Steak House

Looking for a good sreak House reasonably near bye. (I know price will not be reasonable.) Could find nothing in prior threads.

Red Wolf Inn in Belvidere/White township. Can't beat it.

https://www.facebook.com/redwolfe.inn/

While not local, Rails in Towaco will blow your mind.

https://railssteakhouse.com/

Re: Steak House

Arthur’s Morris Plains…won’t break the bank.

Three oaks in Easton

Sammy’s in mendham

I second Three Oaks in Easton. Reservations are needed, get there a little early for a drink at the rooftop bar.

Love Arthur's! I need to go back!

friendly mcface friendly mcface
Oct '22

The best, and also the most expensive: Roots in Morristown. No one else even comes close.

I went to Red Wolf about a year ago; it was OK. For that "level" of steak, Arthur's is better.

Tap House Grill here in town has "Steakhouse Thursdays" now. Haven't tried.

The Inn at Glen Gardener makes a very good steak, but it's not a steakhouse.

Resident Resident
Oct '22

Longhorn's reopened and went there recently. It was very good. Also, close by.

Joyce Polack Joyce Polack
Oct '22

Solar Do Minho ,Belleville NJ…steak on a Spainish tile it was so good!

Tap House locally serves a decent steak, but James on Main is way better.

It's a different way of doing it, but I've loved Churrascaria Paladar every time I've had it.

Arthur's, not too far, not too expensive.

only one truth only one truth
Oct '22

Never cared for Red Wolf, not sure what all the hype is. Way overpriced for the quality of the meat. Three Oaks in Easton is great for sure. Not a "steak house" but hubs and I went to The Inn at Glen Gardner the other day for his birthday. He had the filet and practically licked the plated.

Not too expensive and good steak should never be in the same sentence IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

Public House in Chester opened again. Not sure how it is, but worth a try...

https://publichouseofchester.com/

IrishGirl
Oct '22

Truth! You get what you pay for!!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '22

Public house is now owned by the long valley brew pub group if that means anything to you.

Whoever named it PH Steakhouse- public house steak house - Uggh.

They probably also says they are going to the ATM machine- automated teller machine machine.

..and then they enter their PIN number. :P

Char Steakhouse in Bridgewater/Raritan has been excellent the couple of times I have been there. Not nearby but non-commute times it a quick trip.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '22

Truth! You get what you pay for!!

LOL. Oh c'mon, of course you can get a decent steak at a reasonable price, it's not that uncommon, that's what competition is all about. I'll also add that I've paid top dollar for shoe leather at times in my life, it's all relative.

Oct '22

Went to Sammy’s in Mendham last year for my Birthday, my first time and only time there, was not impressed, unless you like charred steak and cold food and a cold drafty dining area.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Oct '22

Yes, after hearing SO MUCH about Sammy's over the years, when we finally went, we were not impressed.

Oct '22

> "Oh c'mon, of course you can get a decent steak at a reasonable price,"

Not in my experience. In my experiences over many years, I can make a better steak than I can buy out anywhere EXCEPT at a few of the places mentioned, like Roots. But then I'm a really good cook. My standards are probably a little higher.

Sometimes, what helps make a good steak great (buying out) is the finish: at the Inn at Glen Gardener for example, the filet mignon is excellent, and it is only helped by the red wine Demi-glace. I don't do sauces at home... Demi-glace, au poivre... for that type of presentation, I eat out. But I can make better steaks than 90% of the restaurants I frequent.

Oct '22

Yes, and I can make better meatloaf than 92% of the places i frequent!
I appreciate all the input - will try Glen Gardner probably this weekend.

Red Wolf is overrated. Arthur’s for taste one of the best separate from price.

Michigan Michigan
Oct '22

Didn't know that the Public House was owned by LV Brew Pub. Knowing that now, I will stay away. I hate ALL of their restaurants. Food is terrible, service isn't good, and all over priced.

IrishGirl
Oct '22

When did OAK become 3 Oaks?

...and if I am going to Easton, there are better places to eat.

Such as Ocean.

Best steak I've ever had taking travel out of the equation..and yes I've been to most of the other places mentioned here-

https://butcherandsinger.com/

Of course Philly has a LOT of awesome restaurants.

"When did OAK become 3 Oaks?"

https://lehighvalleylive.com/news/2019/06/more-than-one-oak-steakhouse-trademark-holder-sues-easton-restaurant-over-its-name.html

ianimal ianimal
Oct '22

Ooops- yea, well they def were clearly in the wrong.

"Not in my experience. In my experiences over many years, I can make a better steak than I can buy out anywhere EXCEPT at a few of the places mentioned, like Roots. But then I'm a really good cook. My standards are probably a little higher."

I am a good cook as well, and I'm sure my standards are aligned with yours.

When I go out for dinner, for ANY type of food, it's because it's usually for something that I can't make better myself. You'll NEVER catch me eating pasta at a restaurant, or salads, or any other basic dishes that I can easily prepare myself, for a lot less money.

But it's been my experience in general that steak is a hit or miss. As I said, I've occasionally paid top dollar at some highly rated places and wound up with shoe leather. Conversely, I have been pleasantly surprised at some places that I wasn't expecting much at.

Ruth Chris Steakhouse has never let me down, and there are others, such as Arthur's. But I believe even in those places you can wind up with a steak that is inconsistent, it does happen from time to time.

Bottom line for me is...

Everyone's tastes and "standards" are different. What suffices for some, might not cut it for others. Finding a place that is as consistent as possible is the way to go.

Oct '22

The Public House in Chester is a recent purchase by the Long Valley group:
https://patch.com/new-jersey/mendham-chester/historic-publick-house-set-reopen-under-new-owners-chester

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '22

Arthurs in Morristown as many said. But get there early, because I do not think they take reservations. Locally I like Blackstones on rt 46 Independence. Always a great steak.

Carol Carol
Oct '22

I second Churrascaria Paladar. Slightly different but not that much from American steak houses. A great experience and get the sangria.There are some high end "Rodizios" in the big cities and of course in Newark, but this location is top rate. Final note, don't complain about the cost, this is not Wendy's or Mama's...

Service at Churrascaria sucks. Went there a few months back and told hostess we wanted to sit at the bar to have a drink. Servers just stared at us & didn't seem to want to work. Saw a woman at a table trying to flag down a waiter but no one was responding to her. No bartender in site. No management. Walked out after waiting almost 10 minutes.

Try this place … been there a few times and have enjoyed it….
https://charsteakhouse.com/

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Oct '22

Went to The Inn at Glen Gardener again last night. The filet mignon was outstanding.

Actually, everything was outstanding, and we were a group of 5- we brought 3 friends with us who had never dined there before. They agreed the place is fantastic. ALL the dishes were great.

Oct '22

Sounds awesome - will have to try Glen Gardener one of these days!

Shhh... soon we won't be able to get a seat.

My wife and I went there again on Friday night.

Tonight (Oct27) starts Steakhouse Night at Taphouse Grill. No prices listed

Steakhouse Night at Taphouse Grille
Starting on Thursday September 29th, Taphouse turns Steakhouse for the night!

and continuing on the last Thursday of every month, we will transform into a top notch Steakhouse and offer all of the favorite fare with our own style.

Dry aged beef
Steaks for two
Oysters and other apps
Enhanced wine and cocktail list
Tablecloth dining
Great ambience
We will have it all!

Reservations highly recommended

Book online or call us: (908) 651-5995.

1930 NJ-57, Hackettstown, NJ 07840

Lamppost Lamppost
Oct '22

Here is the menu for Steak Night at Taphouse Grill. (Oct 27)

Lamppost Lamppost
Oct '22

Lamppost…how was it, which steak did you get?

Hadenough Hadenough
Oct '22

Hadenough,

We did not get the steak as it was too expensive. It was ala cart, the sides were extra. We ended up getting the pork chop which was delicious and it came with two sides.

I’m sure the steak would have been delicious but we just couldn’t justify the price!

Lamppost Lamppost
Oct '22

Anyone been to the PH Steakhouse yet?

Oct '22

Went to PH this weekend. Not worth it, honestly. First of all, when we pulled in, they had two valets to take our car, when the parking lot is not full, and an easy walk to the front. We sat at a high top in the bar area, which was nice, and the atmosphere was pleasant. There was a man playing piano in the corner, and from what we saw (an experienced) the waitstaff was very disorganized. Our server was going between the dining room and the bar, and it took almost 20 minutes to have our drinks delivered. Our server, who we called "Eeyore," all night, kept lamenting to us that it was his first night and he was tired, stressed, etc.

For apps, we ordered shrimp cocktail, the thick cut bacon, and a wedge salad. The shrimp was good, but three shrimp for the price was not worth it. The bacon was tasty, but definitely not a thick slab like we have had at other steakhouses. More like a think slab cut from Shoprite. Also, they put some sort of herbal topping on it for decoration, which was disappointing. My salad was a quarter of a wedge, and unimpressive for $16. Also, we waited about 10 minutes after our apps came to get silverware, which my husband took from another table. A floor manager who saw him apologized, saying that they didn't have enough rolled silverware for the tables.

Our steaks were delicious, although very pricy. You also had to order a sauce topping for $2.50 extra, and they didn't have any house sauce for free. Sides were decent- we ordered mac and cheese (very greasy at the bottom), creamed spinach, and steak fries, which looked and tasted like they had been soaked in fried oil.. Gross. We asked for bread, which came halfway through the meal, and it was warm, but definitely not fresh.

Dessert was good, chocolate mousse special was delicious, and the chocolate layer cake was an enormous slice for $16, but it was way too much icing, and the cake was dry.

All in all, the experience was ok, but the kicker?? For three of us, the food, 2 glasses of wine, and two cocktails came out to $306!!!! I have paid less at Char, Wolfgangs, and Roots for a much better experience.

The Restaurant village people are trying hard, but the prices for the quality are just ok.

kelleo22 kelleo22
Oct '22

Good to know - thanks for the review

^^ two comments up same problem with the long valley group omg burger and brew in this case. It was the 3rd worst hamburger I’ve had in my life. And I went with two friends who said the same very thing very expensive and poor poor quality. The fries were soggy sad and tasted like the red brand you buy a shoprite in the frozen section. The burgers were terrible. The building is absolutely stunning but not worth the price and taste. They need a chef.

Drew-

Yes! And according to "Eeyore," the rooms will be open for occupancy next month, about $250-$275. I think this is a little steep for the area and purpose, but hey, what do I know! I'm not a restaurant entrepreneur! Also, my husband and I noticed that there was a VERY strong fish odor coming from the lobster tails, and swordfish steak. When the food runner passed our table, it was nauseating. The salmon had no odor, which means it was fresh, not frozen I'm assuming.

Not a fan of any of the Restaurant Village restaurants...I used to work for the Brew Pub in the late 90s when it was the best! They even brewed their own beer back then.

kelleo22 kelleo22
Oct '22

Sorry to hear that. Tried to warn you-

"Public house is now owned by the long valley brew pub group if that means anything to you."

@kelleo22: haven't been to Brew Pub in about a couple of years. They no longer brew any beers??

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '22

“Restaurant Village Group” is trying to bank on diners not wanting to travel too far and make them settle for mediocrity (at best)
—Brew Pub- food terrible.
—OMG— fair at best, grossly overpriced.
—PH— seems destined to failure- look at the menu —Predict a one trick pony.
Diners will give it one curiosity shot and be done.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '22

Is Chesapeake Tavern part of that group? That place is GOOD. Been going for years, always good.

Actually I think Chesapeake is owned by the same people that own Redwoods? But I thought Chesapeake shared LVBP's liquor license somehow?

Oct '22

They haven't updated the website, but-

https://www.restaurantvillagehospitalitygroup.com/

If you want to see their 'regional manager'- you can't make this shiz up-

https://www.linkedin.com/in/christopher-brescia-4a647593

He was also "Managing Partner of Carrabba's Italian Grill Secaucus NJ"

Seems about right, eh?

Prior to that he worked at an old folks home and IHOP.

Speaks more to the owners of 'RVHG' than this kid though- just like the boat house- garbage ownership begets garbage management and everything after that. Food, service, quality- all comes back to the owner at the end of the day- if THEY don't care enough to pay attention or change things...well..

On his profile-

Long Valley Pub & Brewery
OMG Burger & Brew
Bea McNallys
Lakeside Tavern
White Birch
Old Wick General Store

I had a great dinner with my wife at White Birch when they first opened (ignoring the horrible lighting) but went back again with extended family- it was bad, we gave them another chance- went back again- BAD- and never went back after that.

Someone should tell him (and owners) that Oldwick is one word.

...and to fix their other (many) mistakes.

And to Jefferson- I too have had a couple decent meals at Chesapeake, better than those here mentioned and based on their website- they are NOT ran by the same group- although they may pay rent.

https://www.chesapeaketavernnj.com/about

Appears to be a sister joint to this place- but I've never tried it given the drive-

https://www.stmoritzgrill.com/

That being said- if I want seafood I would advise Vinnie's clam shack in Raritan instead. We have been there probably 10-12 times and always GRREAT!!

Ah yes! St. Mortiz! I had forgotten...

Oct '22

... the filet mignon at Seasons 52 is quite good IMHO. Great cut and rather healthy (for red meat)...

The Oldwick General Store is not showing on the Restaurant Village Hospitality Group website. However, the Oldwick General Store website says "Be sure to stop by our sister restaurant White Birch Restaurant" so I guess it is also owned by RVHG.
Well, let's say, the current Oldwick General Store is not what it was.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '22

Oldwick GS is now part of RV. The son in law, who was the chef at White Birch, moved there. Lakeside Tavern went belly up before the summer. Chesapeake building is owned by RV, but not the restaurant thank GOD! The food there is quite good. OnTheEdge, the Brew Pub stopped brewing their own beer a few years ago. Such a shame. They serve beer from other local breweries which is ridiculous, rather than hire a brewmaster. RV includes:

Brew Pub
Red Lantern
La Rienda
Chesapeake Building only
OMG, aka FML
Bea McNallys
White Birch
Oldwick GS

kelleo22 kelleo22
Nov '22

Don’t know why all the hate for the red Wolfe Inn. just got back from there earlier tonight. My second visit there in the last two months. All I can say is outstanding. We each had steaks, two drinks each, dinner come with potatoes and salad. 100.00. Steaks were awesome very consistent from the last time we went. just can’t spend 200 bucks at 3 Oaks or others. I know the ambience is 10 times nicer though. We go to rooftop bar quite often.

Hadenough Hadenough
Nov '22

Hade. I agree. Great place.

Indie Indie
Nov '22

Went to PH Steakhouse last night.

Steak was good, food was good. Cocktail tasted like a short pour to me. They did have a wide selection of steaks, which is more than most normal restaurants.

It is rather expensive, since everything is a la carte. $50 for 12oz filet mignon is fine, BUT- if you have to pay extra for a sauce, and any sides, it adds up quite quickly. For example, the filet at The Inn at Glen Gardner is fantastic, comes WITH sides, for $38. And they make AWESOME cocktails. We've been going there for awhile now, and it NEVER disappoints.

My review: go to Glen Gardner, food is as good (better in most cases), and cheaper. I realize PH is in Chester, and maybe that's supposed to be justification for the prices, but still... we will go again in the future to see how they have matured.

Nov '22

I never order a steak out, but have heard very good things about CJ's in Wharton.

https://cjsteakhouse.com/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '22

I saw that Top Cut Steak House, near Allentown, is being recommended a lot elsewhere. First time I heard of it.

https://www.topcutsteak.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '22

Update…

Went back to PH tonight. Still crappy service. No one came to the table for our drink order until 17 minutes passed. Changes have been made to some food items. Shrimp cocktail came, and the shrimp were not cooked through, they were clear in the center. Sent back. Steak came with sauce this time for free, but it was, no joke, maybe a tbsp in a ramekin. I ordered chicken and gravy, which was maybe 1/8 cup gravy, not enough to enjoy with the meat. They forgot my roasted brussel sprouts, and when they brought them they were steamed and gross. Husband ordered onion rings which were awesome, except I bit into one, and there was a long, dark hair in it. Management was very apologetic but nothing came of it. We will not be going back anytime soon.

Kelleo22 Kelleo22
Dec '22

Long dark hair in it? He is cheating on you.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '22

Sound like something someone on the government payroll would say.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '22

"Not too expensive and good steak should never be in the same sentence IMO."

+1, and that goes for not just steak, but all prepared food and well as many other things in life. You get what you pay for (usually).

With PHSH, we did NOT get what we paid for. After that review by Kelleo, we won't be trying it again anytime soon,.

Dec '22

Not a steak house restaurant but look at their menu they have a few decent steak options …. https://www.markettavernflanders.com/

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Dec '22

Costco has fantastic steaks for a great price, unless you are a snob. Use the Alton Brown method to cook them and they are fantastic. If you married a good one they would already know this and wouldn't allow you to overpay for something subpar.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '22

The Market Tavern is def turning into a steak house. Steve just invested in another set of rerigs for aging in the back. They look awesome. His steak quality is as good as anyone anywhere around with his time in the business. Definitely worth the try and also awesome atmosphere

Michigan Michigan
Dec '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.