Liola's BBQ - Long Valley

I posted this on Long Valley Life Forum, but thought some of you would like to know...

DH picked up the recession buster tonight for dinner. It comes with seasoned fries adn rice pilaf. We also ordered the baked beans and grilled vegetables. Everything was delicious and nicely seasoned. You really get a lot of food for the money. Unfortunately, DH was told business has been very slow, I'm sure in part because of the weather. The owner said he wasn't sure he'd be able to stay open!! Such a shame, because this is a very unique restaurant. Seriously, we don't need another pizza joint around here. And before anyone asks, no, I don't work there!!

Please give it a try if it's something you are thinking about.

3wbdwnj
Feb '11

What exactly is the recession buster? I know you mentioned what it comes with, but what's the main dish? Ribs? Shredded pork? BBQ Chicken?

the meat is a whole large chicken and 1/2 rack of ribs. Think dry rub on the ribs, not gooey bbq sauce. His bbq sauce comes on the side.

3wbdwnj
Feb '11

Menu online?

iPadJay iPadJay
Feb '11

www.liolas.com

3wbdwnj
Feb '11

Ok I will bite since it is not mentioned...Where is this place?

Steve-0 Steve-0
Feb '11

Directly across from Hoffman's Supply on E. Mill Rd. (rt 24) in Long Valley.

3wbdwnj
Feb '11

Sounds delicious---may give it a try. What was the price of the recession buster? How many will it feed? Big chicken or little chicken?

cosmo cosmo
Feb '11

It's where Tina's was (if you knew Tina's). The recession buster is $20 and is a big chicken with the 1/2 rack ribs. I think it could feed 3 adults very well.

skeeter
Feb '11

Sounds good. I will have to try and get to this place. I agree that it's unfortunate so many unique places like this are slow and can't stay open. People need to open their minds to new foods but so often play it safe.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '11

Do they have their own smoker? I've honestly never heard of them. Working in the past for two BBQ joints I would think I would have heard about them. I wish them the best through this rough time though.

Snoopy Snoopy
Feb '11

Looks like they are continuing the Portuguese BBQ which is marinated meats over real charcoal. Should be very good. I will get there soon, I hope others give them a try as well.

iPadJay iPadJay
Feb '11

Snoopy, they just opened a few weeks ago. It used to be Tina's for a short time before that.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '11

DH and I tried the Recession Buster tonight for dinner. We enjoyed it. Rack of beef ribs, whole chicken, rice and french fries. BBQ and aioli type sauce on the side. $20 for a ton of food, we have plenty of leftovers. The fries were a little soggy but tasty. The chicken was moist and DH enjoyed the ribs.

We never tried Tina's so we can't make a comparison, but definitely will order again.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '11

The ribs are seasoned even better than Tina's was, they're just the best. The chicken is quite tender but it's not got the seasoning to it. Maybe Tina's was a bitter better in that regard, but that's not to say the chicken isn't still pretty good at Liola's. The thing about the fries is they put them in with the hot meat to keep it all hot by the time you get home. (don't snitch on the way home or it'll get cold when unsealed!!) Soggy comes from the steam but at least they're still OK. Tina's used to put the rice and beans with the fries and gave you two containers. The fries could be cold by the time you got them home depending on how far away you are.

I drive by there all the time. Never seen it. Will definitely try out out.

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
Feb '11

Glad you enjoyed it, Calico!

Tracy Tracy
Feb '11

Not much for me there since I am a veggie head, but the apple pie baked beans sounded intriguing... wonder if they have ham in them? Anyone try them yet? I am thinking they would be sweet/savory, my favorite combo...

Sandy Sandy
Feb '11

Takeout/delivery French fries always suck, in my experience... like GC said, they steam in their containers and are soggy and nasty by the time you get to eat them.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Feb '11

They do get a little soggy, but they're not nasty. They have a nice seasoning on them and they crisp up nice in the toaster oven, even after being refrigerated.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '11

Crap Tracy, I wish I would have known about your toaster oven reheat experience! We threw the fries out and only saved the leftover meat and rice. I figured they would be a lost cause after sitting in the fridge for a couple days. :(

They certainly were tasty, just limp....LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '11

These tend to soak up some juices from the meat and that's why they aren't as bad as you would think.

In my experience, when you take a properly cooked fry that has been made soggy and cook it more to get rid of the surface moisture, they become over-cooked and grainy inside... but admittedly, I have never eaten here, so perhaps the meat juices prevent this from happening, like GC opined (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Feb '11

We didn't like it at all. Won't be going back.

Smitty Smitty
Mar '11

I had the chicken sandwich there recently, take out. The sandwich was so freakin' big, I couldn't pick it up to eat it. Used a fork and knife. Huge piece of chicken on a very large bun. Moist chicken, very tasty. Fries were all in another large styrofoam takeout container. Done just the way I like em, kind of crisp, but not overcooked. I live about five minutes away, so I opened the fries as soon as I got home to avoid the soggy steamed effect. You get your money's worth there. I eat like a bear and couldn't finish all the fries. Never tried the place when it was Tina's, seems like it was always closed then. I talked to the guy who owns the place now and the lady behind the counter. Both very friendly, another plus. Too bad I'm so passionate about grilling my own, or I'd be back sooner.

Bruin Bruin
Mar '11

Finally made it to Liola's tonight. I got the BBQ combo, chicken and ribs. The chicken was very tasty and the ribs were very good. Hubby and I will definitely go back. Next time I'll try the fries since I'm one of those strange ones who loves soggy fries!

Pretty good food but the chicken really has nothing on it. But, some good BBQ sauce on the side is provided. Rice is good, they offer beans, fries are good. The only problem is that the chicken is not really Portuguese and since you add your own sauce (but good) it really is not BBQ. Liola's is definitely trying to find their way... I'll go back, but they need to tweak their menu offering. Nice people and they seem to want to aim to please. They won't please the "el-cheapos" who want to pay KFC prices, but that goes without saying...

Tried the "recession buster" last night for 20 bucks. Great value, enough chicken, ribs, fries, and rice for four adult size meals! Served with a red sauce and a white sauce on the side. Never had white sauce before, dipped chicken in it and loved it! Whole chicken is already cut up for you, and is incredibly moist. He had his BBQ trailer near the front and had been slow cooking pork butts for the pulled pork all day. I made sure as soon as I got home I opened the container and moved the fries into a paper towel lined basket. They were a little moist from the steam, but not bad. Maybe I'll grab a six pack and eat in the restaurant next time to get the fries fresh without steam effect.

Bruin Bruin
Mar '11

Finally got to this place and was not disappointed....got the Sausage and Frites sandwiches - Chorizo sausage with peppers, onions and french fries...similar to an Italian Hot Dog but with some kick....super nice owner got plenty of food for the price.

Passed by today...looks like out of business or just changing names ?

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Oct '11

Another place I never made it to!

Bessie Bessie
Oct '11

The original link now opens to "Herbie's Fresh" a new business that claims to be opening in October. The website does have a number to call and directions to what had been the location for Liola's. Hopefully it will be as good as the business that was there!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '11

Yes, closed.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '11

Damn shame. I usually do my own BBQ, but when pressed for time or lazy, that was definitely good BBQ.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.