Twp near Oakridge off Berkshire Valley rd. Its a go-go bar I guess, middle of the woods and on a back road ..... place looks like a log cabin and neat place.

Jan '12

Felixes was in the basement of the second house from the corner of Hope Road (county route 611) and only open in the late afternoon after the owner got home from his real job . There was a barber shop next door or the next house over with a barber in his 80s who would pinch your ears with his scissors . I much preferred barber Phil in Hope and not just for the comics !

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

zombo what happened to the liquor license? 8obalous (now Niles) got that one ?

Jan '12

Valley Liquors in the Crossroads strip mall or Bobalou's steak house got Felixes' liquor license I believe since both are still in Independence Township .

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

yeah thats what I figured. Hey a friend of mine is have a dive bar tour next saturday (I believe she even posted something here on HL) So ill put details up if I get any....

Jan '12

Valley liquors got the license first...the wanted to sell package goods...thats why they had the small bar way in the back...it then expanded to Bobalous steakhouse...when Bobalous sold out there was a problem with the license...I only had a beer in the old Nykuns tavern once...many years ago...

oldman oldman
Jan '12

I know a lot of the places we talk about are not all dives and some realy nice places

Jan '12

My vote Kay's in Stroudsburg....Only bar I know of where you can have a cheap beer and pick up a free loaf of bread on the way out!

Jman
Jan '12

I would say out of all the places brought up on this topic the worst by far is the Germ! The place is a total dive! Last time I was in there a beer and a shot was under $5 but it wasnt worth it IMO.

Jan '12

Jman - Similar to the Minisink or High Noon, new owners and times change. Kay's predecessor was down right scary about the number of knife fights and stabbings in there. Now it's "nice to see you, make a sandwich". ;-)

I just was in PA tonight with my buddy we drove past a true dive bar! The Richmond Hotel rt 611 Lower Mt. Bethel Twp PA the place was horrible! The only neon was a Busch Beer sign! I just wish we had the time to stop in!

Jan '12

Richmond Hotel is awesome for pool. They have a table on the lower level. Cash only. About 6 bar stools with a beam going right up the center of the bar. Other seating is folding type tables and chairs. They serve shots in plastic salad dressing cups. No cash register, they keep the money in a metal cash box. The regulars are super friendly and great pool players. Gotta love it. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

by horrible I mean "I would live acrossed the street if I could" I just wish I had the time to stop in for a cold one!

Jan '12

The Anderson inn

Jan '12

Not all the places here are out and out dives for sure , but I'd have to put the Sports Scene Bar/Restaurant at Oakwood Lanes on the list of bars that have really gone downhill over the last 20 years to near dive quality compared to what they once were . Twenty years ago it when fairly new it had satellite tv service and was a good place to go to watch a non-televised NFL game or closed circuit boxing match . Going in there recently it was quite shocking to see that not a single thing had changed - same square old fashioned 4:3 aspect ratio tvs , same blurry picture 4:3 projection tv as well and dirty dishes piled up high on the bar as waitresses gossiped on cell phones nearby . And the bar stools that are permanently attached to the bar STILL only have enough leg room for midgets , some refusing to turn very far - 20 friggan' years later ! I've seen really old people not change anything in their house for 20 years or more , but a public bar/restaurant ? Unheard of , unless of course it's a dive .

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

Funny how different people have different ideas of what a "dive" bar is. Sports Scene is not a dive by any standard of the word IMO. Yes, the TVs and stuff are outdated, but it is clean, doesn't have seedy patrons and has decent food.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

The food @ the Sports Scene was always good IMO as for a true "dive" @ a bowling alley Circle Lanes in Ledgewood is a dive and has a dive bar! Oh speaking of that area Morgans Bar in MineHill is a dive

Jan '12

Morgan's was also an awesome place for playing pool. Haven't been there in many years. They used to have a regulation size table there.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

there was a bar at the lanco out in pohatcong town ship dive yes questionable women yes but some what fun

Jan '12

Calico, I havent been there in a few myself. Also out that way (and this may have already been brought up) is a bar in Rockaway Boro. Forget the name now but its across from the Main st. Exchange its not a true dive but has more friggin beer steins then anywhere Ive been...also there is a attached Liquor Store.

Jan '12

Anyone remember the name of that bar out in Chester? I forget the name or the road it was on but basicly you cut a left atr the red light on 206 south Quick Chek and follow those roads it was a old white building if I remember correctly.

Jan '12

@ Caged Animal wasnt that place called 'Marbles'? also dont forget Larry Holmes Commadore Inn (sp) on 22

Jan '12

Maybe it was an off night at the Sports Scene as the hallway from the parking lot had a funky smell and with 2 waitresses and a bartender two big piles of dirty dishes + dirty glasses sat on the bar almost a half hour next to us before someone finally took them away . Must have been the B team on that night .

Zombo Zombo
Jan '12

Another Dive Bar : Pats in Mt. Arlington one of the good dives though.

Jan '12

Morgans had a good pool table...and a great shuffle board...spent some time there...the bar that was out by Laneco... in Pburg was Marbles never went there...passed by many times...went to Gunnars Landing once or twice also...i took this shot of the Anderson hotel right after it closed down

oldman oldman
Jan '12

Mellow - The roadhouse bar in Chester is Bernie's Hillside Lounge. Great place. Great music on weekends. Can't think of the name of the place in Rockaway that you mentioned, but spent many a night at Adam's Beer Garden. :)

Also, Gatwin's somewhere off of 15 on a jug handle, maybe Jefferson. Pretty divey.

Can't think of the name, but there is another pool/darts bar in the Mt. Arlington area north of Pub 199 on the right hand side.

Oh and one of the worst that I just thought of is The Dart in Dover. Yikes!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

@ oldman I went in the Anderson Hotel maybe 1 time....t
he whole bar went silent till (stranger in a strange land I guess) @ Calico the Dart was a true dive! Now its a latin american bar I think. Also maybe the bar in Rockaway was called Smittys' or something like that.Now getting way out of our area: up on rt 23 heading to Sussex boro there is/was a true dive ....worst then any other ......just cant remember the name.

Jan '12

Calico - My office was on Howard Blvd a few years back, and maybe twice I had to go up to the PO. The PO alone is it's own experience, but probably the only other place in town was across the street there - I believe it's "Pat's" that was already mentioned.

Bar 46 is kind of a dive too now that I think about it.

Jan '12

never had a problem at the Anderson Hotel...I used to work down towards Hampton...and that was a stop for lunch...or on the way home from work...they had a good burger...and cold beer...enough for me

oldman oldman
Jan '12

The Bar in Rockaway is Smiths Tavern. Been there for years!

John C John C
Jan '12

A lot of these are before my time in the area, but how about the Jigger Pub? I thought that was a great dive bar. I have a few souvenirs in my basement from that place, and they still smell like stale cigarette smoke.

Denis Denis
Feb '12

Actually just went to Gatwyns for the 1st time with my friends. Less divey (did we just invent that word? LOL) on the inside than the outside. And they had really good wings.

I grew up near Sussex boro so i know those bars LOL. Fountain square, Heaters, Allens, Airport pub, Sussex Inn (not really that bad). Then you drive up 284 and there were bars with dirt floors and chickens running around LOL.

Bryan Bryan
Feb '12

I would never have considered the Jigger Pub a dive bar. It was always smokey in there but years ago most restaurants and bars were that way. When Gary L.(a very dear family friend) was alive and owned the Jigger Pub..it was a really nice place to go. Good food and drinks..In fact, I had my bridal shower there. Maybe it did go downhill after he passed, I really don't know.

joyful joyful
Feb '12

It has been gone for a long time but the Olive or Twist on 57 where the SOS stove store is now.

Nutmeg
Feb '12

The Dart, I'd forgotten all about that one. There's another in Wharton that I can think of, just across Rt 15 from Costco, a little dead end street. I believe it's called the Knotty Pine. I was last there about 15 yrs ago...

Also in Dover, I heard that Gallo's on Blackwell Street was a dive, but I was never in there myself until it became Bartolo's, and that was really nice. It has since changed to another bar/club, then a restaurant, and now I have no idea what it is, maybe just apartments...

Feb '12

The bar in Fredon is a great one. Never seems to be crowded when I visit.

Stephan Stephan
Feb '12

At The Hop in Dover, great little Dive Bar with a 50's-60's thyme, Lots of memorbilia!

Yeah the Fountain House in Fredon is a classic dive. My friend's band used to play there years ago that's how i've been there.

Actually this place is classic too.

http://rt23.com/links/Mountain_Rest_Inn.html

Bryan Bryan
Feb '12

Joyful, I remember Gary too. He had an office next to my store on Main st. years ago.
He was a very nice guy. Things did change after he passed, but it sounds like you used to go there around the dinner hours. If you were ever there after 11:00 on a Thursday, or weekend night, you would notice huge difference in the crowd and atmosphere. I would say it was a dive bar, but a great one. I loved going there, and there is nothing around here like it since it closed, and sold it's licence to Applebee's.

Denis Denis
Feb '12

Denis: I also used to have a business on Main St. years ago and also managed the Sunrise Dairy for Gary when he bought that. He was a neighbor and a very dear friend and his wife Lorraine and I are still very best friends. He worked so hard all of his life and loved the Jigger Pub. Never smoked a day in his life but lung cancer was what took his life.

joyful joyful
Feb '12

my vote is George's Place in Belvidere

sadbear sadbear
Feb '12

Woman arrested for assault at Scotty's in Washington.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2012/02/woman_charged_with_assault_aft.html

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '12

The old Mansfield Inn in Mansfield, very much a dive and dangerous until its final closing shortly after the gunfight.
Aunt Kate's on rt. 206 in Stanhope, no longer there.
The Outpost, now a saddle shop on rt. 46, independence twp.
Didn't see these listed and thought I would submit them. Thank god they are gone now...

boobalaa boobalaa
Feb '12

The old Anderson Hotel was a great place. I believe Harold Stecker was the owner.
I used to stop in after my shift at Elastimold. Seems like 100 years ago

The Shadow The Shadow
Mar '12

They all are dumps.

CaptainGenesse CaptainGenesse
Aug '13

Kay's in Stroudsburg-OMG. The Minisink is awesome! Def not a dive bar..... also love The Overlook in Mt. Bethel. We've seen some great bands on screened in porch out back,while camping in The Water Gap.

Kathy R Kathy R
Jul '14

Caged may have remembered way back when "Marbles" was known as "Falk's Lounge"... it was way more divey then. It didn't become Marbles until the late 80s.

Another dive in Pohatcong was "The Red Rooster", which was on 519 where the Owl's Nest gun and archery shop is now. Hoot's Tavern is another one, where there were usually more people than teeth sitting at the bar.

Also, who can forget "The Hideaway" in the middle of nowhere in Greenwich Township? I think we started drinking there as sophomores in high school.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Anyone remember The Stopover in High Bridge?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Pat's Tavern (Mount Arlington), Rae Lynn's Log Cabin (used to have $1.99 breakfast after being out all night, this was how we would start all over again), Fuersteins, Time Out (Hopatcong). Not sure if any of them are even open anymore...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '14

Bryan,I am from Sussex county also. Agreed about the Fountain House .How about Greeks, and Boomers, There was a place in Layton too, but I can't remember the name.

colleen26 colleen26
Jul '14

Marz Bar in Phillipsburg is on Sitgreaves Street where the old Stateliner Pub used to be.

Toot's Tavern was on S. Main St. just up the hill south of the Free Bridge and is now Delahanty's Tavern.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Anyone remember the Warren House in Hackettstown?

Tina #1 Tina #1
Jul '14

@ Tina #1....The Warren House is now L.Davids or the former David's Country Inn. I can't recall it ever being really what I would call a dive bar. Now.. the former Central House..is a different story.

joyful joyful
Jul '14

Late 60 's early 70's the locals would be sitting on the steps of the Warren House @ 6:30 AM waiting for Clem to open up.

ignatz ignatz
Jul '14

Da Tavern.

fitter fitter
Jul '14

Anyone remember 5 Acres in White Township, just outside of Belvidere on Rt 46? Now it's just a flea market. And Island Park? And yet another bar (can't recall the name) that was walking distance from 5 Acres, on Titman Road? (yes, Titman Road is spelled correctly! :-) )

Robert Durana Robert Durana
Jul '14

Klees on 46 since the Breeze inn closed :)

skippy skippy
Jul '14

Remember Tony's on 206 next to Aunt Kates?

horse girl horse girl
Jul '14

Flannery's is on Titman road.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '14

Carolyn Carey, owner of Flannery's Tavern in Buttzville, passed away earlier this week.

RIP Carol, you were a great lady and you will be missed.

http://obits.lehighvalleylive.com/obituaries/etpa/obituary.aspx?n=carolyn-j-carey&pid=171752863

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

This thread is two years old, and still one of the funniest things I've ever read. Here's a few:
Gyp's Tavern-Route 206 Kittatinny Lake
Layton Hotel (although now fixed up)-Layton, NJ
3rd Base Pub-Branchville, NJ
Red Lion-Dingman's Ferry, PA
Hotel New Bauer-Port Jervis, NY
Hotel Carroll (called something else now)-Port Jervis, NY
Calamity Jane's (not sure what it's called now)-Port Jervis, NY
Main Street Lounge-Stroudsburg, PA

DiveyMcDivester
Aug '14

My Uncle Mac, who owns "Mac's Club Deuce", the oldest bar in South Beach, a true Dive Bar, turned 100 last week and still goes to work every day:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/crossfade/2014/09/mac-klein_club-deuce_100_birthday_interview_miami_2014.php

@ Rich ~ I have been in that bar several times in South Beach it is a great "dive" bar. I can't believe you Uncle is 100 you certainly can't tell from his photo. God Bless him!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '14

Any bar where the employees get bit by the patrons is a dive bar imo.

jerseycash5
Sep '14

Does anyone have information on the Ginmil?. It was a bar at 410 Mt. Arlington Blvd at the entrance to Bertrand Island at Lake Hopatcong

Larry Larry
Nov '14

Pat's, certainly

pmnsk pmnsk
Nov '14

the central house.the last time i was there the floors were ready to cave in..big holes in the walls..we would only go in there to buy beer(cases of beer not drink there) if all the other places were closed.then burn my clothes when i got home..

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

Does anyone remember the coronet bar & grill,or THE NET on sitgreaves st. in phillipsburg,nj? Tony Vinnick was the owner in the 70`s & some of the 80`s but I can`t remember the owners last name who bought it from Tony,his 1st name was bill,can anyone help me with that ? Tony passed away many yrs. ago but I lost touch with Bill in 1988-89. My email is blcstadt@gmail.com Bruce S. He probably passed away by now as he was probably in his late 60`s or early 70`s in 1988,we really had some good times from 1978-1988.

Bruce Stadtler Bruce Stadtler
Oct '15

Snack bar in the 08865

skippy skippy
Oct '15

Anderson Hotel bar rt 57
New Hampton inn. ?.. They still smoke in that dump!
Schooleys mt inn
Long valley inn
Brookside, Califon
River Styks "
The Little bar, mansfield
Marleys is def NOT a dive lots of families a givaway
That square cement block joint on 46 e near Peaquest

kevmo kevmo
Oct '15

Just reading through these counting how many of these I visited in my youth which of course was many years ago. Just some notes though:
I never considered the Richmond Hotel a dive because it had a really nice clean ladies room plus great food.
"Way back on the road to belvidere on the bend after the brothers of the heart there was a small gas station and bar" mentioned by CageAnimal was Mondo's which is also considered by some a classic "Old Man" bar.
Anyone remember Pappy's Road House? I wasn't sure if that was in Hopatcong or Byram. Used to go there to see a band called "Five Desperate Men."

Ydnew Ydnew
Oct '15

That was in Byram. I loved that place when I lived in Hopatcong

John C John C
Oct '15

Here is a picture of the Pequest Bend tavern Belvidere NJ.. This was also a gas station and picnic grove at one time. The place has been closed for quite a few years.

I noticed that the For Sale sign at Island Park is off the building now. Also, last Friday night 10/23- around 10p I noticed lights on in the inside of the bar/seating area- regular ceiling lights were on, plus a car outside of it (probably the person who was inside). First time I have seen light from that part of the building since they closed.

Wonder if they finally sold and maybe will have it back someday again?

Oct '15

TRA - I had heard that it was sold about a year ago. Not sure if that was just a rumor after reading your post. I was told that a woman bought it. I will ask around town and find out if anyone knows whats up.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

That will be interesting to hear if anyone knows anything, Calico.

I would imagine that the liquor license was part of that sale (if it was sold). Since the bar is located in White Twsp, will be interesting to see if that liquor license and the former Flannerys Tavern by the White Twsp School on "Titman Road", liquor license gets back into the hands of people who want to use it.

We could use another good dive bar again!

Oct '15

The last sale of that location was by the bank that owned it in June 2014 to a company called Whiskey River Associates with a Mountainside NJ address. The address in Mountainside is a gentleman from the shore that owns multiple investment properties around the state.

Has anyone been to the new incarnation of the old Landslide Saloon?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Whats going with the old Gunnars Landing tavern on Rt 46?

The Sportsman Bar on Titman Road was a great local bar 50 years ago . They served food there too. My parents actually ran it and years later it became a go go bar. Does anyone know what happened to Flannerys right down the road from the Sportsman Bar? It looks pretty vacant for a while now. Did someone finally buy it after the owner died?

Donna Marie Donna Marie
Dec '16

Flannery's long time owner Carol passed away a couple years ago. Her children live out of state and were not interested in running the bar. It's still for sale as far as I know.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

The Landslide Saloon was a great country western bar. The new owners have more rock bands playing than Country Western music. It seems to be attracting a new following of rock music.

Donna Marie Donna Marie
Dec '16

Does anyone know whatever happened to the Washington House on Route 31? I heard that the country club/ golf course across the street got the liquor license. Its been closed forever? And what came out of the Anderson Hotel? Did it finally sell?

Donna Marie Donna Marie
Dec '16

Which place was Washington House?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

Washington House right outside if Washington, NJ. There is a Shop-Rite across the street from it now. The Washington House was a big circle bar with food and popular back in the 80 ' s.

Donna Marie Donna Marie
Dec '16

Did anyone end up buying Island Park? I don't see a for sale sign anymore. We looked at the inside and saw a lot mold. I think they have some roof issues going on.

Donna Marie Donna Marie
Dec '16

What was the bar across from the jail?

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Island Park was sold, what the heck is going on there....I have no idea.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

Pepe and walts!!!! Oh boy... needed a secret code or something to get in...went once with a friend... small house , sticky bar.

Lisa 1 Lisa 1
Dec '16

Which are open today? Reminds me of dive bars of past, open on all holidays...

The snack bar in pburg

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Philbert's and Scotty's in Washington are open.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

Does anyone have a comment on the Net on sitgreaves st. in phillipsburg,nj had good music,great owners & a few fights & some beautiful women,it wasn`t very big but we had alot of fun !!! Email me about your experiences & what year did it close ? My email is blcstadt@gmail.com Bruce S also had great times on the pool table.

Jun '17

Anetts in netcong great bar great people and great food. Bernies not great. They treat you like you are their to steal a drink or two. Never a pleasant experience with the bartenders. I don't beleive any of them were the owners but not good on service.

Me Happy Me Happy
Jun '17

Anyone remember Dornich's Tavern in Brainards?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

Riverside Bar in Martins Creek, PA. Great food and drinks!!!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jun '17

There were 22 bars ON Lake Hopatcong back in the day.
Gin Mill was open 6 months and the Oyster Pub inside Bertrand Island, on the lake, was open 6 months, they shared a liquor license. Prior to those, The Villa served beer.
Rainbow Inn, Furersteins, Kelt's/Time Out/Sail Inn, Funhouse burned down many years ago, Upper Deck which was nice back then, but changed to dive bars since, Arrowcrest, Martinique, Pappy's, Northwood Inn, Tinys, Seymours Cellar (now Mason Street), Hectors, Smitty's (Marina), Charley's, Chabons, Ken's Boat House, Jefferson House (you can tell me its a restaurant: it's a freakin dive!) Pat's, Rooneys (now Pub 199), Lake End Inn, Village Barn, Hopatcong House.... just to name some for conversation sake. Maybe not all are dive bars, however, this is a basic ride around the lake, by vehicle, back in the day :)

New Hampton inn in Hampton off 31 in musconetcong river road

Skippy Skippy
Apr '19

Link, you are talking about my home town. I remember it well. Some of those were not on the lake such as Kelts Timeout, the Funhouse... You did forget one of the biggest bars/clubs on the lake The LightHouse. A good dive bar between Feursteins and the Upper Deck was the Log Cabin. Further down on Maxim Dr. past Kelts was Maxims. Then you had Governors INN soon to be the Boulevard Pub. Yeah, so many were there. No wonder I drink so much now!!

JB400 JB400
Apr '19

Skippy- you ever been there? I've ridden my bike (and driven) by it MANY times... but never went in... seems to be rarely open, and no one ever in there? Interesting tho, certainly looks to be the dive-iest place I've ever seen....

Apr '19

yeah years ago when I lived there - I worked in Branchburg and it was half way home for me - used to stop in for trivia night on occasion.
real shot and beer joint - Ernie and Doms pizza on 31 used to deliver there several times a night. It was great

skippy skippy
Apr '19

How's the large Sports Bar on Rt. 31, closer to Rt. 46 (than Rt. 57)?

It's in Oxford or Washington.

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '19

The Governors Inn on Lake Hopatcong a dive bar ? It wasn't in the late 70s when I went to it to see excellent bands like Jersey Central . A dive bar was going into the Meadow View Inn in Great Meadows back in the late 70s where old Tony and Kay held forth along with a decrepit fat old german shepard mix dog named Rennie . I swear you could walk in that bar a thousand times and that dog would always bark at you with Tony or Kay yelling Rennie shut up ! NOW THAT'S A REAL DIVE BAR !

Why did we go there ? It was 25 or 30 cents for a Bud draft - 50 cents for a mug with a decent pool table and shuffle alley bowling machine for 25 cents per game . You'll never get those days back in these times of PC idiocy gone wild so remember them fondly .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Apr '19

Skip-

I can't verify, because I haven't gone in there at all, even a weekend, but I don't think it's like that anymore....

They actually DO have a Facebook page tho! I'm shocked to see it's being posted on fairly regularly.... the wife & I will have to make a point of braving the place one night lol

Apr '19

yeah I am talking 10 years ago - they used to have outdoor parties in the back too.
good times

skippy skippy
Apr '19

Hack - Sports Scene in Washington is far from a dive. It's actually quite nice inside.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Sports Scene in Washington is more of a dump than a dive - everything is still the same from fricking 30 years ago ! Not good when that means old square 4:3 tvs and chairs built into the bar that are stuck and no longer rotate . That place is in dire need of an upgrade ! The real bowling alley dive bar back in the day was in front of the Ledgewood Circle bowling alley called the Caberet .

You could actually see people bowling on the lanes through a small window on a back door . Popular 70s bar bands like Flossie and Triad played there . I remember going there , bowling a few frames with friends on a weekday , then going back to the bar to dance and enjoy the band . You can't do that today anywhere !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Apr '19

rudys bar just a bit off 42 street in nyc.still going strong.voted one of the top five dive bars in nyc.hot dogs and rolling rocks.seats covered in red duck tape from top to bottom.what a collection of people

Spent many ohours at Rudys. Great place to have a few cheap quick beers before hopping on the bus at Port Authority.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '19

Aside from the dive bars, where ARE the great bars to go to these days, that have a band? thanks.

Back in the day, Governor's Inn (Lake Hopatcong), The Lighthouse (Lake Hopatcong), The Final Exam (Randolph), The Nook (Hackettstown), The Rock Pile (Stanhope) were very great and fun nightclubs to go to. I enjoyed these clubs from age 18 to 23, then I really got tired of the "bar scene"!

Apr '19

the viking inn was a good place, divey-like but very comfortable, miss it

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Apr '19

I used to go to the Lighthouse back in the day. I remember seeing the Nerds and Crystal Ship play there there. Does anyone remember the Fireside in Denville ?

Bobbob Bobbob
Apr '19

My first "legal" drink was at the Fireside in Denville..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '19

Been to the Fireside, great way/place to see bands, on stage behind bar. Didn’t check ID back in mid 80’s.
Had no clue theres a Hampton Inn off 31, never had a reason to go that way, maybe now....

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '19

Bands:

Bea McNally's
American Spirits Roadhouse
Pattenburg House
O'Reilly's (Newton)
Luigi's (sometimes)
Stanhope House (original music, not cover bands)
Hunter's Lodge (sometimes)
Draught House (in summer, in the back)

Smaller groups (solo/duo, acoustic):

Marley's
Panther Pub
Luigi's has a jazz trio on wednesdays
Polo's
Log Cabin Inn

Apr '19

Live music also at:

Rock Creek Tavern
Brass Rail
Mariana's
Flynn's (summer - outdoors)
Sand Bar

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

No one mentioned the champion of all dive bars. I'm not sure but I think it was called Morgans. It was on rt.46 west of the belvidere diner. It's not there anymore but it belongs in the dive bar hall of fame.Went there one time while in high school with several freinds. they were all big ,ugly and mean, dressed in camo and with beards. That was just the women.

Calico696:

what towns are the bars you listed in? Thanks.

Rock Creek Tavern
Brass Rail
Mariana's
Flynn's (summer - outdoors)
Sand Bar

Apr '19

Rock Creek Tavern - Belvidere Road, Harmony Township
Brass Rail - Belvidere Road, Lopatcong Township
Mariana's - Stockton Street, P'burg
Flynn's (summer - outdoors) - Pursel Street, P'burg
Sand Bar - Union Square, P'burg

ianimal ianimal
Apr '19

thank you. I never knew that P'burg was a hopping town!

Apr '19

Thanks ianimal.

Hackresident - Flynn's has their outdoor music under a pavilion on Fridays starting around 6:30 and going until 9:30 (noise ordinance). I think they open around 4:30. This goes from late May until September. The most popular local bands play there. It's a fun time and family friendly. People from 2 to 80 are there dancing and having a good time. The food is decent and food and drink are reasonably priced. It does get quite crowded though, so you need to get there early to get a table.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

blue bird-46, Budd Lake
fun in the late 70's early 80's
did pax amicus show (chorus) funny girl
after rehearsals and shows we partied there
the place was underground for the most part
been abandoned for years

lisa1
Apr '19

Did we forget The Stanhope House that's still around? (with their too-high cover charge ($15-20) to see local bands.

Apr '19

JR mentioned the Stanhope house above. Most of the bands that play at the Stanhope House are not local.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

"Most of the bands that play at the Stanhope House are not local."

That's not quite correct; some national acts do go thru, alot of the bands that play ARE from the metro area; it's just that it's all ORIGINAL music, no covers (except on open mic/blues jam nights).

And I forgot to mention in my list (altho I DID mention it WAY above):
Bernie's Hillside in Chester. All local bands. No food. It's music and alcohol only.

Apr '19

JR - I guess our definition of local bands is different. To me, a local band is a band with members that live in the general area of the locations they play at. Bands that don't have "albums" and tour out of state etc.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Well, local to me could mean metro area- plenty of bands that play Stanhope House don't have albums or tour out of the metro area. For sure quite a few do... but I've seen plenty of local talent there, assuming local doesn't mean only Warren and Sussex counties. One of my friends played there and he's from Budd Lake. The SH "house band"- the All-Star Rhythm & Blues Revue, are all local guys, they play there, and they do play all covers.

Just another venue for (usually) good live music, with local bands s well as national acts.

Apr '19

@ Bernie's you can hear good music there.

Apr '19

The Blue Bird Inn in Budd Lake, NJ.... complete DUMP of a place with a very dedicated clientele. Closed 5 years after I quit drinking in 85.... and was demolished just last week. Sad to see it go in a way... it was an icon.

Larry B. Larry B.
Jan '20

All the bars in this area are low end.

ABundy ABundy
Jan '20

Garth Brooks just had a Dive Bar Tour, and he played at a bar called Prospectors in Mt. Laurel. Did anyone go to that w/ any pictures?

Jan '20

Does anybody remember Mothers on the circle in Easton,Pa? And does anybody remember 2 bars on Main st. in Phillipsburg that closed down many yrs ago near the Net that had alot of fights in the bars & in the back roads behind the bars,actually the one bar was on a corner on Sitgreaves st behind the one on Main st. does anybody remember a bar called The Way We We`re in Bloomsbury about a mile from the truck stop,it had mostly 60s music & a dancer once in awhile,& is it still there?A bar I went to a couple of times in the 80`s a couple of times I considered a dive was called Millers off of rt 31 in Annandale,NJ

Jun '20

Mother's in Easton is still there. Miller's Tavern is now Cryan's Tavern. I never considered Miller's a dive and Cryan's certainly is not a dive either.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '20

Thanks for the info about Mothers & Millers,we liked Mothers the couple dozen times we went in the 80`s,I wondered about Millers because it was there a long time & it was near my High School called North Hunterdon & it always seemed full & I took a girl there in the mid 80`s to see what it was like & maybe it was the day we went,on a Fri.but it seemed kind of quiet & about 20 people there but the funny thing was the cheerleaders from North who put down having a drink or going to parties was beneath them but there was 3 or 4 there drinking pretty good for the 3 hrs we we`re there.I will take your word for it & believe you when you say it was not a dive,I guess you sometimes can`t judge by one visit. Thanks Calico696

Jun '21

Five points in Bangor Pa rebuilt and looks much better. Food prices are kind of high but food good. Many beers on tap. Nice deck. Not really a dive any more.

John C John C
Jun '21

Does anyone remember "Pappy's Roadhouse"? My band would play there sometimes and wow! What a wild place, back in the '80s. Though, I met the prettiest girl ever, in that bar.

Songs4film Songs4film
Nov '21

Going back a few years I remember

Pep & Walts in Liberty Twp.
Nykun's in Great Meadows has a bar in the back
The Outpost in Independence Twp.
The Casino at Mt. Lake
The Beach Bar at Mt. Lake

Skipper
Nov '21

Back in the early 70's New Jersey youths sometimes traveled to New York where the minimum age for drinking was 18. We traveled to Greenwood Lake a couple of times to go to Mothers - a fairly large club with several rooms with different bands. It impressed my 18 year old mind. I remember as being something like PG-rated Porky's.
Tried to find it in the mid 1970's but it was gone.

Greenie Greenie
Nov '21

I remember Pappy’s Roadhouse as being on Lake Hopatcong.

Zipp
Nov '21

Before it was Pep and Walt's, it was Alex's Tavern. Beer, whiskey, pickled eggs, and pig knuckles. My grandfather owned the bar back then. There were probably 6 or more bars within the area catering to the local Farmers working the muck. Felix's, Nykuns, Meadow View, Tavern Rest, Riviera, Weber's, Bugsy's. I'm sure there were more!

Hickory Dog
Nov '21

Hickory.
Newer to the area and not familiar with any of those stops, but some of the names sound interesting.
Must have been some good times.

Stymie Stymie
Nov '21

very cool pic . any more ?

rob the roofer rob the roofer
Nov '21

Does Nykun's still have the bar? Been many years since I've been out west.

Eye4anEye Eye4anEye
Nov '21

also cunninghams tavern on main st in hacketstown.where the little park is now

bar is still in Nykuns but not used

rob the roofer rob the roofer
Nov '21

Kelsey Grammer makes an appearance at Cryan's Tavern in Annandale to promote his Catskills brewery Faith American Brewing Company... pretty cool.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/western-newjersey/kelsey-grammer-gives-fans-reason-for-cheers-in-visit-to-tavern-in-hunterdon-county/article_38956d96-4744-11ec-9db8-b7b9aff653c0.html

ianimal ianimal
Nov '21

Franks Chicken House.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Nov '21

The Central House on Main Street.

Flynn's Tavern in Chatham back in the 70's-80's was a total dive. legend has it someone was hit in the head with a brick and died. Its now some lame yuppy bar with a new name.

Central House-- Bill D., Jackpot Ryan, shuffleboard, St. Pat's Day with dumbwaiter in use. great fun!

ole' timer
January 30th

Gavin, that sounds like a police blotter clipping... it only becomes "legend" if the guy is still there, knocking bottles over at night, lol.

I believe the Outpost was first Zig & George's.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.