Lightning Struck My Backyard

During Thursday night’s storm, lightning struck in our backyard next to one of our trees. Left a hole roughly 18” wide and about 6” deep. Is there some bureau or service I should report this to? I mean in the sense of tracking these kinds of events?

Monty Monty
Apr '22

Not that I know of but posting a picture would be cool

Tug Boat
Apr '22

No.....

Bug3
Apr '22

Where are you located? The thunder I heard that night nearly knocked me off my couch!

emerald
Apr '22

That lightning sent my cat into a panic...

My dogs were in the lower level like a shot....

Re: Lightning Struck My Backyard

Last year on Ketcham in my backyard. Blew the top out of a big tulip and jumped into this one. Threw debris over 50 yards.

Fishmaker1 Fishmaker1
Apr '22

wow! call the paper they would love to take a picture of it.
Maybe Daily Record?

The photos are not very exciting, really. Just a dirt hole in the yard.

It did fry the breaker box in my (detached) garage, and tripped a 2 or 3 breakers in my house. It also knocked our router offline, and apparently killed the thermostat on our second floor. We’re hoping and praying it’s only the thermostat itself, and not the central a/c unit….

Monty Monty
Apr '22

Wow, I'm surprised it did that much damage, if it just earthed out in the dirt of the yard...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '22

can you mark the hole to see if it ever strikes twice??

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Apr '22

Wow....

Is your water line in that area?

Make sure you contact your insurance company & test everything you think may have been affected. My well was struck several years ago. Had to put in a new well pump & blew out a tv on that end of the house.

tmb6123 tmb6123
Apr '22

@tmb6123:
Yes, we’re calling our insurance company today. We went around yesterday and checked every switch, outlet, and appliance in the entire house. Except the aforementioned central a/c, as I don’t know how to turn it on without the use of the dead thermostat I mentioned previously.

@whip: No utility lines of any kind in that area as far as we know. They just came around and marked the water line in front of our house not more than a month ago.

Monty Monty
Apr '22

Lightning strikes to the earth can affect a well pump from well over a mile away.

Did you know that while lightning starts in the sky, the flash you see actually comes from the ground.

I had one cut a 70 foot tree down to about 30 feet, only ended up with three garbage bags full of branches, the rest was turned in the toothpicks and hurled over 100 yards. The tree had basically exploded.

Had another strike a tree next to the house, it are over and drilled a pinhole through my TV antenna motor located above the roof. Just a pinhole.

Babit Babit
Apr '22

Many years ago, I was standing in a wide doorway, watching the rain outside. My right arm was facing outside. Suddenly I felt a shock to the left side of my body, saw a fire ball over the refrigerator, and heard a thump upstairs above it. My father who had been watching the rain was thrown to the floor. There was a huge tree near the house and the lightening may have struck it and bounced off it into the house.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.