Comcast

We have the triple play package and pay $250.00 per month for a phone that we don't use and WiFi and tv which we maybe watch twenty channels regularly. Now they want to sell us upgraded channels of the channels we already pay for like AMC+ and all the other plus channels for $5.99 per month each so our bill will double. Are we being duped?

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Mar '21

Drop the cable service and go with Internet only. COMCAST Blast Internet can be as low as $80 per month with good download speed. Get a ROKU or some other streaming device. Many streaming channels with programming for free. For your phone, you can either get a prepaid cell phone or track phone at low cost if you are not using it much. Good luck!

You’re not being duped just don’t get/buy any more channels

Had Enough Had Enough
Mar '21

Call them and find out what you can cancel to bring the bill down like the phone , HBO and other premium channels . Any extra cable boxes are an uneeded expense also . A new Roku stick will cost you 25 bucks on sale on amazon and by downloading the Xfinity stream app the stick will function like a cable box to any tv it's hooked up to . For that matter any computer , tablet or phone in your house will function like a tv with the streaming app . Buying your own modem and router will knock off another 14 bucks a month instead of renting theirs . Or just get the internet and a streaming service like many people do these days . Do nothing and it will keep going up .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Mar '21

Duped isn't the right way to put it. Selling those new services might be over selling, but that's nothing new. You just say no to stuff you don't need. But you're also over buying if you know you don't need the phone. You can instantly call and change the plan to double play instead of triple play.

What else makes sense depends a lot on what specific 20 channels you watch. If they're mostly broadcast you may be able to get away with just limited basic and the internet. That would be a huge drop in cost. But if some of the channels are sports then you have to have the whole channel range to get those few sports outlets. In that case double play is the best bet. If there's only one or two channels in the highest tier, you have to decide how much those mean to you. If could be a big difference in price.

From what I've seen full triple pay is still under $250 so you probably have a Homebox or other premium extra. Consider dropping that for another instant drop in price.

In the last 2 years they took away Starz and Cinemax from my plan yet I pay the same. What a joke...

Metsman Metsman
Mar '21

97xbam-
I am searching my roku apps and the only xfinity app that i see is for xfinity beta and it states that cable or satellite service is required.
Am i missing something? Can you clarify how to get xfinity thru roku? TIA

Susan2
Mar '21

You use the roku instead of the cable box..you still need to subscribe..just no convertor box fee...save $10 or so

Bug3
Mar '21

I was able to drop a few services and a tv box and I got my bill down from $200 to $146

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Mar '21

No matter what you do they figure a way to still charge you $200 a month. I own all my equipment only have the triple play no premium channels and with taxes $202 a month.

Steve Steve
Mar '21

If you do call Xfinity, sometimes you need to hangup and call again to end up getting a better price or result. It's all hit or miss and seems like paying for cable is almost like playing a game to hunt around for the best package deal.

XfinityUser
Mar '21

That is true , I had Century Link phone /internet before Comcast and they raised their price about 3 times a year and refused to deal. I couldn't get a new discounted deal for anything in July 2019 from Xfinity , but once the month changed to August all of a sudden a package was offered that wasn't the previous month .

Their phone service is underrated IMO . They just added a new feature that puts a v (looks more like a check mark) in the upper left corner of caller ID that means verified calls . I was getting spammer calls from something called Area283 with a 908 area code that got by nomorobo . Looked at my caller logs today on the Xfinity email site and that scammer tried calling yesterday morning and was blocked .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Mar '21

Roku. Get a Roku.

If you need help setting it up (though it’s actually pretty simple) create another thread on this forum and there will be plenty of ‘Lifers that would be happy to talk you through it. Good Luck!!! F*ck Comcast!
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x46kyv6

Consigliere
Mar '21

If you want to keep Comcast call the C/S # and ask to speak with the retention dept.
They can help switching you over to promos.
If this does not work just file an FCC complaint with the state of NJ with an online form and believe me someone from Comcast will at the ready in no time!

Adair J Moore Sattel Adair J Moore Sattel
Mar '21

Comast themselves told me when I called to complain about my tripleplay bill, that I should call literally every 3 months and try to be put on the most current "special". Of course, that means you have to be on a "special promotion" that does not have a lifespan and can be gotten out of.

I have used this and keep the rather unwieldy bill "down" to $175 for TriplePlay. I am still not happy with that and will be calling in a month or so. I own my own cable modem, so that saves me money. Really, to split apart my services, have a house phone(I dont like relying on just cell phone), and internet and TV, costs about the same, the savings I get is not worth the aggravation

However, I do see the day that I will just not be able to get a good enough promo and once my bill goes above $200 consistently, that is when I will say goodbye.

(and, I have zero movie channels, HBO, etc, but I do have sports channels, like MLB Network and YES, so I can watch enough of what I want without having to subscribe to more costly packages)

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Mar '21

RA - drop triple play not worth it - who needs a home phone with everyone having cell phones

Mar '21

Personal choice, when your cell phone breaks, or your reception in your house for your cell is lousy (as it is in parts of Warren County), doesn't it make sense to have a back up system?

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Mar '21

Another option for a free phone is google voice + an obi box. Just pay for the obi which is $40 on Amazon and all calls are free. Just an option. Quality is fine but no 911.

Sacks cousin
Mar '21

For the past several days when I scroll the menu to see what's on that evening, many of them say "to be announced" Normally this only happens when the power has gone out. Is anyone else experiencing this?

happiest girl
Apr '21

I see that starting next week, Xfinity plans to move Cartoon Network to a higher tier but we can keep it for another $10 a month. I dislike that they slap a regional sports fee on the Bill every month though we never watch any of those channels.

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '21

"For the past several days when I scroll the menu to see what's on that evening, many of them say "to be announced" Normally this only happens when the power has gone out. Is anyone else experiencing this?"

I'm also getting the TBA in the DVR menu quite a bit lately . I use an online guide(link below-set your location by zip code)that has most of the Port Murray Comcast channels when this happens . If I want to record something that is labeled "to be announced" I just highlight it then hit the record button and set the start time/stop time and channel then confirm .Hope this helps .

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings

97XBAM 97XBAM
Apr '21

I would get you box replaced

Apr '21

Replace the box for a temporary guide loss caused by power/cable/update outage ? The guide always comes back and with 17 movies , the complete Yellowstone series , last 5 GoT episodes , and more in that DVR taking up only 31%of the hard drive no way is that box going back ! Had a X1 box 4 years ago and it was pathetic . Hopefully when this box craps out something will be available better than that POS !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Apr '21

Also still getting TBA on guide. Has anyone been able to fix this? Comcast no help, as usual.

Buy a roku and use the xfinity app..same features..no issues

Bug3
Apr '21

97XBAM -
Thanks for the website! Awesome!

happiest girl
Apr '21

hg-Yeah that site is okay although it doesn't have 238(Decades Channel) listed or the Epix SP(Screen Pix)channels that replaced Starz on my plan and possibly more recent changes .It's cool that they give a description of each episode and say if it is a new one .Big Sky returns Tuesday on ABC at 9-11pm with new episodes and I would hate to miss that .

B3- Funny you should say that because I updated my Roku Express to a newer Premeire for 25 bucks in March to get Peacock Premium free from Comcast(another thing the old box/Roku stick can't do)and have discovered Parks and Rec , revisited Mr. Mercedes , and will probably re-watch Cheers after all these years. I finally got around to watching Cobra Kai last week on Netflix and it's a good 80s themed time trip and continuation of those Karate Kid movies as those have said on the Binge thread .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Apr '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Comcast
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.