Rutgers Football

Record 8-3, tied 1st place Big East Conference
Possible BCS/Orange Bowl invite with win next week over UConn.

Local players - Michael Burton FB - Chester/Long Valley
"Jersey" Joe Martinek FB/RB - Hopatcong

Go Rut!

GoRut
Nov '11

I've noticed a black (if I remember it correctly) van with a big Rutgers logo around town. Anyone know what the van is all about? Is it just a local and loyal fan or is Rutgers going around here to drum up some more fans? As an alum, I'm curious.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '11

Its a red van & he is a local fan.

GoRut
Nov '11

That's a serious fan. Pretty cool!

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '11

I am beyond excited for this week's game. I dislike UConn almost as much as I love Rutgers.

NOW, they are coming out of the woodwork.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '11

Just like 2006 CP. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

Rutgers Football, come on man. "Lets Go Mountaineers"

Kevin Binnie Kevin Binnie
Nov '11

Yep, Calico.

TSA Tigers could have won the Big Least this year.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '11

CP - There is no argument that the Big East is weak. I think it is death, taxes, and the Big East being a subpar football conference are the only certainties in life. That being said, it is generally exciting when Rutgers is doing well, especially for those alumni who spent the better part of four years going to games when the outcome was all but a forgone conclusion. As a Rutgers alum and passionate supporter of the football team, I am glad when the periodic rise in support occurs, albeit every few years.

I assume you are also an alum? Your "coming out of the woodwork" statement indicates that you have been a fan for quite some time...

Also, you should consult with Metsman before you go making bold statements like the TSA is competent enough to put together that dominant a team - I am sure he has a different opinion ;)

Clyde,

TSA Tigers clinic team was undefeated this year. I think that it's pretty impressive for a bunch of ten year olds. I wish my son's team had a better record.

tigerlover
Nov '11

Looks like the "woodwork" has closed up for yet another season

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '11

Rutgers definitely crapped the bed this weekend. Guessing they'll get invited to the Pinstripe Bowl. If anyone from the woodwork is interested, we should have some sort of HL gathering. I have plenty of Rutgers Football outfits if the moths ate yours.

Another internet tough guy...

GoRut
Nov '11

GoRut - Hope your message wasn't intended for me. My last message was tongue in cheek, and if nothing else, a dig at CP for knocking fair weather Rutgers fans. If you took it as me knocking Rutgers fans or the football team, I chose the wrong words. I would love to find other Rutgers fans to cheer (and cry) with.

Rutgers '07 alum here. Attended Rutgers during the great season of Ray Rice and Brian Leonard among others. Try to make at least one game a season. Rutgers probably has a whole before it gets back to National spotlight caliber

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
Nov '11

CR37 - no not you.

GoRut
Nov '11

This thread is just what I am talking about. All season long no mention of RU football. Then for 1 week they have a chance to tie for Big Least title ( with 30k other BL teams) and suddenly a thread shows up. I will give Compsharp credit, because he has brought up RU albeit in the NFL thread, but he has. Yes, CR37 I was knocking the fair weather/ bandwagon fans. But at least you came on and said what happened this weekend. GoRut with not even one word about the game. All my comments were all said in fun, but I do stand behind them.

emaxx, after Saturday's debacle that van is NOW BLACK lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '11

I learned a long time ago not to talk about sex, religion, politics, or Rutgers football. Up until this post, I had no idea if there was anyone else out there like me. I have had to tone down my discussions about the team in fear that I would become apoplectic. I started at Rutgers the year Greg Schiano started as HC, and it has been a roller coaster ride since those "It's Time" billboards went up in 2001. I can't afford blood pressure medication this early, so I try to remain calm about the Jekyll and Hyde of college football.

CP - your comments were taken as being in fun, and I was definitely playing along. I wish there was a bigger following in NJ for the Scarlet Knights, and will make sure to start the Rutgers 2012 thread when practice opens up in the spring! Maybe we can build some steam for next year.

CR37 I knew you were just having fun with my comments. But GoRut is the type of fan, that makes me not like RU. The ONE year they were good everywhere you went everyone was all RU all the time. Those same bandwagon fans were back last week, with their chest stuck out, talking BCS Bowl. I did go to the West Va. game this year in the snow. I will now post what GoRut failed to post this week for him: lmao

Record 8-4, tied 4th place Big Least Conference
Possible Pinstripe Bowl invite after last week's choke job against UConn.

Local players - Michael Burton FB - Chester/Long Valley
"Jersey" Joe Martinek FB/RB - Hopatcong

SEE YOU AT YANKEE STADIUM

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '11

Ah now CP I've brought up RU football in other threads besides the NFL one over the years ...

Computer Sharp Computer Sharp
Nov '11

RU football is at their all time high point. Enjoy it while it lasts. I saw somewhere that the Knights could go to the Pinstripe Bowl.I can still remember the Garden State Bowl; our first bowl game and then the long drought.
It wasn't that long ago that RU was playing Princetown,Bucknell, Lafayette, etc. in front of 18k fans. The programs turn around has been miraculous to older alums.

*I still have a piece of the wooden goal post when RU beat Harvard(from my Dad).Apparently Harvard was beating on us over the years prior to that game.

Bob R.
Nov '11

State schools (NJ, PA, NY, or any) shouldn't be involved in D1 football. No long term good comes from it academically or financially.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '11

Rutgers is attempting to drum up interest for their bowl game. Giving all full time students free tickets to the game. It would be very sad if Iowa State had more fans at the game than RU, considering it is at Yankee Stadium. The Cyclones gave Oklahoma State their only loss of the year, so they are certainly not a push over. If RU brings the team that beat Cincy and not the team that stayed at the hotel against UConn, we should win.

I am sure there are a lot of people who don't care, but for those that do, this is definitely an opportunity to show your support.

Go Knights!!

i see the RU red van in town is for sale, ready to hitch-up the weenie wagon and tailgate!!!!

weedwacker weedwacker
Dec '11

I agree with Tigerlover... TSA Clinic was AWESOME this past season, anyone that had a chance to see them play could appreciate their level , commitment and pasion for the game!!. They are the future of the sport in town and should be recognized as such!!!

Hackettstown mom Hackettstown mom
Dec '11

Hackettstown mom? What does that have to do with the thread's subject, which is Rutgers Football? I only mentioned the TSA, as a knock on Rutgers football and the Big East Conference, saying a youth football team could have won the conference.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '11

Clyde, then I agree with you... too much noice for one good season.

Hackettstown mom Hackettstown mom
Dec '11

Looks like the Happy Hour was a success ;)

GoRut, thanks for proving my point. When RU was tied for first ( albeit 1 week) you started a thread talking BCS Orange bowl, naming local players. Well it was Nov 26 when RU blew all that by being blasted by UCONN. Today is Dec. 9th and not a peep out of you about that game. As I said above: Looks like the "woodwork" has closed up for yet another season.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '11

Re: Rutgers Football

I got 8 tickets to the Pinstripe Bowl - what you got Clyde?

GoRut
Dec '11

Its a sad state of affairs, when someone brags that they have 8 tickets to........ The Pinstripe Bowl. CR37, even you have to be laughing at that one lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '11

http://www.nj.com/starledger/pdf/sunday.pdf

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '11

Frankly, I am jealous about the tickets. I can't seem to convince my pregnant wife that going to the game is at least as important as the birth of our first child. If this child is born on 12/30, we are naming him/her Pinstripe.

As for the article, I am not surprised that the stadium expansion is not panning out. I am interested in (and currently searching for) information on enrollment numbers over the same period. For many big schools (West Virginia is a glaring example), interest in the school is at least proportional to the quality of the athletics department. Want to see if more students are choosing RU because the football team's quasi success has made RU a viable option for college-bound students.

I hope so, anyway. :)

I think it's sad that some students will seriously consider the school's football program (or any of its sports program for that matter) when electing which school to go to unless they will be actively involved in that sports program.

University (and any school) should be #1 Education #2 Quality of Life #3 Reputation #4 Future Potential among other things... Sports should be down near a 10 somewhere. Sports should only really be there for entertainment value (pretty much what other sports are), not to depend your livelihood on it. If you're not a sports program, going to Notre Dame just because it has a good football program isn't going to give you an edge in life...

Dec '11

Rutgers football sucked harder than a Dyson when I was there. It was amazing the privileges and preferential treatment the football team was given. While I think such things as an R.U. van cool, I still can't seem to get interested in the team (even during the Ray Rice time period.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '11

CR37

I am a New Jersey native that went to WVU. Football had absolutely nothing to do with my decision to attend. I went to visit the school with my girlfriend just because I would be excused from school and fell head over heals in love with Morgantown almost instantly. It was also cheaper for me to go out of state to WVU then to go in state to Rutgers, so my parents were all for it. That is no longer the case, the cost of both schools is around $24-25K a year.

I didn't know how awesome WVU tailgating and football were until I attended my first game. Rutgers just does not compare. (sorry)

WVU's athletic programs are completely self-sefficient, no draw from tuition.

When I was there there were 60K people living in Morgantown, 36K of them were students. On game day the town is empty, everyone is at the game. It is a very friendly town (except if you are Denis Miller). I don't think the same school spirit/commaraderie can exist in a large town like New Brunswick.

I am not slamming Rutgers in any way. I have a lot of friends that went there and we still get together to watch the game. This year's game was especially fun. :-)

Not sure if I answered any of your ponderings but always love a chance to talk WVU.

Nutmeg
Dec '11

Nutmeg - I could never say with a straight face that Rutgers competes with WVU on a number of facets, except academics. I point to West Virginia as an example of a school that would have a very different student profile if the athletic history did not exist. The scene you describe is one that I would compare to Penn State. Both are small(ish) towns that are exist because of the school. There is a sense of community, and that sense of community is, at least in part, built around a foundation of football. If football were never at these schools, I do not think the communities would be as strong. And I do not think that the out of state student population would be even close to their current levels.

On the flip side, Rutgers' sense of community (if you can call it that) is contained largely to the students, and does not include the residents. New Brunswick is a city with a school, not a school that comprises the city. This will probably never change. Rutgers will always have students, students who live very close to home and have many things competing for their time and attention. On a fall Saturday, I can go home to visit my parents, travel to Philly or NYC to do just about anything, or attend a football game that is pinning a mediocre to good Rutgers team against a school I have never heard of before. Many students will opt for something else. As Rutgers improves, football games become more attractive to attend, drawing more fans. These fans, however, need to feel a sense of community to their school and football team to "weather the storm" once the team is underperforming. Because Rutgers does not have the winning history of WVU, PSU, etc etc, it is difficult to retain the fan base for more than a few years. Sad, but true.

If Rutgers wins 10 games a year for the next 10 years, things may change. Until then, threads like this will exist, where some people show support for RU, others complain that the fans are fair weather fans, and we all realize that Rutgers is probably trying really hard to be something it isn't...at least yet.

The Rutgers van is $2000 obo by the way.

Ok, I think I misunderstood your post. I thought your were saying students pick schools like WVU solely because of the football program.

I do root for Rutgers, as long as they are not playing WVU. The van is really cool, btw. If you paint it Blue and Gold I will buy it for my daughter to take to school next fall. :-)

Nutmeg
Dec '11

Nutmeg - I was kind of saying that. My overall opinion is that students are attracted to schools for a variety of reasons, and that WVU is in the category of schools that are attractive because of a strong athletic program and an enthusiastic fan base. Schools like WVU aren't drawing as many out of state students if their athletic program did not have the history of winning. As beautiful as Morgantown is, it would not have the same draw if their football team wasn't pretty good every year. Not everyone is at WVU because of Steve Slaton, Pat White, Noel Devine, and Owen Schmitt, but I would wager that a good number are (whether they realize it or not).

Oh, and the van is not mine. I am just sad that my wife is rational and won't justify it as a purchase we NEED to make ;)

Maybe it is a guy/girl thing, athletics really had no impact on my decision. It was about the money, I believe it was 6-8Kcheaper then Rutgers at the time. Eight people from my very small graduating class went to WVU. I will have to ask the guys next time we talk what their reason for choosing WVU was. I don't know the history of the program like I should.

While I certainly was not there for any of the above mentioned players, I did happen to meet one player in particular that I really liked, I even married him. :-)

Put the 2K in your little Scarlet Knights college fund, time goes so much faster then you can ever imagine.

Nutmeg
Dec '11

I will try my best to keep from buying the van. But I feel like this will be one of those moments I look back at and say "Junior, at about the time you were born, I had the opportunity to buy the most spectacular vehicle not in a Back to the Future movie."

To me this puts in all in perspective. It gives me faith that it isn’t all about winning on the field, it’s about winning in life. This is the kind of player I want to see when I go to a Rutgers game. These are the kind of athletes Schiano and other coaches bring to Rutgers. As one of the comments says, “who cares about National Championships”.
As far as the Pinstripe Bowl being a big deal, ask Eric if he thinks it's a big deal!

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/12/rutgers_player_eric_legrand_on.html

Go Knights

RutgersRah
Dec '11

Article from SI.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/12/20/moment.of.year/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf3_a2

Go Knights

RutgersRah
Dec '11

I love it. LOVE IT.

So, wasn't this one of the best ever years for Rutgers Football ? I put it around maybe 5th best ? Beating Iowa St. convincingly was a great win for the program. Now if we could only find a way to win the Big East; of course if every good team leaves the Big East we can win maybe by default. Go RU.

Bob R.
Jan '12

I will say that success is fairly relative, as Rutgers has had undefeated seasons in past, albeit against lower-level teams. I will say that this year was somewhat disappointing, as Rutgers lost two very close games to UNC and Louisville. Both were two point losses that should have been victories. They had their chances to beat West Virginia, and gave that game away. They did not show up for the UConn game. I am not saying they should have been undefeated, but they should have at least beaten Louisville and UConn. Wins against either team likely puts them in the Orange Bowl.

As for the win over Iowa State, many NJ residents/Rutgers fans will say that the win against Iowa State was great because Iowa State beat Oklahoma State, arguably the second best team in the country. However, Iowa State is mediocre at best, and the game was a must win for RU. By winning, most football analysts would say that Rutgers did what they should have done. Losing that game is catastrophic, mainly because of the low opinion most have of Iowa State across the country.

In any event, the win gives Rutgers good momentum going into next year. Aside from Sanu's decision to go to the NFL, Rutgers is set up to be at least as good next year (at least on paper). Go Knights!

So it looks like our coach is headed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. We were poised to have our best signing class to date, and now that will probably fall through.

Let's just hope that we can grab a big name coach to take his place. Shi*.

CR37-

I forgot about this thread. I was talking to some friends about the Orange Bowl and I remembered you question. "If people choose schools for the football programs?" I was very surprised that the guys answered with an immediate yes. The football program was a HUGE part of their college decision. They wanted to go to a "big football school". I had no idea. Just thought I would share that.

Good luck to your Knights, as long as they don't beat the Mountaineers. :-)

Nutmeg
Jan '12

Looks like they will need a new coach for next season. Schiano is going to the TB Bucs.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7505668/tampa-bay-buccaneers-hire-rutgers-scarlet-knights-greg-schiano-coach-source-says

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '12

Big surprise. GS never delivered the National Championships he promised when he first came here. He could be leaving due to the BE becoming a weak football conference and the possibility of the conference losing its BCS tie-in. BE losing its BCS tie-in just about eliminates any big name coach coming in. Most big name coaches are already employed, unless they are/were in trouble with the NCAA ala Jim Tressell (Ohio State)

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jan '12

they should just replace him with another schiano...a local one. my vote is for anthony schiano.

jrze pride
Jan '12

Jrze pride...I like where your head is at. Maybe the entire Schiano family can go from running Mama's to coaching Rutgers. Anthony is a good choice for head coach. Maybe Angela can be OC and Tanya DC.

Team gets pizza parties when they win (or at least one big pizza party at the end of the season), and season ticket holders get right of first refusal at Cafe Baci.

Kyle Flood will do a great job, both in recruiting and in coaching. Go Knights!

I'm not familiar with them. Are they the same family as the ex-coach at Rutgers?

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '12

The Schiano's are the family that own Mama's pizza. I doubt there is any relation to Greg Schiano. jrze pride was being silly, and I decided to run with it.

Oh, just wondering.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '12

Rutgers football coach Flood passes first test: Signs 'top recruiting class' in program's history

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/professional/rutgers-football-brings-in-best-recruiting-class-in-program-history

It is really exciting that Coach Flood and his staff were able to hold on to the guys they did. Conjecture was that hiring a coach outside of the existing staff would have caused a mass exodus due mainly to instability with the staff and offensive and defensive philosophies. However, ratings are subjective, so we shall see.

Cue the Flood References...

"Rutgers FLOODed with Optimism"
"A Flood on the Banks of the Old Raritan"
"Flood is no Dud"

I could do this all day.

New helmets looked cooler in promos than they do in action. Here's to the currently undefeated Knights!

Not a good start for the Knights against USF. Let's go Knights!!!

I miss the Red helmets but what is with all these penalties!

The helmets should be matte gray if not red...err scarlet. The silver makes it difficult to see the R. I agree with you Jiro.

How many college football players does it take to change a lightbulb?

Just one, but he gets three credits for it. lol

RU football isn't the same without Ray Rice. Not a steady stream of NFL talent coming through Piscataway. It's an NFL minded market ... the top football schools are out there in Podunk Plains.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

Ray Rice is amazing but so is Jamison!

Rutgers has been ranked in the top 3 for the past four years nationally for NCAA academic progress!

We may not be picked in the 1st round of the nfl draft but we were in the top 25 recruiting class which isn't bad.

We just had Sanu go pretty high in the draft. Khaseem Greene, Jamison and Jefferson will be drafted.

I am so happy cause I started this post- watch the video - peeps!

Cause I am "Go Rut" & "Babybull24"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dERlwhfbvZw

Jiro, Devin McCourty and Anthony Davis were both drafted in the first rd.

Good game last night. Nova looks to be improving. Better decisions and remained calm under pressure. Real test next Sat. at Ark. Hopefully the Razorbacks have a letdown after facing Alabama.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '12

@MeisterNJ- Opps! I ment to say I know that Rutgers doesn't have a consistant flow of 1st round draft picks.

Nova did look so much better. No interceptions and always kept calm on 3rd downs.

Not to sure what to expect against Arkansas though... depends on what offense/defense shows up for RU and who will be at the QB postion for Ark.

Didn't get to catch the game but got to see the highlights on the Scarlet Knights website. How about that last touch down, ay?!

Was at the Howard game ... Rutgers looks like a pretty solid team this year in my opinion. Liking this QB Nova better than many in the past. Not afraid to throw when he finds someone open, especially on 3rd down. Seems like a pretty sharp QB.

Sep '12

Nice start to the season... scheduling games against Tulane and Howard is supposed to deliver that result, though. I still don't see them doing any better than 7-4 this year; possibly as bad as 5-6. But hey, for Rutgers, 7-4 and a bowl bid ain't too shabby...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '12

Probably not far off ianimal. Louisville is going to be a tough one, and Cincy has RU's number just as much as RU has USF's number.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '12

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Rutgers won last night. Love Chris Carlin's calls on the radio.

The thing is, I also enjoyed Rutgers football 40 years ago when they played a steady diet of Delaware, Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh and Princeton ... those Princeton games were a blast. I don't know if the money spent on the program and stadium has paid off.

Rutgers was in the basketball Final Four in 1976 (Mike Palko of Hackettstown was the only player from Htown I know of to have played in a final four) and I thought Rutgers hoops were going to take off with a new arena coming up and everything.

A real letdown that they haven't been close to another Final Four since then.

I didn't attend Rutgers (you have little choice of your school when you want to play a sport -- they have to choose YOU) but do have the memory of playing in a state tournament h.s. basketball game at the old "barn." It was a relic, but the place had atmosphere ... loved the experience. People spend megabucks on new stadia, but I like the old places that have some history.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

"Nice start to the season... scheduling games against Tulane and Howard is supposed to deliver that result, though. I still don't see them doing any better than 7-4 this year; possibly as bad as 5-6. But hey, for Rutgers, 7-4 and a bowl bid ain't too shabby..."

Are you kidding me - 5-6?
First off every school schedules cream puffs at the beginning of the year - except maybe ND. Go look at our next opponent Arkansas - a supposed top 10 team already lost to LA - Monroe.

They are 3-0 already w remaining games:

Arkansas - W/L
UConn - W
Syracuse - W
Temple - W
Kent St - W
Army - W
Cincinnati - W/L
Pitt - W
Louisville - W/L

They will get 9 wins at the least & possibly 10 being optimistic. Their defense is sick & if Nova plays like he did last night all season who knows how many games they will win.

Boy, those scarlet-colored glasses sure paint a rosy picture. I hope you're right; I root for Rutgers every year. But you just let me know how much $ you wanna lay on 9 wins; I'll take that action any day of the week, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '12

Syracuse & Pitt are bad football teams - not sure why the ACC is taking them.
Army & Kent St - we will beat

That is 7 wins.

Temple & UConn are decent but we will be favored in those games.

9 wins.

Book it ; )

Don't take Temple for granted -- they've become very good the last couple of years.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

Obvious statement forthcoming - Rutgers needs to get on the board ASAP. Letting Arkansas sit with a 10-point cushion will only make this uphill battle worse.

Positive vibes for the Knights! Unless you went to Arkansas, you should be a Knight fan tonight!

Thank you all for the vibes. RU 35, Ark 26. I know, I know, Arkansas is in a downward spiral, and the win is not as significant as it was on paper before the season. That being said, it is a victory against the SEC, and another step in the right direction.

Go Knights!

Go Rut!

Big win for Rutgers -- huge -- Nova is a star in the making. As downtrodden as the Big East's reputation as a conference has become, RU can only benefit from this week --- lets see if they get ranked.

It's great to see this happening after they'd completely changed over the personnel (including the coach) from that team that got lots of attention in 2006. Something is in the air in Jersey besides carcinogens.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

Ranked in both the AP and USA Today/Coaches Top 25.

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=12139#.UF9LVqTyam9

I'm enjoying the season so far! All schools go through ups and downs. Just ask Notre Dame as they lost 2 of the last 3 to Navy. Yes the Ray Rice days were great for RU fans, but this year looks good so far.
RU traveled to the mighty SEC last night and kicked butt.

They traveled south as underdogs and travel back home with a nice victory.

After watching Temple yesterday, I think Rutgers will beat them. Temple hasn't played well as of yet this season. Much can change in 3 weeks and Temple may pull it together, but they will need to get the O-Line stronger to develop a running game. Lots of work to do for Temple.

PSU in Jersey
Sep '12

Yeah, surprised to see Temple could not beat Penn State ... with all the defections PSU had.

Would really be something to see Rutgers get into a BCS bowl this year ... that would propel the program big time.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

It's about time RU improved. They got all the $$ for football when they dropped several other sports back a few years. I'm not being negative, but I saw the hurt in the eyes of those who took part in other sports and it saddened me when they were dropped in favor of football. I still hope the Knights do really well this year. Good Luck to them.
(I'm the mom of a former student)

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '12

The things that went on were sad ... dropping "non revenue" sports, spending all that money ... like I said in earlier posts, I enjoyed Rutgers football when the biggest game of the year was the rivalry game with Princeton ... it will never be like that again.

Given where it has gone, they might as well win ... they've decided to go big time and I can't hold sins of the past against the players and coaches who are there now. With the problems at Penn State, we may see Rutgers getting the quality of player that Penn State used to take OUT of New Jersey in past years, staying home now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

Rutgers was getting the quality of players that Penn State was taking before the problems, Andy. Kenny Britt, McCourty brothers, Sanu, Anthony Davis, etc, etc. Well, before the problems surfaced I should say.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '12

They've had good players, but until this year, I never thought Rutgers would beat Penn State head-to-head in a bowl game. Now, there won't be any bowls for PSU so it is not even worth discussing.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

I think RU would have had a great shot at beating PSU in 2006 or 2007 if they had met, bowl or otherwise. RU could play with anyone then. A team with Ray Rice, Brian Leonard, Britt, the McCourty's, Eric Foster, Courtney Greene,Jamal Westerman that's pretty good. Real good OL as well with Davis and Jeremy Zuttah, who are both starters in the NFL.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '12

I have often described Rutgers as the Birthplace of College Football, and the Graveyard of my Hopes and Dreams. They are so predictable, it is sickening. It is akin to watching a groundhog play in the shoulder of the road; while nothing has happened, you can see the inevitable ending very clearly. Rutgers plays up to big name opponents, they buy into the hype of an arbitrary ranking, then proceed to get beaten by a team they should handle easily.

I think this team is pretty good, but they had better stop thinking about Arkansas, their rankings, and their undefeated status, and start thinking about that noon game on 10/6 against UConn. It has letdown written all over it.

Rutgers could have beaten Penn State in any of the last six or seven season. Not that they would for the reason mentioned above, but the potential was definitely there.

It's amazing that great Rutgers team lost to Cincinnati ... still have trouble believing that one. Some times it is the little details that win or lose games.. and special teams ... not necessarily the star players.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '12

Agree CR37. Does have letdown written all over it. Though it is a new coach, so maybe they avoid it this time around. Biggest improvements have been on the OL and with Nova. Of course, one begets the other. Nova has hardly been touched. Huge turnaround from a year ago.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '12

RU should have no problem beating UCONN on Oct 6. UCONN has no offense. Should be a sellout with 54,000 and a great atmoshere with the students and alumni

The NCAA has made certain the PSU won't be competitive for years to come. The current players and other students are all paying a price for crimes that occurred when these students were home watching Sesame Street.
The current PSU players are playing with a level of heart and pride that is truly amazing. I wish them the best.
RU had PSU on their schedule for many years. RU beat PSU in 1988. They will again play each other in 2014 & 2015. PSU will still be under sanctions, so today's freshman and sophomores @ PSU will still be feeling the anger and wrath of the NCAA. Rutgers will likely add 2 more wins against PSU.
Long term, I think Rutgers would be a good fit in the Big Ten. Academically and athletically it would be good for RU and good for the Big Ten.

PSU in Jersey
Sep '12

Got room on the bandwagon for one more? Even as horrible as Arkansas had looked in getting annihilated by Alabama, I didn't give RU much of a chance against them. Fair warning, though... it's usually right around the time I start getting excited that they come out and lay an egg, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '12

Jeez - cheer up Rutgers fan. It's OK to have some doubts but let's enjoy the fun while it's happening. Connecticut is doing pretty well but we have a decent shot of taking them out.

Sep '12

Oh no - say it ain't so - http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/09/rutgers_fullback_michael_burto.html#incart_river_default

Rutgers chokes again. What a surprise. Goodbye, BCS. Hello, Pinstripe, lol. Maybe they should change their mascot to a possum... when the going gets tough, lie down and play dead.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '12

Agree, some dropped passes but a terrible offensive game plan by Coach Flood. Last chance for a BCS bowl.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '12

Awful 2nd half. Can't just sit and hope the game runs out of time up 14-3. Just awful. Many drop balls that should have been caught.

So much like the Mets of 2007 and 08 ... they just folded...pffff... at home, too.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '12

Well that was just sad. all they had to do was win 1 of their last 2 games and they blew it!! Now Rutgers only has 1 year left to get into a BCS Bowl because once they join the Big10 they have no shot at going to a BCS bowl. They will never be as good as OSU, UM, Wis, Neb

darwin darwin
Nov '12

Hold your head up Rutgers fans. This is a young team! If not for a few dropped passes, they had that game in hand. That's what young teams do. They make mistakes in big games and learn. That's why teams with mostly seniors do better.
Unlike the NFL, these kids are young, 19-21 years old, the development from one year to the next in the college game is significant.
Next season, The Scarlet Knights will have built on their skills and bring with them more experience. Can't wait!

PSUinJersey
Nov '12

I propose a change from the "Scarlet Knights" team name/mascot. I still think the possum is appropriate but perhaps even better is the "Murphy's Lawyer": if anything can go wrong, our team will make sure that it will, lol...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '12

If Rutgers could not beat Pitt and Louisville with a chance to wrap up a BCS bid, what will happen when they finish with games against Ohio State and Nebraska?

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing teams like the Hoosiers, Buckeyes and Badgers come to the RAC to play hoops. Since the Big East will no longer be the basketball league it once was, I'm glad they are making the change for that reason.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '12

Andy, I agree the big teams in the B1G will pose a challenge for Rutgers early on, however they have been attracting "big east" talent. Now Rutgers can attract B1G talent. It will take a few years, but if they do it right, they could build a very competitive football program.
The B1G is on TV every week. Kids from the east can stay closer to home and still play in front of the largest crowds in college football and be on TV each week. That's a change from playing in the Big East.
Lots of new revenue is headed Rutgers way. In a few years we will be reading about a High Point Stadium expansion!

PSU in Jersey
Dec '12

Certainly, the hope is they will attract the Jersey talent that has been going elsewhere through the years ... if Rutgers could keep the best Jersey talent at home for basketball they would be in the national top 10 annually, so would Maryland.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Looks like they will play Va Tech in the Russell Athletic Bowl on Dec 28 in Orlando.

When they play Stanford or USC in the Rose Bowl is anybody's guess.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Very excited to mention that West Morris Central and Warren Hills will be playing at Rutgers next Sat for the State Champ bragging rights. So cool to see 2 local schools fighting it out.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

Warren Hills was very impressive in its two playoff games to get there. Haven't seen West Morris, but they knocked off the top seed on the road -- that says a lot.

Anybody excited about Rutgers going to Orlando to play Virginia Tech, or is it all anti-climactic now?

Surely the players and coaches want to win.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

I am still disappointed with Rutgers, not so much with their loss to Louisville, but with their inability to put away Pitt when they needed to. I might have been able to get the money together to go to a BCS bowl, but can't commit to going to the Russell Athletic Bowl.

I am always excited when Rutgers does well, and this year is no exception. That being said, I need an emotional break until National Signing Day.

West Morris beat Warren Hills 35-7 today at Rutgers. West Morris ran a fake punt with a four-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter, so classy.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Andy do you ever forsee Hackettstown ever getting a chance to make some noise in their division and getting a chance to play in Highpoint Solutions Stadium?

The domination of Madison is just unbelievable.

Andy...Can you explain?

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

High school football requires a lot of guys working hard over the off season, working on weights, getting in shape .... you get out of it what you put into it.

Athletes who are strong and in shape will find ways to win high school football games, simply with superior blocking and tackling, it's not the NFL. The NFL is an Xs and Os league... everybody can fly and everyone is super strong ... high school games are won by the superior athletes.

Can Hackettstown win in the future? Sure. But it is up to the kids to work at it. It would not be fair to make a blanket statement about everybody, but the problem at Hackettstown could be that with their success in youth football, the guys think they are stars but do not train hard enough to be great at the next level. Just wondering, because I'm very involved with baseball during the summer months and I don't see first hand what these guys are doing.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

So classy ?
In actuality the punt West Morris runs is a designed run first play where if the run isn’t there they punt. In that situation on Saturday the ball was spotted on the Warren Hills side so punting would resulted in a touch back and the ball would’ve been placed on the 20. With it being 4th and long West Morris running the ball gave Warren Hills better field position.

WMC Fan WMC Fan
Dec '12

Failing to get a first down on a fake punt usually does give the opponent better field position. That's the risk, and why teams usually do it when they are trailing and there is nothing left to lose ... or they just go for the element of surprise. At the time it happened, it really looked like West Morris was trying to run up the score. It was a four-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter, don't give me this "run first play" business. Even if that's your normal offense, just punt the ball in that situation.

Had West Morris gotten that first down, the media would be all over your case and it would have spoiled your well-earned championship.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Seriously, if West Morris had gotten the first down on a fourth and long play with a four-touchdown lead in the fourth period, ESPN Sports Center might have picked up on it and the whole country would be talking about them trying to run up the score.

The great game West Morris played would not have been "national news." That's the way the world is today. All the talk would have been about an act of poor sportsmanship and the coaches would be trying to explain that it was a "run first play."

The Mike Francesas of the world would just laugh.

There was a whole lot of videotaping going on at Rutgers.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Your words seem to echo Jeremy Schneider or was he echoing yours while he was doing a play by play report.for NJ.com.

WMC was the better team and they won.They played exceptionally and had some surprise plays. It's as simple as that. Both teams showed excellent sportmanship behavior.

I did notice that Warren Hills seemed to have a much smaller fan turnout than West Morris.

All in all and exciting day for both teams to be able to play at Rutgers Stadium. What a beautiful place and it was nice to see several of friends for Hackettstown LIfe.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

My words echo everyone who was in the press box ... but West Morris certainly has a great team and great program ... I've seen them win sectional titles four times in a little over a decade ... one of them was in "old" Giants Stadium ... a great performance against Passaic Valley. They had a real dramatic final against Mendham ... I think it was in 2001 on a last-play touchdown. A great game by both teams that day.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Interesting that this thread started with a reference to Mike Burton of Long Valley.

Had a super game in the West Morris championship final of 2009 at Giants Stadium, the site of many memorable games.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Too bad Burton got hurt early this year for RU. He was doing a fantastic job blocking and opening up holes for Jamison to run through. Looking forward to seeing Burton back at Rutgers in 2013.

Andy,
I was interested in your post about the potential of success of the Hackettstown HS football team. I agree that player commitment is a very important factor,no argument there. However for kids that young (14-18 years old), there needs to be a strong "program" in place to build on what the youth program started. A strong "program" requires strong commitment from the high school coaches AND the Freshman football program. The Varsity coach needs to oversee the Freshman program, be fully engaged, and ensure the kids get the coaching and development needed during a critical year. Freshman football needs to build on skill development and player commitment.
The transition from the youth football program to the Freshman program at HHS has been a step backwards for the kids. The kids go from a youth program that gradually builds in intensity and increasing competition to a very relaxed, less intense Freshman program. These 14-15 year old kids may be extremely committed, but without a well organized program, skill development and commitment can fade. Coaching at that age, is a critical success factor. The high school team has had some pretty committed kids come through in the last 5-6 years, but has had very limited success.
There are likely many reasons the HHS football program has not had a great deal of success, but it seems to me that a quality "program" will build over time and become more successful. A good "program" starts & ends with the AD and the varsity head coach.

PSU in Jersey
Dec '12

Sounds like a critique of the coaching and that's easy to do when writing under an assumed name .... I often hear that the kids grow up playing wing-t and the varsity plays the spread ... a few years ago the varsity was running a lot of power plays from the I. There is something to be said for continuity in that regard ...but I believe good players with strength and decent speed can execute whatever basic game plan they are given... if I was coaching I'd have them run Lombardi's power sweep over and over ... the whole league knew it was coming, but nobody could stop it.

A team of 11 Brian Wickkisers could probably do some amazing things. Kids like that don't grow on trees, though. They did beat Warren Hills and looked real good doing it ... that Beater Board thing got them excited.

Whatever,

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

The Hackettstown soccer program has been so successful under Gary Thomas over the years ... draws a lot of the top athletes ... that's a factor, too.

Also, there is more specialization today ... wrestlers who only wrestle ... baseball players who play in the fall at Diamond Nation ... guys playing lacrosse now because college scholarships are out there for "normal sized" players ... lots of things that diminish the pool of top athletes ... way back when, football used to be THE sport to play. Also, parochial schools like Pope John "steal" players for a variety of reasons.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

The best way to lose, is playing not to lose.

The defense was terrific, but the quarterbacking and play calling ... ehhh.

What a miserable way to end a season that started with so much promise and big dreams.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

That was painful, Andy... it reminded me of the Steelers/Bengals game last week. I just kept waiting to see how they would manage to lose, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '12

It was awful. I felt like I was watching a Jets game.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '12

Rutgers will be lunchmeat in the Big 10.

Now Indiana will have some company.

Cornhusker
Dec '12

Andy,
My post was not meant to be a critique of the coaches. It was meant to suggest that to be successful, a "program" needs to adapt to the changing times. You referenced one sport athletes and the growth of lacrosse in your post and these apply to all High School football programs in our area. The playing field is level across similar sized schools. You mentioned the soccer team, the wrestling team, etc. I would even point to the the baseball team as well. These teams have had some nice success and that may be due to stronger "programs". Any school the size of HHS will have some down years in any sport, but with a good program in place, there will be some good years as well.
Andy your earlier post said the success of the varsity football team depended on the commitment of the kids and their off season work out. That's certainly true, however I believe it ALSO depends on the continuity of the "program" as well. If the program is not strong, you tend to lose the commitment of young kids (and perhaps the parents as well). The two go "hand in hand".
The HHS freshman football program has not adapted to the changing times you outlined in your post. The Freshman program is very much the same as it was 8-10 years ago. In order to keep 14-15 year old kids engaged and interested in playing multiple sports, the program needs to adapt. That was the main intent of my post. I think any changes would need the leadership of the varsity coach and the AD.

Anyway, back to RU football. It's a shame what happened last night. I was really hoping for a better outcome. Let's hope they can take what the they learned this season and make nice improvements for next year. They do have some nice young talent.

PSU in Jersey
Dec '12

North Warren has been a big winner the last three years, even though they've had some seasons recently with no freshman team at all, through sheer lack of numbers.
Don't think that will be a problem anymore, though, now that Matt Parzero has steered the Patriots in a winning direction.

Like Hackettstown, the Blairstown area has had a strong, strong soccer tradition for several decades and lacrosse has made an impact, too. Maybe Hackettstown can look at what Parzero is doing as a model in the quest to restore the roar. I still remember the night North Warren, with only 20 players, came to the opening of the new stadium at Warren Hills and beat the Group III Blue Streaks. Amazing. A high school version of Appalachian State beating Michigan.

Lets just hope Rutgers steps up the recruiting now that they are in the big time. Until they get big time players, they could have the second coming of Lombardi coaching them and they still won't win in the Big 10.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '12

Flood's play calling is suspect and they need to open up the QB competition in Spring 2013. Nova may not be the answer. Give Chas Dodd and Blake Rankin a chance to win the QB position next year.

Great win!

jiro03 jiro03
Sep '13

State schools (NJ, PA, NY, or any) shouldn't be involved in D1 football. No long term good comes from it academically or financially.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Sep '13

So I take it you didn't watch it? haha

College football = a marching band= need graduate assistants to help= preparing ones to teach music in high school in NJ= music in the public school system= most honor and AP students are in music= college football is good academically!

haha I'm just messing with you...but anyways, I love watching college football and routing for Rutgers.

jiro03 jiro03
Sep '13

Strike up the band ... whether you like the results of the football game or not ... you can always enjoy the band.

I've put in a good word for the Hackettstown High Tigers band on radio play-by-play broadcasts when I felt they had earned it ... music keeps a person young at heart long past the days he's able to play a physically demanding sport like football anymore.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

"State schools (NJ, PA, NY, or any) shouldn't be involved in D1 football. No long term good comes from it academically or financially."

Huh? Rutgers was invited to the B10 Conference - they hit the lottery both financially & academically and it would not have happened except for the football team!

3-1 is a good start and a win over an SEC team is a good thing anytime.

Go RU.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

That was a great comeback win. It's a shame that Paul James go hurt and will be out the next few weeks. Maybe Justin Goodwin from Madison can carry the load?

Well, I saw Justin Goodwin play against Hackettstown and he was impressive.

Big step up in quality of competition, but he's athletic and fast enough.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Where are you routing them to, jiro?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '13

Route 18.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

"Where are you routing them to, jiro?"

What?

To a BCS bowl?
From Hackettstown?

jiro03 jiro03
Sep '13

So you'll be rooting for an RU route to a BCS bowl. Got it.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '13

Good story about Mike Burton of West Morris and his "career relaunch" after his injury with Rutgers. I saw him at the "old" Giants Stadium in the section final against Passaic Valley ... the guy ran like Gale Sayers (NFL Hall of Famer).

http://newjerseyhills.com/observer-tribune/sports/career-relaunch-former-west-morris-central-star-michael-burton-has/article_4b94de0e-0661-11e3-8cd2-0019bb2963f4.html

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

This one's about the Knights' walk-on backfield, Jersey guys who did not get much recruiting attention. Go RU

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/sports/ncaafootball/a-rutgers-walk-on-rushes-to-the-top-of-the-list.html?_r=0

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

wow... just squeaked by. Big game next week though!

jiro03 jiro03
Oct '13

Lots of accolades on national TV for Mike Burton.

Well deserved accolades, and true freshman Justin Goodwin showed what he can do.

The Hackettstown players who chased Goodwin all over the field as he ran through and around them the last two years should not feel so bad,now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire, now the Scarlet has to contend with a leading Heisman Trophy candidate, who looked very impressive on Saturday..

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

If RU plays mistake free football and if Goodwin can rack up a lot of yards and keep Teddy off the field the Knights might have a chance against Teddy.

Yes, ball control and no turnovers is the key.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

Too bad coach announced that Huggins will be starting and Goodwin will be backing him up. But then again that was also announced for the SMU game so hopefully that will be swapped.

We need Coleman to get step it up too, Nova to have the game of his life, and for our D to keep chopin!

jiro03 jiro03
Oct '13

As that song goes, back to life, back to reality.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

No running game and eight sacks ... kinda falls on the offensive line tonight.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

O line and Nova are to blame. FOUR interceptions! I thought Flood's specialty was the O line? We need to recruit BIG BIG guys.

jiro03 jiro03
Oct '13

They won't survive in the BIG 10 without them.

As Colin Cowherd says (not that I consider him the ultimate authority but he does spend a lot of time on the college games) ...

that's BIG BOY football.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

wow... we are playing awful. Get Nova out of there.

jiro03 jiro03
Oct '13

They just did.

Nice article about Mike Burton.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/10/rutgers_values_fullback_michael_burton_when_college_football_is_moving_away_from_position.html

I didn't see yesterday's disaster because I was covering Burton's old high school team, but I did hear an interesting conversation between people who are close to the Rutgers scene.

They said the problem isn't Nova, it's that the receivers are really dumb, don't pay attention, and don't run the right routes. When they don't run the right route and Nova throws the ball where they are supposed to be (but they are not) the fans think it is Nova's fault, making bad throws, but there is more to it than that. It's not always the quarterback that's the problem.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

You picked the better game to watch Andy. Great comeback for WMC.

Go Rutgers!!!!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '14

It's going to be another long season for the Scarlet Knights. Welcome to the Big 10.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '14

This graph plots all college teams based on their ranking (larger circles indicate higher rank) and by strength of schedule. Rutgers (Ranked 61st in the country) has a fairly tough SOS (2nd in the B1G only to Indiana). With games against Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Penn State, it has the potential to be a difficult (albeit fun) season.

http://www.bcftoys.com/

Go Knights!

Rutgers has the second toughest schedule in the B1G because they don't get to play against Rutgers, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

I'm so old I remember when Rutgers' schedule was Bucknell, Lafayette and Lehigh, Colgate, Massachusetts, Delaware, William and Mary, Villanova, Temple, and the big rivalry match with those Ivy Leaguers from Princeton.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Rutgers at least looks competitive tonight. Trying to figure out if it's because Rutgers has a decent team or if WSU is even worse than a bad Rutgers team. The jury is still out.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

WSU doesn't have Mark Rypien at QB anymore (-;

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Drew Bledsoe was a Cougar too, no?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

Gutsy win versus a major conference opponent on the road to start the season. Nothing to be ashamed of and a good stepping stone to build from. Hopefully, the Knights can carry it over into conference play.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

A win Is a Win. I liked the coach came out with the first play, a bomb. It was successful and set the tone for the team to rally around the rest of the game. They were never out of it.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

That first play (sideline bomb) is somewhat of a calling card for Rutgers over the last 6 or 7 seasons (really since Teel was QB). Love when it works.

Hopefully the experience of the O-line and the team speed on D will keep Rutgers in a lot of games this year. I know they got carved up by the Air Raid offense Mike Leach is known for, but I felt the defense looked pretty good. They seem a bit quicker on D, which is saying a lot considering they have traditionally been undersized and have depended on their speed.

Rutgers needs to take care of business against Howard. Not a clunky, play-to-their-level win, but a blow-the-doors-off, play the 3rd stringers in the 4th quarter kind of win. That should give them(especially Nova) enough confidence going into that B1G opener on the 13th against that team from across the river.

Wait until the schedule starts (not next week either v Howard), then we will see just where RU is. Thats when Gary Turn-Nova will show his true self.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '14

Yep, Bledsoe was a Cougar and they were ranked as high as #10 when he was there.

Real good win for Rutgers, at least we have reason to hope they'll be competitive at the banks of the old Rar-i-tan.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Rrrrrrrrrrrrr

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '14

Red 10 zip for PS half time. Go Big Red

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

Re: Rutgers Football

Penn State 13 - Rutgers 10

9/13/2014 - Game recap & stats:
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400547995

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Sep '14

Rutgers is still a JV team

Joe Pa
Sep '14

Wait until the schedule starts (not next week either v Howard), then we will see just where RU is. Thats when Gary Turn-Nova will show his true self.

Clyde Potts

As I said. Gary Turn-Nova throws 5 INTs

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '14

The first two were not his fault but the loss was. He never improves.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

So Penn State was outplayed by the JV for 58 min then, JoePa? RU should have won.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

There is only a WIN & LOSS column. not a SHOULD HAVE WON column

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '14

I didn't SEE the game, just had it on the radio as I headed for Baltimore.

My friends down there were unhappy because the Terps allowed West Virginia to run over 100 plays against them. That's a lot of plays, even for a hurry up offense.

Turn-Nova is an appropriate nickname. Good thing nobody had to say it in 1985 when Villanova played "the perfect game" against Georgetown in the NCAA hoops final.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Your tax dollars -

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/09/green_wave_rutgers_to_pay_tulane_800k_for_todays_game.html

"Rutgers has brought in approximately $1-1.5 million in revenues per home game."

That's a net gain.

Thank you. That lowers the amount for tax payers.

"In order to fund a sports program that university officials say will generate close to $200 million of additional revenue in its first 12 years in the Big Ten, Rutgers subsidized the athletics department nearly a quarter of that amount last year, according the institution's financial report filed to the NCAA last month.

The report, obtained in response to an open-records request from USA TODAY Sports and Indiana University's National Sports Journalism Center, shows that the Rutgers athletics department received nearly $47 million in subsidies from the university's allocations fund to make up for a shortfall in the approximately $79 million athletics budget during the 2012-13 season. It's an increase of 67.9% from the $27.9 million subsidy the athletics department received in 2012.

The $46,996,697 total subsidy, which includes $9,877,989 in student fees, $12,601 in government support specifically earmarked for the athletics department and $37,106,107 in direct institutional aid, is by far the most an NCAA Division I public school athletics program has received in a single year during the nearly 10 years for which USA TODAY Sports has examined spending and revenue data.

The nearly $47 million subsidy from an institution that partially relies on taxpayer funds means the state university subsidized 59.5 percent of the athletics department's total allocations. That's the largest percentage since 2005 — a 15.8 percent spike from last year — and its total allocated revenue is an amount that is greater than the total athletic operating revenues of all but 53 of Division I's 228 public school athletics programs in 2011-12."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/02/23/rutgers-university-athletics-subsidy-jumps/5761371/

"Rutgers has poured millions of dollars into its football program during the last decade. It borrowed more than $100 million for a stadium expansion. The team finished the 2013 season with a 6-7 record. The school signed Hermann to a five-year deal worth as much as $2.5 million to succeed Pernetti...

...Overall, the department’s revenue fell 11 percent to $32 million, the report states. Nearly 60 percent of Rutgers’ $79 million athletic budget for 2012-13 was subsidized: $37 million in direct institutional support and $9.9 million from mandatory student fees...

...Meanwhile, tuition and fees for residents at the state university top $13,000, one of the highest rates in the country for a public school. Rutgers gets about a fifth of its budget from state taxpayers, and some question the sports spending...

...“If you do the arithmetic on how much money we’re being told is going to come in from the Big Ten, it’s not as rich a pot as it looks like” and wouldn’t cover the investment being made now, said Lucye Millerand, president of the Union of Rutgers Administrators. “There are questions about whether this can ever be a self-sustaining program, let alone a profit-making program; very few schools’ athletic departments are. Who the heck breaks into that closed circle?”

Millerand said student fees had risen steeply in recent years, making Rutgers’ cost increasingly prohibitive.

“You can invest in staff, you can invest in students. … The fact this [athletics] is the No. 1 priority for what we can do with these increased student fees is unfair,” she said...

...Andrew Zimbalist, an economist at Brown University who studies college sports, called the Rutgers subsidy “breathtaking.” He said entrance into the Big Ten will generate more revenue from ticket sales and television contracts. But he cautioned that the move is no panacea and is not likely to generate a profitable program.

“It’s a long shot,” he said. “It’s not something to bet on, and surely not something to bet state money on.”"

http://www.northjersey.com/news/education/rutgers-university-s-athletics-subsidy-grows-1.732427#sthash.RmlZs2a8.dpuf

Gimme a break the reason all these schools jacked up tuition is because the Federal Government now underwrites these Student Loans and these schools are milking these kids & the Fed's for all they worth.

Go to New Brunswick they are totally renovating College Ave - huge new buildings everywhere - has nothing to do with the football team.

Tuition and fees for in-state students at NJIT is $15,140.00... and they don't spend squat on athletics.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Since when are college athletics supposed to be profitable? Baseball, Volleyball, Golf, etc. better up their bake sale game and start pulling their weight then. Haha.

13K for tuition isn't a bad deal for a good school. Heck, for one year of private High School (Blair, Peddie, Princeton Day, Gil St. Bernards) you can almost pay for 4 years of RU.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

... and njit is #9 in the country on the list of most expensive public schools for in-state tuition and fees. meanwhile, Wisconsin, for example, charges $10k.

ken e
Sep '14

And yet, NJIT was named #1 in the country for "best value", which was determined by dividing average starting salary by the out of state tuition costs...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/littlelittleeske/buzzfeeds-best-value-colleges?s=mobile

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '14

Ian - You are seriously going to submit that link as evidence that NJIT is the #1 college in the country for "best value"?

Did you read the disclaimer at the bottom -

"This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff."

Bonjour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

NJIT did come in #1 for the least happy students, (which explains a lot about you) and the least beautiful campus -

http://ranking.yes-asia.com.cn/2014princeton/2014college/least_happy.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/06/least-beautiful-campuses_n_673081.html

Least happy and least beautiful? Are those scientific terms? Everyone I knew at school was plenty happy, lol.

At least "best value" was actually based on something mathematical... how much you can expect to earn coming out of school divided by how much you can expect to pay to get that degree. Pretty simple math... I'm pretty sure even you could handle it if you had a calculator handy, Jan.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Except the numbers used in your link can't be determined to be accurate. But then someone such as yourself with poor reading comprehension can't figure that out. :D

The methodology used to determine the least happy students came from a mathematical review of student's dissatisfaction with their college experience at NJIT. I guess the truth hurts.

"Except the numbers used in your link can't be determined to be accurate."

Why can't they? It's all public information...

The disclaimer you pointed out doesn't indicate nor does it even CLAIM to indicate that the data used was in any way inaccurate. It just said that that they didn't bother to double check it. That is YOUR poor reading comprehension shining through, lol.

And "least happy" is still a ridiculous concept, especially when it's based on the results of surveys. You have to be pretty miserable to waste your time filling out a survey in the first place and those of us who WERE happy were out getting wasted in the Village or hanging out at a sorority in Montclair when the surveys were being passed out. So, the truth might hurt for some... but that wasn't my truth. I have a good time wherever I am... I could even have fun at one of your parties; and that would probably be a first.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Then what public information did they use? Using the same,(?) public information Kiplinger rated NJIT as #90 in their list of Best Value Colleges, US News and World Report rated it #149, Princeton Review rated it #379 and Forbes rated it #416. My reading comprehension is fine - it's your propensity to post misinformation that is at issue.

I've already told you what their methodology was... starting salary upon graduation divided by out of state tuition cost. Apparently your reading retention isn't any better than your comprehension. Not surprising.

What were the methodologies of the studies you posted? Different things are of different levels of importance to different people.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '14

Okay - I'll go slow for you since obviously you have a problem with the English language. What...is...the...source...of...their...numbers? What... are... the... starting... salaries... upon... graduation... and... where... did... they... get... the... numbers? Was that the salary of one person, (the guy who wrote the post) or something that is credible and can be shown to be accurate?

You can google the methodologies of the studies I posted. Well maybe you can't since you are intellectually challenged. For anyone else they are clearly stated and legitimate. Unlike Buzzfeed, a less than reputable source of information.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/29/buzzfeed-erases-story-initially-with-no-explanation/

Lol, do you think Forbes and USN&WR have never had to retract stories? That's pretty funny.

As for where they got their numbers, it's all clearly stated in the article. Again, your inability to process that which you read really has a negative effect on you. It must really be detrimental to your career... Oh, wait, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '14

Buzzfeed vs DailyCaller. Now there is a contest based in the "Googlo ergo sum" reality.

Of course Forbes and USN&WR have retracted stories. But I've never seen them publish an article with a disclaimer such as this -

"This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff." In other words - this article is a bunch of junk and we know it.

You keep believing your school is #1. The rest of us know better.

It's #1 on one list that compares schools in a very specific way. Other lists factor in other variables that may or may not be important to a given individual. But the funny part is that you have no idea how the other lists even come to their conclusions, yet you post their rankings as if they mean anything at all without context. Very sloppy, Jan. But I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '14

I stand by my assertion that your list is inaccurate, dishonest and deceitful.

First of all Payscale's data is not necessarily accurate. It is a self reporting website that is dependent on graduates signing up and posting their salary on the website.

"All data used to produce the Payscale 2012-2013 College Salary Report were collected from employees who successfully completed Payscale's employee survey."

But if we ignore that fact the following schools are ranked higher than NJIT for salaries per Payscale in 2012-13 -

# 4 Naval Academy
# 5 Army, (West Point)
#17 SUNY Maritime
#31 Cooper Union
#34 New Mexico Tech

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2013/full-list-of-schools

And yet in 2012-2013 none of the above schools charged tuition except for SUNY Maritime which charged out of state residents $17096 and New Mexico Tech which charged out of state residents $16682, substantially less than NJIT's out of state tuition of $27840

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data

In addition the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology costs $19925 per year for a non resident, ( http://www.sdsmt.edu/Admissions/Tuition-and-Fees/) and has average starting salaries over $62K, ( http://www.sdsmt.edu/Campus-Life/Student-Services/Career-Center-Placement/Average-Salary-Offers/). Also, The United States Merchant Marine Academy charges all cadets $1000 and it's graduates start at between $55-90K/year, ( http://www.ventures.org/portals/index.php?mid=385)

So how can NJIT rank above these schools for Best Value when it's salaries are lower and it's costs are higher?

It can't which means it's all a lie.

My work has never been called sloppy but obviously yours has been and probably continues to be since you post information that isn't even accurate.

LMFAO.... I wasn't talking about your work.

Should we call someone to come look in on you? You seem to have blown a gasket (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

I'm fine. You just can't admit you're wrong and you posted misinformation. But that's just the type of person you are.

Holy smokes! I clicked on here thinking it was a football thread. Sheesh!

Welcome to HL, where every topic is a dogfight! LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

I posted misinformation? You're posting the service academies as if they were public colleges. They don't charge tuition; they just own you for eight years after you graduate. No wonder "starting salaries" are high... everyone is 30 years old (-;

Cooper Union? What do they have, 1,000 students, if that? Good luck getting in.

So, without bothering to delve any further, it's possible that the South Dakota School of Mines is actually a better value. Damn, we're number two. I'm guessing it's probably pretty high on the least happy and least beautiful lists as well. Bruthas from anutha mutha...

The really hilarious thing is how ANGRY the whole concept made you. That makes it all worth it, Jan. Muah.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

If you'd like to continue the discussion, take it up with Joel Bloom... he might be interested, lol.

http://www.njit.edu/news/2013/2013-345.php

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Wow. Chill out. NJIT is a good school, bottom line. And it's a good value, IMO. My Masters degree has helped out a lot.

Back to RU Football. I will be rooting for the Scarlet Knights from the cheap seats on Saturday. Who would've thought you would see the day that RU is favored over MICH? Not I.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

I would have thought that it would take a GREAT Rutgers team to pull that off. I don't think this one qualifies... it's more a measure of how far the Wolverines have fallen. I'll be rooting for Rutgers, though... I just don't know if I'm going to pick them to cover the three and a half points, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

So, do you think RU goes bowl-eligible this year? Six wins, right? They need two more... with this schedule:

Michigan
@ (20) OSU
@ (19)Nebraska
(17) Wisconsin
Indiana
@ (10) MSU
@ Maryland

Indiana would seem to be the weak sister that would be the best bet for victory #6 if RU can get past Michigan... but they've got a win over Mizzou under their belt, so who knows?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

ianimal.. we are soooo close but the rest of the schedule is very tough. I agree with you about Indiana and that would be our #6 IF we can get past Michigan. You never know with this team and college football!

Rutgers is a team that will either shine or just shut down.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Oct '14

Its almost impossible NOT to make a bowl these days, being there are about 40 of them. Ru needs to play in an upper tier bowl

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

C'mon, Clyde... you don't think the Pinstripe Bowl is prestigious enough? How about if they rename it the "Derek Jeter Pinstripe Bowl", will that give it the proper cachet?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Beef O' Brady Bowl

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

with the unfortunate loss to penn state, looks like Rutgers has to win 2 of 3 from Michigan, Indiana and Maryland. not a definite, but doable.

as for njit, there is an inherent bonus for schools that graduate a greater percentage of engineers than of art history majors, because of the salaries of that specific major, and because they tend to go straight to work instead of seeking a graduate degree. a better survey would do salary in 3 years / out of state tuition, by major (e.g., engineering, math, teaching, arts).

ken e
Oct '14

I'll take that win. Nova played a great game.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Oct '14

It was a little colder than I thought it was going to be. I shouldn't have worn shorts last night. Listening to the radio recap on the way home last night, I couldn't believe Nova threw for 400 yds. He did play a great game.

I hope they delete that fake punt from their playbook. I don't mind taking a gamble once in awhile, but that was very poorly designed and almost gave the game away.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

Especially on a 4th and 10!!!!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Oct '14

First Big Ten win and over a storied Michigan program......1 or 2 more wins are possible and a decent bowl game....go RU!!

KMC77
Oct '14

Ian - you continue to post misinformation. Does the truth ever come out of your mouth?

The service academies are "public colleges". Any US citizen can apply. Graduates of West Point, the Naval Academy, the Air Force Academy and the Coast Guard Academy become second lieutenants or ensigns and must serve five years active duty plus another three years in the Reserves. When you serve in the Reserves you can be employed outside the military. So those high salaries start well before 30. Midshipman who graduate from the USMMA must be employed by the maritime industry either at sea or onshore after graduation and serve in the Reserve for 8 years or go on active duty military service for 5 years and then serve 3 years in the Reserve. Graduates can make between $55-90K their first year out of the academy when they go to work in the maritime industry.

As to the service academies "owning you", it should be noted that many of NJIT's students don't graduate within four years. The four year graduation rate is 23% and the 6 year rate is 58%, (which ranks among the worst in the country). What kind of value is it when you have to pay over six years of tuition just to get an undergraduate degree? How many NJIT graduates are close to 26 by the time they graduate?

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/new-jersey-institute-of-technology.htm

It also should be noted that graduates of the service academies have no student loan debt since they pay no tuition, (and in fact earn stipends while they are students). But according to the Star Ledger, New Jersey Institute of Technology "ranks among the nation’s worst for saddling students with crushing debt".

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/05/stopping_njs_destructive_tuition_loop_editorial.html

SUNY Maritime is not a service academy and graduates have no service requirement. It's graduates' starting salaries are higher than NJIT and it's tuition is lower as is the case with New Mexico Tech.

As to Cooper Union - what does the size of the school have anything to do with this? You said NJIT was ranked #1 "best value", which was determined by dividing average starting salary from a Payscale.com survey by the out of state tuition costs. And as I've shown, (I could add more schools whose starting salaries are higher and whose tuition is lower but I think I've already made the point) that information is inaccurate. I haven't post any misinformation. You have and what I find so funny is you are so desperate to cling to your lie that you will go to any length to protect it. And I'm sure it's not the first time. You just can't admit that you are wrong.

BLD, please start your own argument thread. You and ianimal can have it out. This is for RU football. Good day.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

Thank god for the bye week.

Any predictions vs OSU?They are looking really good.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Oct '14

If Nova doesn't give up the ball I'd say RU stays competitive. I'll say they lose by 10 if that is the case. If not......lookout.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

I am very nervous about the OSU game, from location, to start time, to the quality of that program. If Rutgers does not keep pace early on, Ohio State will probably blow the doors off.

Saturday's environment was great at the stadium. I feel like the students really stayed engaged, which is something I saw a decade ago when I was there.

Go Knights!

Mike Burton continues to be a presence on the team - http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/10/rutgers_fullback_michael_burton_still_vital_to_offense_despite_diminished_statistics.html#incart_river

Scarlet Knights winning quick lane bowl 37-7 with about 13 minutes left. Go RU !!

Missrx Missrx
Dec '14

Nice going, it turned out to be a pretty decent, encouraging season.

But more needs to be done to get to one of those Jan. 1 bowls.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '14

RU has proven it can beat the second tier teams of their's and other conf. But were embarrassed when they played upper level teams. Beating the Hamptons & Navy of the football world does not mean your program is moving in the right direction.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '14

Agreed, against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State ... it was ugly.

They are nowhere close to challenging those teams for prominence in the BIG.

They were fortunate to usurp Michigan, which fell into total disarray this year ... and their own miscues cost them in a very competitive game against Penn State, which is still recovering from the scandal that brought them down a few years ago.

The key to the future will be winning those recruiting battles with the Nittany Lions for the prime talent in this region of the country.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '14

Can you just let us enjoy a bowl victory for a little while? We can worry about next year come signing day

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '14

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

fujixt1 fujixt1
Dec '14

You have to play the best ,to be the best,they are on the right track ! Most of New Jersey talent goes out of state! When they can keep the talent in the state,the program will grow.The Catholic high schools football players were recruited to ND, Ohio state,Michigan,Alabama.Florida state etc.The group 4 & 5 players from public schools also are going out of state, to the big schools.Rutgers can't survive on group 2 talent !

Rutgers's opening game isn't going to be broadcast locally? That just shows what a joke they still are. I'm pretty sure Penn State's game will be broadcast in central PA...

iphone-imal iphone-imal
Sep '16

Rutgers game was on the PAC12 Network if you could afford the Sports Package from Comcast. Do they have TV in central pa?

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Sep '16

Comcast? Lol. I can't afford to waste my time with that BS company, has nothing to do with the cost of their sports package.

Apparently the PAC-12 has some exclusivity deal with Dish Network so it's not on DirecTV. No big loss. I'm just surprised that RU doesn't have some local arrangement with Channel 9 or 11 for situations like this. It's a shame Scarlet Knight fans were unable to see their team battle to a 5 TD loss today, lol.

iphone-imal iphone-imal
Sep '16

PSU fans must be happy with the big win over Kent St. Championship caliber football. lol 7 and 5 again? Good thing they don't play Washington on West Coast because they would get whooped there too. PSU plays nobody away outside of BIG 10. Oh sorry...Played Temple away last year and we all know what happened there. lol Go PSU !!!

Sep '16

The mighty Washington Huskies who are 68-94 in the 13 seasons since Neuheisel left? Just like the AD at Rutgers to schedule a cupcake in the season it grows a few teeth, lol. Most years the past decade and a half, Kent State would probably have beaten UW.

But, don't worry, you get to play them at home next year... just like you play a lousy Penn State team at home this year. I'm sure that will make all the difference... what was the Rutgers-PSU score last year, 28-3 Penn State?

How about Rutgers remaining two non-conference games at home against those powerhouse programs of New Mexico and Howard? Yeah, Rutgers doesn't play the same soft out-of-conference schedule as everyone else. Oh, wait... of course they do.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

Rutgers & football should NEVER be used in the same sentence, subject or anytime

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '16

i HAVE rutgers season tickets, I only got them to see the Big 10 teams when they play in Piscataway, cheaper than traveling all over the country to see great Div 1 games!

big sports fan big sports fan
Sep '16

New Jerseyans are really supportive of their State University and its teams. Shameful!

Big sports fan: I assure you seeing Rutgers vs Big Ten teams is not seeing "great Div 1 football".

EW, last year the Maryland and Nebraska games were decided in the final two minutes,
not a great product by Rutgers but the atmosphere is top notch

Sep '16

1869 was the First Intercollegiate Football Game .....Played at Rutgers vs Princeton. You are insulting your intelligence Clyde.

Sep '16

Some sportscaster once said that Big Ten football is so slow, they should only broadcast it in black and white, lol.

I actually root for Rutgers unless they're playing PSU. But any strides they seemed to make during the Schiano regime have all but been eliminated due to Flood damage...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

1869 was the First Intercollegiate Football Game .....Played at Rutgers vs Princeton. You are insulting your intelligence Clyde.

LittleRascal

First off I know that RU played in the FIRST Intercollegiate football game. The stadium has a sign in the end zone that reads "Birthplace of college football" Which backs up my point even more. They have been playing the game LONGER than anyone else yet they have ZERO National Chips, NEVER outright won the Big East, and basically had ONE good year, where the fans stormed the field after beating basketball power Louisville.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '16

Rutgers just changed up their regime. Give it a little time before we declare them dead.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '16

A little time? 1869. How long do you want lol?

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '16

UCONN which started in Div 1 in 2000. Entered the BE in 2004, has played in 1 BCS Bowl game and has 2 BE Conference chips. And this from a basketball school.

No I did not go to UCONN. Just using them as an example of how long does RU need

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '16

Clyde Potts

You are obviously a Rutgers hater! Move on and root for your team if you have one. Take your National Chips with you and get a life. Doing research about UCONN winning. Nobody cares but UCONN and their fans!

Sep '16

Rascal CALM DOWN, I am just having a little fun. Correct I am an RU hater, have been for years, And have posted as such for years here on HL. No I didn't do research on UNCONN, those that know me know I do know a little about sports. There are to many other things in life to worry or care about, than to get all upset over RU (or any school) football. I bust people on here for pro football also, and they give it right back in a fun way.

btw, I have a team, you might have heard of them:

3 National Chips
18 Conf titles
3 Undefeated seasons
3 Heisman Trophy winners
Finished ranked in the top four of the AP Poll for 14 straight years from 1987 - 2000.
Currently ranked #3

The Florida State Seminoles

Notice I wasn't the one who said "get a life" or "insulting your intelligence "

Just enjoy the friendly sports banter

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '16

I know Rutgers football is weak at best. But I really enjoy watching the games in person, enjoying the crowds. Personally I doubt RU will ever have a solid team in the next 5 years, but I will keep dreaming.

Larry M Darst Larry M Darst
Sep '16

College football isn't really about who you like, it's about who you HATE, lol... my list in descending hatred:

Notre Dame
Michigan
Ohio State
Any team from Florida
Any team from California
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
BYU
Syracuse

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

Larry M, you are saying what i am saying. I enjoy going to the games also. All I am saying is for how long RU has been playing football (the first no less) the program should be better than what it is.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '16

ianimal, in our house most sports are about who you hate, there are several here that can attest to that, lol. It was very entertaining to read this thread from the beginning, not as much venom if you didn't agree with someone. Classic emaxxman line back in 2011, loved it!

Bessie Bessie
Sep '16

Do you have some paper with a crest and fancy Latin wording from FSU, Clyde?

Rutgers has 1 National Championship. 1869, co - national champs with Princeton. #1 AP poll , T-1, coaches poll. ;). Always wanted to print up some t-shirts.......

Saying RU should be better at football because they've been at it so long is like saying the Middle East should be a Utopian society because they've been at it for two millennia and should have it figured out by now. Italians should have the best army too....

RU never really put $$ into the program until they built a new stadium and subsequently joined the Big10. It was never a priority. I'm willing to give Ash a little bit of a leash.

Flood damage, love it ianimal.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '16

Knowing you're a 'Skins fan and the Steelers are in DC Monday night:

"YOU LIKE THAT?!?"

(-;

iphone-imal iphone-imal
Sep '16

Civil war at the Meister residence on Monday night. I'm just betting on the Redskins to cover....

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '16

I have free rutgers tickets for today if anybody wants them

also have tickets for sale for next sat and nov 5

respond on the forum and I will get back to u

Sep '16

Oof....... that was ugly.

2 for 18 passing for FIVE yards. 36 carries for 34 yards. SIXTEEN punts. I think the punter has hip replacement surgery scheduled for Tuesday. (I stole that one from SportsCenter, lol). Only one turnover though. It's hard to give up 78 points without a bunch of turnovers, usually there are a couple returned for scores in blowouts like that.

Michigan ran the ball 56 times for 481 yards and 9 TDs. I think they could have dug up the 1869 team and scattered their caskets at strategic areas on the field with better defensive results.

As the coach, do you even bother showing the team the game video? For those keeping score, that's 136-0 in the last two weeks versus OSU and Michigan. That should be a big boost for next year's recruiting...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400869636

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

It's a joke we let them in the BIG10.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

Its all about the MONEY.

The Man The Man
Oct '16

Dig up 1869 team and scatter their caskets all over field?? Heartless and insensitive!! Rutgers played 3 Top 5 teams this year and got BLOWN OUT !! It is a total rebuilding project for Coach Ash and Staff. Plus they are playing with many Freshman and Sophomores that obviously don't have much experience. In Greg Schiano's first year at Rutgers he was in the same situation. West Virginia beat them 80-7 ! And he did a good job recruiting and rebuilding.
People can see the score and realize that Rutgers got hammered so why do they need to come on here with their Moronic Comments??

Go RU !!!

Oct '16

You work in an Athletic Dept. JimL?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '16

"Dig up 1869 team and scatter their caskets all over field?? Heartless and insensitive!!"

LOL, too soon? Do former players need to be dead for 200 years before we can joke that their remains would play better defense than the current team? Sorry, I wasn't aware; I thought 100 years was the generally accepted duration.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Thanks to Rutgers ineptitude, Ruth's Chris in Ann Arbor is going to take a beating:
http://time.com/4524761/ruths-chris-steak-house-ann-arbor-michigan-football/

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '16

Had there been about 10 min more to play, those meals would be free.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '16

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2016/10/9/13217666/jim-delany-kicks-rutgers-out-of-the-big-ten

funny story too bad it's Satire. LOL

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

Since you let them in, why don't you kick them out JimL?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '16

Jim L

Ever think that Town Leaders could show a little pride in their state?

haha I have plenty of pride for my state, just not Rutgers Football. I guess I can't mock the Jets now either?

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

sad haha. Like I said show a little pride in your state.

it has nothing to do with Pride in our state. It's sports, everyone has an allegiance to the team they root for.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

I was at that Michigan game Saturday night. Worst blowout I've ever witnessed, and I'm 66 years old.

I remember a game at West Point in 1981, when Doug Flutie's Boston College team led Army 34-0 at halftime. At least it was played in beautiful, sunny October weather.

Have to go back that far to remember a comparable game I've attended.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '16

Andy,

We can all agree it was a blowout. My concern is that those are young people and that RU obviously has A LOT of building to do. Many of us feel that if people support RU's efforts the rewards will come. Everyone knows it will take time, perhaps a lot of time.

Support from folks in positions of respect like yourself and JL are needed to help the process along. Root for whomever you want but please don't bash. Lead, follow or leave.. but please don't obstruct or condemn.

Tickets to game this Saturday vs. Illinois.

I have 10 tickets to the game this weekend. Due to change of plans, my group is not going. I also have three parking passes as well. Tickets are free.There is a group of 4 seats and a group of 6 seats. Tickets are located in the same area.

If anyone is interested in these tickets, please contact me.

Oct '16

drc I totally agree with you ! This Football Program has been through a lot the past year with players being dismissed from the Team and a New Coaching Staff and totally New Offensive and Defensive Systems this year. I have Season Tickets and I truly believe in Coach Ash's Vision. It will take time to build a good competitive program but there is a Process that must be executed on a Daily Basis by Everyone!! Rutgers is a very young team with 61 players who are Freshman/Sophomores with very little playing experience. The Coach from last year (Flood) left the cupboard fairly bare by not recruiting very well the past few years.
Yes the past couple of games vs Ohio St and Michigan were VERY TOUGH to watch but I continue to believe in Rutgers Football and ALL Athletics at RU and will support the teams with enthusiasm. I am Proud of Rutgers !! GO RU !!!!! FYI The most lopsided College Football Score? In 1916 Georgia Tech 222 Cumberland 0 Yes 222 to 0 It was 63 - 0 after 1st Quarter

Oct '16

Hi Larry
I'm not sure if you got anyone to take the tickets. We have tickets to the game but I ordered a parking pass on stub hub and it never came. If you have an extra parking pass I could pay you for what you paid. Please let me know. Thank you.

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Oct '16

Live in PV - send me a direct message on your request. I have the parking pass.

Oct '16

larry - i may take you up on the tickets!

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Oct '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.