Superbowl Half time show last nite

What did you think of the Halftime Show?
Do you think it was "Family" oriented? Alot of young kids watch the Superbowl with their parents.
I personally did not like it nor did I find it entertaining.

pizzaguy
Feb '23

welcome to the party…I can’t remember a halftime show that *was* suitable for all ages.
Rihanna looked like she didn’t want to be there at all.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '23

If anyone remembers the "sperm" scene from Woody Allen's 'Everything You Would Want to Know About Sex'...that's what those hundreds of dancers in their ridiculous white costumes reminded me of.

For me, a good halftime show hinges on what genre of "music" is being offered. I'm open minded to a point, after that I change the channel and wait for the game to resume.

Last night I changed the channel.

only one truth only one truth
Feb '23

Re: Superbowl Half time show last nite

Only one truth. I couldn’t put my finger on it at the time, but that’s exactly what the dancers reminded me of !!

Local Gal Local Gal
Feb '23

It was all garbage. The game, commercials, fake national anthems.

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '23

It was about as typical as any Super Bowl Half Time of the last decade or two could be. If that's not what you wanted, don't watch a half time.

Local Gal ...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

YES! The visual certainly helps, thanks for posting. Too funny!

only one truth only one truth
Feb '23

Local Gal, only one truth, nailed it! Lol

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '23

Seems like it's not about music and team spirit or things like that. When it's women singers, it's always about grabbing crotches and dirty lyrics and so on. I wish it were more geared towards family. Talent does't win anymore. It's about background dancers, sexing things up, and so on. Then you get celebs there for just the performers at Halftime with no interest in the game. Geesh, let people who are diehard fans see the game there. (LOL - end of rant)

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '23

I disagree. I thought the National Anthem and "America the Beautiful" were both well done. The signing was also beautiful. While I'm not a huge Chris Stapleton, I thought his rendition of the very difficult Star Spangled Banner was very tastefully done.

I personally would love to go back to Marching Bands at halftime, but since that's never going to happen, I also didn't mind Rihanna's show. I thought her costuming was weird, but the staging was sensational, and she sang the hit songs that made her a star-without adding unnecessary glitz or hype.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Feb '23

I like the Bud commercials...
like the frog eating the fly, and the horse commercial a year or two ago.

Other than that, no go.

Too bad she thought it was necessary to grab her crotch.
No class!

pizzaguy
Feb '23

Rhiana just awful! Hated the whole half time.
Game was very good, though.

Joyce Polack Joyce Polack
Feb '23

I thought the backup dancers looked like hazmat workers!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Feb '23

I watched less than 2 minutes. That was 90 second too much.

Good to see the Oompa Loompa's found some work.

Good game though.

Too much pomp and circumstance for me. I would much rather go back to the old days where it was just a basic football game. any of you catch the photo they showed of the first Super Bowl with four guys at the center of 50 Yard line for the coin toss? what did they have like 25 this year?

Hadenough Hadenough
Feb '23

Music aside (which I thought was awful lol), I thought it was quite boring. Rhianna looked bored. While the platforms being raised high above the field was impressive from an engineering point of view, I really thought the whole thing was quite boring. No fire at all. Totally "phoned in".

Prince: now THAT was a halftime show!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '23

I stopped watching all sports and got rid of TV years ago. Sports are a totally fixed, fake and phony BS fest. I did see short clips of the halftime on social media. Clown show as usual.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '23

Calico, you did miss a great National Anthem by Chris Stapleton:

https://youtu.be/WFKXJ091Ed4

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '23

Her Philadelphia teams just lost the World Series and Super Bowl ergo all sports must be fixed . Hell I'd be happy if my overrated Cowboy team would just make it into a conference championship game - going on 28 years of futility now .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '23

It was a terrible halftime show but most headlines read that it was great.

A lip synched hot mess. Clearly a means to announce you're pregnancy to the world. The NFL hasn't been worth watching since the mid 90's. Seventies and eighties were the best. Now it's reduced to criminal gangsta players with a touch of WWE thrown in. No thanks.

Scotty Scotty
Feb '23

I think Philly lost in the MLS final a couple months ago, too... not that anyone was watching.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '23

Banned in Florida. At least that's what I heard. They are suing Rhiana, the NFL, and Tom Brady just because he's still on payroll :>)

Babbit Babbit
Feb '23

Here is my two cents. Great game ,watched every single play. Half time show was terrible and totally disgusted with the NFL propaganda machine from beginning to end.

Hammer Hammer
Feb '23

Hammer, You are "right on target"

pizzaguy
Feb '23

Rhiana Has no class . Grabbing her crotch is relay a disgrace to anyone. Low class whom has made a lot of money. Not for me but good for her. Sad for our future kids whom may look up to her and not understand trash

Michigan Michigan
Feb '23

I often wonder what these performer's parents think of them when they act like lewd, disgusting trash. But normally the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '23

They probably don’t care. They are making money since the sheep keep supporting this crap.

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '23

Glad to see there are so many kind and non-judgmental people here

Jimt1058
Feb '23

The bar has been so lowered in terms of what is classy or acceptable on a performance level that I was actually surprised at the LACK of anything more than an obviously scripted "crotch grab" (along with the supposed fingers to the face after that- which was again, scripted). Because it had no genuine or off the cuff feeling about it, it was rather ineffective and tame if it was meant to make her controversial.

I was waiting for something more revolting, and was pleasantly surprised I didn't get anything that would rile me up.

Performance wise, rather dull, some of the worst lip sync I have seen, but the woman has a great voice and did market herself to some who probably had not heard her before.

Not my cup O tea, but with the lowered bar I have come to accept, rather tame and inoffensive compared to other things that have been seen at other events/award shows.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Feb '23

It's all Elvis Presley's fault.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '23

"Glad to see there are so many kind and non-judgmental people here"

Well that's the dumbest thing I'll read all day.

Of COURSE you can judge people...exactly as you are doing right now.

There are good people, and bad people- and many levels in between- some things matter to some people- other people accept other things.

Being kind has nothing to do with judging and calling out poor behavior.

Be kind to the people that deserve kindness.

I dare say- be harsh on the people that behave poorly- if everyone did that- we would have a MUCH better world.

Bring back a sense of shame, a loss of honor, disgrace...

I applaud Paris Hilton's grandfather for cutting her and the other family out of his will- and fortune.

Josh I guess you don't read your own posts

Jimt1058
Feb '23

The last halftime act I liked was Springsteen .There won't be rock acts like that anytime soon because the NFL owners are catering to the players with the music they like and also trying to bring in a younger fan base . They've got a 17 game schedule and are looking to increase it to 18 and will give the players pretty much whatever they want until they get it . It's been all about greed and more money since Goodell became commissioner . I just ignore it all , especially the halftime show , turn the game on 15 minutes after the scheduled start and am not surprised when it still hasn't started .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '23

Jimt1058,

This has nothing to do with people being unkind and judgmental.

This is about people being sick and tired of performers who put this kind of trash out there.
Why, as a society, do we have to accept this low class mentality. And if we speak our mind we are not kind and being judgmental? Maybe we should be insulted that these performers
like Rhiana (and the many others) think that this is what we want to see.
Its poor behavior on the part of performers like Josh ahead of me has stated.

pizzaguy
Feb '23

Then why bring somebody's family into this too?

Jimt1058
Feb '23

pizzaguy - Well said. Filth and perversion are being pushed to become more and more mainstream and it's disgusting. Like the people that want us to refer to pedos as MAPs (minor attracted persons) because they say that calling them pedos is derogatory. If you disagree with them you are a mean and hateful bigot. SMH

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '23

I'm sure a lot of people here that are critical of today's music are fans of Elvis, but look what was said about him 70 years ago.

An Associated Press article reported that on Sunday, December 2, 1956, The Rev. Carl Elgena told his Des Moines, Iowa, congregation that “Elvis Presley is morally insane” and “by his actions he’s leading other young people to the same end.” He warned the over 800 members in the pews of the Grand View Park Baptist Church that “the belief of unholy pleasure has sent the morals of our nation down to rock bottom and the crowning addition to this day’s corruption is Elvis Presleyism.” Holding up magazine pictures and articles depicting some of the singer’s alleged actions, the minister declared, “When I was a boy, if a person had done things like this, he would have found himself in jail.”

I'm sure that never stopped you from being a fan tho. Just saying....every generation has artists like this. But before you put something down, remember what your parents said about some of the people you listened to first.

ManAboutTown ManAboutTown
Feb '23

What "people" is that?

That seems a far stretch from an homage to a Michael Jackson crotch grab to politically correct names for pedophiles.

In the school of lower standards, I agree the show was below-the-bar of what I accept as entertainment and I felt that kids should not be watching that crap. But I don't like PDA's either. Not that I am a prude, but public is public and standards are important.

In smaller gatherings, without kids, being a little more ribald is fine by me too. Matter of fact, I am quite racy at times. And that's my point: a time and place for things and billions of people watching, lots of kids, not the time or the place for a crotch check.

Reminds me of a time we were hiring "talent" for a bachelor's party and doing interviews..... A nice woman noted she and her boyfriend were moving to FL to be with her parents. My buddy chirped up: "do they know what you do?" to which she replied: "I don't dance on the dining room table......" Time and place for things.

babbit babbit
Feb '23

Excellent ManAboutTown !!! you hit the nail right on the head. I don't appreciate all the antics that go on with a lot of todays performers, but I have the opportunity to turn it off if it offends me

Why does she grab her crotch? Is that a musical thing? Did Elvis do this? Just curious if this is a new thing or a thing from the past.

Michigan Michigan
Feb '23

I noticed that too about her grabbing her crotch. Disgusting of her on national TV.

On the Grammy's 1-2 weeks ago, the 1st act, a Spanish singer, did the same thing. Again, it shouldn't be allowed on TV.

I thought she was horrible, until the last song. That was a good song. the rest? I see nothing talented in her.

Hackresident Hackresident
Feb '23

"Jimt1058"- you say- "Josh I guess you don't read your own posts"=

Please show me where anything I said confuses you into thinking I am conflicting so I can explain whatever it is you think you are seeing.

Also- you say why bring a person's family into it- more often than not- it's learned from upbringing, or lack thereof. Trash begets trash.

If a child was raised by a family that they were taught at a young age- do something wrong and your parents would be MAD- your family and neighbors think less of you...you learned at a young age- the consequences- and these things would be less common- so YEA.... these people have not learned harsh penalties for their actions.

I can't imagine anyone in my family- sisters, mother, nieces, aunts...getting up in front of the nation grabbing their junk. ABSOLUTELY the family has responsibility- because they wouldn't ever have allowed that for the last 30+ years...however old she is. Yet- apparently now she will raise several children... great example.

Josh ..Really! You are perfect, your family is perfect and your kids are perfect, because you are the perfect parent!!! She’s a Hip Hop entertainer! She makes millions of dollars, she can grab any thing that she wants!!! I thought her performance was amazing! Very entertaining! She did her job!!! If you don’t like it, turn the channel! Simple!! Stop putting her and her family down! Stop saying that she’s a bad mother!!! No one is perfect!!!!!!!!

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Feb '23

Unfortunately, this is where we are in 2023, and its been like this for a long while.
Some entertainers have decided that this is how they perform for their audience;
dirty lyrics, skanky behavior. And it seems it hasn't hurt their careers any, so why should they change what they are doing.

pizzaguy
Feb '23

Thank you, Man About Town. In the 60's it was those terrible Rolling Stones with that prancing Mick Jagger. In the 70's people were disgusted by Queen (one of the all time great bands, IMO) 70 years ago, people were horrified by elvis, and were sure it was the end of society. Before that it was jitterbug and that wild dancing: immoral! And before that-those flappers doing the charleston with high kicks, and showing their knees, much less their ankles. And each generation has loved their music, and delighted in shocking the older generation.

Each new generation of artists push the boundaries, and grumpy old folks bemoan the lack of morals. It's nothing new-and not for nothing, but I don't believe reading anything about the halftime show being promoted as "family friendly."

summerrain1 summerrain1
Feb '23

Summerrain1,

Why are people "grumpy old folks" if they disagree with the action of performers?

Grabbing one's crotch is only acceptable in the entertainment business, have you ever wondered why?

pizzaguy
Feb '23

Next you will be called racist for not liking her performance.

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '23

Bottom line is no matter who the performer was male or female and whatever race grabbing the crotch is pathetic and if that’s the new thing in music sad sad sad. If they want to do that in a private club where people come to see that nonsense, great. Shame on the nfl for allowing that display of disrespect.

Michigan Michigan
Feb '23

Thank you Michigan!

pizzaguy
Feb '23

I saw a concert clip on TV last week, it may have been on the Comcast 238 station at 8:00 pm that shows all the news of the day, each day for each year int he past, A singer, popular (but i can't recall who in the 1980s or 1970s), who went on stage and sanag in the nude--- a male. they whited out his private part in the clip.

Does anyone know what male artist I am talking about above?

and the 'planned' pulling of Janet Jackson's jacket by Justin Timberlake at the Super Bowl in year's past.

Hackresident Hackresident
Feb '23

"She may not understand the 'pay' is on the back end- increased relativity / news / social media followers / new exposure to old music / sales..."

Why would you think she may not understand that?

I didn't like the show, but I'm an oldster, so it's probably generational. I didn't know any of the songs. I didn't watch much of it, spent half-time doing the things we usually do during commercials

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Feb '23

Jim Thome grabbed his crotch about 20 times a game, Philliesman (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '23

Why is anyone bringing up pedophiles in this discussion?? On that Q train? Jeez whiz.
Elvis/madonna/Rihanna..some like it, some don't, as always!

Illo
Feb '23

IIIo - It was brought up as a comparison regarding the attempt to normalize lewd and disgusting behavior. People trying to make it seem like it's "no big deal" for their kids to watch celebrities grab their junk on tv.

As usual, a bunch of people missing the forest through the trees. Enjoy your Disney, Netflix, Olympics, Super Bowl etc. programming. It's called "programming" for a reason.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '23

Haha. Kids today....
This rock-n-roll thing will never last.

Monty Monty
Feb '23

Who are all these people trying to normalize pedophilia?!

Calico 696 makes a good point!

Its being pushed on us that bad behavior, foul language, no respect, and the list goes on and on, is No Big Deal..

As "Havaclue 17" stated:
She makes millions of dollars, she (Rhianna) can grab anything that she wants!

I think that the majority of people would like to see the bar raised.

pizzaguy
Feb '23

"Who are all these people trying to normalize pedophilia?!"

The same people that have been pushing all of the other insanity down the entire world's throat pretending that it's normal. Government officials, lawmakers, psychologists, counselors etc. A little research into information not discussed on tv news goes a long way.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '23

Calico, that is for sure a sick notion, like NAMBLA nonsense - which formed back in the early 80s.
Thinking a "sexy halftime show" is inappropriate is an opinion to have and many parents turn it off when they see some questionable content come on (hard during a football game for sure), but it isn't related to pedophilia.
The conspiracy notion is weird.

Illo
Feb '23

IIIo,
Calico explained what she meant a few comments ago, addressed to you

pizzaguy
Feb '23

I’m SO disillusioned. Rihanna did a song called “Stay” in the HBO series “The Leftovers”. I absolutely loved it! I never heard her other music or knew what she looked like. I just viewed her performance in the half time show.(I don’t watch football) There’s nothing wrong with her being pregnant but it looked like she had to PP really bad ( from the looks of her movements). What a horrible outfit and dance routine. “only one truth” nailed it with the Woody Allen reference. The backup dancers looked just like those “swimmers”. Crotch grabbing and Hip hop go together….unfortunately. I think it looks stupid but I don’t think it would traumatize my children. If they questioned it, we’d discuss it.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Feb '23

pedophiles??? what?? I thought the 1/2 show was gross and useless - but what?
where's the connection please

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '23

"Lewd behavior" does not = pedophilia though, to me that minimizes the crime and true depravity of sexual violence and trauma against children. To compare adult themes and suggestive content to such an act.
You really would have to link everything from Elvis and Burlesque shows to Marilyn Monroe and Madonna to make that kind of correlation, which seems really strange to me.

Illo
Feb '23

Reading comprehension seems to be an issue in this thread. For the last time, the reference was regarding normalization of bad and/or lewd behavior by today's society, which stated this several posts above. I wasn't comparing pedos to crotch grabbers. I was simply giving examples of this normalization of things that are not normal.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '23

I just want to know what for all that is complaining that Rhianna was distasteful, what radio stations and tv shows do you allow your kids to watch? Or monitor what they are viewing on their cell phones? Just asking

htownlifer htownlifer
Feb '23

I do understand the connection you're making Calico, it is just really quite morally conservative- which some people are, for religious reasons etc, not judging that at all.

Here is the point though - normalizing adult sexual expression ie Madonna ie Marilyn Monroe ie Rihanna ie MOST popular culture is not a gateway to abuse involving adults and children. That is a deviance that has occurred for a LONG time and will never be normal or naturalized or tolerated in any conceivable near future. There are literally citizen groups that go after online pedophiles á la To Catch A Predator. These same people are for sure listening to Diamonds On The Sky :)

Illo
Feb '23

Is there a Trader Joe's coming to town soon. They make good food normal again. Wonder if that means they are pedo's?

Actually the entire thing was reported on WATA FOX news as a possible WMD or Wardrobe Malfunction Deduction where Rhiana was just keeping her trousers from falling. She was told before the show that she needed a belt but being pregnant she just said no. That slip up caused a slipping needing a gravity defying grab to keep things where they belong. Otherwise it would have been a very different show.

Babbit Babbit
Feb '23

OMG - well said, Babbit

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '23

You got to be kidding! What she was doing was not due to wardrobe malfunction. She definitely was not pulling up her pants. What BS!!

pizzaguy
Feb '23

Check her out on you tube, she had a belt keeping up her trousers.

pizzaguy
Feb '23

Her trousers couldnt fall down, she was wearing a one piece suit!!

pizzaguy
Feb '23

you must be fun at parties, pizzaman

Illo
Feb '23

Here's a buck, buy a clue......

Babbit Babbit
Feb '23

Calico - can you name a single government official who wants us to refer to pedos as MAPs?

The show was awesome. Very impressive. Not sure it was family friendly but then again the sport itself is not really either.

Friendly mcfacezz Friendly mcfacezz
Feb '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.