Call from Social Security Legal Department

Have been waiting to hear from my Dr. so when the phone rang just now I picked it up rather than looking to see if it was a phone number or name I recognized on the caller ID. The message was...Hello...I am calling from Social Security from the legal department and...........................I replied with "Baloney!!". I was told a long time ago Social Security will never call you on the telephone...Is it my imagination or are there more and more scammers out there especially now preying on the elderly than ever before?

joyful joyful
Jun '21

I don't know if it's more common, but for sure you're right about calls. Social Security isn't even the place it would come from, the IRS and Treasure Dept handle legal matters. 100% clear scam. No need to even speak to them. Just hang up.

Joyful... I got rid of my older model phone years ago just for the reason you stated.
I have been using a cell phone for a number of years now. This past year I only received one annoyance call but because you can see the name and number on a cell phone, I disconnected their phone call immediately without them getting a word in. They did not call back. My cell phone also tells me when it is a “spam call“ and what city it is coming from!

Spring fever Spring fever
Jun '21

Caller ID is available on land lines too.

I have caller ID on my phone and usually look at that first thing but as i stated....I was waiting patiently for the Dr. to call me back and just picked up without looking to see who was calling. I also have a cellphone but still like the idea of having a landline in our home. Just be careful, everyone...they can sound pretty convincing if they do get you on the line...

joyful joyful
Jun '21

Have fun with it.....waste their time for a few minutes with crazy info.....think of it as the time you spend on the phone is less time they are scamming someone else!

Amazon, Visa, SSN, whatever....bunch of scumbags!

MissingDiMieosPizza MissingDiMieosPizza
Jun '21

I usually make comments on their hygiene or things that they do with their own family members. Always good for a curse word or two..

One day my keys got locked in my car while it was running (long story as to why). My phone was in the car. A kind gentleman offered to let me use his phone to call for help. Because of that I always answer unknown numbers just in case it's someone needing help without access to their phone. If my daughter didn't answer because it was an unknown number, I would have been stuck. I do get a lot of solicitation/scammer calls, but I just hang up.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jun '21

I also have a landline & monitor all my calls with my Caller I.D. feature. I have to agree that there seems to have been quite an uptick in spam calls in the last few months. But I made the mistake of giving my number to Whirlpool a few weeks ago while ordering a filter on-line, and I started getting inundated with calls within a few days. I have been in the "No Call List" for years, but that doesn't seem to matter to them. They call anyway.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Jun '21

Joyful, I hope your doctor called you back with good news, and I hope you're well.

Years ago, I belonged to a group called 411Eaters, we'd post about scam emails and what to do about them. Some folks took it to extremes, such as sending the scammer to a location with a known webcam, and watching them waste their time standing on a street corner, LOL.

mattnyd mattnyd
Jun '21

If its a scam call and you're sure, scream "scam" as loud as you possibly can into the phone, and hopefully they'll never call back.

Mansfieldvillager Mansfieldvillager
Jun '21

again - I recommend nomorobo -- free for most landlines - look it up --
when that fails, I have the landline either picking up at 2nd ring or I unplug it since friends never all it --the quantity of junk calls we get daily is ridiculous -

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '21

Verizon doesn't support NoMoRobo.

Jun '21

Lonesome Dove - landline or cell? Verizon has a pretty good call filter - I use it on my cell

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '21

Landline. I don't use a cell phone.

Jun '21

"Verizon doesn't support NoMoRobo"

They've supported the cell side for awhile. Looks like they are covering FIOS now.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/homephone/calling-features/stop-unwanted-calls

stir and shakin Is coming…

Sacks cousin
Jun '21

I use Robokiller, it scams them back. :)

Sirya Sirya
Jun '21

Here's my favorite thing to do and it works well! Talk in a very low voice and keep saying "what I can't hear you" they'll eventually start getting louder , that's when you scream back into the phone,blow their ear drums out , it's fun , sometimes you need to let out a good scream followed by a laugh , they'll never call you again,

Donny Donny
Jun '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Call from Social Security Legal Department
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.