Municipal parking lot fence damage

Municipal parking lot fence damage

The Main Street municipal parking lot runs parallel to my house. For a third time someone has jumped the abutment to a parking space... and this time the damage was big... big enough to leave a gaping hole in the fence with the fence lying in my yard. This fence has become a political football... with no one wanting to take responsibility for the repair. As a result my dog can no longer roam in the yard unprotected... as he can stroll right thru... I’ve bordered the damage 2 times on my own but this time I’ve had it. Who Is Going To Repair This Fence!!!

Shaddog Shaddog
Mar '21

Bummer. The person responsible to repair the fence was the person who damaged. Clearly that crumb left the scene. Is the fence owned by you? If so unfortunately I would guess you will need to have it fixed. If it is a town owned fence then they will need to take care of it. Either way you and your dog are the inconvenienced ones. Stinks for sure.

As an aside, at least it looks to be an easy repair...

Is it your fence, or the municipalities?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '21

Contact your insurance first to handle it with the town. Then, if you need to, get a lawyer to write a letter to the town. You might make a case that the abutment is not properly placed, or is an insufficient height. Make sure your fence had proper permuts!

maja2 maja2
Mar '21

Sorry to hear that. For the future, wifi based cameras today are cheap. Put up a couple cameras that will cover the lot and turn in the jerks.

The fence was erected for the municipal parking lot before I moved here. It is not my fence. Parking Authority says it’s not theirs ... town says they just rent the parking lot. Either way I’m screwed. I’ve tried to repair it... it’s not an easy repair. The slats just don’t snap together. I’m not looking for retribution I just want it fixed... I’m a renter... but it’s ironic how my landlord was ordered to cut the trees down in our yard that grew over the lot... but the fence gets no attention.

shaddog shaddog
Mar '21

The only thing your owed is removal of the fence on ur property. Good luck.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '21

Can you afford to buy some chicken wire (lumber yard on Liberty Street might have it) and staple gun or nail it up on your side? That would at least keep the dog from getting out. Have you mentioned this to your landlord? Maybe he has insurance that would pay for a repair.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Mar '21

Why would he have insurance for a fence that doesn't belong to him?

I saw earlier you covered it from your side. At least you can let the dog out for now.

"Why would he have insurance for a fence that doesn't belong to him?"

I guess the same reason they're relying on the fence that doesn't belong to them to contain their dog.

"Why would he have insurance for a fence that doesn't belong to him?"

He didn't originally state that the fence wasn't his. Nor the property.

maja2 maja2
Mar '21

I realize the man posting this is a tenant, so I wasn't suggesting he has insurance. Someone owns the fence. At least, someone installed that fence. It looks like a nice one. Perhaps the landlord put it up before this tenant moved in. It was just a thought that perhaps the landlord knows whose fence it is, and if he did put it up, then maybe insurance would help. It really looks like there is no answer to this, since no one is willing to "claim" this fence. But I would think it's not a tenant's responsibility. Call the landlord.

Mar '21

If the point is being able to let your dogs enjoy the backyard, I would suggest a chicken wire patch .
Cheap, immediate, and flexible. A do it yourself fix.
No one wants to take responsibility and times a wastin’.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

I'm for the camera....are there any other business around there that already have a camera up, that could have caught the person who did it?

Call me crazy, but that seems a little "too blown out" to be from a car...I mean how fast was someone parking their car?!

DancerLife
Mar '21

He didn't originally state that the fence wasn't his. Nor the property."

Second sentence of their second post states it. Eighth sentence says they are a renter.

maja2 commented prior to the OP's second post...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

Frankly, the town (or whoever owns the property) doesn't have to put a fence there. If it's damaged, they don't have to pay to replace the slats if they don't want to. They should, however, pay to remove any debris that fell on your landlord's property, but that's about it. They don't owe you free fencing for your dog. Your landlord can put his own fence up at the border of his property, if he wants to, but you are not entitled to use their fence for free and demand they fix it so you can use it.

LibertarianismRules LibertarianismRules
Mar '21

Sounds like a $5 leash would solve the whole problem.

Not the hole problem

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '21

Funny Roy...

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Roy made me laugh!!

Ok i am not a lawyer here so please dont attack! Lol.

But it seems to me that whosever property it is on owns it. Why does it matter who built it? When i buy a property, dont I own everything on it? Doesnt matter if a previous owner put it there. It either is owned by the op's LL or the parking lot owner. Now if it is on the border I dont know how you decide who owns it but this must happen alot so someone knows that answer.

Scott Scott
Mar '21

It is very easy... pay a fee to look up the appropriate tax map to identify the actual property owner, get a land survey to confirm the fence is installed (to code) on their side of the property line, hire a lawyer to enforce a fence repair (and lose your case)...

or, get a piece of scrap plywood to lean up against the hole to prevent Fido from escaping. Since they seem so disinterested in maintaining their own fence, I bet they don’t even care if you zip in a few deck screws to keep the wood in place.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '21

Re: Municipal parking lot fence damage

I can’t find any actual property cards online (may have to go to the clerk’s office for that) but according to this map, last dated in 2003 the town did own that lot.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '21

Yep find some scrap and put it up. Eventually the town will fix it if you stay long enough...

LOL I wish that were true, IJay. I have about 280 feet of town owned fence along my property. It has needed replacement for 25 of the nearly 30 years I have lived with it. As a result of its age and various damage events over the years it has long exceeded it's useful life. I, at my expense, have replaced about half of it over the years. Unfortunately if I waited for the town to take the initiative I'd be out of luck. With that said I also have never made a full court press to have it all replaced. Yet that is....

"But it seems to me that whosever property it is on owns it. Why does it matter who built it? When i buy a property, dont I own everything on it? "

Nope. I bought my house- about a month later I got a bill from Surbuban propane for $4,000.

Called them up- said I didn't order propane- they said they refunded the prior owner and now I need to pay it.

I said no way. They said if I didn't pay- they would come dig out the tank- and I would have to pay the excavation and removal cost as well.

To this day- I pay a stupid tank rental fee for something I didn't buy, was here when I bought the place. Robbery.

Josh, your lawyer for the closing was of no assistance?

I think they were bluffing. They didn't have your signature on any contract documents.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

I went through the same thing with my buried tank. Turns out there is actually an easement on the deed! So, they weren’t bluffing. After many phone calls complaining I got them to remove the monthly rental fee......it has saved me thousands over the years (but I doubt Suburban would do that!)

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Mar '21

I have no doubt that there is an easement that allows them access to their tank. I just can't believe that the homeowner is responsible for the cost of them removing their tank. At the very least, it should have shown up in the title work during the attorney's due diligence. Sounds like he blew it big time...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

I thought buried tanks were illegal

Bug3
Mar '21

They are discussing propane tanks. They are legal.

I think the solution in the future may be to install sturdy concrete posts (like the ones in front of Wawa's) so that these bad drivers cannot in the future hit the fence but instead will end up damaging their own property (vehicles) instead. Doesn't homeowners insurance cover this sort of thing? Or if renting maybe the landlord carries coverage for own property?
Just a thought. Hope this may help Shaddog. I feel for you.

I stopped by to see the damage to the fence today....

I was happy to spend 15 minutes there and repair it for you, Shaddog. Hopefully your pooch can enjoy his yard again! I wanted to stop over a couple of days ago to see what I can do but I just simply didn't have the time until today.

You are correct that fence is no stranger to people using it as the stopping point when parking! LOL A discussion should be had with the parking authority about installing curb stops. There are none there and the curb that is there is only a foot away from the fence at best.

Greg ~ what a nice thing for you to do.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '21

Absolutely. How nice. Really made me smile. Thank you.

Apr '21

Nice job, Greg... way to lend a hand.

But I'm not sure what good a curb stop is going to do. Will shutting off his water stop cars from crashing into the fence? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '21

LOL! I couldn't think of the proper name of those cement automobile lower lip destroyers!

Parking stop I gather?

Typically "wheel stops" (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '21

I've always called those parking blocks.

Nice job. Kudos.

Thats was all, bend the slats back into the groove? That side of the fence is a lot too, how does the dog stay in there?

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '21

The bottom rail was broken out of the post. So I kept the bottom rail out slid all of the panel slats back in then aligned the lower rail back in place. I then attached a PVC cleat to hold the rail up in place. A couple of "L" brackets so it doesn't move back and forth and it's good as new.

Greg - I'll be the first to offer you a 6-pack of the beer of your choice!

So nice of you Greg. We're lucky to live in an area where folks help each other when they see a need and are able. Thank you.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Apr '21

Nice Greg!!

maja2 maja2
Apr '21

Regarding the fence... wow!! What a thread !! So many opinions... and a lot of suggestions... all appreciated! Update... got home from work Friday nite and came home to a repaired fence!!! There is no doubt in my mind this thread had something to do with resolving the situation. I only wanted to have the situation resolved...at no cost to me or my landlord... neither of whom own the fence Someone obviously stepped up... and made this community member happy...

shaddog shaddog
Apr '21

@ Shaddog...The man who repaired your fence did that out of the goodness of his heart because you had a definite problem. Most of us that know him know that he is the type person he is...very giving and kind and always willing to help another in need........He did not know you...only your situation and that he wanted to help. If you want to thank him....click on the envelope by his name ..Greg...and that will allow you to thank him in person.... Glad your fence is repaired..

joyful joyful
Apr '21

Greg... thank you so much for taking the time to repair the Fence!!! I appreciate the generosity of your time and gesture.. please don’t hesitate to stop by and allow me to personally thank you!!!! And perhaps tip a cold one with me to show my appreciation!!!

shaddog shaddog
Apr '21

Sent a message to Greg joyful!! Thanks for the tip!! A great gesture indeed!!!

shaddog shaddog
Apr '21

What a wonderful gesture Greg!!!

Greg, How generous and thoughtful of you to fix Shaddog's fence!! i would have been floored to come home to see that fence fixed.

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Apr '21

You are welcome, Shaddog! I did get your message as well. I will certainly take you up on the offer!

Such kind words folks. Thank you. I'm humbled... I feel if we all simply perform some sort of good act and be kind toward others whenever we can, it will help make the bigger picture just a bit more pleasant for all of us.

So all the other threads relating to this are either too old and got closed or got shut down due to comments, so I guess I will post here.

The Parking Authority is looking for 2 more Board Members. Meetings are once a month on the First Monday of each month.

Must be a Hackettstown resident or business owner to be on the board. if interested in volunteering, please email jlambo@hackettstown.net and mayor@hackettstown.net.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.