Food Waste Recycling/Composting Facility near our town

Residents of Mansfield Township heard about a proposal for a food waste recycling facility in Mansfield Township off of Blau Rd. This facility will bring in food waste from the surrounding areas for processing. The town officals stated it is in the very early stages but we need to act now to get ahead of this.

This facility can create increased traffic, damage to roads due to increased truck traffic as well as possible increase of accidents. In addition it can facilitate a rodent population and increase other wildlife attracted to such a facility from smell of the food waste off-gassing. Many of the surrounding housing developments are also concerned about well water contamination, other environmental issues and the effects on property values
Please sign our petition to stop this at https://www.change.org/Stop-Food-Waste-Facility

Donald Proefrock Donald Proefrock
Aug '21

Ahhh yes. We push our legislatures to mandate things like food recycling in the interest of being green, but no one wants the facilities in their neighborhood. I guess there is always someone else's back yard something like this can go into.

See the same thing in the energy field - "must have green energy like solar or wind" immediately followed by "I don't want to look at those solar panels or windmills."

jnnjr jnnjr
Aug '21

The city people. need to go back to the city

Bug3
Aug '21

First off, don't waste or throw out perfectly good food!!! This happens all the time! Second, every household needs to do backyard composting or worm composting and compost their kitchen/food scraps--companies, restaurants too. Easy and more efficient.

As johnny cash’s song once said, You're gonna cry, cry, cry

Hmmmm....
Aug '21

Mabey I’ll build a sewage processing plant right next to it. We’ll have both ends of the food game covered!!!

We compost, albeit on a much smaller scale, but we've never had any issues with rodents.

Welcome To NJ....

Never Lost It
Aug '21

More details can be seen at https://www.stopthemfdump.com/

Donald Proefrock Donald Proefrock
Aug '21

Maybe if they spelled "town council" correctly on the link it would be more credible

Bug3
Aug '21

Valid point! LOL.

Wonderful, another Borealis?? perhaps one day Mansfield, once one of the most picturesque valleys in the state, can look just like Linden or Elizabeth, can't wait to see AND smell it.

Old Sam
Aug '21

Believe me it will smell for miles around. It has a sweet sickening smell. You will not want to open your windows. Most of the food comes from grocery stores. I lived on a property with this dump and the truck traffic and smell were horrible.

Mrs803 Mrs803
Aug '21

15-30 dump trucks of decaying food per day, rolling through Hackettstown and Mansfield from as far away as Morristown, Branchburg, Bridgewater, and Easton... sure there's nothing to smell here. Because nothing ever spills off of trucks.

Scott R Scott R
Aug '21

Thought that I would throw in my two cents,
Terrible location.
There is no access from H'town, both Grand Ave, and Allen Rd are restricted to truck traffic. The only real way in or out is through Heiser Rd, or coming up through Port Murray and down Rockport, ( although not sure that the small bridge in Port Murray Rd. can handle this either, I suspect not, but. ).
It would seem there would be a better location, maybe further up on Rt.31 ? Better access for trucks as well as being safer for traffic.
Just my thoughts.

None
Aug '21

It’s easy for the peeps that don’t live so close to this proposed site to say it’s all good. I’m 2 houses down from the site and I don’t want it . Who’s the brain that came up with this BS? Our beautiful houses will surely decrease in value and I don’t want to hear trucks coming and going all hours of the day/evening. The roads are falling apart now, don’t need more traffic. I for one never received any info on this happening, they just started cutting down trees and hauling them out!

Trish Trish
Aug '21

Trish,
The property where someone is doing tree clearing is not where the food composting facility is proposed to be located. The compost facility would be on Blau Road across from the church before you get to the RR tracks.
The tree clearing is a different issue. No one from the town knew what was going on. I called Warren County Soils and they were unaware that there was clearing activity occurring on this property. After they visited the site they told me it was a farming operation and didn’t require any permits or approvals from Soil Conservation. This despite that they cleared between 5-10 acres of land with no erosion controls put in place and muddy runoff eventually getting dumped into the Musconetcong. It’s a mess.
Regarding the food compost facility planned for Blau Road, according to the planner of this facility, Coker Compost, http://www.cokercompost.com/ , the food compost facility is planned to handle 17,000 tons of food garbage each year. Nearly 100,000 pounds per day. Not only will you have the trucks bringing in the food waste but you will also have the trucks taking the product (mulch) out of the facility. Our town can’t control the few trucks that go to Borealis, how are they going to manage the additional truck traffic going to and from the compost facility? How many trucks traveling through Hackettstown are going to take the wrong route and end up stuck at the train trestle on Grand Ave. or drive over a bridge not designed for the weight of the truck?
The owner of the property has had it for sale for over 10 years. It hasn’t sold because it’s not a great location due to limited truck access.
No one is arguing the need for a food compost facility but this proposed location makes no sense. Wouldn’t a location with better access for trucks be a wiser choice? I hear there’s a resource recovery facility on Route 31 near the intersection with Route 46. Maybe that should be looked at.
I would hope the Land Use Board of Mansfield acts in the best interest of its tax paying residents and kills this idea before it gains any traction. I believe a variance is needed for this project to move forward. They should deny any variances requested and do something right for the people who have a vested interest in preserving the quality of life they currently enjoy. The Grandview neighborhood is one of the nicest in Mansfield. Residents take care of their properties. It would be a shame to see it decline due to the shortsightedness of a select few.

PO’d on Watters PO’d on Watters
Aug '21

Does anyone know how much revenue for the town this would mean. I see no statistics on the financial benefits to the town. If we are going to debate it let’s debate both sides.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Sep '21

According to the food waste recycling bill that Murphy signed, the municipality can earn a benefit of not less than 50 cents per ton. If this facility was operating at full capacity at 17,000 tons per year, the town only earns a minimum of $8,500. This won’t even cover the extra costs to the town in terms of road repair and policing costs related to the extra truck traffic.
Doesn’t seem worth it. Why would the township even consider allowing this? Who does it benefit? Certainly not the residents of Mansfield.

Sep '21

Here's a link to the Food Waste Recycling Act - https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2020/Bills/PL20/24_.HTM

Sep '21

Thanks PO. Clearly money is not the motivation for the town. At least documented money anyway. Who’s getting paid for this deal. Someone is.

Sep '21

After reading some of these posts, I was curious as to exactly where Blau Road is, sort of had an idea but checked out my Google map. And I have to say, where is the common sense in this? Why would a company want to situate a large processing plant out in the middle of a rural countryside with no major roadways for access? One lane country roads (I know Rockport Road is a County road), narrow, an underpass at one end that trucks can't get through, a bridge over railroad tracks that might not be built for heavy trucks, sharp curves, etc. That company on Thomas Road is bad enough. I've seen trucks trying to navigate their way there too. Ridiculous.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Sep '21

If it is where I'm thinking on Blau road, could it be that they may want to utilize the train tracks? I agree the roads back there do not really seem suitable for truck traffic, but if they are planning on utilizing the train line, it would make sense.

jnnjr jnnjr
Sep '21

The concept plan does not include any planned use of the rail line. Trucks with up to 30 yard dumpsters will pick up the food waste from various facilities from at least a 25 mile radius and bring it to the site on Blau Rd. Larger, dump trailer trucks will be used to haul the mulch from the site.
Don’t worry though, the applicants will promise there will be no noise, smell, flies or vermin. This will be the cleanest, state-of-the-art facility ever built.
Right.
What happens if it’s built and the developer’s promises were just BS? We end up stuck living with this. And if the business fails we’re left with a property that can’t be readily used for another type of business.

Sep '21

Wow, sorry folks to be the bearer of bad news but I was personally involved as a resident of Roxbury Township (Mooney Mountain), in the fight against Fenimore Landfill. It became my life for 2 years. There is nothing positive to come from this situation. Experienced Trucks coming in at 4:00 am to get a jump on delivery, trucks speeding through residential roads not meant for tractor trailers/dump trucks, uncovered trucks, couldn’t make the turns onto Mooney Road without causing traffic issues at Route 206, confrontation with the actual truck drivers, horrendous odor, run off from the landfill into residential wells. Truckers bringing in illegal debris (asbestos), etc. trucks breaking down, trucks flipping and dumping debris (remember these are residential roads not highways). Waking up early morning hours, jumping in my car to follow a truck while taking a video. Lots and lots of videos which were requested by Roxbury Twp. to take to Trenton. I could go on and on, so many stories to tell. Seven years ago but seems like yesterday. Stand your ground, show up and be heard. Hire experts to help in the fight if you can, you will need professional help. Internet: type in Fenimore Landfill videos, those are mine and they don’t lie. I moved to Port Murray 2 years ago, couldn’t believe it when I saw the yard signs . . . Déjà vu

Diane O Diane O
Oct '21

No thanks

The developer of the proposed food waste facility is holding an information session this Saturday, 2/5/2022. It will be held at the site on Blau Road. I believe it starts at 11am.
Don't know if this is accurate, but I heard that the owner (Pio Costa) plans to circumvent the normal approval process and will instead go directly to the NJDEP to get this project approved. If this project will be a benefit to the community why would they try to avoid the normal approval procedure?
This project will have a negative impact not just on Mansfield, the increased truck traffic will also affect Hackettstown, Washington (Morris and Warren), Chester, Mount Olive. Any large food waste generator located in New Jersey will be required by law to send the waste to a facility like this if the facility is within 25 miles. It will add dozens of trucks to our local roads each day.
Here's a link to an advisory about the new law issued by the NJDEP. It lists what would be sent to a facility like the one proposed:

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl= https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nj.gov%2Fdep%2Fenforcement%2Fadvisories%2F2021-12.pdf&clen=289790

Come to the meeting this Saturday and find out what is being proposed and how it will impact our community.

Feb '22

Bad link posted above.

Here is the DEP advisory with other links to information contained within it.:

https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/advisories/2021-12.pdf

Also-
"Don't know if this is accurate, but I heard that the owner (Pio Costa) plans to circumvent the normal approval process and will instead go directly to the NJDEP to get this project approved. If this project will be a benefit to the community why would they try to avoid the normal approval procedure?"

I highly doubt the applicant is attempting to avoid or circumvent anything at the local level. Clearly there is a bunch of work to be done as well as voluminous regulations to deal with at the state level to implement a facility of this nature. Naturally they would be working closely with DEP as they must do so. Just following the application procedures I'm sure.

It is clear this type of processing facility is now needed with the new law in place.

Obviously these facilities will need to be built. However they should be located in an area that makes sense. This location on Blau Road is not ideal. I’m assuming the trucks would utilize the same truck route as the trucks going to Borealis. This would take these dozens of trucks each day from Route 57 to Heiser Road to Thomas Rd, then Rockport to Blau. The intersection of Heiser and Rt 57 has limited visibility as you approach it from 57 heading east. There’s also an issue with trucks pulling out of Heiser and heading east on 57 because of a limited sight line when looking west due to the curve in Route 57. A slowly accelerating truck can be a surprise to someone traveling east on 57 at 50 mph.
Wouldn’t it make sense for this facility to be located at the Warren County Resource Recovery Center in Oxford?Or put it at Pio Costa’s own quarry in Great Meadows. Both locations are on major truck routes providing better access from Routes 78 and 80.
No one is a saying these facilities shouldn’t be built. But let’s show some common sense in deciding where they’re located.

Feb '22

Why don't you go to the information meeting rather than posting " rumours and misinformation".. if you are going to compost..you do it in the country..near smelly farms and such..not in a populated industrial area..pure common sense

Bug3
Feb '22

Bug3
You wouldn’t put a facility that is reliant solely on large trucks to bring in the raw material (food waste and wood chips) and haul away your product (landscape mulch) in an area that has such a limited truck route. You also wouldn’t put it next to a residential area and across the street from a church.

Feb '22

+1

SAY NO TO THE MANSFIELD DUMP

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '22

Why don't you go to the meeting and find out what really is going on

Bug3
Feb '22

I plan to be there.
This meeting was originally scheduled for last Saturday 1/29, but was pushed a week due to the weather. We received a postcard in the mail informing us of this information session on 1/27. Only two days notice. Not much time to plan to attend if you had previous obligations. The postcard also didn’t provide the location of the meeting.
Thankfully the date change may help bring more people out to the meeting.
Here’s a website about the project the developer has started,
https://www.blauroad.com/

Feb '22

They are creating potting soil that they sell at lowes, home depot , shoprite and many other places

Bug3
Feb '22

In the project website ( https://www.blauroad.com/ ) in the FAQ section there is a link to a similar facility in Virginia. This is what it looks/operates:
https://youtu.be/obfZhrZUoas

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '22

The truck traffic is a big deal. Blau Road is barely a two lane road and is already in a state of disrepair. The facility is designed to process 17,000 tons of food waste per year. That’s 100,000 lbs of food waste per day getting dumped in our neighborhood. Plus they’ll need to truck in the wood chips needed for the composting process. Then the final product needs to be trucked out.
The owner has been trying to sell this site for years with no takers. Possibly due to restrictive truck routes to this location that make it unattractive to prospective developers.
It’s a bad location for any business that is so dependent on trucking.

Feb '22

Would you complain if they were building a Wegmans?

Feb '22

Greg, do you live anywhere near the proposed site? Reading online about other sites of this type, they do produce foul odors, as reported by nearby residents. That is enough of an impact.

Feb '22

The suggestion of Oxford Recovery Center road for this facility makes the most sense- a long stretch of unoccupied road that dead ends at a waste/recycling site, road wide enough for trucks, that exits onto rt 31 - someone pitch this to the developer!

kepa
Feb '22

Just off the top of my head, Kepa's suggestion sounds good, but, of course, would need further investigation. Don't know if they need railroad access. But I do like the idea of re-utilizing a site that has already been paved over and is vacant and could possibly be "recycled" for another use.

Feb '22

What, may I ask, is the zoning on the proposed site?

Stymie Stymie
Feb '22

The Virginia location referenced by the developer is on the site of a recycling center ,
Freestate Farms
(703) 542-4540
https://maps.app.goo.gl/sFkj5NXvjRcbtyU48

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '22

Well that was a chilly event! I found it informative. Nice to see about 25 or so people there despite the biting cold. I hope folks appreciated the property owner bringing in people to help with community dialog. While it was clear some residents didn't really care what was being explained I found the fact that she took the initiative to have an information exchange a nice thing to do.

Obviously this project is still in it's infancy. Lots to do prior to official plans being submitted. I guess we'll see what lies ahead.

It was interesting the expert, the three ladies as well as the property owner actually said I was the only one who thanked them for being there and answering questions. They didn't offer that I asked them if anyone else had thanked them.

Greg,
So what we learned today is:
1. The size of the facility will be larger than what was first planned. The original facility was supposed to handle 17,000 tons per year or 100,000 lbs of food waste per day. Now the owners are already planning to increase the capacity of the facility. They did not specify how many more tons of waste the revised plan will handle. More capacity means more trucks.
2. The planned truck route is Route 57 to Airport Road to Rockport to Blau. The expert who spoke estimated 17 trucks per hour (his estimate) bringing waste and wood chips in and hauling mulch out. This was based on the 17,000 tons per year, not the increased capacity now planned. I’m sure the folks in Beattystown will appreciate the additional traffic waiting at the light because there’s only one lane at the intersection of Airport and Rt 57. No way to get by a car, much less a truck turning left onto Airport from 57 East. My argument is that this area cannot handle the additional truck traffic that this facility will generate. I can’t wait to read the signs that will be posted on the corner of 57 and Airport Rd.
3. The expert could not guarantee that there will be no odor from this facility.
4. There was no discussion regarding pest control. How long is the waste sitting at the source before it is picked and hauled to the facility? Is it sitting in an outdoor trash dumpster for hours, days, a week? Is it already starting to rot and attract flies and vermin which will then be transferred to the compost facility? The expert stated that no animal could survive the temperature in a compost pile. This means that any vermin brought in would escape to the surrounding area. What’s the plan to control this?

No one is 100% sure what the impact of a facility such as this will have on the surrounding environment or on the quality of life for the area residents. Why risk putting this in an area that is far from ideal for an operation such as this when there are so many other options available?

Feb '22

We also learned that a traffic study has not been done.

Feb '22

I'd rather have an ugly warehouse than a smelly dump/composting center.

Feb '22

Because NJ didn't stink enough already. It'd be really awesome if we could fix the roads first. These potholes are getting rediculous.

Thatsit! Thatsit!
Feb '22

I understand that sentiment JR, it is a fair point. At least one will know with a warehouse it's a building(s), lots of pavement and the associated traffic. If it's mixed use then maybe some other inconveniences. With the proposed compost/recycling center there is a fair amount of uncertainty as to possible odors etc. Also, there is an idea of the traffic impact based loosely on the current known facts of the project.

"One thing I have learned in life is that nothing is forever..."

Unfortunately.

Feb '22

I’m surprised that the NJDEP wouldn’t have certain site location criteria for a compost facility of this size. There should be minimum standards for truck access, distance from residential properties, restrictions in areas where homes are serviced by wells, etc.
Don’t know if they do but if not, compost facilities should also have their own zoning classification and not be lumped into the industrial/commercial category.

Feb '22

A story on the great warehouse shortage just popped on my LinkedIn newsfeed

Feb '22

Wow! Big brother is watching! Perhaps listening too!? LOL.

Here’s an example of what we have to look forward to.
6:55 am this morning, driving up Hazen Road to 57. Had to stop on Hazen near the barn so a truck with a 53’ trailer could negotiate the curve coming down Hazen. The driver either missed the turn at Heiser for the truck route to Borealis or he mistook Hazen for Heiser. No regard for any posted signage.
How often will this happen with 100+ trucks per day?

Feb '22

Most of the local roads, including Airport, Allen, Hazen, Watters, Blau, etc., were not designed for the type of truck traffic we see on our highways today. These roads have been here since before I was born (I'm 73). Although some may have been paved or widened, slightly, they are not conducive to today's large trucks. But we've seen, over the years, that all those "traffic studies" that are conducted on behalf of these "developers" were laughable. And now the implied threat to force us to accept this proposal is that the property owners will sell to some who will build a warehouse out there.

Feb '22

> "And now the implied threat to force us to accept this proposal is that the property owners will sell to some who will build a warehouse out there."

Fine- build a warehouse!!! The lesser of 2 evils! (which unfortunately seems to be the way THE WORLD IS TODAY)

Feb '22

Warehouses have just as much truck traffic though?

kepa
Feb '22

Maybe, but they don't STINK.

A beautiful spring/summer evening, on the patio having dinner, and if the wind's blowing right... eeeewww! What's that's smell?!??! It really is enough to ruin an otherwise gorgeous evening out in the yard.

We already have a bit of this in the spring, when a local farm fertilizes fields with manure. That's one thing. But a 24-7-365 odor factory would not be welcome!

Feb '22

I work across from Global Recycling on Brighton Rd in Green Twp which also receives food waste. It stinks all day, everyday. Smells like a combo of rotting food, garbage & animal manure. Very pungent even in the winter!

Alamuche Alamuche
Feb '22

That sounds unpleasant. However you are comparing apples to oranges. Two very different facilities.

God forbid area residents entertain any rateable that doesn’t increase classroom size. ( biggest drain on property taxes)
What WILL you welcome?

Stymie Stymie
Feb '22

Seems like all the trucks coming from the east will have to come through Hackettstown to get to Airport Rd on Rt 57...?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '22

Here's a video of an Aerated Static Pile facility located in Longview, WA.
https://youtu.be/HOjbDmDTXZA
another in Virginia,
https://youtu.be/obfZhrZUoas
and one in NZ
https://youtu.be/cvIdiDaTbYc
Notice that these facilities are not near residential areas.
This website has some interesting info on compost facilities, https://compostsystems.com/
The composting process is not odor free. The odors are reduced through aeration of the piles. If the correct pH levels in the piles are not maintained the odors get worse. There is runoff from the piles that gets collected in a detention basin. I would assume the basin has a liner to prevent the runoff from entering the aquifer. All the nearby homes and businesses rely on well water.
Where would they get all the wood chips from? Will they be accepting yard waste, tree stumps, and debris from landscapers and tree removal companies? This means more vehicles coming into the area. Will they have an on-site grinder to produce their own wood chips? These grinders produce a lot of noise.
No one is against adding another ratable, but lets not ruin a town for the sake of a few bucks. I'm sure Mansfield will need to hire another police officer just to deal with the issues the extra truck traffic will bring. Plus the extra cost for maintaining the roads along the truck route.
This idea is nuts for this location.

Feb '22

Why not go visit the one on Sussex county that is supposed to be like the pne proposed in Mansfield?

Bug3
Feb '22

Re: Food Waste Recycling/Composting Facility near our town

Mark your calendar 03.16 7pm Mansfield elementary school.

You will see increased truck traffic through Hackettstown

Mansfield908
Mar '22

Anyone attend?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '22

Yes I did after leaving the 5 minute special council meeting here in town. Up there for shortest council meeting ever! LOL

It was well attended, about 80 people. Scott Reyes who is the driving force presented the plan to oppose the project and why. Lots of what was discussed above. There was also a very big push for each household agree to a maximum $200 payment to hire an attorney to help in the process. There was a power point with various points discussed. Some folks had questions and statements. The sum and substance was what we know- local residents don't want it and will oppose it. Lots of talking points- some accurate and some put out there in a sky is falling type fashion. That's how you do it. The big push is for legal representation hence the ask for financial support. On the website it states there will be minutes available for that meeting.

With that said I am just hearing on WRNJ that they have an attorney from Long Valley willing to work Pro Bono. That could be helpful. I gather it's hard to say how many folks would actually commit to a maximum $200 contribution.

In the news:
https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/newjersey/warren-county-residents-petition-to-keep-food-waste-recycling-center-out-of-community/article_7dcd77e4-aa97-11ec-827d-6f65b421cfe2.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '22

We could really use some additional signatures

https://www.change.org/p/township-of-mansfield-land-use-board-stop-mansfield-township-port-murray-nj-food-waste-recycling-composting-facility-blau-rd?recruiter=1218141408&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=tap_basic_share&fbclid=IwAR3Q3fI55BF2PQZcVF_pgN-Go9521Ce2YiC7igY_mfYd3VNikSl3iOPpSog

Mansfield908 Mansfield908
Aug '22

The application to the SWAC can be found here:
https://www.warrencountynj.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/4908/637962390427770000

Sep '22

Hopefully everyone, both folks opposed and people who are proponents of this project read through the application thoroughly in order to make decisions and arguments based on the facts stated in the application. Not based on emotions and or flat out fiction while making broad inflammatory, false statements. Like calling the proposed project a dump for example. LOL.

That "Stink! Trucks! Dump!" sign cracks me up every time I go drive down Blau.

I am curious to find out how many of these opponents to this project live in a development t hat was also beautiful farm land until your house was built on it.I have been in this area for 61 years and we didn't want to see all those houses either.

Boomer 50 Boomer 50
Sep '22

Copy and pasted from Mansfield FB page...

Update on the Dump off Blau in Mansfield.

The meeting on 9/1 with the county SWAC went well, we think. However, that meeting was not intended for us to voice our concerns. It was intended for PioCosta to present their application to build the dump.

Our numbers at the meeting, which I feel were minimal (75 people maybe) is what got us a voice.

What we know is, this dump lives or dies at the county level. We (NJLCPA, Lead by our attorney) have the opportunity to present our case to the Warren County SWAC on 10/6. We are in and have been in the process of preparing for that meeting.

The SWAC will vote either for or against the dump and provide their recommendation to the county commissioners. If the commissioners feel that the dump is not good for the county then it's DOA. If they feel it is good for the county then it goes to the NJDEP (condensed explanation of how it works) If that happens, a yes from the commissioners, then chances are it will most likely be approved by the NJDEP.

We will be starting a more detailed campaign shortly to notify everyone about the 10/6 meeting at the county but I will start here.

There are many other concerns that will be presented but their application states at first, a minimum of 50+ dump trucks per day on our local road ways delivering food waste. Once the dump is at full capacity the numbers shoots to over 150 trucks. PER DAY. That is based on the dump operating on half the farm. If they expand the operation, which they most likely will, those numbers could double. This is not hyperbole.
I can't stress enough the absolute importance of the community attending this meeting. We also know that our strength is in our numbers. We have a strong argument to present on the 6th but what will make our argument absolute is the presence of the community. How many of us? Everyone. Clear your calendar, start spreading the word and if you are able, please show up.

It is the last stand on 10/6.

Sep '22

The state created the issue by mandating composting..you have a tough fight on this one

Bug3
Sep '22

I'll say it for the 1000th time. It is not a dump. It is a food waste recycling center. The author above used the word dump 8 times with the intent to mislead and or alarm folks. It is disingenuous to call it a dump. Call it what it is. To me it sounds uneducated about the project when constantly calling it something it is not. For or against the project is irrelevant. My point is oppose it but use facts and proper terminology not some trigger word. The decision will be based on the facts of the project not emotion and alarmist statements.

Good luck to both sides.

Greg, do you live in Mansfield? Even more specifically, on/in any of the roads/neighborhoods surrounding it? Hazen, Watters, Blau, Rockport, Diamond Hill, etc?

Sep '22

The Warren Hills BOE is sending a letter to the governor and, I believe, county commissioners urging them to not go thru with this. The trucks along the Mansfield bus routes would be incredibly hazardous.
Once the minutes are posted from that meeting it would probably show the letter that will be sent.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '22

Did the PioCosta application discuss where these trucks are anticipated to come from? From the east through Hackettstown? From the west through Washington, etc etc??

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '22

JR I don't but as I have stated prior where I live is irrelevant. I'm simply stating that if folks want to oppose something, in this case a food waste recycling center, it seems to me that doing it in a correct and fair manner would be more impactful.

I received a very nasty direct message with the person using the definition of dump as the justification for calling this project a dump rather than what it is - a food waste recycling center.

See the definition below.

re·cy·cle
/rēˈsīk(ə)l/
verb
convert (waste) into reusable material.
"car hulks were recycled into new steel"

Since none of the material will ever stay on the site it is not a dump. It is a processing center that recycles food waste. In addition, the material coming in is a commodity not unwanted waste as the definition of dump indicated as the incoming material is being recycled and mixed with mulch to create a marketable product, in this case compost.

I really don't understand the hostility toward my comments both here and in direct messages. As I have said I am pointing out what I perceive as a flaw in the argument. I really could not care less if the project wins approval or does not. Completely irrelevant to me.

I don't live near this area, but I could be affected at some point because of the traffic or odors, etc. My only thought, or argument, against this is that I just don't think that it is located in a logical area. As I stated in an earlier post on here, these are rural, narrow, County and local roads, that will have to be maintained by County/local road departments and budgets. There is an underpass that blocks access from Hackettstown, a bridge over a railroad that blocks Allen Road, and narrow, twisting, hilly roads coming from Route 57. It just doesn't make sense to locate it out there.
There has to be property somewhere along a State highway. Someone mentioned the old EFR property just off Route 31 near Oxford. Have they considered that? And there is a landfill there already, if any disposal of product is required.
Is this the same Pio Costa who has property on Route 46 in Liberty Township? Has that area been considered? At least it's on a State highway.
It just isn't sensible to put it where they plan. Not logical, not sensible.

Sep '22

Greg, with all due respect, your opinion is irrelevant, as you won't be dealing with the repercussions of this. Your location indeed matters greatly. You are correct- it's not YOUR backyard.

I am not against the project, only it's location. They need to find a location that isn't anyone's "backyard"... much like the landfill in Oxford.

Have a nice day.

Sep '22

Greg - we’ll said! I guess the only way to stir up the fear in everyone is to refer to it as a dump. Fear mongering always plays a big role in the “NIMB” arena. Just look back at all of the traffic issues that were brought up about the new QuickChek location……none of which ever came to fruition!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Sep '22

I’m guessing the unstated complaint about “truck traffic” is the size (?) of the trucks.
I never hear complaints about the endless stream of delivery truck of all sizes and types that do THE SAME DAMAGE to our roads due to their higher volumes of trips.
To me, that argument is invalid.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

JR,

The problem is that wherever this facility goes, it will always be in someone’s back yard. Looking at an arial view of the Oxford dump, there are homes within 0.2 miles from the dump. I’m sure they consider that in their backyard. And I’m pretty sure when your house was built, someone said “do they have to build that in my back yard”.

Look, I get it, you don’t want this near you. Greg is right, though, argue facts (like the volume of trucks on the side roads), not calling the facility what it isn’t.

To FarmerJake, shouldn’t we have had about 4 or 5 fatal accidents from that Quick Check intersection by now?

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Sep '22

The problem is the zoning..if it gets denied by whatever board and since the zoning allows such uses( recycleing).. if the application gets denied the applicant will just sue and get iy approved anyway..better to just sell your house now and move away

Bug3
Sep '22

Jnnjr

Mansfield roads. Mansfield Property Taxes (plus of course state taxes). Mansfield (very possible) odors. Mansfield truck traffic. Not your backyard = not your concern.

Last I checked, elected officials are supposed to work for their constituents. If you do not vote in the Mansfield District, this is none of your concern. And if you do vote in the Mansfield district, you should make your voice heard, so that the elected officials will do what YOU want, since that is by definition THEIR JOB as representatives.

Sep '22

We wouldn't want a warehouse there either.

How about HOMES?

Sep '22

How about changing the zoning?

Bug3
Sep '22

JR,

Do you think those trucks magically show up in Mansfield? To say if it is not your back yard, your opinion is irrelevant is being completely short sighted and alienating people that can potentially be on your side.

Something tells me that if there was a proposal for a 100 unit low income housing complex on that site, you would be objecting as well.

Jnnjr Jnnjr
Sep '22

How about homes?
Common knowledge that residential development consumes more tax dollars than it generates.
Commercial, industrial, manufacturing generate more tax dollars WITHOUT the need for more classroom desks.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

It IS my backyard. I live in Diamond Hill. I can smell the cows on Hazen... I will be able to smell the food waste on Blau. Blau is the next road over from Hazen.

"Common knowledge that residential development consumes more tax dollars than it generates."

Is it now? I would love to see verification of your "knowledge", Stymie...

If you don't live here, bugger off. Frankly, it's none of your damn business.

Sep '22

Touch a nerve, Mr. know it all?
Get off your butt and do your own math.
BTW—correct- common knowledge.
Speak with the tax assessor if math isn’t in your wheelhouse.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

Physical building or impervious surfaces on this site would be limited as it is in the Highlands area. No where house or homes.

Lexi
Sep '22

FarmerJake

People keep bringing that up, as if it wasn't a valid point at the time. Let's not forget that it's extremely likely that those issues didn't appear ONLY because of the competition building in a more well-suited area, aka WAWA. Ever since that was built I've noted a significant reduction in the amount of people visiting QC.

Perhaps what I had heard would be a new Dunkin, at the old Tony's Luncheonette location, will reduce the present mess at the Mt. Ave. one, which would be a welcome development.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '22

lol that the Oxford dump is not in anyone's backyard. It's not in YOUR backyard and that's all you care about. Get over yourself.

A compost facility is not a dump. Build it, I say.

Jack B. NIMBY Jack B. NIMBY
Sep '22

So the issue here is the definition of dump vs recycling center? I really don’t see how that matters if the main problem for local residents is A. Truck traffic and B. The smell. Call it a dump. Call it a recycling center. What’s the difference if the locals have to deal with the fallout?

Consigliere
Sep '22

Exactly, Consigliere.

Sep '22

Maybe Mansfield Township should not have zoned the land industrial...they screwed themselves and maybe people need to do their due diligence before buying a home..too bad so sad

Bug3
Sep '22

Call it a dump. Call it a recycling center. What’s the difference if the locals have to deal with the fallout?"

I strongly disagree with that sentiment as that is exactly what is happening all across our society. The meanings and definitions of words are being flat out changed and or manipulated in order to fit an agenda, or the phenomenon of go "woke". It's wrong and a slippery slope that we will never be able to return from. In my opinion of course.

Call something what it is not what you want it to imply in order to have it fit better in any given narrative.

Disagree Greg. The FALLOUT is exactly what we do not want, just like those who are against coal-fired power, or nuclear power plants, or paper mills, or...or...or....

It doesn't matter one whit what it's called: the traffic and the smell are why many of us do not want it. Not because it's being called a "dump". Call it a "composting center" (which is what it ACTUALLY is), and I'm willing to bet 100% of the people who are against it still will be... IF they are informed of the "fallout."

Sep '22

What really DOES matter is if a composting facility is a conforming use on this particular lot and blocks.
If it is - to bad, so sad.
Should have checked the area zoning before you purchased.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

If a "composting facility" is defined as an agricultural use, I wonder if it would be protected under the "Right to Farm Act".

ianimal ianimal
Sep '22

The SWAC has reviewed the SWAC subcommittee report on the proposed composting facility and will have a recommendation to deliver at the meeting on Feb. 2 @ 7:30pm ( https://www.warrencountynj.gov/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/709/120?curm=2&cury=2023 )

I can't stress enough the absolute importance of the community attending this meeting. Everyone, clear your calendar, start spreading the word and if you are able, please show up.

Donald Proefrock Jr.
Jan '23

Here is the invite

https://facebook.com/events/s/warren-county-swac-meeting/3426845057527616/

Mansfield908 Mansfield908
Jan '23

Who would profit from the sale of this property?

Sharona Sharona
Feb '23

The owner of the property would profit. It is privately owned.

Any updates from last nights meeting?

T-rex
Feb '23

Yes. The SWAC passed a resolution recommending that the Vivaria Ecologics application not be included in the Warren County Solid Waste Management Plan.

It is up to the applicant if they would like to appeal the decision.

There was an update today:

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/2023/02/food-scrap-recycler-proposed-in-warren-county-is-rejected-by-advisory-council.html

We won round 1. Here's to hoping there won't be a round 2.

Feb '23

I just can't imagine that there are no locations on a highway that could be utilized. The article I read points out that the State is going to need facilities like this in the future, but I just want them to use some common sense in where they decide to put them.
Along with all the other valid reasons against this, sticking this out in a countryside location with narrow roads, virtually no direct access by trucks, a low underpass on one road, bridges over railroad tracks that trucks can't use, a road that has zero turning radius to get onto the only nearby highway, etc.
Again, not an ideal location. And yes, I realize that Borealis is already there. That's not an ideal location either, but can't do much to change that now.

Feb '23

The state does not decide where to place these coming facilities. This applicant just happened to already own this tract of land and is looking to enter into this industry.

There are locations all over the place a facility like this could be built. It all comes down to who owns the land and if they are interested in getting into this type of business. For example this applicant has significant real estate holdings, they could look at one of their other properties or simply look to purchase land for a project like this.

I didn't mean to imply that the State was involved in this site choice. I was referring to the article I read that the State may be requiring food refuse to be recycled soon, so there would be a need for opening these type of facilities eventually. My point is that common sense needs to be applied when deciding where to permit them. This site in Mansfield just doesn't make sense, other than the reasons Greg cited.

Feb '23

There is pending legislation that will have all sorts of new requirements related to food waste. As far as commonsense, that seems to be subjective! LOL.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Food Waste Recycling/Composting Facility near our town
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.