Jan 29th - Snow Storm

Everyone let’s keep an eye on the storm coming our way in Saturday… models are showing from 2 inches to 12 inches …

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jan '22

That narrows it down! LOL

Well it is few days away and the 2 models are that far apart. Thursday they should a pretty good idea what is going to happen.

Jan '22

Yeah i was hearing any where from 2 to 24 inches with the possibility of nothing but sunshine and 50 degrees! Im going to shoprite tomorrow get my eggs milk and bread...just incase but ill make sure i wear my mask in the store so i dont get the covid..be safe

Big Bob Big Bob
Jan '22

Lol big Bob

Weather underground app says 1” Friday and 3” Saturday. I guess we’ll know when it’s done falling

Consigliere
Jan '22

I like Dr. Edge weather and what he has to say….see below

https://theedgeweather.blogspot.com/

The European model shifted east but still has heavy snowfall amounts in a large part of our area. We will have to continue to monitor this situation closely. If the model continues heading east we could even end up with a sunny day. This is a very volatile situation and small changes can and will make a big difference.

Not In NJ Anymore Not In NJ Anymore
Jan '22

Honestly sort of hoping this one is a miss (believe it or not) my plow truck currently will not start...don't feel like plowing with the backhoe or the quad

Darrin Darrin
Jan '22

1-3 inches in our area

Jan '22

For me, it's a timing thing.... I'm flying back from AZ on friday, landing Newark 6:30pm... it seems it might be snowing a BIT but then, but looks like the bulk comes after midnight...

United has already warned me my particular flight could be delayed or cancelled.... but I really need to get back for the weekend, and I'm hoping the timing of this thing allows that.

Don't airliners fly above the weather anyway? If the big stuff isn't arriving until after midnight, I would think the approach to Newark would still be fine by 6pm...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '22

Sounds like it's shifted and we're more in the 8-10" zone with gusty winds. I was hoping for the miss TBH. Good luck JR with the trip home.

bonv25 bonv25
Jan '22

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO3 PM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of northern New Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 3 PM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Accumulating snow is expected to begin Friday, becoming heavier Friday night through Saturday morning. Snow will diminish early Saturday afternoon.

Jan '22

Dr. Edge says the storm is shifting northwest and we're now in the 6-10" range...

https://theedgeweather.blogspot.com/

ianimal ianimal
Jan '22

Airlines depend on all of the legs of a plane's flights to go through smoothly. Just one airport can affect lots of other places. Today's flights are a house of cards. Even if a plane avoids the weather in the air, no one wants a slippery run way. Newark has a bad reputation for closing at the drop of a hat. I wouldn't bet on any flight to the northeast area today or tomorrow.

The way this is going now, even if slow snow falls, it's going to be a long two days. That's not likely to be an emergency, but it's going to be slow slow going.

Several forecasts are keeping the timing the same- very late tonight/early sat. So my 6:30pm landing shouldn't be affected ((fingers crossed). It's non-stop from Phoenix, so still hoping I get in under the wire...

Jan '22

Sheesh, thanks for the link Ian but I hope the good Dr is wrong on this one. 40 mph gusts and 10” of snow separately are bad enough, but together? No thanks!

Consigliere
Jan '22

Just posted on FB:

Weather NJ

An updated snow map and forecast discussion will post publicly at 5pm today. We're going to increase expected amounts and move the bigger snow further W and NW into NJ. This means ECNJ/SENJ looking at even bigger snow.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jan '22

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THISEVENING TO 3 PM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of northern New Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 3 PM EST Saturday.

Jan '22

Anyone know the timing on the wind? Will the 35mph be tonight or tomorrow? I went to 3 or 4 sites and couldn’t find out.

Consigliere
Jan '22

Seem to be getting some strong gusts now here in Liberty

Jan '22

Hackettstown has 3.0 inches and winds are gusting to 20 mph.

KMC77
Jan '22

Via "Weatherworks" WEATHER ALERT

"Moderate Snow Continues This Morning... So far this morning, the heaviest snow has been setting up from the NJ shore into NYC, but we're still seeing steady snow here, and this will continue this morning with mostly moderate snow through late morning. There will still be a gradient in the heavier snowfall, with much of the heavy snow not making it past northeastern NJ, but even for us rates around 0.5"/hr at times this morning. This will still be enough to get us a couple more inches with totals generally reaching the 4-7" range. Once we get to 11 AM, the heaviest snow will be exiting east, with snow turning lighter and ending by late afternoon. Strong gusts will persist today and tonight leading to continued blowing / drifting snow (even after actual snowfall ends)."

Grascal
Jan '22

3.1 inches and 21mph gusts in mt lake

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '22

JR, your flight make it in ok?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '22

Yeah! Things played out just as I predicted (a rarity in life LOL). No delays, landed on time. Pulled in the driveway just as the "big wave" began last night.

Just waiting for it to finish before going out with the snowblower.

Jan '22

JR don't know you BUT i was thinking of you last night around ten. Glad you were able to get home safely.

Bernie Bernie
Jan '22

Thanks Bernie. Yeah just another storm for us... I wonder if Newark-Liberty did have to delay/cancel any flights? It never really got bad out here, but I know it was worse further east.

Jan '22

So sick of the snow already.
We got 5 inches in Washington

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Jan 29th - Snow Storm
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.