Any news on Smokehouse re-opening?

Anybody heard anything? Maybe talked to the owner at their Andover location?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '11

Rich shut down the Andover location. He was using the Independence one as his "cooking station", didn't work out so well when the Smokehouse burned. Latest "rumor" is that Rich is NOT opening Smokehouse. Straight from the mouth of a bartended that worked there til it caught on fire.

Party Patty Party Patty
Mar '11

When was Andover shut down? My father-in-law was there 2-3 weeks ago.

Mar '11

I just drove past the Andover location a little over a week ago and it was open! Even the website still is up just no mention of Independence location!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Mar '11

I drove by yesterday and it looked open...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Mar '11

the Andover location that is...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Mar '11

I went by Wed and thought the same thing.

They posted their new web site on Facebook a few days ago:

Smokehouse BBQ
Check out our new website!!!
March 8 at 10:16pm

Smokehouse BBQ
Stop in Andover for the our Family Special...a whole chicken, 1/2 rack of ribs, french fries and rice! For only $20! Take out only. (973) 940-7334!
March 5 at 9:57pm

They only list the Andover location on their FB page and on their website, for whatever that's worth:
http://www.smokehousebbqnj.com/

HoldEm HoldEm
Mar '11

This is bad....very, very bad.....

Mar '11

Wow, that stinks! Smokehouse had become a family favorite.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Mar '11

Where do you people get your info??? I saw this post while looking thru HLife Forum & couln';t believe someone posted that the Andover Smokehouse closed. We just ate there last night--Friday, March 18th!!! However, I did ask the waitress when the Indep one was reopening and she said she didn't know when and actually she didn't think it would be. Now--I'm only repeating what she said--not making my own conclusions. We love The Smokehouse, too & miss the Bar Pie Pizzas!!!

Not4Nuttin' Not4Nuttin'
Mar '11

Not4nutin-1 person said it was closed and then 5 people said they weren't! So "YOU PEOPLE" as you stated should read "PARTY PATTY".

Relax..................ALOT of us miss Smokehouse!

Christine Christine
Mar '11

i went a couple of times to the Smokehouse, decent food & friendly people. Just one question...do they actually smoke the meat there? If they did you would be able to smell it in the neighborhood big time. (plus never see any smoke from the smokers)

vicnity
Mar '11

Yes, at the Independence location they actually did smoke all the meat there. The smokers were out back.

Mar '11

Does anyone know if they have if they have the games (video etc. ) in the Andover location? My little guy loved that about the place:)

blackcat blackcat
Mar '11

i drove by the Hackettstown smokehouse today...there is a dumpster in the parking lot...it looks like they are cleaning the place out

oldman oldman
Mar '11

Cleaning it out as in renovating or vacating?

snapper
Mar '11

there was a big dumpster in the parking lot...i did not see a moving van...looked they were throwing out junk

oldman oldman
Mar '11

Cleaning the place out after a fire is the 1 step to a renovation as well as a vacating. So who knows.

Mar '11

...I meant 1st step...

Mar '11

The Andover location is very much open an very busy. All the meat iis smoked n the back of the restaurant everyday. I dont know who would say that Andover is closed but it is open I assure you! check out their new website for new special...www.smokehousebbqnj.com

Bobby Bobby
Apr '11

I saw a hand painted sign out front of the Independence location saying "Coming Soon Smokehouse"

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '11

there are now 2 large dumpsters in the parking lot...and the hand painted sign still is there also...no other changes

oldman oldman
Apr '11

I never realized how much I enjoyed the Smokehouse until it was gone. I wish for it all the time now.

Reggie Reggie
Apr '11

Rich is NOT re-opening the Smokehouse in Independence. The Andover location is up and running. I wish Rich the best of luck.

Snoopy Snoopy
Apr '11

The sign is from the original owners, blown off by the wind and rain. Disregard. It is up for sale.

Snoopy Snoopy
Apr '11

Not for nothing but I wish allof you who post on the forum would get your facts wright before you post, alot of youhaveno idea what you are talking about...

justsaying justsaying
Apr '11

So what is the correct info?

Firefly Firefly
Apr '11

Not for nothing but if you're going to lecture someone, you should first learn how to spell and type.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '11

trust me it has been sold/

vicnity
Apr '11

2 businesses there, 2 fires....

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Apr '11

Thank the lord! This town needs another place to have cocktails and beers at. Lord knows, the rest of them are overpriced, boring and hell-a-lame.

PARTy PATTY PARTy PATTY
Apr '11

Alas The Smokehouse will not be re-opening.

midnightgardener1 midnightgardener1
Apr '11

vicnity, please PM !!!

Snoopy Snoopy
Apr '11

So STILL nobody has any idea what they're talking about...

Apr '11

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

vicnity vicnity
Apr '11

I am so disappointed I liked the Smokehouse and I loved that it was so close.

Teacher
Apr '11

vicinity,

How about some facts then, instead of just "trust me"?

Apr '11

Sorry, not trying to be a tease. just know it has been sold. All the paper work is getting done. Don't think it's my place to say who the new owner(s) are till they wish to announce it. Again, not trying to string anyone along, just saying that I knew it had been sold.

vicnity vicnity
Apr '11

Well, if that's true and there will no longer be a Smokehouse here in the Hacks area, I will be sorely disappointed. We need more privately-owned restaurants and fewer chains. Smokehouse was great. I won't be driving to andover for it tho. Even if I did, it would only be a weekend thing. Sorry Rich.

Apr '11

The sale is public record and all you have to do is wait for it to become available.

Christine Christine
Apr '11

Pass the Popcorn!! :))

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Apr '11

Re: Any news on Smokehouse re-opening?

The popcorn is getting really stale. Can't anyone be original already and find a new snack?
Besides, if you are looking for good bar food (Smoked or not) go to the Five Points. Dinner for two (Broiled Scallops, Salad, Fries, mashed or Baked, bread) with 4 20 oz beers and two glasses of wine for $30.....can't do that here in Jersey.

Tom Cat Tom Cat
Apr '11

Damn Cat, if I've told him once......stay off my lap.....top!

John C John C
Apr '11

Tom, you know I was busting chops with that pass the popcorn stuff, seems that phrase has taken a bashing on some other threads, it was a bit too tempting to not use it based on the post above mine.

Agree, Five Points, over in PA, Mt.Bethel I think, does a nice job with their food. Since they renovated the place seven or eight years ago, it actually is not all that bad.

I am still partial to the Log Cabin, down Rt.46 in Knowlton. Gotta dig the pizza, the atmosphere and all. Anyone can feel at home there.

Apr '11

OMG! You gotta love cats!

Good bar food isn't hard to find. Good bbq IS.

Apr '11

I got it. Rhyme Animal.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '11

This morning there was a guy outside painting a line through the words on the hand made sign.

"This morning there was a guy outside painting a line through the words on the hand made sign."

Wow, that sounds classy....LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

I don't understand why they don't just take that sign down! Instead of crossing out words. LOL

He painted over Smokehousebbq...but left the Coming Soon.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Apr '11

Predator, you know TO much.

But I got you figgerd out.

Your gonna open a Hot dog palace there arnt ya?

THE MAN THE MAN
Apr '11

if only someone would open a tavern...with a good bar pizza pie...does anyone remember when taverns were noted for having great food...each tavern had a special food...a hotdog...or pizza or a hamburger...and you went there to quench your thirst...and have that special meal...for lunch or after work...

oldman oldman
Apr '11

I can think of two places off the bat that were great taverns with good food: Sunset Inn,in Clinton, used to be just a bar with booths around the room and the bar in the middle. In the next room, they had the best garlicky pizza! Unfortunately, when they upgraded with all the yuppies moving in during the '80s, they lost their touch.
The other one was the Mendham Village Pub(with the famous MVP sandwich!) , which was a great mixture of blue and white collar folk who would converge after work for beer and great food. (also had Donky Kong Jr!) They went the same way as Sunset Inn-tried to upgrade and blew it. Closed not too long after.

Sunset Inn is actually not too bad. DH and I eat there occasionally. They still serve pizza, although I have never tried it.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

For tavern, I love the LV Brew Pub. Been going there since it first opened (was actually there the weekend it opened... it was the 1st NJ Brewers Fest!)

Apr '11

Bars are going to go the way of libraries.

Unless they are in hotels or cities, where the patrons don't have to drive home, there is no way that they will ever be as popular as they once were.

Apr '11

Really Calico? I haven't been there in a long, long time. Maybe I'll have to give it another try. I just miss the ambiance of the crusty old bar I guess!

Reggie Voter, I'm curious, have people suddenly stopped drinking and driving? Never. I can't see bars dying off because people will always be irresponsible. Besides that, there are plenty of people that do patronize bars that are responsible or at least bring a responsible person with them.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '11

Tracy - Actually, I know a lot of people who don't go to bars anymore due to the lower blood alcohol limit and higher presence of cops. The combination of that and bad economy has cause many local pubs to close in the last few years.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '11

Reggie Voter --- Between insurance costs and declining drinking I think it'll end up being just the big chains buying up the liquor licenses. Just like Mom & Pop Coffee Shops, Hardware stores, clothing stores, the Big Box Corporate locations are what you're going to see more of..... very sad....

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '11

Now somebody painted the word "NOT" on the top of both sides of the sign.

Robster Robster
Apr '11

I see the word sign reads now "NOT OPENING SOON" with "SMOKEHOUSEBBQ" brushed out with white paint.

Personally< I think they are just messing with the sign to see that people actually are posting what is on the sign, as I just did.

I guess it worked! haha

(BTW- the child like brush painting of the letters is amusing, but it is just making an eyesore a bigger one)

Apr '11

I can assure you that the building nor the business has been sold. it hasnt even been placed on the market yet. you all need to get your facts straight because when you talk out of your ass you look like idiots!

franky franky
Apr '11

Was in the vicinity of Andover on 206 today and finally saw the other location. Guess that answered my question if they had the video games like the one in Independece. Oh well.

blackcat blackcat
Apr '11

So STILL no answer... Im gonna' have to drive to Andover and ask Rich myself!

Apr '11

Oldman: I posted the same thought you have awhile ago..just a neighhood bar would do great...no fancy anything..just a place to meet friends and bs about everything!

critter45 critter45
Apr '11

Dear Franky, no need to be cranky.

The sign looks like crap now- and makes the job of either rebuilding or renovating to be an amaterish operation.

Either rip down the child like scrawed painted sign, or put something somewhat business like up- just makes the place look more dumpy and unappealing while it is undergoing whatever is going on.

Apr '11

Ahem, rumor has it it's Pietro's. But again, it's a rumor.

Party Patty Party Patty
Apr '11

I thought that the place needs a new septic system? So whatever business goes in there is going to have that as a start-up expense.

Apr '11

Rich has decided to just stay with the Andover location.It is easy, no Bar...less hours.
The other building will be up for Sale....I wish him the best of Luck, He's a great guy in my book.

since'66 since'66
Apr '11

since'66

Did you get this from Rich himself?

Apr '11

I think there's some franky-panky going on here.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '11

The building is not owned by Rich as was stated way back in this post, so he has nothing to do with it as far as it being for sale etc. I also would say it is up to the owner of the building to fix the septic not the tenant, so that should not affect start up costs for any new business going in there.

GMmom GMmom
Apr '11

so what *IS* happening with the smokehouse?

no more smoke?

(where's there's smoke there's fire)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '11

Yes its opening up but will not be the smokehouse, it is going to be owned by Pietro's down on 46 by blockbuster. going to be something fresh and total redo of the place. they have already starting redoing the place

Jim ITC Jim ITC
Apr '11

I guess the new owner isn't expecting a lot of business, there's no place to park. The overflow and smell of septic should keep the crowd down to a minimum anyway.

Pinky Pinky
Apr '11

i just passed by there...today...the lights are on and they are still cleaning up the inside...the septic needs a repair...

oldman oldman
Apr '11

From Rich's mouth (via parents-in-law):

The Hackettstown locale will not be re-opening. Because the PARKING situation has changed: the lot beside that he was leasing for extra parking is going to be sold, and the meager parking lot of the SH would not be enough (definitely not, if you've ever been there.) So that's it. The fire was just the last straw that made trying to stay there unfeasible.

I don't know why any other restaurant would try there if the small lot is all there is.

Apr '11

Okay, just passed the old Smokehouse on my way back from the dump.

Lot's of activity, folks power-washing, cleaning the inside - at least 5 cars parked there. Any intel out there?

trekster3 trekster3
May '11

Yes- Pietros is opening a place there. Their original place will still be near Target as well. The owner Mr.Coyne (sp) is looking to sell the building.

Pietro's --- YEA !!!!!

May '11

Pietro's ---- GROSS!!!! ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
May '11

Awesome! Pietros on both ends of town!

notreally notreally
May '11

Really Pietro's? Ugh! I only had their pizza and that was horrible. I won't even try the rest of their food. But I guess enough people like them that are able to open a second restaraunt so good for them. I wish them luck and hope it's successful.

jrsemom jrsemom
May '11

I love Pietro's food. Have for about 20 years or so. I can't say I care for their pizza though.

Firefly Firefly
May '11

i heard Pietros was moveing up there because the landlord of the current property wants alot more $$ each month..i was under the impression thhey were moveing out of the place on 46 alltogether.

Ginger Ginger
May '11

Pietro's has been terrible ever since they changed owners. At one time it was one of the best places to eat in Hackettstown. No more.

Jules
May '11

Actually I find sometime's P's is good, sometimes not --- but always too much food for the buck !!! Hope we only get the good stuff in the new location!!!!!

May '11

Pietro's: when you value quantity over quality...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '11

Well said ianimal.

Calico696 Calico696
May '11

Smokehouse has opened another location in somerville. It opened October 17th. I just got some grub from there and it is amazing as ever 45 west main street in somerville not as close as before but still glad they were able to open up again somewhere else.

CM Burns CM Burns
Nov '11

Main St Somerville... is that down in the "old town"? Nowhere around the mall, right?

Nov '11

No its down 28 a little after the somerville circle on the right. it used to be a lebanese place called cedars i think.

CM Burns CM Burns
Nov '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.