Comcast Weather Channel - no longer forecasts for our area?

So I turn on TWC, and wait for our local on the eights, and now instead of being the forecast for Port Murray that I always see, it's a national, region-by-region overview. Anyone else notice this or know what is going on?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

I have the wether cahnnel on my computer and can dial in on Hackettstown immediately. Its alot easier then waiting for it on TV.

Christine Christine
Jan '12

Did you try Channel 33? I have noticed that the HD channel doesn't have our local weather, but Channel 33 does.

Just Saying... Just Saying...
Jan '12

Try 101.

Shop Rat Shop Rat
Jan '12

I am watching Channel 101, and it has our local weather report.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '12

Yes, 101 is the one to watch!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '12

Ohhh...never saw 101. I'll have to check it out. Thanks! :)

Just Saying... Just Saying...
Jan '12

815 is HD and does not show local. It sort of scans the country. The others do show local.

Scienceisyourfriend
Jan '12

Just saw local weather about 30 minutes ago on channel 33.

We use 101 as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

It must the HD Channel I was watching. 33 and 101 here I come.

You guys know the answers to EVERYTHING!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

weather.gov plug in your zip code and get the weather for your area, not Newark, or some other place. Without the hype of accuweather or inaccuracy of TWC. Wanna know how much a little difference in location makes? It was a half degree BELOW zero at my house down in the valley at 7:30 this morning. I think everywhere else was in the teens.

Bruin Bruin
Jan '12

The Weather Channel is a National channel. NOT a Comcast channel The HD (815, 237) is the same as the regular (33) just HD picture quality. Channel 101 is Weatherscan

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jan '12

I am confused. Is the weather on comcast national or local and is national weather comcast and is weatherscan weather.com weather channel whether or not I am watching?

Does partly cloudy mean that "that part up above your head will be totally cloudy?

Why is there air?

Has football started yet?

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jan '12

There is also an interesting on-line site: http://www.wunderground.com.

Interesting thing about this site is that you can select conditions and forecast for Hackettstown and then view the reports from a number of personal and official weather stations scattered around the area. My backyard station reports as Independence Township (KNJINDEP2). Under the banner "Hackettstown Weather at a Glance" there is a Station Select button. You can look at different stations and see the variations, such as temperature vs elevation. There is a table of current reports from all area stations at the bottom of the page.

Richard Richard
Jan '12

what channel can i find the all-bryan-weather report on?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '12

BD,

That would be HackettstownLife.com channel.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '12

Richard, nice to meet you my fellow weather nut! My station at wunderground.com is KNJWASHI3. Just enter Califon, NJ into the local weather search window (or zip code 07830) and my station should pop up. I just checked out your station, but you have nothing listed under 'station hardware'. What type of station is yours?

Bruin Bruin
Jan '12

The comcast guy just told me that if you have cable, you will get a local forcast for the nearest town that the comcast or cable office is located (for Hackettstown that would be Port Murray which is the location of the comcast office) If you have Dish, then you will receive the generic or National feed direct from the weather channel. Same with Channel 101, you will only receive this info from the cable company, not on dish.

John C John C
Jan '12

All I know is when I found the 101 channel, I was like, "Where has THIS been all my life?" Especially in the Summertime when we have very severe lines of storms blasting through. It would always pi$$ me off to no end, when all I needed to know was if I should be concerned that a tornado was rumbling through and had to wait until stupid freakin' Storm Stories was over.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '12

TWO people with backyard weather stations!? Holy cow. We are well served in our area. Cool.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '12

If you go to Wunderground.com, you can see there are about a dozen of us that publish our data online in the immediate area. I have rapidfire updates, meaning the data updates approximately every 2.5 seconds. You can actually see the wind changing speeds and/or direction nearly in real time.

Bruin Bruin
Jan '12

Bruin, It's a Davis Vantage Pro station.

Richard Richard
Jan '12

When only the best will do Richard! I have the Davis Vantage Pro2. You can update your wunderground user profile to reflect your hardware. Lets other weather trackers know you have high quality accurate equipment, not some cheap junk!

Bruin Bruin
Jan '12

I am also having this problem in Morgantown WV. Despite being on chat with comcast they would NOT tell me the truth. I suspect that Comcast has cut ties with the local weather version of the Weather Channel so they can pay for the GE share of NBC television.

The HD version of the weather channel is working but no local forecast. Not the best way to treat your customers!

Jean

Q: Where is my "Local On The 8s" forecast on The Weather Channel HD?

A: The technology to produce a detailed Local On The 8s in High Definition is currently in development. In the interim, please watch your Local on the 8s on The Weather Channel standard definition channel.

Schmedley Wilcox Schmedley Wilcox
Feb '13

Who do I get hold of about weather channels to complain in flint,mi 33 is the same as 293 wjrt abc stinks

rick caraway rick caraway
Nov '13

We were used to getting our weather relative to Bad Axe or Pigeon.

Now we get Flint's weather forecast.

What happened and help us get back to the way it was on Channel 101.

Norm Clark
Jul '16

what the hell happened to the weather channel 101 on Comcast ????.....I pay a lot of $$$$ for cable !!!! why do you change things and not let customers know !! oh, and by the way I live in Philadelphia and this channel 101 is not showing anything but a comment !!!!!!!!!!

Jo Jo Jo Jo
Nov '17

Re: Comcast Weather Channel - no longer forecasts for our area?

I still use the rock for my weather info. Always correct.

There was a message scrolling on the Weather Channel last month about this.

Blackcat Blackcat
Nov '17

Do you remember what the message said Blackcat?

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Nov '17

The message said "Tune to The Weathe Channel or your local broadcaster for local and national weather information."

I called Comcast and they said that weatherscan (101) did not renew their contract with them. I'm bummed.

I am bummed too. That was the first channel I turned on in the morning.We liked the music that they played in the background.

Nov '17

Ditto Mansfield Mama ~ bummer

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Nov '17

Comcast said that weatherscan did not review their contract with them. More likely they asked Comcast for a smalll increase per subscriber and Comcast said no or Comcast dropped them to save money and not pass that saving onto the subscriber.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '17

The 101 channel weather is gone and no longer there just got off the phone with Comcast and they will not be doing the local weather on 101 on the regular boxes you can get it if you up grade to the digital boxes this was a bad move for Comcast I hope they get flooded with calls and emails

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '17

"Comcast said that weatherscan did not review their contract with them. More likely they asked Comcast for a smalll increase per subscriber and Comcast said no or Comcast dropped them to save money and not pass that saving onto the subscriber."

That's Comcast. Hate 'em. Have been researching ways to drop cable. We don't watch much TV (very little), but the few shows we watch we really like. Looking into going a la cart with a Roku box or similar.... I'll keep Comcast internet... altho I have been told by a relative if you drop Comcast cable and keep their internet, they RAISE your internet price. They really are a bastard company.

[not interesting in anything with a dish, I don't what little watching enjoyment we get to be affected by weather]

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '17

I really thought I’d miss TWC when we dropped Comcast cable and switched to Amazon Fire TV.
I was totally wrong.
I don’t miss the insanely expensive bill. I can’t believe people still pay for cable.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

comcast IS NBC, weather channel, weatherscan.
they have to renew with themselves?

how does amazon fire tv work? do you still get things like nfl, nickelodeon and animal planet? I really need to make a switch, our bill is outrageous with comcast.

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Nov '17

Is there any replacement channel on Comcast for local weather?

MTSO - As someone else mentioned, just turn to The Weather Channel. It has a local forecast scrolling on the bottom.

Why do you need weather on TV? Why not just go to the NOAA or AccuWeather website?

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

The "NWS Now" app is outstanding. Who needs websites?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '17

Me! I don't have a smart phone. I am anti-Zombie. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

Whip,

I think you are right!

Talked to a representative and he said Comcast has been flooded with calls about taking the Weather Scan Local off. He also said they are in negotiations with the parent The Weather Channel to bring it back. He said if Comcast thought it was permanent, they would have deleted the channel (101). So don't panic. There may be hope. As for the need for the channel, it is the only place to get weather in seconds. I don't want to see the history of tornados or gem prospecting, or have to wait a half or whole hour to get a full local forecast. And NO the scroll on the bottom just doesn't give you enough info.

USAfirst USAfirst
Nov '17

Agree totally!!!

Nov '17

Doesn't Comcast own the weather channel?

Bug3
Nov '17

ibm owns the weather channel

ken e
Nov '17

Pumpkin43, you load apps to watch virtually whatever you want. The closest app to watching cable is the Sony Playstation Vue. You dont need a console to use it. Within Playstation Vue there are all the channels we need, including NBC, ABC, CBS, NFL network, Science Channel, YES, etc. I’m sure you can get the full line up with a little googling.
Other apps we added were The Weather Network, netflix, YouTube, with endless other possibilities. The Alexa remote allows me to speak “play Maroon 5” and away it plays.
We love it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '17

I called immediately and made a formal complaint with Comcast. I suggest everybody commenting here do the same. There is also a phone number on your bill for the B.P.U to call (800-624-0331 and make a formal complaint with them. This station (101) is a public service and they have a responsibility to provide this service to the general public.

hammer hammer
Nov '17

IBM owns the weather channel website..comcast owns the channel

Bug3
Nov '17

Why has Channel 101 gone inactive? It now says to tune to the weather channel for local forecasts.

Janeen Janeen
Nov '17

Janeen,

Scroll up a big and start reading the posts from a few days ago, you will get alot of info that will answer your question. Short answer, Comcast didnt want to pay the price to renew the channel.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Nov '17

Yesterday I called Comcast's executive office in Philadelphia.

The phone number I used is... 1 215 286-1700

When I called the number on my bill, the person answering the phone had no clue what I was talking about.

I think she was from a foreign country.

paul herman paul herman
Nov '17

BRING BACK WEATHERSCAN!

Lila Bricklin Lila Bricklin
Nov '17

I highly doubt this channel qualified as a public service and that Comcast has an obligation to provide it. That's a stretch.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Nov '17

This is totally ridiculous. Cable is soo much and they can provide the weather channel. Comcast is so bad it's a joke.

Mad at Comcast Mad at Comcast
Nov '17

I loved Channel 101. Not just for weather in a minute but loved the music. No warning just pulled. The Weather Channel is not a good substitute. I’m going to drop Comcast if it doesn’t come back.

Victor Victor
Nov '17

It is now Monday, November 27th, 2017, 21 days and counting since Comcast took channel 101, Weatherscan off the air.

The way I see it....

Comcast will never bring this channel back.

The bigwigs at Comcast probably feel only 8% of their customers care about this channel and sooner or later we will all go quietly away.

WELL, I for one readjusted and lowered my bill a few dollars by dropping movie channels I don't watch.

The only way Comcast will ever react is when they see other customers do the same thing.

Thank you, Comcast, I should have dropped these movie channels years ago!!

Paul Herman Paul Herman
Nov '17

As of today, December 6th, 2017, exactly 30 days since the Weatherscan channel was taken away, channel 101 has disappeared.

It goes from channel 100 to 102.

So any chance of Comcast returning Weatherscan is non-existent.

Just like I figured.

Thank you Comcast.

Good looking out!

Bah Humbug to all of us!!

paul herman paul herman
Dec '17

well, they need the bandwidth for what, 6? shopping channels so that they can scam our aunts out of their social security.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Dec '17

I used to fall asleep to the Weather Scan in college because the music was pretty soothing. My friend and I would come up with names for each of the songs or just sit there and talk about what we imagined when we listened to them. I promise, no drugs were involved!

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Dec '17

The music 101 channel played, was the sleep sedative, my daughter HAD TO HAVE on as she slept when she was little. God forbid we shut the weather channel off, she would scream..... "Leave It ON!" "Or I think I have to Throw Up!"

.......... Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ............

Embryodad Embryodad
Dec '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.