Heavy Brush Removal

The back part of my yard is basically trees, shrubs, bushes & heavy brush. The past couple years an invasive weed, called a million mile weed, has taken it over. Does anyone know who does heavy brush removal & treatment to kill that weed. It's probably hopeless getting rid of it entirely, but I want to beat it back a bit.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '21

Any landscaper should be able to do this. A weedwacker with a metal blade and maybe a small chainsaw is all that’s needed.

Sacks cousin
Oct '21

The weed wacker needs to have a straight shaft and be up to the task - many are not.
The only way to stop most invasives (including mile a minute) is herbicide. Round up sprayed on the leaves while the plant is actively growing will kill the plant down to the roots. Read the label and follow the directions. It might be too late this year since the plant needs to be actively growing.

Greenie Greenie
Oct '21

Thank you, Greenie. I'll give that a try next year. At my age (mid 70's), I certainly can't do much with weed wackers or chain saws, lol.
I pulled some of the dead/dying stuff off, carefully because of tiny, razor-like thorns, bagged it up, and now don't know how to get rid of it. I don't want to risk it "polluting" somewhere else & start growing. It definitely lives up to its name, mile-a-minute. It grows FAST.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '21

LD, the other name for the vine you are referring to is Asiatic Tearthumb.
Persicaria perfoliata is a species of flowering plant in the buckwheat family. Common names include mile-a-minute, devil's tail, giant climbing tearthumb, and Asiatic tearthumb. It is a trailing herbaceous annual vine with barbed stems and triangular leaves.
Once you have it, it grows like heck. By the time you notice it, the vine seems to be a few feet long.
I'll ask around to a few people I know and if they are interested, I'll send you their number.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Oct '21

I recommend Gem Landscaping call the owner Joel at 973 248-7353. He has done mulching and bush pruning and also Powerwashing the house and deck for me. All has work is great and I think he is rather reasonable

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Heavy Brush Removal
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.