Old food store

What was the food store called that used to be in what is now patriots plaza?In the early 2000s I moved here and it was a no frills discount food store near the blockbuster.
A friend told me it was a and p but this was not a regular a and p, it was a no frills bring your own carton or bag type place and I cannot recall the name.

Something like Food Basics.
Was a subsidiary of A&P.
They had bags with their name on it.
Also boxes for your purchases.
Poor quality produce.
Some brand names but many 2nd tier.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '21

Food basics...it was a a&p before that

Bug3
Oct '21

Not sure when, but I'm pretty sure at one point it was an Aldi.

Lynnada Lynnada
Oct '21

It was another store very briefly after Food Basics that was not owned by A&P. Something like Food Savers. It may have felt like Aldi's for sure, but that was never there.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the information!

GC is correct; it was never an ALDI's.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Oct '21

I always called it the green A & P

A&P... where the bread is green but the produce isn't.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '21

Yep....was a A&P forever, then they opened the new A&P at the corner of 46 & Naughright, the old store was briefly rebranded as a "Food Basics", which was a subsidiary of A&P. It didn't last long and was shuttered for several years before it was demolished and the medical building erected.

Bemused Bemused
Oct '21

Then there was the A&P where the Kohl's is now.. That was only there briefly.. Nice bright store

Tommy
Oct '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Old food store
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.