What was a indicator to you of Wealth when you were growing up?

For me it was being the first one on your street to own a TV set. (Yes, I am very old!!)

joyful joyful
Sep '21

I lived in rentals most of my childhood, so big yards to play in, swing sets, a swimming pool… all said “wealth” to me!

A pool

Stymie Stymie
Sep '21

this was it for me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut2CEZinI6w

For a few years back in the day my parents were into the Amway thing. At that time, one major benchmark for "success" in Amway was generating an annual income of $30k. Also, owning a motorhome was a popular goal, which I always thought was hilarious because both my parents absolutely hated camping.

Monty Monty
Sep '21

BTW- we didn’t have one.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '21

A new car, that probably was $1500 or less!

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Sep '21

Having two cars in the driveway…Evan though they were used!

Barbara Barbara
Sep '21

Owning a very big Yacht and sailing around the world. Or being rich enough to live in Beverly Hills amongst the Stars.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '21

When I was in grammar school in Newark in the 50s, a girl in my class went to Disneyland. I couldn’t conceive that I would EVER in my life get to go there. I was sure she must be rich except that she continued to live in the same neighborhood

Maythree Maythree
Sep '21

A house

Hadenough Hadenough
Sep '21

The kids in school that got to go on ski trips. Plus, kids who lived in the 'better' part of town with the big houses - thought they were rich. Now that I think about it, most of them did go on the school ski trips. LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

I am Elmer J. Fudd millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht.

Pookietoo Pookietoo
Sep '21

Kids going away for summer camp or vacations.
Also, expensive sneakers! that kind of thing.

Air conditioning. If it was a wall unit instead of in the window, “more wealthy”.

Blackcat Blackcat
Sep '21

AC in your car, central air in your home.
Push button phone and Converse "Chuck Taylor" high top sneakers to name a few...had none of these for a long time...but turned out well.

Towny Towny
Sep '21

A house as we always lived in apartments,

For me, it was the ability to see a special doctor. I had bad acne, and the thought of my mother being able to come up with $50 to see a dermotologist was unheard of. That was for the rich kids.

mattnyd mattnyd
Sep '21

Having a second home at the shore or mountains WAS NOT a sign -- go figure...

A Cadillac and/or swimming pool.

AnneE AnneE
Sep '21

Pets, going on trips across the world every summer/getting to travel out of state a lot, clothing

Hayley Hayley
Sep '21

People from Jersey :)

Jimbo1 Jimbo1
Sep '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: What was a indicator to you of Wealth when you were growing up?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.