Shop local, save on property tax bill

Would appear a good idea for the town(s) to pursue.
https://www.nj.com/politics/2021/05/you-will-be-able-to-lower-your-property-taxes-when-you-shop-local-under-bill-signed-by-murphy.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '21

From the article:
"Businesses determine the size of the rewards. A website for Marlboro’s program indicates businesses have opted to offer rewards of 1% to 12%, with many offering an 8% credit. The businesses are responsible for paying the municipality the value of the property tax credits earned by shoppers."

So just shifting some of the tax burden to the small business by calling it a reduction for property owners. Ha!. Can this state get any more hostile for business?

Yea- that is dumb if that is how it 'works'. Pass the buck indeed.

Just more 'politics' and assuredly there is a backend cost to support and run this..so in reality the cost of government is only going up..

I wouldn't say it is hostile being that it is opt-in.. but just more stringing people along that don't know any better.

Not much different than people using their CC to get 'rewarded'- while not understanding those rewards come from the fees charged to the business..all while paying a hefty interest rate for those that carry a balance.

Actually quite a bit different...the business is forced to follow thise rules if they use credit cards...this program is a voluntary prigram to attract shoppers..businesses just include the benefit in the price of the item...just a government sponsored scam

Bug3
May '21

Uh, what?

Business 'volunteer' to accept credit cards just the same.

And business can raise the cost on items to 'absorb' any fees for both programs- if the market will bear it- but then both programs still get more money out of the business owner and the consumer.

What?.. you cant do business without a credit card..but the state program is just a gimmick to get people to shop in local stores..unless you buy a 1000 dollar item the tax rebate is pretty useless

Bug3
May '21

You must not know many businesses. Plenty of business are cash only.

You certainly CAN do business without accepting credit card.

There is no law requiring anyone to be forced to take credit.

Will you alienate some clientele? Sure- but some business owners chose to do that.

Just like some businesses don't take cash.

Freedom to choose...

Bug3
Hot Dog Johnny’s doesn’t take cards/cash only. I have to go down to the Quik Check and use the atm any time I go for hot dogs

MakoMiller1984 MakoMiller1984
May '21

Eventually the goal is to do away with cash, the government wants to track and tax everyone.

Zuckerberg and Facebook will be wanting you to use its Libra Coins. Unlike many of the other coins, it will be backed by a tiny bank in California- Silvergate- which has the important distinction of having Federal Reserve status.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '21

A bit more on the Zuck plan.
Read the details.

https://www.diem.com/en-us/economics-and-the-reserve/#the-libra-reserve-and-protections

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '21

Sub Shack
Cash Only
ATM in the store

Countryside
May '21

Yep dodge. All Crypto will be squashed and a centralized ledger(s) will track all. It will help in giving aid and control what people can buy with aid. Yes, the era of big brother is coming soon...

iJay

I'd say that the era of Big Brother already came to pass when the "1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act" was argued for by Janet Reno and the Clinton Administration. As I put it at the time 1984 happened, just 10 years after Orwell predicted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Assistance_for_Law_Enforcement_Act

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

Not as efficient as you would be lead to believe Phil. Getting all US transactions on a single ledger would be powerful for the government.

iJay

Of course private industry knows so much already, whether that be the "Consumer Preference" groups that collect all the info from people's "club", "discount" and "membership" cards, or the whole so-called "Credit" Industry. I'm sure that certain types and/or quantities of purchases are sent directly to the appropriate three-letter organization already.

I realize it's not as efficient now (yet) and it would be handier for them to track, but then it would also make it more obvious that's what they're doing. Banks are of course already trying to get you to use the "easy pay" methods, including with the new "Tap and Pay", rather than inserting a chip card (presumably so you don't forget the card, despite the warning gongs). Yes, use your phone to pay, like a mobile credit card and don't keep any of those cards on you either. "Convenience" in exchange for information.

Part of all this is to also encourage less human interaction and get those pesky cashier jobs gone to maximize profit in the name of convenience and less time spent in "idle" conversations so they can get your butt back out of their store. There's a whole complex of things going on, not all of them good.

Of course hackability also increases unless there are also safeguards. (Never mind the newer electronic car keys, that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

Another large question is, will this actually help get local people to "shop locally" if the carrot is dangled and will it be of real benefit? The Towns will have to set up a new department or add work to an existing department, that is, unless the tracking and administration is done at the State level, which adds more expenses at certain levels, increasing the tax burden to pay for administration and oversight of the programs.

I also wonder how "non-locals" are to get this "cash rebate" too, and how will this be tracked? If I present my "Hackettstown Tax Rewards Card" in Parsippany, Asbury Park, or where ever, they'll send me a cash rebate for shopping there? How, as a check or credit to an account on file... Now what about when out of Staters (aka tourists, or commuters) learn about this?

Their thoughts are going to be about how they aren't getting any rebate or discount for shopping with these merchants, that is unless the business collects their info and sends them a rebate, or gives them an equivalent "out-of state" discount at POS. This all seems to be a cute idea, but with many more repercussions than actual good. I'd want to see more on implementation and practice, even though since it's already been passed (political Capital..."look what I did" for property tax relief), the point is likely moot. Call me a pessimist, but I don't see as much promise of tax relief as this seems to hold.

Geez, what a wandering post on my part.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

On the Edge, as you started the conversation, what about the program do you think is a good idea? Who would benefit from the program?

Musicgal Musicgal
May '21

Further research seems to indicate Marlboro has gone pretty deep into thinking about this and what's involved in the program, see: http://marlboroedc.com/shop-marlboro-business/
Supporting local businesses and reducing my property taxes sounded like a good idea to me. Obviously, others think otherwise.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '21

Here is a hidden gem

80% of the rebate will be deposited in a dedicated account and ultimately remitted to Marlboro Township for the benefit of your customers’ property tax bill. The remaining 20% is held for program and management fee.

Bug3
May '21

"Supporting local businesses and reducing my property taxes sounded like a good idea to me. Obviously, others think otherwise."

you're right OnTheEdge, it "sounded" like a good idea. The problem is once Trenton gets involved most good ideas get ruined. Look at the Marlboro example.

1% of your purchase goes toward lowering your property taxes. So for every $100 you spend, $1 goes to lower your taxes. Then you read the fine print and see that out of that $1, 80cents actually goes to lowering your taxes and 20cents goes to fees. so how much would you have to spend to actually see an impact on your property bill? $1,000/mo shopping locally saves you $8 a month on your property taxes.

On top of that, small businesses each have to spend $10/month to be in this program and a 1-time fee of $220 for the machine. So tell me again who is benefiting from this, the resident, the small business? Or the merchant who is charging the small business yet another fee to run their business?

Jim L. Jim L.
May '21

If Shoprite Supermarkets and LIQUOR STORES participate— WE MAY HAVE SOMETHING HERE!

Stymie Stymie
May '21

Calling it 'lowering' your taxes is just as disingenuous as 'free' college.

More gov workload / projects = higher taxes overall.

All this program really is- is having your neighbor (local business owner) paying your 'saved' tax.

Government sure likes to grandstand, sell you falsehoods and then pat themselves on the back.

"If Shoprite Supermarkets and LIQUOR STORES participate— WE MAY HAVE SOMETHING HERE!"

yes, maybe we can get Walmart, Lowe's and Target to join too! yea I don't think that's the intention of "shop local".

Jim L. Jim L.
May '21

Thanks Jim
If it’s not at the spots where we spend hundreds of dollars a month what good is it?
Getting pennies from the locals?
Where I already shop?
At that point, not worth the paperwork.

Stymie Stymie
May '21

And that's the point some of us are trying to make. If the goal is to encourage "shop local" to save property taxes, but the "local" businesses have to pay a fee to be in the program and taxpayers only save pennies off their property taxes then what's the point and who is it really helping. It makes for a feel-good slogan but the execution makes it pointless.

Jim L. Jim L.
May '21

Or.. you know... the government could actually JUST LOWER the property taxes.

Crazy talk, isn't it?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '21

Mark- I’ll have what you’re having...

Stymie Stymie
May '21

They could just lower taxes a bit...trim a little fat from state workers entitlements (GOD FORBID)

Itiswhatitis
May '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Shop local, save on property tax bill
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.