Questions for drone pilots

I recently purchased a lightweight drone, essentially for hobby and recreational use, but after really thinking about it, I wondered where to actually practice flying it.

I also know that if you want to use one for professional or business services, or if it's over a certain weight, you need to get a pilot's license. That seems to involve more extra money and time that I'm not sure I wish to invest. What I'd like to do with it would also be borderline hobby/professional, so there's that issue to deal with also. How to figure whether I'd have to get a license or not.

This begs the issue of whether or not to just return it and concentrate on my other endeavors (of which I have many). Anybody out there with advice on any of the issues, especially with places nearby to practice flying?

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '22

I’ve seen a number of people practicing at the Field of Dreams in Great Meadows.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '22

Start here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

Peter
Mar '22

Flying a drone is pretty much illegal in this state just like everything else riding ATV dirt bike shooting a gun going hunting without being harassed ect...

Depends how small it is

Bug3
Mar '22

So there's many great places around here to fly. I've had several drones around here.

I assume you got a real drone, DJI or similar, not a $100 toy.

First, state and national parks are off limits, but you can apply for permits. Don't expect it to be approved. You'd also need insurance (Which can be as little as $10 an hour)

Second, as Peter said, read up on the FAA's rules, but get AirMap for your phone, or the crappy B4UFly from the FAA.

It's been a bit since I've been to some, so you may want to check their rules in case they've been updated, but here's a few:

Alumni field is a great place, just avoid the Doctor's park side when baseball or soccer is going on.
Horseshoe lake in Roxbury can be nice if a bit crowded.
The parks over by Xfinity in Port Murray are fair play last I've seen too.
Califon Rd Sports Fields
Turkey Brook I believe is far game too, but doesn't look that exciting.

As far as commercial usage, The FAA doesn't allow you to even donate your work for a business - absolutely no commercial endeavors without a license. It's Part 107 which isn't a pilots license but not far from it. You can do any number of methods to pass that from study yourself and take a ~$100 test, to university level courses with places like Embry Riddle and Clemson. Warren CC has classes last I heard.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '22

Just find an unoccupied field out on a trail somewhere and have at it.

MakoMiller1984 MakoMiller1984
Mar '22

MakoMiller1984, that's absolutely the wrong answer.

Illegal drone use can lead to huge fines or worse, and can lead to limits placed on all of us from stricter rules, to technology based limitation that then make it impossible for anyone to ever enjoy it again.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '22

Aloha1beta
It depends on the size of the drone
The smaller ones are not regulated at all while the larger ones practically require a license

It all depends how big the drone is

Bug3
Apr '22

@alpha1beta I used to fly before the FAA part 107 was introduced and still tried to follow the regs. your guidance on this topic is absolutely on point. anyone flying any drone should pay attention otherwise you can get into real hot doo doo!

an example? I didn't realize that my own backyard was a restricted area as there is an inactive small airport nearby. by using the apps you mentioned I was able to save myself from getting a serious ticket so thank you for sharing your guidance.

I have a hard time on sites like this or facebook where people with literally NO KNOWLEDGE share their misinformation with such confidence. Best to SAY NOTHING if you are not 100% sure of what you are repeating. Sometimes lives can be lost or lots of $$$ can be the result of following bad advice.

friendly mcface friendly mcface
Apr '22

We have a policy of not flying drones https://www.extremefliers.com/drones-under-300/ in airspace where communication with ATC is essential. I would recommend holding a pattern party in a non-towered airport. This will provide you the opportunity to practice whatever you're searching for. That, I believe, will be ideal for you.

Jaffrey Jaffrey
Apr '22

The 250 gram maximum only exempts drones from registration (Unless your flying under section 107 rules, such as for commercial purposes) not rules. Those still have to fly line of sight, under 400 feet, away from airports, etc. FAA's rules can be a bit confusing, some commercial sites like this ( https://pilotinstitute.com/sub-250-part-107/) provide easier to read summaries, but stick to sites that offer classes/certs, as there are some small time blogs with oncorrect info, or info for Canada which is similar but not identical. I've run into this several times. But if you're going to go up against the rules, you might want to check the FAA's source docs.

Expect those rules to change as there are now drones (Mavic Mini series) in that class with cameras and full power, not "toys for kids". Most rules banning drones, such as in state and national parks, apply to all drones regardless of weight.

Feel free to write the FAA too, they always have periods for public comment before rules are proposed and I'm sure would welcome feedback anytime.

@friendly mcface you can likely fly there, but just read about the restrictions. You can even fly near busy airports with proper authorization.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '22

What kind of rules or regulations are there for someone flying a drone in a neighborhood. We have a neighbor who I think wants to fly competitively and it’s very loud and annoying. He puts on googles and does all kinds of stunts over other peoples property and his drone is loud and fast. Not a very approachable guy either. What are our options?

GreatMeadows GreatMeadows
Apr '22

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped give me some guidance on this. Sadly, I don't think it will be practical for me, not just from the perspective of learning, but also in practice and licensing, which I'd definitely need for the things I was thinking of doing. Not a huge loss however, since I already have more than enough on my plate.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '22

@GreatMeadows so that's tricky. Legally, you don't own at least most of the airspace above your property, but courts have found you own at least the first 83 feet up. Drones are limited to 400 feet ceiling, while planes should never dip below 1000.

So in the absence of hard rules, here's my recommendations:

I would strongly recommend making contact with the operator or their parents, write a letter, call or talk in-person first. No need to waste the local police's time if it can be resolved easily. Plus, they're going to be as confused as you are and really will need to lean on the FAA for any enforcement. Send a note with a link to the FAA's drone rules.

Also, if it's really a problem, document it - record it and note the time, date and location.

If it's noisy to the level that your local jurisdiction would find an issue with it, or invasion of privacy (extremely unlikely, these are very wide angle lens, not spy cameras with telephoto lenses) that's the local cops.

FAA does investigate illegal drone use but unless this operator is crashing into powerlines or otherwise flying recklessly, I wouldn't bet it would be a high priority.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/contact_us/report_uas_sighting/

For anyone who might think about trying to take down someone's drone....don't even think it, people have shoot drones down and been arrested and charged for it.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '22

A trained hawk could do the trick ;)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Questions for drone pilots
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.