Space Farms?

Has anyone been recently? We have a 4 and a 7 year old, and we're wondering if it's still worthwhile. Thanks in advance!

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
May '11

I haven't been in 2 years, so not recent but when I was there it didn't seem it had changed much since I went as a kid! I think it is good for small children since it is small enough that you can easily see everything in a short time. I also liked the fact that they could run around a bit yet still be within eyesight.

It's not overly impressive, but the four and seven year old will love it....Turtle Back Zoo is nice as well and it's not much different drive time....

Thanks...we love Turtleback, too. Hoping to check out both this spring/summer.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
May '11

Wonder if they still have the snake pit!!

acl76
May '11

Pretty sure they still have the snake pit. Like someone said, it's not a place that changes much. It's not bad, just old compared to a place like Turtleback.

Bryan Bryan
May '11

Space Farms is the best. And if you catch Lori Space Day she is so very knowledgeable about the animals. I have been going there since I was 2 or so. That's when they got Goliath, a Kodiak bear. He was a baby in a playpen and I actually petted him. He went on to make Guinesses World Record Book as being the largest Kodiak Bear. When he died they had him stuffed and you can still see him today in their museum. You will not be disappointed with Space Farms and the ride there is waaaay better than Turtle Back Zoo.

H'town driver
May '11

with a longer drive cape may zoo is the best

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '11

Go go go! It is a blast!

suzique suzique
May '11

Took 2 year old last year, same as it was when we were 2! Great for little ones, they love it. As previous stated, kids can run around & work off some energy. My only complaint was they didn't keep up on the grass, lots of areas not mowed (ie: around the playground area). Yes, the snake pit is still there.

I'm sorry, but we took my daughter a few years ago to Space Farms and we thought it was atrocious. The cages were filthy, the animals were on concrete and they looked miserable. We much prefer Turtleback Zoo.

2Cents 2Cents
May '11

i totally agree with you 2 cents- I think Space Farms is HORRIBLE! Turtle Back Zoo is lovely. The exhibits are first class, the educational shows are wonderful and the kids love the free train ride around the reservior. My family goes every year and each year we go they have upgraded many areas and we enjoy seeing the new animals. My kids love the penguin exhibit and Jelly and Jam, the black bears.

We brought our 4 year old DD there last summer, very boring the only thing she really enjoyed where the swings in the front. The animals are all very sheltered and been there way to long. Most did not even get up. It looks huge but the whole middle part is all 1 animal..... Complete waste of money and it was not cheap either almost $50 after we bought 2 adult tickets 1 kid and food for the animals.... DD was so bored and kept asking to go back to the swings ......I would def. recommend turtle back zoo worth the drive she loved every second of being there

shoebie shoebie
May '11

Re: Space Farms?

Space Farms has a huge antique car collection...and they did have deer...that you could pet...the snake pit was interesting...they have a toy collection also...lets face it Space Farms is not Disney World...but it is a nice day trip...plus if you look closely...the have 2 1954 Kaiser Darrens a fiberglass sports car...that dates very close to the first Chevy Corvette...the Darrens are well worth the visit for a car enthusiast...

oldman oldman
May '11

I took both my kids and have for years. No it's not the bronx zoo or turtleback but it does have some very interesting things to see ( yes the snake pit is still there). Especially the antiques and the people that work there are sooo nice. My 3 yr old and 13 yr old got to feed the babies right outside the back door. It's a nice drive and it's always a good idea to stimulate our local economy before you go elsewhere. It is meant to entertain children and I think does just that. Take the kids, it's a nice day trip. And the chatterbox is on the way back, they have good food.

crazymomof2 crazymomof2
May '11

Space Farms is awesome for the humans, bad for the animals living there. The monkeys live in a small cage with concrete beneath their feet that sizzles on a hot summer day, and not even one plant or piece of grass is in their cage. Also, when I went there the place was selling cookies next to the register with a sign that said you can feed them to the animals. I looked on the back of the bag and it said 'for human consumption only' because it is purely made from sugar and flour. I looked around and every visitor was throwing dozens of these cookies meant for humans into the cages. I mean I saw a monkey scampering on the hard concrete floor collecting 6 cookies in each hand, hoarding them. It's not good for an animal to live on concrete 24/7 and eat 42 cookies a day. The place will do anything to make a buck without giving back to the animals, except for the rooster that gets to walk around and the owner shows everyone how to pet it.

Phil L. Phil L.
May '11

Took my daughter there 2 years ago and will never go back. It was depressing and the animals just looked uncared for. I felt sad being there.

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
May '11

the conditions the animals live in at space farms is disgusting. Really its quite depressing to see t
he animals living in horrible conditions. I'd stay away.

Now, I feel like going to Turtle Back Zoo. Let me know when there's a field trip. ;)

I used to love Space Farms, but now it just sounds depressing for the animals.

INeedMoreCowBell INeedMoreCowBell
May '11

I hate driving by there on my way to or coming home from work. It is discusting and the animals there look sad if there are any animals at all. That place should be shut down.

Pepper Cat Pepper Cat
May '11

i was going to start a topic but i see one already has been. i actually just came back from space farms and felt compelled to do something! i wrote a few emails to some rescue groups. maybe they can help. i can not believe any one would go there and say it was great! i love how deer and mountain lions live right next to each other with only a chain link fence between them. phil l. had it right, "awesome for the humans, bad for the animals living there." but bad for humans too because it was soooo depressing and upsetting that "humans" let this happen!!!! don't ever go there!!!!

mom of three:) mom of three:)
Jun '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.