Hotdog Frank Or Weiner whats correct the name

Hotdog  Frank Or Weiner whats correct the name

to settle this matter once and for all...what is the difference between a hotdog...frank or weiner...when i go to the store they have franks..hotdogs and weiners...and better yet...contribute your best ways...of cooking the hotdogs/franks/weiners...

oldman oldman
Jan '11

I think it depends on what it is made out of (looking for a good link)

Brad
Jan '11

First, it's a wiener, not weiner since it's named after a city, not a drink.

It depends on whether you're here or in Germany what it means. In Germany there is no such thing as a 'hot dog', franks are sausages made of pork, and wieners are similar sausages made of a pork/beef combination with a slightly different spice mixture often a bit more garlic and possibly some paprika. Still the franks and wieners in Germany probably have the same origin and it's just a slight regional variation.

In the US, the three are pretty well the same thing to most people. There isn't such a set idea of what they're supposed to contain. However, at least to me, the term "hot dog" means not just the sausage, but the bun as well. People will also use it to mean just the sausage, but frank or wiener is usually just the sausage. Because it means both, it's a more generic term to me that also means any kind of sausage in a bun - can mean even chicken as well. You'll see "chicken franks" as well so that to some extent is generic, but I've never seen the term "chicken wiener". In the US at least, wiener to me is always a pork or pork/beef sausage.

I always call it a "hot dog", that's what I grew up with.

BTW- anybody know where to find an ALL-PORK hot dog? Good hot dog stands usually sell them, but I can't find them ANYWHERE to buy (for home.)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '11

Our family always called them hotdogs...that is unless they were from Oscar Meyer and then it was a Oscar Meyer Weiner..lol

joyful joyful
Jan '11

My Mom calls them frankfurters (sp?).

anon
Jan '11

I would try Barth's Pork Store in New Providence for pork hot dogs.

little red express
Jan '11

JeffersonRepub
GO TO aLPINE MEATS in blairstown nj they will make them for you

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jan '11

I work in PA and a lot of folks call them tube steaks. I'll never understand PA folks.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '11

My father-in-law goes to alpine... so they don't actually carry them, I have to have them MADE?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '11

There is a German pork store called Lutzs on the "main" street(forget actual name) in Union , NJ. The dogs there are home made frankurters and they are the best that I ever had for sure. There are not many stores like Lutzs around anymore. At Christmas they have three kinds of Stolen, good luck German Marzipan pigs, etc.There use to be a large German community in Union(including my Dad and grandparents).

BobR. BobR.
Feb '11

Hi BobR... i grew up in Union as well.... i remember Lutzs and Werners German Butcher as well. i can still remember the awesome smell walking in those places... ahhh the good old days!

NJ2FL05
Feb '11

Wiener comes from Vienna all beef. Frank comes from Frankfurt beef pork mix

Correction. Vienna is the mix. Frankfurt is beef. Sorry

Hey BobR and NJ2FL05, what a small world! I remember Lutzs well...They are on Stuyvesant Avenue in Union...I grew up on Stuyvesant(right near the Old Homestead) by the Union/Irvington border...The smell of that place was amAzing! The butchers would give us kids free pieces of bologna...

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Mar '12

Found these two links (get it? links - lol) interesting reading ~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

http://www.hot-dog.org/ht/d/sp/i/38594/pid/38594

Now I want a hot dog on a bun ~ : )

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '12

You can try Schwinds Pork store on 46 in Rockaway. Their hot dogs and wursts are very good

Then again I think there is nothing like a good ole dirty water dog staight off a cart in NYC.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '12

I dont get it Hotdogs its Franks Weiner ? lol

There hot dogs

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Mar '12

For the best wursts go to HalloBerlin Restaurant & Beer Garden. NYC. 10th ave btwn 44 & 45th.

There is Shwinds Pork Store on Rt. 46 in Rockaway
He may have all pork weiners / dogs / sausages / franks / whatever.

http://www.schwindsporkstore.com/

He is not Cheap..but we like their sausages and home made Meats products.

Another place..we take a nice Saturday ride out to is right off 78 in PA

http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/index.htm

They have some awesome meats and coldcuts...and very very reasonable.
The bacon..is the best we ever had..... I love the liverwursts they make.

embryodad embryodad
Mar '12

Easy BBQ’d Frankfurters ( *You can take the cheapest hot dogs, and make them into a delicacy ) Great for take along for BBQ's

½ Cup Chopped Onion
2 Tbs. Brown Sugar (Dark or Light)
¼ tsp. Black Pepper
1 Cup Catsup
2 Tbs. Fat (cooking oil)
2 tsp. Vinegar
3 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
½ tsp. Prepared Mustard
½ Cup Diced Celery
¾ Cup Water
12 Frankfurters …( hot dogs )…( cut in half lengthwise )
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Place all ingredients in a Cast Iron covered pot; give a quick stir to blend …..add the frankfurters, bake in a 350°F oven for 1-½ Hr. …(or)…Crock Pot (slow cooker ) 6 Hr. on LOW.
Can do on simmer on cook top covered also…approx. 3 hrs. stirring occasionally

Serve suggestions on split top hot dog rolls // Fried potatoes or French Fries // Baked Beans.

embryodad embryodad
Mar '12

@ BobR. and NJ2FL05 I too used to live in Union before moving to Warren County....for anyone interested here is the address:

Lutz's Pork Store
1055 Stuyvesant Avenue, Union Township, NJ 07083
(908) 688-1373

Unionguy Unionguy
Apr '12

Fried Sabretts with fried sauerkraut:) and a nice cold Yoohoo to wash them down.

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '12

Franks or made from one type of meat (All Beef, chicken, turkey, etc.).
Wieners are made from more than one type of meat.
Once you add the bun, only then does it officially become a "hot dog", despite that fact that some cheap varieties of wieners are sometimes labeled hot dogs.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.