Dragonflies

Does anyone else have 100's of dragonflies buzzing around their property? I can't get them in a picture but it's more than I've ever seen in one place. Lots of birds out too in this break from the rain.

realitycheck realitycheck
Sep '11

I don't know about dragonflies, but I was just in my yard for two minutes and got two mosquito bites on my face. Worst thing about it, is I have a terrible allergy to them. My face is already swelling up. :(

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '11

I noticed a bunch of them flying around near the bridge of Newberg Rd on my way home from work! Thought it was odd, too.

BusyMama11 BusyMama11
Sep '11

You must be careful as N.J. has declared them the new State Bird. Also because of the rain, N.J has changed the State's official flower to Mildew.

Tim Tyler Tim Tyler
Sep '11

I think dragon flies eat mosquitos... there are alot of them around too.

Luckygirl Luckygirl
Sep '11

I have always loved dragonflies and their meaning, but if they eat mosquitoes then I love them even more. What IS the purpose of mosquitoes anyway? Annoying!

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Sep '11

love dragon flies

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '11

I haven't seen many dragonflies around, but if I go outside my home for more than 1 minute literally, I will be bit by mosquitoes. I have sustained countless bites over the past several weeks. They are so bad this year. I just hope the numbers game is my favor and no disease or virus has been spread to me.

YetAnotherNewGuy YetAnotherNewGuy
Sep '11

Yup, swarms of dragons in my yard. I welcome their feast on other annoying insects.
Sat outside by my chiminea last night and didn't get bothered by a single mosquito. Maybe the smoke from the chiminea? Seems everywhere else is swarming with mosquitos. Almost hoping for an early frost to kill 'em.

Bruin Bruin
Sep '11

i saw that last sunday in my yard too. what seemed to be a hundred of them just swarming around , dipping and diving. my husband said they eat other bugs. so if they are out there eating the mosquitos, thats great !!! it was weird though, i had never seen so many at one time before.

nonny nonny
Sep '11

Last week as I was sitting in traffic at the bottom of the Hackettstown Mountain on 46W I saw swarms of them in the field to my right. It was like watching a ballet of dragonflies LOL

monaco90
Sep '11

I know the hatchery hatches thousands of dragonflies every year. We see all stages of them in our seines when we are working in the ponds. Probably with all this extra water there is alot of extra habitat for them this year. Of course that works both ways with the mosquitoes also. I noticed a bunch of little gnats around the end of last week. I am guessing we can thank Irene for them.

fishmaker fishmaker
Sep '11

I saw the dragonflies too, they were higher up in the air, had to get the binoculars out to verify they were dragonflies. It was wild seeing so many of them them. I also had a praying mantis land on my shoulder the other day; that was exciting!

I get lots of dragonflies (love them). For the last 7 years or so, in Sept. I get hordes of them flying right at eye level, usually around 330 0r 4 in the afternoon. I assumed it had something to do with the breeding cycle.

Ingrid Ingrid
Sep '11

Of course, dragonflies are valued mosquito eaters and are hatched just for that purpose. Allaire State Park seems to have mastered their use. Like all pest eaters they won't time their eating according to your comfort or needs, but to theirs. Like hummingbirds they will rest on you so put out your hand.

Grandma Sally Grandma Sally
Sep '14

It is thought by some that Dragon flies carry the spirit of lost loved ones

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '14

Is it true Dragonflies only live 24 hrs. ?

fitter fitter
Sep '14

Caged - I have heard the same concerning butterflies, particularly the plain white ones. However, many have commented that the HL's own cbel is associated with the very colorful yellow swallow tail butterfly. They are absolutely prolific around the library garden in her honor.

fitter - There are so many species of insect that I'm sure one could be found that fits that pattern. But generally no. Most have a fairly long multi-year period as a juvenile. The adult period is then often one season, maybe a month or two or even a full year long. Very small insects like fruit flies have day long cycles and are some of the shortest of any creature.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.