Looking for Work

I just wanted to start this tread as a concerned employer.
I see help wanted ads all over the community looking for help, our company included. We have posted ads on here, Indeed, etc. over the past year and we have gotten no responses. I have heard from other companies that have the same results. Even when we do get a response and schedule the interview, the person becomes a "no-show". Is there something that potential employees are looking for? How do we have so many available positions in multiple settings/businesses but cannot get people to work?
This is not meant to be a political post, so please do not attack me as if it were one. I am just looking for people to provide their opinions as to where all the potential employees are and what they are looking for in job.

curiousc curiousc
Jan '22

What is the job you are hiring for?

Bug3
Jan '22

I do not know how people are making a living without working. I am always hearing about job openings and see the help wanted signs, so how can people afford to live? Are they all starting internet businesses? Just trying to figure it out.

Sport
Jan '22

Lol thats easy how about a real package for employees..

Good healthcare plan
Dental
Vacation time
Sicktime
Holidays
Personal time
And a real starting salary to be able to live in nj..

Plus normal working hrs.no rotating shifts offer some overtime .Most employers have you leave early the following work day so they dont have to pay you your earned overtime..

Treat employees good they will appreciate working for you..

#1) Covid has swayed away on-site workers (compared to jobs that can be done working Remotely).

#2) Unemployment insurance has loosened reasons and longer for those not employed (due to Covid, Covid environment, and other Covid related factors). Which gave some those extra funds to try start a business. (some via SBA loans, since previous and still current covid small business environment).

#3) Heard of "The Great Resignation"? (Due to Covid) many have left the workforce to retire, take care of a family member, and/or passed away (from Covid)

#4) People (workers) leaving NJ in flocks to other states. (Due to Inflation, Cost of Living, NJ High taxes in housing, Crime, etc.... {srry, couldn't resist} since start of Covid - though seriously unfortunately) :<(

1+2+3+4=c10vid

aol123@aol.com aol123@aol.com
Jan '22

"Lol thats easy how about a real package for employees..

Good healthcare plan
Dental
Vacation time
Sicktime
Holidays
Personal time
And a real starting salary to be able to live in nj..."

^^^ This

I recently changed jobs after a period of actively interviewing and looking. It's an "employees market" right now, I could be a lot pickier than I otherwise could be.

I'd take interviews, ask some questions, and if there was something that didn't meet my liking, that was the end.

No 401k match? Thank you for your time, please withdraw me from consideration

No work from home policy? Thank you for your time, please withdraw me from consideration

Unwillingness for HR to talk about *real* job expectations? Thank you for your time, please withdraw me from consideration

Unwilling to talk about or no annual bonus policy? Thank you for your time, please withdraw me from consideration

kingcoriander kingcoriander
Jan '22

I'd say to both Bear and kindcoriander-

All that sounds fine and dandy when you are on the receiving end.

Much like 'free college' and other hand outs- the cost has to come from somewhere.

So- go start your own business. I don't care what it is- but you will very quickly realize you hire someone to complete a task.

That task has to be balanced again the return on that task VS cost.

Reality- there is only so much value for many lower skill tasks.

The truth is- many jobs don't 'earn' enough worth to an employer for them to pay a good wage + healthcare + dental + vacation + sick time + holidays + personal time.

(heck, when do you expect to even show up to work with all that paid time off?)

And where do you think the money comes to pay you when you aren't actually AT work- completely a task to EARN a pay?

401K match on top of all that paid not to be at work time? You better have a great education- and in a high skilled position.

Work from home? That's a recent - and flawed - societal constraint. It's called work for a reason- not sit in my pajamas, play with my kids and dog, run back and forth to the kitchen.

Annual bonus? Again- better have a high skill and actually EARN IT type category.

I see SOOO much of this thought process being thrown around in recent years.

GO start a business- grown it to where you need to bring someone on board to complete a task. You will find yourself at a point where YOU need to decide how much that TASK is worth to you.

Because that is what a job is- completing a task. That's it. All the other stuff is just the entangled mess that comes along with it, getting worse all the time.

Then deal with trying to bring on a new hire- most who have ZERO comprehension of total compensation cost. Most even think xx an hour actually costs the employer that same xx and not the substantially more it is in reality- and that is BEFORE all the hopes and dreams you 'demand'.

And no- we aren't talking heart surgery. Whatever task you can do at home on your couch in your slippers really isn't that hard- isn't that important. Stocking a shelf, answering a phone, clicking a mouse, carrying some food- only has soo much worth.

Want more? Find a way to increase your value and worth to an employer- that is up to you- they don't owe you anything other than what they feel they want to pay to complete a task. It has a value to them, and you get to choose if doing that task, your time to do so- is worth it to YOU. If not- someone else may come along and say OK- sure, I'll do that for that pay.

We are in a weird time in our country and the world; too many delusional pampered soft people with no basis in reality or understanding. No clue what actual work is- no clue what it took to survive 60-80-100 years ago- much less before that.

Vacation? Hahahaha. How about chop the wood to build the fire to provide heat. Go to the river to get water. Grow your garden and animals to eat.

Buncha pansies buying into what mindless TV and internet crap has led them to believe is normal.

You want a good life and good pay- EARN IT- and if you are WORTH IT- you wouldn't be here bitching about it- you would already have enough life experience to know what's what- and with your skill & knowledge would have the power, holding the cards to make it happen.

In fact you would be aware enough to be the one looking at these types of comments and posts- and shake your head.

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

We are in a period of weak people.

Josh, kingcoriander clearly got a job that met those criteria, they were using the example of "employee's market" to explain it was easier to secure a job with those benefits at this time. I would call this trend working smarter, not harder. Your reactionary comments about firewood are pretty dated, and you seem to have no concept of what kind of business people can operate out of home offices. The whole point of this current dialogue is that no one is coming along to do certain jobs for less wage than they feel they are worth, and sure the cause is varied and the effects may be unpredictable but it likely seemed similar during other periods of labor organizing and progression.

My simple advice to companies looking to hire would be post the salary range to make sure your interviewing time is best spent.

kepa
Jan '22

Just a single point, but even lower wage jobs should offer some reasonable paid vacation. Any employer who can't understand that is just not a good person. If it's not affordable, improve your business model or work more hours yourself.

Well, ok, another point. Retail workers deserve a regular schedule. Telling someone next weeks hours a few days ahead of time is ridiculous.

maja2 maja2
Jan '22

I understand everyone's opinions and I appreciate the feedback. However, as stated in my original post... VERY few people are even inquiring and when they do, and we set up an interview they do not show up. If the benefits are what people are looking for then they should reach out and inquire about them. Our company offers certain benefits such as paid time off, sick time, vacation time, etc. but it seems like the lack of follow through to get to the interview and have these benefits explained to the potential employee is scary.

curiousc curiousc
Jan '22

Early on in the pandemic, when a lot of people were going on unemployment, all they had to do to continue to collect was to have proof of an interview and then they could answer yes to the question that asked if they were actively looking. Then not show up. Not sure if that is still the case now, but agree with other posts of providing an hourly/salary range and what benefits come with the position.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '22

curiousc - Are you comfortable sharing the actual job post (maybe redact specifics if needed) so we can review and provide suggestions?

If not, provide general information about the type of work, location, etc.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jan '22

We are a small warehouse located in Johnsonburg, NJ.
Looking for someone who can do light manufacturing work.
Monday-Friday 7:00 A.M. -3:30 P.M.
Part time will be considered.
Paid Holidays, Paid Vacation and Paid Sick Time offered after a 3-month probationary period.
Starting Hourly Rate dependent on experience.
Will train.

Ideal Employee Qualities Are:
* Prompt & Regular Attendance Required
* Excellent Attention to Detail a Must
* Must be able to keep a clean & organized work environment
* Needs to be able to work as a team and individually
* Must be able to lift, bend, twist and carry up to 50 Lbs.
* Must be able to stand on concrete floors for up to 8 hours
* Follow all safety protocol and warehouse procedures
* Responsible for keeping thorough and accurate records of production data by
completing all daily paperwork
* Must be willing to work overtime as required
* Must be able to climb stairs

Please reach out to set up an interview today!

curiousc curiousc
Jan '22

quote from above
Good healthcare plan
Dental
Vacation time
Sicktime
Holidays
Personal time
And a real starting salary to be able to live in nj..

but that is no different from what we wanted 10-20-30-40 etc years ago.
I think what curious is seeing is a change in the way people carry out the job getting process. It's almost as if the applicants don't really want a job even though they are applying.
but why?

I think it's more that it's an employee market now and people and pick and choose where they want to go more then ever. What's the difference between a potential employee not showing up to an interview compared to the countless times employers just ghost applicants down the application process.

There seems to be some confusion on how modern work is done from our older generation, here and the workplace, in regards to things like WFH. There have been countless studies show how this has become a huge improvement to productivity. I'll just leave this here. Whats the difference I am getting more work done from home AND get to spend more time with my family/maintain a place to live. Who cares if Joe is in PJs if he boosted sales by 20%.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Jan '22

Not sure if the word "confusion" describes how modern work is done. More like "automation" (AI & Robotics) in manufacturing up to even Coffee & Pizza (making and delivering/serving it without staff), contributes to having a hard time to find "older generation" workers.

I also think our 'way of life' is changing so fast (via all the new technologies in commerce, EV, going green, and/or the economy overall), that's leaving the workforce in a 'big lag' before catching up and regrouping things. (Hopefully until this covid 'cloud' clears way).

Be up front about compensation. If you’re not willing to include the real salary range in your job posting, it’s going to be ignored. “Dependent upon experience” is a BS line. How about listing a starting range?

Your job posting is now a resume for the potential employee to review and consider. Be clear and up front about all of the benefits, salary and days given and you might get responses.

Antiwork Antiwork
Jan '22

Curious, maybe consider adding the base salary that less experienced workers would start at (ie $19/hr and up?) And brief description of work - machine shop, assembly, etc.

kepa
Jan '22

What does this job pay? Sounds like it should be at least $20 per hour.

Sacks cousin
Jan '22

"Must be able to lift, bend, twist and carry up to 50 Lbs."

Sounds like the perfect place to get a back injury. I wonder how much that is worth.

Is permanent disability insurance covered, or do I have to sue you when I get hurt?

Not having salary listed is a good way to have people discouraged from applying. Having everything listed in the job description and being transparent about salary, benefits makes it easy for future employees to see if your job is competitive. Your lack of follow through is scary.

Employee Employee
Jan '22

Curiousc - as someone who is looking to change jobs, I will not even entertain a job posting without a compensation range. I don't want to waste my time or the employers time.

Have you thought about reaching out to local high schools to see if they have any upcoming or recent graduates that want to enter the workforce upon graduation?

Jenny Jenny
Jan '22

As a retail worker I think it's safe to say a lot of people dont want to work because since all this happened, customers have been AWFUL to deal with. I get that people have bad days but when you're being treated like dirt by every human you come into contact with simply for asking if they need help with anything, you start to question whether the pay is worth it. Plus I've noticed that people are still spending like crazy, maybe a lot of people are reselling? My biggest issue with jobs is def the health insurance though.

Thatsit! Thatsit!
Jan '22

Salary commensurate with ability always meant a low paying job . It doesn't seem like that has changed at all .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '22

Don't count out those of us looking for a job but won't get the job because we are nearing retirement age - We experienced workers have work ethics some younger people have yet to develop. However, we are usually not considered for the position because of our age. I am looking and have been looking even for part time and it is hard - the interviews I have been on only want to pay minimum wage and with the experience, work ethics we semi retired people have that is not possible. I simply cannot live on just SS - it does not cut it. I would prefer a part time, however, would seriously consider full time - I just don't get it, people are looking for jobs, maybe you are just reaching out to the wrong audience. Don't count us older crowd out, we still have a lot of steam under our belts!

Kathleen Nolan Kathleen Nolan
Jan '22

Kathleen Nolan I agree with you 100%. I have retired and looked for a part time office position. I have managed people for over 35 years in an office and production environment and am very knowledgeable in the Microsoft office suite. I think they look at your age and throw your resume to the side. I want these employers to know it is not that I couldn't work and do a full time job, but, I worked for 44 years and do not want to, and don't need to financially, do a full job. I would like to however have a structure part of retirement years and have the free time to pursue my leisure other interest.

I agree with Kathleen Nolan and JimT. I also have experience and great work ethics but when an older person applies, or walks in that immediately becomes a negative to prospective employers. It’s very frustrating.

Green Trees Green Trees
Feb '22

I would take two retired employees over one of these kids with no work ethic any day. Also, another thing is that if you are looking at it from a companies side of things, if you hire two PT employees they may not need benefits. If they don't need benefits, you could hire two employees for the price of one. But that is only if they don't need benefits. If they need benefits then just hire one. I do not agree with companies like Walmart that only hire PT to save cost and screw people.

My suggestion is that during the interview process you tell them that you do not need benefits (if that is the case). It may be a deciding factor.

Skipper
Feb '22

Sounds like curious is looking for a warehouse worker. Not much skill needed, but a pay scale should definitely be listed. People won't get outta bed for less than $20 an hour now

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Feb '22

Curious
I think the issue is: the job is just too physically demanding. I'm a middle age woman, with some health issues, looking for a PT position to supplement my husband's income. Everything I just said would prevent me from getting any job. I'm not going to lie, however, we live in society that punishes people for being honest.
Back to your problem. There is very small pool of people physically capable of performing the position you're looking to fill, and it has a high potential for injury. It doesn't matter that it's unskilled labor, there aren't a lot of people who can and are willing to do it and risk permanent injury. Those factors need to taken into consideration when deciding base pay, yes benefits matter, but so does paying the rent and eating and that's what unskilled labor is usually more concerned about. I'm sure you have workers comp insurance but it's not long term disability insurance, they're different. I understand you're a smaller business but you can't function without employees and it's not just about what they're worth. I actually just posted another comment on another page, if you appreciate people, they appreciate you. It doesn't have to be a good job, it has to be a good place to work. Current employees will recommend you. My husband's employer can't hire or keep people because they treat their employees like crap. And they're non-profit, religious affiliated.
Post the salary, talk up the job when scheduling the interview(we're a team here, ect. blah, blah) and treat people right. And weed out crappy managers. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
This is honesty coming from a low level shift supervisor, that's been injured AND assaulted on the job. (The company I worked for was so awful when I was assaulted I eventually HAD to get an attorney to MAKE them do the right thing. It should never have to come that.)

Rayann Rayann
Feb '22

Are you serious?? There are very few people capable of doing an ordinary warehouse job? Please. Our society has become so “soft” and it’s getting worse by the day. This country was built by folks that worked long, hard hours doing physically demanding jobs……farming, steel mills, building railroads, manufacturing, etc. People today are only a couple of generations removed from those times, but act like it’s totally unreasonable to ask someone to work hard.

To repeat what Josh said above…..we are in a time of weak people.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Feb '22

Green Trees, I agree. I'm reaching that age and also I have two friends in their fifties, early sixties, as well looking for either full time or supplemental jobs. It's like a lot of employers think that 'at your age' you can't grasp technology - even when it's been around for years and you've been using it for yearrrrs. You also get people thinking you'll die a week later vs a 22 year old who may or may not be there til they find something better career wise. It works both ways, because sometimes they want young, but want 10 years experience. I'd just like to find a PT job and be taken on face value. I just hope employers don't overlook those of us in our 50s and early 60s. We have plenty to give and hopefully (LOL) a lot of time left to be productive.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '22

fair wages and benefits will bring employment. (guaranteed)

rob the roofer rob the roofer
Feb '22

During last year's shutdowns, a handful of my friends and (former) coworkers simply realized that they didn't *have* to have that second household income. Of course they have had to make some changes to their lifestyle, but they decided the increased quantity and quality of time with their families was more important to them than the money they were bringing in when they were working. If I personally know 3 or 4 people who made this calculation for themselves, then there must be hundreds of thousands of others out there who did the same.

Monty Monty
Feb '22

That sounds great until you look the average person's retirement savings.

Everybody has different priorities.

Monty Monty
Feb '22

@farmerjake and those people worker those jobs, compared to today, could provide for a family with just the husband working. Today that is literally impossible. More people would line up for those jobs if they knew that one, they could support their families with the work they do. Two, have the proper benefits Incase they do get hurt on the job, they won't go into financial turmoil that they can't recover from.

It's not about going soft, it's about not being compensated for the work. Minimum wage has increased what in 50years? Peanuts, while CEOs can increase their wages 200% in the same time. I guess if the boot tastes nice, keep on licking.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Feb '22

Yesimpi. No. It is about society now being soft. 50 lbs? Come on. I do agree that compensation isn’t keeping up for the working guy. If you want a hard worker, their out there, but you have to pay.

Indie Indie
Feb '22

“ and those people worker those jobs, compared to today, could provide for a family with just the husband working. Today that is literally impossible”

This couldn’t be more incorrect. Two generations ago, people were content having one car for the family and an 1100 sq ft house. If you bought a TV in 1958, you had that same TV until 1978. My father told me a typical Christmas for him would be one gift like a football. That’s it. And that was your football for your entire childhood and the ball you taught your son to throw. People could 100% raise a family on one salary the way people did 60 years ago.

Consigliere
Feb '22

Many localers must be relying on the Unemployment income to live on!

or they don't want to work amongst others in this Pandemic.

or they are living off their savings or investments for now.

or living scott-free and not paying rent due to Governor Murphy's okay that they can not pay rent, and the Landlords are unable to kick them out (yet)!

Hackresident Hackresident
Feb '22

Consigliere, you’re way off. If I make minimum wage, that’s $13/hour. That’s not enough to support a family. $13/hour X 40 hours per week X 4 weeks per month equals $2080 per month before taxes. That’s not enough to support one individual, let alone 3

Antiwork Antiwork
Feb '22

Since when does minimum wage need to be high enough to support a family. Or an individual to live comfortably?

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '22

Since when are businesses lauded for hiring adults full time but making it necessary for those adults to receive food stamps and other benefits at taxpayers' expense, just to make ends meet?

Don't hire full time adults if you can't pay them. Do the work yourself if it's so "easy" or if it's not a necessary job. If it IS necessary, pay them, unless you like businesses foisting responsibility onto taxpayers.

IncelsGoHome
Feb '22

I don't personally know anyone who isn't working now, that was working in 2019. Does anyone know personally a large amount of people that have opted-out of the workforce, or paused their career? Genuinely curious!

kepa
Feb '22

Employers cutback on hours at fast food places because the high mininum wage made it unprofitable to operate at low volume times..

Bug3
Feb '22

" If I make minimum wage, that’s $13/hour. That’s not enough to support a family."

Minimum wage is the minimum pay for the basic jobs.

Literally the lowest pay for the lowest value you provide to an employer- empty a trash can, mop, sweep, want fries with that?

If you want more pay- provide more value- make yourself more useful and worth more.

Nobody with a brain should expect to have a family, an apartment, a car, or even a pet on minimum wage.

It is something a 16 y/o makes at their first job for 90-180 days until they prove themselves and move up in responsibility.

Wrong. Minimum wage could support a family. It was a minimum livable wage. Do your research.

Antiwork Antiwork
Feb '22

Welcome to reality.

1 person doing the lowest value of worth should not expect to support a family.

To even suggest that is absurd.

Minimum wage could not even cover rent for a month. Possibly you could live on beans and noodles.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Feb '22

Josh, don’t be an idiot. History speaks for itself regarding minimum wage. At one point, it supported a family. And it still should.

Antiwork Antiwork
Feb '22

I'm not the idiot in this conversation.

If you think the lowest pay allowed for the simplest low effort / skill- job should be able to support a family- the job isn't the only simple thing in this conversation.

Although I suppose your chosen screen name speaks for itself- do you know what a hard days work is? Do you understand effort, worth? Have you ever started your own company? Or are you just one of the 'bosses are bad'- 'landlords are thieves' kind of ignoramus?

Work IS good. More people should try actually doing it.

"Minimum wage could not even cover rent for a month. Possibly you could live on beans and noodles."

And again- it isn't meant to.

Lowest pay for lowest effort. Should be a kids first job- sweep a floor, empty a trash can, hand someone an ice cream cone. Then get experience, get a raise, start moving to other positions.

Min wage is something 16 y/o kids do... a grown adult should have something more to offer an employer- be able to do some data entry into a computer, answer phones and deal with customers, OR put forth effort in some manual labor- pick up a hammer and saw, turn a wrench.

Take a class- learn how to weld, how to troubleshoot a PC, how to DO something.

There are a LOT of options to gain value / worth. A grown adult shouldn't expect to do a job that a child could do- yet complain when they get paid like a child.

Pretty harsh, Josh. Go work one of those jobs for a week, then come back and tell us how easy it was on your feet all day putting up with customers and so on. You don't seem to have much empathy. I see jobs all the time that I think are hard that I couldn't do, like work all day on my feet at a convenience store. They work pretty hard. I see people all the time that work hard and just because it's not some 'adult' job as you think doesn't mean they don't have worth - especially when the boss / owner makes a lot of money.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '22

"Go work one of those jobs for a week, then come back and tell us how easy it was on your feet all day putting up with customers and so on."

A whole week? Dealing with customers? How does anyone survive that?

When I was a kid- I worked in many factories and nasty jobs- everything from Elastamold here- to the Nabisco plant in Sussex, and even the chicken farm on the other side of Washington. I seal coated the entire M&M plant parking lot in August back in the 90's. I've worked pumping gas, I've worked blowing snow overnights at the ski slopes. I've worked hot summer days at a landscaper. I've worked fast food, including the Mcd here in hackettstown, I've worked as a life guard, I've worked as a barback at a night club.

I've worked nights on the line at UPS in Mt Olive both before AND after I did 4 years in the U.S. Army as a medic and EMT.

Difference is- the 2nd time I worked at UPS busting my ass- I had grown up enough to want to make my life better- so after I finished my overnight shift each day- I went home and showered, put on a decent shirt & pants- and went to afternoon classes for computers at Chubb SO I COULD GET A BETTER JOB- and I did.

Life is harsh. I'm real. Like Forrest Gump- I've worn lots of shoes.

Want more pay? Earn it. I don't care if all you know is how to get a job at McDonalds- show up on time, do a good job. Don't bail on Friday nights because you want to go out. Don't come in hung over. When they need someone to scrub toilets- raise your hand and do it with a smile. When your shift is up- ask if you can stay another 15 minutes to take out the garbage or sweep the floor. When the time comes that they need to promote somebody to line manager- you are much more likely to get it than the others. Then shift manager, then store manager, etc.

Nobody said things are quick or easy- but there is no reason whatsoever a grown adult should complain about minimum wage- because they should have elevated themselves above it.

Go get training or education if you don’t like your minimum wage, customer service job. Stop crying

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '22

Josh I went to CHUBB also at Short Hills then. back in 1976. Days of punch cards and JCL. I worked for 44 years in computer and business areas and spent 32 years at my last company. I think some people have a point here. I retired with all good intentions of finding a part time office job. I applied to many jobs on linkedin including a cover letter and my resume. I got no responses back. I think there is prejudice against older workers. By the way congratulations Josh on your outstanding work ethic.

Antiwork, you’re moving the goalposts. My comment was replying to “you used to be able to support a family on one income.” I said nothing about minimum wage jobs which, let’s be honest here, are for high school kids and retirees. If you’re 40 years old with a family and your best prospect is minimum wage, you screwed up a LONG time ago.

Consigliere
Feb '22

"If you’re 40 years old with a family and your best prospect is minimum wage, you screwed up a LONG time ago."

Okay got it, so then what should they do, die? I'm assuming they probably don't have money to run their time machine otherwise they would have gone back and fixed that screw up you're saying they made.

Reasonable Reasonable
Feb '22

No reasonable, how dare people get unlucky, get medical debt, have a family member get pregnant or sick, have a business shut down, get sick or have an accident themselves, get in a car wreck no fault of their own, etc etc. They just need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and stop their Netflix subscription, then they'll be fine....

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Feb '22

Gee I wonder how the boomers survived when they got none of that stuff working mininum wage jobs...must have been a struggle

Bug3
Feb '22

Bug3 I did minimum wage jobs when I was 14, 15, and 16. If you are throwing things at the boomers. At 15 I was cleaning toilets in factories and waxing office floors. I assume you are younger than a boomer so you were probably playing video games on your parents couch and took all you could out of them to go through 5 or 6 years to get thru college. I believe when I was growing up our parents made us earn our keep. You were taken care of. When I got my first professional job back in 1977, I was 18, and lived in my parents house I paid $35 a week, translate that into todays salaries, when I made $7,600 a year. You at 27 were out trying to find yourself

Morons getting meaningless degrees, 100k in student debt, in the hopes of getting their dream job. Welcome to real life

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '22

What happened to on the job training. I'm trying to find a new job get out of what I've been doing for 13 years applying and not hearing back I thought that was a big hiring problem in New Jersey but yet employers are still very picky I don't want to do on the job training but yet I do qualify if they would go further down on my resume so I guess I have to redo it and take some information off and add back on stuff I did way back from the day if that's what they want to see but don't keep saying there's hiring problem out there when people are trying to apply and no I don't even hear back from employer so nothing's changed on either end!

Outdoor Women
Feb '22

Jim t
I was complementing boomers by starting low and over coming it. You know..growing up and finding a real job with benefits instead of throwing a hissy fit because they don't want to work fir prosperity..they want it given to them

Bug3
Feb '22

Bug3 I apologize. I misread your comment.

Jimt1058
Feb '22

Outdoor woman- what are your interests, motivations, aptitude area?

Maybe we can help you turn those into skills and income.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Looking for Work
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.