Hummingbirds 2022

It's getting to be that time of year; any sightings yet?

Not yet but I am seeing reports from people in Morris and Sussex counties that theirs have returned. Last year mine returned on May 1.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '22

Re: Hummingbirds 2022

If you’re on Facebook, look for this group.—->
My childhood friend runs it. And members are from all over the country. Lots of good information from experts on what to do/not to do.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '22

Thanks, 3wdbwnj, I will!
Making a small batch right now... just in case!
If they're here, they'll need a good source, not many nectar plants out yet.

The Hummers are back! Been at my feeder for three days now so get that food out!

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Apr '22

Yes! Had the feeders out for them when they showed up earlier this week. :)

Saw our 1st one a couple of days ago.
Also saw a Baltimore Oriole at one of my feeders today, very exciting!!

Here too - saw first hummer yesterday - and today saw my first ever Baltimore Oriole -

4catmom 4catmom
May '22

Oh wow. i would love an Oriole! I know there are feeders specifically for them too so maybe you could attract more.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '22

Just curious if anyone else has noticed a sharp decline in the numbers this year. I have had our feeder out for a month(changing the food weekly) and only seen one male in early may. Also put out lots of flowers they love.
jay waldstein

jay waldstein jay waldstein
May '22

Lots of people are reporting lower numbers in the last couple weeks. The consensus was that they are nesting so you might see fewer numbers during the day. They still feed in the am (at sunrise or just before) and in the evenings.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '22

The increase in different, invasive Asian bugs have started cut-off/change the food/nectar source (among other factors) to the hummingbird's population.

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
May '22

Would love to learn more about that aol. Do you have a source?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '22

I still get the morning and evening feedings but they are nesting now. Every time I go to clean and refill the feeders, one of them comes buzzing by, no matter what time of day.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '22

I am also reading that if Japanese honeysuckle is in bloom anywhere near your house, they will feed from that instead of manmade nectar feeders. They know where the good stuff is!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

Right, those plants/flowers/nectar (even from manmade feeders) are integral to hummingbirds and maintaining its population.

But what happens (to hummingbird's population) when those sources are diminished by the 'new' different, invasive Asian insects of late, or years ago?
--excerpts of evidence from some sources, as per your request:

1) "The Japanese beetle is the "worst landscape pest in America" because it damages plants in both the adult and larval stages. As an adult beetle in mid-summer, the beetles are known to devour the foliage, flowers, and fruit from more than 300 species of plants."

2) "These obnoxious little pests are brown marmorated stink bugs. Native to Eastern Asia, they were first discovered in Allentown, Pennsylvania. They eat almost anything [at least 100 types of crops] including apples, pears, soybeans, green beans, raspberries and cherries. And they’re destructive: In 2010, 18 percent of the mid-Atlantic apple crop was destroyed by the bugs. Brown marmorated stink bugs have few natural predators."

3) "A relative newcomer, the spotted lanternfly arrived in the U.S. from northern China in 2014. It’s known for its large, black-spotted gray wings and its destructive behavior. Spotted lanternflies eat sap from more than 70 different plant species, including important crops like grapevines, maple trees, and black walnut trees."

4) "Asian giant hornets can be attracted to hummingbird feeders, state agriculture officials say. [Though most of the time bees, wasps, and these hornets create more of a nuisance to these hummingbirds, the actual threat is causing hummingbirds seek nectar or take residence elsewhere.]" (...decreasing chances to survive)

5) "Pesticides may now be dropping hummingbird populations too [According to the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, these insects cost the state $324 million a year if it isn’t controlled.]"

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/japanese-beetle#:~:text=The%20Japanese%20beetle%20is%20the%20%22worst%20landscape%20pest,fruit%20from%20more%20than%20300%20species%20of%20plants.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/646169/most-destructive-invasive-insects

https://www.q13fox.com/news/asian-giant-hornets-can-be-attracted-to-hummingbird-feeders-state-agriculture-officials-say

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07/09/news/insecticide-found-same-bc-hummingbirds-are-decline

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Jun '22

Thanks aol.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Hummingbirds 2022
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.