Lack of squirrels and chipmunks

This time of year my lawn is usually teaming with squirrels and chipmunks gathering nuts. This year there are very few. I am wondering what happened to them all.

Jimt1058
Oct '21

My squirrels are MIA, too. I do have chipmunks that come by, but not the usual amount of little friends. Had a lot of bugs this year out there, though - wasps, lantern flies, ants, etc.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

Throw some english walnuts on your lawn and see what happens

Bug3
Oct '21

they are all at my house

bflat4u bflat4u
Oct '21

I hardly have any - very strange. I'm attributing it to the amount of lantern flies that are living in my tree's & all the bee's......

Luca, maybe that was my problem, because before summer, I had a lot of squirrels and chipmunks, but then had a lot of bees and wasps and so on. Now that it's simmered down, maybe I'll got back to feeding regularly.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

I also noticed that the squirrels and chipmunks and even the family of raccoons living under my shed have all disappeared. I still have a fairly chunky groundhog though.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '21

Coronavirus disease

John Sutton John Sutton
Oct '21

They’re all at my house too. Come and get ‘em.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '21

Talked to wildlife expert he said there is a phenomenal crop of nuts and berries and they are staying in the woods not hassling our bird feeders.

Fishmaker Fishmaker
Oct '21

Plenty at my place as well!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '21

I notice not many birds around either. Catbirds Northern Blue birds Baltimore Orioles and a few others.

The nut drop this year is simply amazing… the squirrels and chipmunks are keeping them self busy in the Forrest!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Oct '21

“phenomenal crop of nuts“

That explains why my hickory trees are dropping nuts faster then I can clean them up. Filled a 55 gallon trash can over the weekend and still lots to go.

Sacks cousin
Oct '21

Lots of chipmunks here and have spotted just a few squirrels. Oak trees, at least ours, aren’t producing acorns this year, but the hickory trees have made up for that.

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '21

I have seen coyotes as close as the trade zone. Maybe they are here?

Rbilly Rbilly
Oct '21

Oh they are definitely here in Independence. I've heard them go through my yard, yipping & barking, late at night.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '21

They are everywhere

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Oct '21

coyote in my back yard last month. Dog chased it away.

Sacks cousin
Oct '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Lack of squirrels and chipmunks
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.