Asbestos shingle leak

I live in an old house. Upper part is asbestos shingles. When we get a rainstorm with strong winds that blows the rain sideways one bedroom closet gets a leak. They have sealed the chimney that's right there, they have redone the attic window that is above that closet, they have put a lot of sealant around those shingles that the sideways rain is possibly getting in, and none of this has worked. Rain will also come into the attic, underneath the window which lines up with the closet leak. I don't know if that's the issue, I think that was addressed also OR as they say, the rain can be entering at any point outside above the closet and working it's way in. Who do I call for this? A roofer? A sider? Someone that specializes in these hateful shingles?

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Mar '23

Is the asbestos and leak from wall? Or attic?

Babbit Babbit
Mar '23

I honestly think that the closet leak is coming through the side of the house and not the attic because it's pretty instant. There is not a roof leak at all. I have seen water come into the attic from underneath the attic window. I think that was addressed and will have to check the next time it rains. Again, this only happens when it's a rain windstorm with the rain being blown sideways. If it's just a little bit windy and pouring down rain, it doesn't happen. The rain has to be driven sideways.

nutcracker nutcracker
Apr '23

OK, that helps. I take it the walls are closed. Is the siding shingles, or bigger sheets (it's been a long time, so don't remember all the forms of this "siding." Are the walls drywall or plaster? If plaster, you have got to do it from the outside.

You can try to examine from outside looking for holes. If shingles, this is harder since so many more places to gain entrance. If no luck, it gets more interesting.

You might blue poly a suspected section of the outside wall and see if that stops it, moving it around until you strike gold. I used lathe with wood screws to hold the poly, lathe is a couple bucks a board at HD and I would put a lot of screws on the top and far less on the sides and back to stop water from dripping in. Have caulk to fill your holes later. This is more painful if this condition happens maybe 5 days a year that you get these conditions. But if you are pretty sure you know the 4x4 section it occurs, it can work.

If it's drywall inside, you can cut a small hole and start looking to trace back to it's source. If plaster, don't even try. If walls are insulated, that's pretty tough too. Chances are the water falls pretty straight, at least at the exit point, for awhile. However, my last one came from the roof ridge shingles travelling the roof line for three feet, then fell to the attic rafter insulation, hit a rafter, went three feet back the other way, and exited from my drywall ceiling on my second floor. It too was only in certain storms, not even sideways, but East and torrential. It was lost when it hit the blown insulation, and hard to see at the roof ridge because, old house, burned timbers, very dark and hard to see water. Had to put plastic pans all over the place to catch drops. The real problem was by the time it leaked into the house, it was dry in the attic after the hours it took to drip through the ceiling. I actually put cameras on the pans because I got tired of running up for nothing.

OR OR ------and this may be both best and easiest, but most expensive. But, if you plan to sell the house in your lifetime, figure out how much you will lose over having asbestos given it will clux up almost every sale. Even if you price to cover, every buyer will push back looking for consideration. If you calculate cost to replace, and you can stomach the cost, you can fix the problem easy and enjoy the siding as long as you can before you sell. Doing it right before you sell seems like the worst deal.
And then it's an easy problem to solve!

I hate chasing water and it's really bad when it's only on certain occasions like yours. Hope this gives some ideas.

Babbit Babbit
Apr '23

The idea it gave me was to call someone in. Lol. Wow, that's a lot of good information but more than I'm prepared to deal with right now. My brother pointed something out on that side of the house so hopefully it's an easy fix and not painful $$$$. It appears that some of these shingles are buckled, not broken. And I hope the reason why doesn't turn out to be a can of worms.
Thank you!

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Apr '23

hey, it was the second paragraph --- that's great!!!!

water is a journey. you look for most probable, give it a shot, test, and if not working, move to paragraph 3 and repeat :>)

buckling might just be age, specially if on south or west wall, in the sun.

one mistake I have made over the years is waiting to update. IF you plan to sell in your lifetime, you should investigate what $$$$$ issues these will cause to your price and whether getting rid of them is worth the $$$$$ especially if it gives you pleasure. Often I have waited, done the fix, and moved wishing I had just bit the bullet and enjoyed the fix for a number of years.

good luck and hope it works out.

Babbit Babbit
Apr '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Asbestos shingle leak
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.