Unlicensed exterminators and other contractors

As a homeowner, would you consider hiring an unlicensed exterminator, or other contractor like flooring, windows, tree work? I say no. Spouse says I’m “over thinking it “. How do people get around having a neighbor or friend, obviously uninsured, help with home maintenance? What about teenagers? ( the few that still cut lawns or shovel snow ) Who is responsible for their liability? Injuries?
Then there’s the “fake documents” . How can I verify that the certificate of insurance is real? If anyone has some information or experience to share, I’d like to read about it. Thanks HtownLife!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Apr '23

I would never hire an unlicensed (and uninsured) contractor................kid mowing lawn or shoveling snow - no license - but your home owners insurance might be responsible if something happened while they were doing the work- hope this helps

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '23

Absolutely not.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '23

Verify their license and business information with the NJ Department of Consumer Affairs.

Verify Me
Apr '23

Nope.

Consigliere
Apr '23

Hi - I only hire licensed and insured contractors. You can verify their license on the computer. It will even say if it is expired or active. Type on google -looking up a contractors license in NJ. You can look it up by the business name or the person's name. As far as insurance goes - the name should be on the certificate with the address and phone number - Call up to verify the insurance and if its still active.

Definitely not overthinking it - licensed and insured - always!

You can hire kids and adults to do general work - check with your homeowners insurance first. Exterminators need to be licensed to apply pesticides - you can apply as a homeowner but you can't designate another person to do it for you. Dangerous work like trees and roofs by all means make sure the contractor has plenty of insurance.

bill1 bill1
Apr '23

Thank you, all. I’m grateful for the replies.

Apr '23

Certificates of insurance should always come directly from the insurance company or agent, not the contractor. Still, when in doubt you can call the agent to verify coverage.

diane629 diane629
Apr '23

Thank you, diane629! I didn’t think insurance companies would that. The internet, there is no privacy but getting the documents, from an actual human being, from the insurance company, I think would prove to be difficult. (I can’t stop using commas, sorry. LOL!) Privacy issues and such to prevent fraud. Before signing anything, I’ll see if this is a viable option.

Apr '23

Insurance companies do it routinely and quickly. As a kind of contractor all it takes is for me to authorize my agent to name the client as a beneficiary. The real issue is whether or not you actually have the insurance in the first place. So many vendors or all types don't even if they imply they do.

Re: Unlicensed exterminators and other contractors

G-R, the insurance certificate would look like this and your name and address would be listed in the "Certificate Holder" location at the bottom.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '23

I can’t wait to show the spouse all these replies. I win, again! Thanks, guys..gals!

Apr '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Unlicensed exterminators and other contractors
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.