Tom's Diner Ledgewood

Tom's Diner Ledgewood

Tom's diner in Ledgewood , NJ has been demolished. Sad to see this old diner torn down. Cindy Lauper filmed part of her " Time after Time" video there.

Zipp
Apr '21

While it is another slice of the past erased, I must say it had become really just a dilapidated eyesore over the last several years. Sure there was a small online group that tried to "save" it but that obviously never went anywhere. Cash is king in those endeavors.

I sure did enjoy the breakfasts there back in the day...

This thread from a few years back talks about the diner and the group trying to save it.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/537936#t642067

Also ZIpp there was a discussion here on HL years ago about where that video was actually filmed. One person insisted it was there while another eyewitness stated it was shot at the a diner further down the road on RT46 in Kenvil. I don't recall if that was settled! LOL

It's definitely Tom's diner in Ledgewood. Look at the video - about 1:42 in particular.
Compare it to the photo below. Same red and white diamond patterned glass windows up top, same curved handrail on the left side of the screen, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQY7BusJNU

https://michaelkleen.com/2019/05/07/toms-diner-in-ledgewood-new-jersey/

LibertarianismRules LibertarianismRules
Apr '21

I agree with you LR- I was friendly with Bob the owner of the Amaco station next door.(Circle American). He always stated the same thing.

I think John C. was in the discussion years back here on HL.

Cool articles and photos.

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Apr '21

Chatterbox is being torn down also.

They are supposed to build a Wawa where the Chatterbox is, but that was known before the even closed.

Mel81 Mel81
Apr '21

I went to school with the owners son, Cyndi Lauper video was filmed there. It was a big deal back in the day. Sad to see it go, but it has been closed a long time and just falling apart.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '21

The chatter box is turning into a wawa???????? That’s really sad. Not so much for the building itself, although it was pretty neat, but I will really miss the car shows there. I’m a car freak and there seem to be less and less places to enjoy the hobby with likeminded people these days.

Consigliere
Apr '21

It's the reason Americans travel to Europe, to see history. America tears down it's iconic landmarks, one after another, for profit and money.

Then replaces them with petrol stations, doctors offices, and CVS/Walgreen drug stores.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '21

Sad, but it was dilapidated for a very long time. "Losing" it wasn't the heartbreak that the Lockwood Tavern was... that was a popular, functioning, "member" of the community. To replace it with a CVS was a travesty, imo.

But I agree- America is really big on "progress" and forgetting history. (or re-writing it, but's for another thread that wouldn't be allowed here LOL)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '21

and taking away Governor's Inn for a Quick Check was crazy.

Is The Final Exam in Randolph (Sussex Turnpike) is there? What is it now?

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '21

Change is hard(on me anyway). I downed quite a few breakfasts there with what I assumed was a hard working husband and wife team. You'd see the individual patrons and the dad's with their kids on a Saturday. We'll have the memories.

We need more CVS's and Quick Cheks, Not!

NJ needs to keep its diners.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Tom's Diner Ledgewood
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.