RIP John Madden

One of the greatest football coaches the NFL has ever known. Also, the best broadcaster ever to call a game. A true icon to say the least.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32953839/nfl-hall-fame-coach-broadcasting-icon-john-madden-dies-85

and all those Madden NFL Video game series

Yes indeed, I grew up on Madden and Summerall every Sunday on CBS. They were the apex of broadcasting back then, and no broadcasting team since them has surpassed them, imo.

He had a great life doing what he loved...RIP.

onlyonetruth onlyonetruth
Dec '21

One of the very best! RIP Mr. Madden.

Richie
Dec '21

I will miss hs keen insights and sense of humor not to mention his keeping my Raiders in the hunt for years.

I grew up playing Madden football on a variety of game systems and of course watched him and Pat do all those live broadcasts. I hope his family/estate continues to see some money out of EA video games for the use of his name. RIP, legend.

Consigliere
Dec '21

He did OK with EA Sports...

From Sportscasting website:

Madden has made more money from the games than he did from any other part of his career. His big payday came in the mid-2000s, amid rumors that EA was considering dropping his name from its future football games.

Instead, the legendary NFL coach signed a $150 million deal that allows EA to use his name and likeness in perpetuity. Madden also earns additional millions annually in royalties from the games. But he could’ve earned even more.

When the company’s stock first went public, he was offered an opportunity to buy it for just $7.50 a share. Thinking EA was just trying to milk money out of him, Madden declined. He later called this decision the “dumbest thing [he] ever did in [his] life” — and for good reason.

EA’s stock was priced at $70 by 1999 and reached an all-time high of close to $150 a share in July 2018 — thanks in large part to the franchise that bears Madden’s name and will for the foreseeable future.

and "Boom!"

"That's a lot of guys who got there in a real hurry"

"You see, now that's working for them, They should keep doing that till the other guys make them stop"

Maddenfan
Dec '21

John Madden certainly was iconic, but hardly the best broadcaster ever to call a game.

You would have to be an NFC-centric fan even to consider such a proposition.

You can have Summerall and Madden calling a boring Bears-Lions game... I'll take Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen calling the Chargers-Dolphins any day of the week.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '21

Madden , very entertaining and knew the game ,played and coached.....back when they stood for the anthem

wrestlref wrestlref
Jan '22

The argument for Madden being the best was that he knew the game and its rules better than any other broadcaster. Plus a genuine nice guy but not high energy...

Re: RIP John Madden

He’s an interesting article from a New York post sports writer giving you a different view of Mr. Madden. https://nypost.com/2022/01/06/john-madden-passed-up-his-chance-to-stop-the-nfls-decay/

Hadenough Hadenough
Jan '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: RIP John Madden
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.