Old Tyme Barber Shop

Saw this new barber shop this morning. Located on Main St. right at the border of H'town and Independence at the Statues of Liberty building. Big sign says, "Grand Opening Special $10 Haircuts."

I wonder if they offer a straight razor shave....my DH is so disappointed that nobody offers that in the area.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

Joyful posted a notice about this place in an previous thread - http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/158973#t315190

BLD2
Aug '11

Thanks BLD. Must have missed that thread.

If anybody knows of anywhere in Warren County that gives straight razor shaves, please let me know.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

Calico, I was asking about that too. Wanted to treat the groomsmen before the wedding. I'll accept recommendations in Morris or Somerset Counties as well.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '11

Tracy - The only place I'm aware of is The Art of Shaving in Paramus. That's their only NJ location unfortunately. DH went to the one in Las Vegas the day of our wedding. Expensive, but so worth it.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/

There has to be some barber that does it. Every time I ask around all people ever say is that this place USED to etc.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

Calico: Check also the Forum Classifieds under Services which will give you her hours, etc. There is also a phone number or you can Email Donna (the owner) at oldetymebarbershop@aol.com. I would be willing to bet she can take care of Horatio.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Bucci in Hackettstown doesn't do it? I saw them doing it when they were next to Jacks.

Christine Christine
Aug '11

I was under the impression Bucci's on Main St did straight razor shaves as well. I know they have used a straight razor along my boyfriends hairline, so I'd imagine they would do a shave.

nameRequired
Aug '11

Check out the barber shop in Panther Valley, 850-0777

mmphtown mmphtown
Aug '11

Bucci's does straight razor..my boyfriend goes there and gets it done everytime he goes ther

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Aug '11

Calico96

I take my sons to John's Barber Shop in Oxford. He is very good and offers a straight razor. He has been in business for a very long time and he and his son are the owners.
If you are intersted and would like to know where he is, just send me a message.

Hi Sher - We live in Oxford. John and Joe are family friends that we know very well. DH has gotten his hair cut there for years. Unfortunately, they no longer offer shaves. :(

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '11

West Side Hair Care Does, Shaves to Colors, Men or Woman, New born to young teens...

Someonewhocares
Aug '11

I know of a rabbi that shaves but I don't think that it's the part of the body that you want shaved.

Mmphtown Mmphtown
Aug '11

Barbers stopped the strop the razor shave in the early 80s with the AIDS scare.

Safety Razor Safety Razor
Aug '11

thats what gloves are for and there are cleaning products to kill hiv so shave away

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '11

Joe at Gentleman's Hair Salon in Panther Valley uses a straight razor. 850-0777. You'll probably need an appointment as he's there by himself. I've been going there for years.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Aug '11

Old Tyme was good and the $10 cut lasts till end of year.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '11

mistergoogle..My husband gave her the first $10 at her grand opening and she has it framed at the barber shop. She is good and offers this special to not only men, but woman and children as well.

joyful joyful
Oct '11

but trolls are $10 extra for the full body cut.

Oct '11

I just wanted to clear up some talk about Olde Tyme Barber Shop. Shop offers scissor cuts and blade cuts for both men and women. No straight edge razor cuts at this time and no shaves. Buzz cuts $8 (one blade) , $10 for men and $13 for women until the end of the year. No appoints...just walk in.

Donnabelle Donnabelle
Nov '11

"Old Tyme was good and the $10 cut lasts till end of year."

MG - Do they scalp you to prevent further hair growth or does your hair just grow really, really slow? :-P

I have a flat top and it needs a trim after 2 weeks; I usually get it cut every 3 to 4 (starts to look like an afro by 4 weeks though.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '11

LOL emaxx - My redneck, chia pet husband looks like an apeman if he doesn't get a cut every 3-4 weeks.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '11

Calico - I've seen that...

http://www.ecrater.com/p/10149519/chia-homer-simpson-planter

Hello.My name is Melissa Malson.I worked in the Hackettstown area(mall) for 15 years.Ive been in a couple other Barbershops as well(Bobs,Mens Barbershop Washington).I now work with Donna at Old Tyme Barbershop.She truly knows how to run a barbershop.We will soon be offering hot lather cleanups with the straightrazor.Stay tuned! You've tried the rest...now try the best!

Melissa Malson Melissa Malson
Feb '12

Great News...Melissa. I am looking forward to meeting you soon. I still stop in once in a while at the office next door when "old boss" needs me.

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

Welcome. I love this new shop, its great.

Feb '12

Melissa, thanks for the haircut yesterday! See you in a few weeks.

Now have a new barber. Lived here approx 9 mos. Have been scheduling haircuts with old barber to coincide with other things. He's 120 miles away. Went to Old Tyme last week.Was entirely happy with Donna. New Regular here.

Also Just changed Doctors. Opinion to follow.

Longhorn Longhorn
Feb '12

Re: Old Tyme Barber Shop

Just an up date on the olde tyme barbershop...now there are 2 barbers on fridays and saturdays and are offering straight edge clean up on the neck. There is a slight $2 extra charge , but still a bargin. Also Wednesday Mens haircuts are $10 (18 years and up). Coupon is also available in
local mailer for men and women discount cuts.

Donnabelle Donnabelle
Feb '12

I am so happy to hear that Old Tyme Barber Shop is doing so well. It is very difficult in this day and age to strike out on your own and establish a new business. Donna is a hard working, lovely lady and from what I hear so is Melissa...Just that little extra effort in keeping prices low and being open the hours you say you will be are part of the secret to success The other would be offer the public what they want and do a good job at it. Looking good!

Joyful Joyful
Feb '12

CUT A THON For Joan Knechel Cancer Center in Hackettstown will be held at the Olde Tyme Barber Shop 2 N Main Street, Hackettstown. March 11th from 10am-2pm. ALL PROCEEDS will go to foundation, make a point to come out and support this great foundation. No appointments , just come down. There will be refreshments for all. Price are everyday prices. $8- $12 for men and $15-$18 women.

Donnabelle Donnabelle
Mar '12

Went there for the first time today. Great service and a good hair cut. Will go back. Thanks

thehazguy thehazguy
Apr '12

something new at the barbershop.....ear waxing for men and straight edge whole head shaves! the whole month of August FREE straight edge clean ups on mens necks to celebrate 1 year Anniversary at the shop.

Donnabelle Donnabelle
Aug '12

How many Barber shops do we have in Hackettstown now?

pampur pampur
Aug '12

I remember your first day, Donnabelle, and hubby gave you your first $10 which you so nicely framed and have hanging in your barbershop....Anybody want to find out who The Duke is.....go visit Donna at Old Tyme Barber Shop, 2 N. Main St. Hackettstown ....and ask who was her first customer!! She is a super nice lady and a great barber!! Best wishes for continued success !!!

joyful joyful
Aug '12

Pampur - at least four that are within town limits (if you only count barber shops and not salons). Old Tyme, Jacks, Bucci, and Downtown Barbershop (which is very close to Jacks). There may be others, as this is only from memory. Thinking of opening one?

CR37, perhaps you can give us the count on hair salons while you're at it. Not sure why anyone would want to know that, but just in case anyone's wondering about it. Congratulations on your First Anniversary Donnabelle, may you have many more!

Bessie Bessie
Aug '12

CR37 no not thinking of opening one up, the store I really liked the most in this town is long gone. She had very hip clothes and jewelry.

pampur pampur
Aug '12

Was that on Stiger St...Pampur??? I owned a store like that back in the 80's.

joyful joyful
Aug '12

Town and Country barber shop in Somerset NJ has a razor shave. Haven't had one there but they use it on your neck during a regular haircut. Love that. Men of Mendham has a hot shave as well.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '12

Yes it was. I got the most beautiful jewelry from her.

pampur pampur
Aug '12

What a dissapointment to know my friend-barber is no longer with Donna at Old Time due to no choice of her own.Shes was devastated but moving on,pursuing a dream shes always had and Im happy for her.She loved Donna,the shop,and always takes pride in her work.I know she will be missed by many.Donna was a lovely woman as well, as I've talked to her several times.I feel a poor decision was made and wish Donna the best of luck working alone and Melissa pursuing her dream.Fortunately shes still able to cut my hair and for that,Im grateful.

Frank DA Frank DA
Oct '12

Melissa is the best...Hopefully she will place an ad in the classified section here so her customers will find her.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Oct '12

I like the Old Tyme; nice location, ez parking for me. Spiffy clean and a great hair cut. Been going since the opening.

Oct '12

What misterg said :-)

justintime justintime
Oct '12

What Mistergoogle and justintime said! Ditto!!!

joyful joyful
Oct '12

Been going there for the last 6 months or so. Just got a haircut last weekend and will continue to go. Nice place

thehazguy thehazguy
Oct '12

Donna's the BEST, I got my hair cut months ago and the girl was too busy trying to impress me about her history where she cut hair before she gave me a crooked hair cut, went to Donna and she fixed it and gave me a GREAT style....Thanks Donna

Lyndy Lyndy
Oct '12

Yes, Melissa is no longer at the shop....But things are going better then ever ....I invite all to visit the shop if you have not yet. Also the ones who have been here come back. Nov 5-9 every men will recieve a $10 haircut for veterans day.

Donnabelle Donnabelle
Oct '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.