Old Hackettstown street lamp decorations

Does anyone recall or have pictures of Main Street with the old decorations that used to hang from light and telephone poles? My brother and l were just reminiscing about being kids in the 1980’s and were debating what shapes there were. I recall a tree, bell, star and stocking. Were there others? Seemed like half the bulbs were usually out but we loved them anyway! Anyone know how long they’d been around? 1950’s maybe?

Eperot Eperot
Dec '21

I have heard that the town used to decorate a tree right at the end of Grand Avenue in the middle of the road! Imagine that today?

Hickory Dog
Dec '21

When I owned a business on Main St. back in the late 70s and early 80s and was involved with the Hackettstown Trade Association we purchased a Angel to add to the other decorations you mentioned, Eperot...These were stored at the Fire House each year and put up the following year by the Hackettstown Volunteer Fire Dept...I have no idea when they started using these for the Main St. decoration but have a feeling it might have been in the 1960s...

joyful joyful
Dec '21

I remember the Angel now that you mention it, Joyful.

Eperot Eperot
Dec '21

She was beautiful, Eperot...and I remember I stored her in the back of my store for a while until it was time to put it up for Christmas on Main St.

joyful joyful
Dec '21

I don't have a pic, but remember them fondly as well. They were a mix of candycanes, Christmas trees, snowflakes and Santa maybe? Would love to see it as well if anyone has an old pic of Main St. at Christmas time. (They lit up)....

LV_momof3
Dec '21

Dover had the same type of lights and I loved them. My favorites were the candlesticks and the red stockings. I'm sure they were similar to the ones in Hackettstown.

If you go up to NJ the Scranton Area or out to the Slate Belt in PA they still put out the old ones in those down on their luck towns. And they still only half light up (but what do you expect from PA)?

Jimmy's Mommy Jimmy's Mommy
Dec '21

Re: Old Hackettstown street lamp decorations

The only one I can find thus far... but I recall seeing these late 60's early 70's as a child.

Grascal
Dec '21

I can remember as a little kid before the town switched to the individual decorations they put up long strands of green and red lights ( big bulbs ) with green holly that ran on both sides on main street from the old Hess station up to someware around Tickners. Also the big tree at Main and Grand Ave. The town looked so beautiful back then. I think Wires Electric had something to do with it back then !

Bob K Bob K
Dec '21

Before Grand Ave was reconfigured, there was a raised concrete curb and sidewalk area where the tree was placed at Christmas time. I am happy to see the Star and Cross still remain. They remind me of good times and past fond memories!

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Dec '21

@grascal and @bob I remember the decorations when I was a kid! . I miss them and think they looked better than the wreaths on the lamp posts!

Michael Michael
Dec '21

Many towns had Christmas illuminated decorations years ago. Makes me nostalgic remembering how towns looked at Christmas. I've got no photos but would appreciate seeing some....

Greenie Greenie
Dec '21

Yes, I remember those. I remember a Rudolf head with a bright red nose (of course). That one was my favorite!

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of Christmas decorations in Hackettstown from the 1970's or 1980's except wreath type decorations. Attached is Blackwell Street, Dover, New Jersey at Christmas time in 2017.

DebbieH DebbieH
Dec '21

Historical view of employee's of Wire's electrical Shop erect Christmas tree on Main Street, Hackettstown, New Jersey in front of Bach's Drug Store.

DebbieH DebbieH
Dec '21

Christmas tree and decorations next to 147 Main Street, Hackettstown, New Jersey in the 1930's or 1940's. Photo credit=Yvonne Rafalko Mooney

DebbieH DebbieH
Dec '21

I remember the tree at Grand Avenue...wasn't there an annual tree lighting ceremony too?

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Dec '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.