Alot of Hermits in the area?

Curious, just moved to Panther Valley, and literally 3 of the 5 condos next to mine i never see anyone come outside or move their cars so they're literally just staying in their homes for weeks on end except when I've seen one guy take his garbage out at 3am in the morning. I have no problem with it, just an observation. Is this normal around here?

AlWainright
May '23

I don't think so. Some people just keep to themselves and have various schedules.
However they may be wondering why you are watching them take out their trash at 3am... LMAO!

Just living our lives the way we want to - not wanting to spy on the neighbors...

4catmom 4catmom
May '23

ps - how did you happen to be watching at 3am?

4catmom 4catmom
May '23

I remember that night. At 3 am, I was actually watching the person, who was watching the guy, taking his garbage out. It made for an interesting evening, for us hermits. I would like to know why someone was watching me, watching the person, watching the guy taking out his garbage at 3 am.
Seriously though, some people have painful, depressive health problems. After months of having untreated pain and/or mental illness, some people lose touch with neighbors, friends and family. I’m not indicating that this is the particular situation but I’m not saying it’s not, either.
Continue to be a good neighbor. If you want to go to them and introduce yourself, do it after 2pm. If you’re met with an abrupt ending, just give them your phone number. Offer to get together, on their terms and say “in the meantime, if you need help with anything, I’m here”. That’s being a good neighbor. “Hermit’s” who are experiencing health issues usually can’t fall asleep until 6-8am…or whenever the ailments give them a chance.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
May '23

I have a neighbor with a very early commute who does that . A couple of times wild animals spread his garbage all over his yard so he puts it out about an hour before sanitation collects it .

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '23

You don't live in the city.

They could be fully remote workers, I like the advice introduce your self. As you stated the post that started this string ….”just moved to” maybe they want to meet you but are the shy to make that first step.

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
May '23

How would anyone on this forum possibly know?

Consigliere
May '23

For the record, I was taking out my trash at 3:07am that day. I was watching the person watching me who was being watched by the other person, but they failed to notice the person watching the person who was watching the person who was watching me.

ManAboutTown ManAboutTown
May '23

Are you watching 24/7, because that's kind of creepy. People don't go to stores as much now, or work from home, could be disabled, and a thousand other reasons. It's not like the old days or a neighborhood of homes. I don't see all my neighbors much, because we all don't leave our condos at the same time.

DogDayAfternoon
May '23

4catmom, well it's hard to stay asleep when you hear some guy dragging big garbage cans out in the middle of the night about 10 feet away from your bedroom window.

Sorry folks, didn't mean to offend. Yeah ok, the area is full of Hermits. I get it.

AlWainright
May '23

Fun fact, the original name of the area was know as Hermitstown until our most famous resident Samuel “Hermit” Hackett set the record for staying in his home for 391 days in a row. The town’s name was then changed to honor this incredible man.

Consigliere
May '23

I'm not a hermit, but many of my neighbors probably think I am. I leave the house before 6am every morning, and I'm never home before 6pm in the evening. We've been in Hackettstown for 5 years, and I have met a total of four neighbors. I'm literally more familiar with the staff at the restaurants we frequent than I am with the people on my block.

Monty Monty
May '23

I'll take quiet neighbors over loud and noisy white trash any day of the week and twice on Sunday !

97XBAM 97XBAM
May '23

97XBAM, what's wrong with "white trash". Most of us aren't loud or noisy.

AlWainright
May '23

DogDayAfternoon, No, I'm not nosy, but you start to notice things. are you dense and ignore life in general?

AlWainright
May '23

Consigliere, is that mafia humor? Seen a few Italians here, they look lost.

AlWainright
May '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic is unavailable for comments.