Gas Grill Propane

Where can you purchase gas for outside grill?
Not looking to trade cylinder; Lowes or Home Depot.
Thanks

Tidy
May '11

Kappers...Budd Oil..on Main St. Hackettstown

joyful joyful
May '11

Kozmors rt 46 great meadows $22.00 to fill my tank

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '11

If you use Lowes, with an exchange tank, it is $18 (just did mine last week)

If you want to buy a tank, and not exchange with your old tank, it is about $35 at Lowes.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
May '11

Lowes exchange doesn't fill it all the way. I also seem to remember it's like $18 and some change close to $19 and with tax it's almost $20.

Kappers/Budd Oil/which ever name you choose is the best for a refill. $18 and it includes the tax. Great long time local company, best place to go.

HD/Lowes/Walmart all give 15lbs of propane in their tanks. Kappers gives 20lbs in their tanks for the same price. Go with Kappers.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '11

I agree with GC -Kappers, Budd, Heco, is the way to go.

Hoffman supply in Long Valley

sooo me
May '11

Kozimors in Great Meadows, can get lower cost gas at the same time.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '11

I've always had mine filled at Blue Ridge Lumber.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
May '11

Thanks for all of the info!

Tidy
May '11

Have two tanks, wait until your tank is completly empty. If you take your tank to be filled you are going to be charged for a complete refill even if you have have 1/2 of a tank of gas left.

THE MAN THE MAN
May '11

I'm with the Man. I hate being charged for a partial fill. I take mine to Ashley Farms in Flanders when I go out that way. They fill while you wait, and I think my last fill was 18 bucks. When I lived next to a propane dealer at the end of Main Street in Franklin Boro, they would actually weigh the tank before and after filling, and only charge you for the number of pounds of propane they gave you.

Bruin Bruin
May '11

I'll add --- buy multiple things for gas, then you have plenty!!!! I love my little propane heater. Is invaluable when in the garage or when furnace goes on the fritz. So I end up with three tanks, one for the grill, one for the heater and an extra !!!

Can also use extra for emergency in case I run out of kitchen gas from the HUGE tanks.

May '11

I refill the propane tanks up at the Delta Gas in Washington on RT 57 next to Dave's Friendly Service auto repair almost across the street from the Medeterriean Grill restaurant. $16 bucks! Just refilled yesterday.

Kozimors is the best, long time business and convenient can get your car filled up same time!
have fun grilling

blitz blitz
May '11

Budd Oil/Kappers is about $4 a tank cheaper than Kozimor's - as of about 3 weeks ago.

Btw, Kozimor's "cheap gas" is only cheap if you pay cash. Once the fee for using a credit card was added on, it was no longer a bargain.

Ready4Summer Ready4Summer
May '11

Updating prices for 2012...... just filled up the bbq propane tank today at Delta Gas on RT 57 in Washington boro just before Dave Friendly Service garage. Same price as last year...still $16.

vic - Do they show you on a scale that you are getting 20 lbs. for that price?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '12

Calico,

No, no scale but I have a little gas gauge on the tank and it was pinned up a little past the "F" for full.

Good point Calicio. I just filled a tank at Kappers the other day- they have the scale and it was still $18. The Lowes and Home Depot exchange tanks are close to $20 but have only 15 lbs max in those tanks.

Thanks guys.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '12

My tank or regulator seems to be making a sort-of higher pitched hum. Anyone know what that is; should I head for the hills?

Jul '12

Mr G - Probably just a bit of a loose connection. Just tighten it up and it should go away.

Updating thread for 2014. Just filled up the grill propane tank at Enrite gas (Formerly Delta Gas) on Rt 57 in Washington boro. Price is now $20 to refill the tank. I was paying $16 in years past.

Not allowed within of dwellings..esp multi family....need to be outback on the lawn...not on decks next to a residence....at least five feet away
State fire code for multifamily dwellings...and no propane stored indoors...nj state fir codes and all residential communities...

5catmom 5catmom
May '14

So where in hackettstown can you get a 20lb propane tank filled? I know there are exchanges, but I would like to get a tank filled and keep the same tank.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '15

I go to Kappers right on Main Street and center street in Hackettsown,during the summer it was only 9$ to fill a tank on Fridays....

It's still $9. Got mine filled a few weeks back.

The key to understand is that Kappers gives you a full 20 lbs of propane. Those exchanges only give you 15lbs of gas.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

Kappers. For sure, they fill tanks on the spot not just have pre-filled ones for sale. They will fill any size tank not just standard 20#, and fill it completely. Good fair people.

How come I pay 20.00 to have mine filled at Kappers ? Is the 9.00 only on Fridays ?

Mariann Mariann
Nov '15

Yup....there's a big sign in the window,I also got a postcard in the mail way back in May I think it was.

So wait, it is 9 dollars to fill a 20lb propane tank on Fridays at Kappers??????

Darrin Darrin
Nov '15

Yup...it was for me.It was for exman a few weeks ago,I did mine in the summer.

$9 for 20lb. Thats cheap. Thanks!!! Will go this week. I have 1 full tank and one empty.

sack
Nov '15

yup, I am now waiting to fill till Friday! Thanks so much for that tip!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '15

Its actually $9.99 on Fridays and they only take cash

htown htown
Nov '15

How do they do that and make money. Either they lose money or everyone else is making money hand over fist.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Nov '15

Key words "They only take cash"

eapos eapos
Nov '15

Propane is dirt cheap right now. They make a very small amount at 10$ a fill. The advertisement itself is good and can possibly pick up a few heating customers that just stop by to fill there 20# cylinders.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Nov '15

Propane weighs 4.2lb/gal, so you get about 4.7gal when filling a 20lb cylinder. The current wholesale price of propane is around $0.65/gal (believe it or not!) so their cost of a fillup is around $4.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Nov '15

Can they fill the exchange cylinders?

Darrin Darrin
Nov '15

Darrin - Yes. The exchange cylinders are what I have. After finding out about Kappers, I just kept mine. Never bought a new one. Occasionally, I'll go use the exchange to get a newer tank.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

You can only get the deal with a 20# tank. Any other size tank reverts to regular pricing.

Nov '15

wow this is such a great tip guys, appreciate it so much!

With a camper, 3 grills, a heater, a smoker, a fryer, I have 5 tanks and do go through quite a bit of propane!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '15

Just reading the recent posts now...is that right only $10 cash for a 20lb propane tank refill at Kappers today being that it's Friday??

Impressive! I'll have to head over there later while out running some errands.

A link for anyone else not sure where the heck this place is:
http://www.hackettstownbid.com/services/kappers-son

Yes it is, confirmed last Friday! Will only be using Kappers from now on!

Darrin Darrin
Nov '15

Confirming this deal for 2017 as it's still on every Friday for $10 per 20gal tank at Region Energy formerly known as Kappers & Son. Fridays only!! Cash only!! Just left there after filling two tanks for $20 even...gotta love it!! They are open till 5 pm today. Price is regularly $20.

That's a good deal!

LJRubi LJRubi
May '17

Yup, I have been using them ever since I found this out

Darrin Darrin
May '17

Tauro Gas fills for $14 , great price
Rt 57 , Stewartsville
it is a Mobile gas station now :)

Joni Moore Joni Moore
May '17

Do they still have the Friday $9.99 deal ?

eapos eapos
Feb '18

Wow. Just saw this. I'l keep an eye on it to see if the price still stands. :)

They still offered the $10 Friday price around the holidays. As an aside, it is cash only.

Yes fridays 9.99 cash only..Region Energy in Hackettstown.

Itiswhatitis
Feb '18

$12 now. Was there today.

Indie Indie
Feb '18

Thanks

eapos eapos
Feb '18

hi, it is also only $16 at Tauro gas station on Rt 57 in Stewartsville NJ
that is all the time, in case you cannot get to Kappers :)

Hi, called them y/d,,,,
they said it is $9 cash all the time, M-F
they also said mention this ad for that discount to be honored.

thanks.

Called who, AJM? And what do you mean this ad? This forum discussion?

Have your grill connected to your natural gas line, ( if you have natural gas available) then you will never have to lug that propane tank around. Plus it will never run out right in the middle of you BBQ. My father had this done 25 plus years ago. Me I’m a charcoal man. Propane is for Weinnei roasters!!

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '18

Ps that is the Main St location :)

Region Energy in Hackettstown is now $11.

not sack
May '18

Before you start up your gas grill check all the lines to the propane tank.Last year a rodent chewed all my gas lines up.Had we opened up the tank valve there would have been a disaster.

ynnuf
May '18

What is their price now? Thanks

weatherfan
Nov '18

I had mine filled a few weeks ago and it was $10.99 ...

At Region Oil on a Friday still? Thanks Dam

weatherfan
Nov '18

Yes Region Oil on Friday’s...

Anyone know where the deals are now for 20 lb. tank refills?

Jim King
Nov '19

Region Energy on Fridays. There new location is by best fruit farm

Nov '19

Region is near Best's.... how far from there exactly

They moved?

Darrin Darrin
Nov '19

There now at the bulk oil yard right across from best fruit farm. Hackettstown location is closed and up for rent.

Nov '19

Good to know! Are they still doing the Friday deal?

Darrin Darrin
Nov '19

Which entrance best; Rt 46 or Russling Rd?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Nov '19

Yes they are

Nov '19

Russling road is the best option

Abc123
Nov '19

Hi. Greg, yes by "this ad" I meant this ad from our current HL forum.
Yes I called Region Oil: 973 366 3100.

They (Region) advised me of the following:
If any Q's speak to a "Ms. Victoria"who is at the new office (and fill location) on #8 Russling Rd.

PS The entrance is only on Russling Rd. The Rt 46 East entrance has now been blocked off to allow ease in carrying your tank safely to the spot to fill. There was a chain separating the two parking lots when I came in.

You can pay for the gas first or give it to the attendant. Either way is fine.

There is a parking lot directly across from Bets'

Vic, thanks for mentioning the Delta station, I had no idea they were that reasonable.

2020 update

Region Oil on Russling Rd is still running the Friday 20 gal propane tank refill promo for $11 cash only.

Just filled up today.

2022/2023

Region Oil still runs the Friday promotion refill. Price is $15 cash only.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Gas Grill Propane
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.