Giving away kids used bike. Any liability?

Hey all,

My kids have grown out of their 12”, 14” and 18” bikes and instead of throwing them out (they are cheapie $40 Walmart bikes that I can’t imagine anyone actually paying for now that they’re used) I though maybe I’d park them next to the road with a “free” sign. Then I started to wonder, if someone’s kids gets injured riding one of these things because of a part malfunctioning, could I be held legally responsible? It a shame we have to think this way these days but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Thoughts?

Consigliere
Nov '21

Donate to an organization

glitzie glitzie
Nov '21

If u have to ask that question just scrap the bikes. Also if u put in front of your dwelling someone may step on your lawn n roll n ankle n sue!!

"It a shame we have to think this way these days"

Indeed. It's bloody ridiculous.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Nov '21

I’m sure anyone can sue anyone for anything. Those cheap bike do have value. They will sell for $20 on Craigslist.

Sacks cousin
Nov '21

Contact Mr Dietrick at Warren Hills High School. He runs a program that collects bikes. I think it is called Pedals for Progress.

Stay Woke
Nov '21

If you're concerned about it I wouldn't take the risk. Just donate them and you should be good. You should even be able to get a receipt.

Flemmer Flemmer
Nov '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Giving away kids used bike. Any liability?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.