Airsoft guns

Can anyone give me information about these without starting any crap. My son wants one but I have no idea about rules, regs, etc. I really need some insight without bashing or negativity please. Thanks

concerned mom
Apr '11

There are not any rules or regs. just yet. You can buy them at any sporting goods store. Make sure to buy eye protection. They do hurt at close range but nothing like a paint ball. My son is ten and has one so do a lot of his friends. It is a supervised activity at our house. And we have strict rules about how close you can shoot etc. We have had no incidents.

Nutmeg
Apr '11

I don't believe that NJ classifies Airsoft guns as firearms (although everything else from a BB gun up requires a Firearms Purchaser's ID card).

According to Wikipedia: "The states of New Jersey and Michigan, however, do not allow airsoft guns to be used or handled publicly because of the resemblance to real firearms. They may be used on private property with the consent of the owner."

Basically, if you stay on your property (or that of someone who has given permission) and your neighbors aren't overly nosy or "anti-gun" everything should theoretically be fine and dandy.

Also, hope that if there ever is a problem, you deal with police/lawyers who understand NJ firearms laws since there seem to be a LOT of different interpretations, even though technically this shouldn't even fall into that category. For example, something as simple as driving your son to his friend's house to enjoy some target practice could become a mess if you get pulled over and you have an inexperienced (or worse) officer trying to convince you that the "gun" needs to be transported in a locked case, etc.

Not saying it's a bad idea (I think BB guns and small firearms are fine for young people who respect them) - just keep a close eye on how and where it's used so you don't give anyone the opportunity to screw up your day.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '11

Nutmeg, thanks! Did you have to get a permit? I really am a novice with this. Obviously it is an outdoor game, but do they shoot at targets or what? Are they spring or gas powered? Small or large?

concerned mom
Apr '11

They are pretty much harmless, unless you pointed it right at your eye and shot yourself at close range, I can't think of any other way you would actually hurt yourself. You don't need a permit or anything, we bought my husband one at the flea market and he and his friends have a lot of fun with them.

Sandy Sandy
Apr '11

you do not need a permit but definitely buy eye protection, I play professional paintball going on a few years now and paintball is a total thrill and very addicting/expensive and the guns actually look real, I can't even have my paintball gun out of its paintball gear bag seemin all I need is for one person to say it looks real. Airsoft is fun but definitely when your kids get older they will like paintball which is alot of fun.

nj2011 nj2011
Apr '11

Get him the gun, teach him how to shoot it. When he gets older get him a bigger gun. As he gets older get him more guns. Heaven knows we're going to need them one day to protect our freedom.
No household should be without at least one gun.

THE MAN THE MAN
Apr '11

We go to Godfather Airsoft on Rt. 22 in Greenbrook. Eye, face, all over body protection! My 14yr. old loves it! He and his friends play at the Godfather indoor arena in Flemington and the outdoor field Rt 22 Whitehouse Station.

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Apr '11

I bought him a target, but he tends to shoot his sisters. They shoot back :-). I bought his at Dick's. But I hear Amazon has the best deals. I got him the battery powered automatic, it came with a pistol. He really liked the automatic at first but has since changed his mind to the pistol because it is lighter. No permits. I do carry it in the trunk if he is taking it to a friends. They look real and i don't want to chance anything. Common sense and supervision (for the kiddos).
Oh, I was encouraged to buy the extended 2 year warranty and am glad I did. It broke the first time out. We took it back to the store and received a brand new one. Most everyone I know has returned at least one. Just a thought.

Nutmeg
Apr '11

I have many and enjoy time with them on the back porch shooting into the back yard. I am a PA person, and they are all over out here. I have a few that shoot metal BB's and some that shoot the plastic pellets. The marshels creek flea market has many people selling them and great prices on them. The one at the 209 end of the middle building has the best prices and selection. Just have to be over 18 to buy them out here.

Crazy- Crazy-
Apr '11

Godfather Airsoft does repairs. My son has had a few guns back for repair and we've been satisfied with their service. We had a bad experience buying online from a catalog company...gun didn't work...sent back...had to pay shipping and a return fee. Never again!

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Apr '11

"I bought him a target, but he tends to shoot his sisters. They shoot back :-)"

Love it!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Eye protection definitely. My nephews love playing with theirs. I would recommend they be treated like real firearms if you ever transport them (they look very realistic, keep out of view in trunk). Last thing you need is to be pulled over and have someone think it's a real weapon. Make sure your kids don't try to remove or paint over the orange safety tip to make it look "more real". Be respectful of neighbor's property (don't let your neighbor wake up to find the pool full of little yellow pellets!) Be aware of where they play, so somebody doesn't panic and calll the police saying there's a bunch of armed people running around. Also teach them to NEVER point them at another person unless that other person is playing with them, with proper eye protection on. Just me, but I would keep these things locked up like real guns until they ask to play with them and you know where they are going and what they are doing with them. Kids do dumb stuff.

Bruin Bruin
Apr '11

one of my close friends is opening an airsoft arena in town.... might be a safer alternative to let him try it with all the safety equipment in a controlled enviroment and see how u feel about them before buying him his own.... just a suggestion

dismom dismom
Apr '11

Dismom,

Where might this arena be and when will it be opening?

concerned mom
Apr '11

So cool these look like real fire arms little orange tip or not some one came in my house with one I will Cap a 45 in them and not feel bad what are they nuts

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Apr '11

We need a decent paintball field in this area, I go all the time in pa and some in nj but theyr too far away.

nj2011 nj2011
Apr '11

concerned mom.... arena is opening in Hackettstown..

dismom dismom
Apr '11

and the plan is for an Aug opening

dismom dismom
Apr '11

Make sure that they use "bios", bio-degradable pellets if they are going to play outside. It's a rule at our house.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Apr '11

Just putting this out there, there an Airsoft store right here in great meadows. Cobra 1 Tactical across from nykuns deli on Rt.46. Everything from start up Airsoft weapons to top of the line guns are sold as well as all the gear needed. Cobra 1 Tactical is also in the begging stages of opening a 50 acre outdoor aisoft field. More information can be found at Cobra 1 Tactical on face book.

The kids will love that, if you open a field! They know about your store. My suggestion is to stock bio pellets to make the parents happy. Maybe a few different weights. Also, if I were you I wouldn't beg :)

Jun '11

I just read this forum post to my Son...He would be THRILLED to have something like that in this area!

MelissaM MelissaM
Jun '11

Here is a link to the facebook page for the Indoor airsoft arena opening in Hackettstown

Stryker Airsoft
https://www.facebook.com/StrykerAirsoft

dismom dismom
Jun '11

Thank you for the information! You made my sons day!

MelissaM MelissaM
Jun '11

Just reread my last post, lol I blame my "smart phone". Yes Cobra 1 is in the "beginning" stages of our outdoor field. We also offer Airsoft training classes for the new Airsofter (Airsoft 101) to the more professional players or teams planning on attending "Mil-Sim" type games. Cobra 1 also has a Airsoft Armorer who is reconized and respected by one of Airsofts major suppliers on hand for repairs and custom builds. Our inventory changes on a daily basis and can order you what you want if we dont have it in stock. We are also in the process of building our web site and expanding our retail area to offer more for all your outdoor needs. And yes we do have 'BIO-BB's" which will be mandatory at our field, so they'll always be on hand. Feel free to stop in!

Re: Airsoft guns

Hello. I am reading all your posts and wanted to jump in with some information for you. Stryker airsoft is a 15,000 square foot indoor airsoft arena located at 13 Rt 57, Hackettstown. We are hoping to open in August or September. Our goal is to provide a safe, challenging, and enjoyable airsoft experience for all ages. We will be providing birthday party packages as well as private events. The facility will include a rental shop, retail store, consessions, and a viewing area for parents and siblings. We look for input and suggestions as we continue construction.

Please follow our progress at:

http://www.StrykerAirsoftNJ.com
or
http://www.facebook.com/StrykerAirsoft

strykerconnie strykerconnie
Jun '11

thought some of you would be interested

OPEN HOUSE Today @ Stryker Airsoft
3-6
Come Check out the Construction
The arena is not open for playing yet, but they would love to get some feedback

13 route 57... Hackettstown NJ

dismom dismom
Jul '11

Where is 13 route 57? Is that the roller rink?

htownchik htownchik
Jul '11

yes it in the same the building ...Styker is to the left...
and the Open House was yesterday ( Sat)....

dismom dismom
Jul '11

cobral one tactical

whoknew192
Jul '11

Stryker Airsoft will be opening on Thursday, September 1 at 4:00. We will be having a grand opening later in September. Please check our website www.strykerairsoftnj.com for hours of operation and prices.

connie smetana connie smetana
Aug '11

my son has an airsoft gun, and my biggest complaint.... was when he didn't have the lid on the bottle of pellets and they spilled all over the place... I still on occasion find a pellet. I just never ever aloud him to shout towards people...he always did some kind of target practice... but had lots of fun. He always had to respect it as if it was a "real" gun. Now he goes to the range with his dad and shoots real guns.. which he likes a lot more.

Cheryl71 Cheryl71
Aug '11

hey Styker Airsoft are u opening today cause of the flooding??

dismom dismom
Sep '11

"never ever aloud him to shout towards people"

huh?

Sep '11

oops... should be shoot towards people.

Cheryl71 Cheryl71
Sep '11

Oh, I was referring to that, and "aloud". Unless you meant that you wanted him to shout out loud toward people? Or is he allowed to shoot at people, if they are shouting out loud?

Sep '11

Why sonny, when we were young, we didn't have any of them new fangled air swirl guns so we just bundled up, put the safety glasses on and grabbed the bb guns. Two pumps only allowed.....

Once, our neighbor, William Smith, came through the woods to see what the comotion was with all the kdis with guns. Little did he know, and little did we know, that since he was the only thing moving --- it was fire at Will from all sides. BBs were bouncing around him everwhere, thank goodness for all the trees (and bad aim).

Worked well until One-eye missed Pok-face and hit the sliding glass door. Between that and all the feathers leaking from our down vests all over the house, we had to give it up and move on.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Sep '11

Stryker Airsoft will be open tonight as of right now. The water level is going down and the police are working on getting the roads open.

connie smetana connie smetana
Sep '11

We bought an 250.00 Airsoft for our son at Godfather on Rt. 22. It broke within days and we took it back for repair under their "free repair" period. The kept it for 3 months and when we got it back they had just juryrigged it and not repaired it. So they stalled. They dragged their feet.

We complained. They refused to do anything. Then it broke again and since it is now over the 3 month period, they won't do anything and we would need to pay $$$ to get it fixed correctly like it should have been fixed in the beginning.

I would NEVER buy from them again. I would advise others not to buy from them either. They have a lot of stuff but they didn't honor their "policy" with me and it was as bad as dealing with one of those internet companies.

One of my friends bought an Airsoft from Dicks and got the extended protection. When the gun broke, she took it back and it was fixed without an issue.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Sep '11

www.theairsoftfactory.com The biggest and best place to play indoor airsoft by a long shot.

Mike Jagger Mike Jagger
Nov '11

Stryker Airsoft has a new swanky commercial -- look for it on Comcast : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fawyaQbNpI

Wendy @ HKT BID Wendy @ HKT BID
May '12

There are absolutely laws regarding Airsoft guns, they are treated exactly the same as other real guns in the state of NJ. NJ law:

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons.
b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

YOU CAN NOT CARRY THESE AROUND WITH YOU. You can transport them to and from the "range". You have to transport them in the same manner as real guns.

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

Law on transporting them:

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

CeTea
Oct '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.