Price for basic tire rotation

Hey all,

I do the maintenance on my wife’s 2019 Honda passport and it’s due for a tire rotation. Having only one Jack and no Jack stands, I’d have to Jack it up a corner at a time and use the donut to hold the car up while I rotate. Pain in the butt but doable. Was wondering what a 4 wheel rotation would cost. $30? $40? I just called HDT twice but no answer. If it’s anymore than $40 I’d just do it myself. Thoughts?

Consigliere
Mar '21

Usually between $20-$40 depending where u go.

Quality Tire down in Ledgewood was $15 for a car and $20 for SUV last time I went.

Great Meadows Great Meadows
Mar '21

That’s what I was assuming, JLor. I wrote the OP at work and forgot to call them back. Now it’s after 5 so I’ll have to find out tomorrow.the suspense is killing me! Haha

Consigliere
Mar '21

Walmart in Mt. Olive does it for $2.50 per tire. The car dealership I use gets $40 for four.

maja2 maja2
Mar '21

How can anyone charge $2.50 a tire... rotate by the nature of the word dictates more than one tire.

And many modern tires are directional- so you can only do front / rear swap. Not side to side.

So almost any rotation would be all or none as you would do both sides at the same time as long as everything is not out of wack.

I don't know what a shop charges- but I know what my time is worth- and a shop has to cover overhead of rent / insurance / equipment / tech wage. I'd be *very* surprised if a shop charged less than $40 + tax given that an hourly repair rate is much more than that...and tying up a lift is tying up a lift.

I'd be wary- are they the shop that just blasts the tire on and off with an air gun- instead of using a tq wrench?

That being said- although a PITA, you said you can do it yourself.. so how much time does it take you to drive to a shop, wait, and drive home?

Enough that you would do that rather than crack a beer in the garage, turn on some tunes, and earn your man card?

Go buy some jack stands. :P

You forget that Walmart engages in corporate welfare, whereby you and I subsidize their workers living wage so that they can offer tire rotation at $2.50 per tire...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

Use air gun and torque stick.

Soup Nazi Soup Nazi
Mar '21

I just had a tire rotation done at Johnson Doge yesterday and it was $25.99 ..

Havaclue 17 Havaclue 17
Mar '21

Pretty sure mavis has a permanent coupon for free rotation. I've had mine done there once or twice. They'll try to upsell you on stuff but I don't blame em. You can just say no to it all and be on your way.

https://www.mavistire.com/tire-rotation/

hiker hiker
Mar '21

FREE rotations for the life of the tire at Costco. So long as you purchased the tires from them.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Mar '21

Just had it done Honda of Hackettstown it was only $19.90

HTown mama HTown mama
Mar '21

Save the money, you know it is done right when you do it yourself. I use old style tools, cross style lug wrench and a dose of knowing what too loose is vs too tight when you put the lugs back on and snug them up.

It also gets the spare out of the trunk at least once a year to make sure it still has air in it. Rotating the tires carefully jacking up on the recommended jack points for your car and using a known reliable jack, there is no need for a jack stand.

You aren't getting underneath the car. If you aren't comfortable doing it with a reliable jack and no jack stands(using the jack on the proper jack points of the car), you probably should not be doing the job to begin with. (Note- if you are leaving the car with the tire off for more than the time it takes to reinstall the tire, then YES, I would recommend a jack stand for any extended time that the car sits on a jack, say overnight for example) ((And a second note- I never lay underneath a car doing any work without jackstand or at least two points of failure to protect me, so anything that involves you UNDER the vehicle, absolutely use jack stands))

I got my last set of tires at Costco and would NOT want them touching my car for anything other than installing the tires. I checked that they tightened the lugs properly after I left, I would rather trust myself for things I can control, like lug tightness and remembering to tighten them.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Mar '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Price for basic tire rotation
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.