Belvidere St. Patrick's Day Parade

Just saw on Facebook that the town of Belvidere is planning a St. Patrick's Day Parade to be held on Saturday, March 13th at 2:30 P.M. on Greenwich and Oxford Streets in Belvidere, New Jersey. The contact person is Nicole Connolly at 908-797-1879 for information for those that would like to participate in the parade...
Was very surprised to see this and a bit jealous that they are planning a St. Patrick's Day Parade and Hackettstown is not this year. It was also noted in the ad that masks and social distancing is expected...

joyful joyful
Feb '21

Good to hear!

I really hoped Hackettstown would have gone ahead with the parade this year. Really no reason not to. Oh well maybe next year.

No reason not to... other than parades are not technically in the executive order

“ Outdoor Gatherings
General outdoor gatherings must be limited to 25 people and social distancing must be practiced.
There is no limit for outdoor gatherings for wedding ceremonies, funerals, memorial services, religious activities, or political activities.”

Not sure a St Patrick’s Day parade falls in the second category. Would be hard for Hackettstown to get a permit to close down a state highway to hold a parade during the current executive order.

Jim L Jim L
Feb '21

Remember....Belvidere OPENED and successfully had their community pool open ALL summer when Hackettstown would NOT even attempt to open the pool complex here. Claim was it "was too much work due to COVID". Hmmm???

Mount Olive also opened their community pool last summer and it was a success and much appreciated ALL summer!!

Just sayin'.....

SS2cats SS2cats
Feb '21

Also....there is NO rule that the parade HAS to be held on state streets/highway. It could be rerouted through town on town streets. Hackettstown needs to "think outside the box" during these times. Parade would have brought folks to the downtown area + assist many of the struggling restaurants/businesses.

SS2cats SS2cats
Feb '21

I think I will skip man’s law and go with Fauci and the CDC.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '21

I missed Christmas with my family for the cause. I think I can live without a parade for one more year if it means that we will get back to normal sooner and save lives. It’s all a shame but our ancestors went through much worse.

I’m part Irish and I’m with you Res. My ancestors sacrificed far more to get here, far more once here, and they had no parade in those early years post the Civil War.

One more for the cause and we’ll party mid to late summer.

Mar '21

I agree, Strangerdanger....I am also Irish and would love nothing better than to have another parade on St. Patrick's Day in our town to celebrate. However, i also remember the crowds of people this particular parade attracted and it was wall to wall people all the way down Main Street. How do you social distance under those circumstances? or stay safe??? You don't!!! The BIDs made the right decision for all of us not to hold the parade in our town this year.

joyful joyful
Mar '21

And you do have to adhere to the outdoor gathering limits, which at most in the last year was 500. I believe it is at 25 currently. Tough to have a parade with those limits.

Richie
Mar '21

Glad to hear this. Belvidere, here we come!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '21

With all due respect to Belvedere it looks to be a very small parade and I don’t know how many bands/ participates they are going to have. Best of luck on their first annual parade. Parades take a lot of time to plan and cost a lot of money. They aren’t easy to plan during normal years. Can’t imagine trying to start a brand new one during a pandemic. Hats off for them trying but every other major St Patrick’s parade in NJ seems to have canceled for a reason.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '21

I thought i saw a sign on Rt. 46 near the busy intersection of Rt. 57/Rt. 46 about something going on for a few days for St. Patrick's Day (near that CBT shop).

Is something going on mid-March in Hackettstown for St. Patty's Day?

Hackresident Hackresident
Mar '21

St. Patrick’s Weekend!
The St. Patrick’s Day Parade has been cancelled but that does not mean Hackettstown will be quiet that weekend. The BID is planning to move forward with some safe and fun events for families to enjoy throughout St. Patrick’s Day weekend, March 13 & 14, 2021, with some events happening on Thursday, March 11 and Friday, March 12.

This St. Patrick’s event will bring folks to town in a safe way while offering a chance to enjoy the tastes of our restaurants and breweries with themed fare- and indulge in the great shops of Hackettstown for St. Patrick themed specials.

We will be offering a family friendly Scavenger Hunt with a St. Patrick’s Day theme which will bring the participants into different businesses throughout our district (and hopefully SHOP while visiting).

Individual bagpipers will walk down Main Street. Businesses may add their own entertainment as well.

Please abide by the current Covid regulations. Visitors will wear masks and stay six feet apart from other groups.

Any of the above information is subject to be changed or the event outline can be decreased based on any further Covid restrictions detailed by the state or town.

https://hackettstownbid.com/2021/02/st-patricks-weekend/

Jim L Jim L
Mar '21

^^^^

I believe sscats this is what would be considered "thinking outside the box during these times"

Jim L Jim L
Mar '21

I agree with Jim L........Towns that do not follow the Governor's EO's can face repercussions from his office and I personally don't think that is a good idea.

Richie
Mar '21

Yes. Extremely dangerous being outside.

Philliesman Philliesman
Mar '21

"Yes. Extremely dangerous being outside."

I agree....if you believe the sky is falling! LMAO!

The fear should be in “sharing the air” meaning alone is safer than groups, outside safer than inside.

Inside, together, not too safe. Being outside, apart, is safe; being outside, distanced, masked, pretty safe. Being close together, not so much so.

Sky falling potential? Check for United flights in the area or brick buildings close by.

Mar '21

Sound's like a fun time, Belvidere. I'll be there!

Angela Angela
Mar '21

I just spoke with Nicole, and they are indeed having the parade. 15 bands will be performing so far and they are looking for more to participate. People will not be lingering around at the end due to the covid. The parade will start and end at the Courthouse. Uncle Bucks may be having a corned beef and cabbage dinner.

Angela Angela
Mar '21

Excellent. I’m going

Philliesman Philliesman
Mar '21

Probably not the best timing given the Warren County holiday surge continues for 4 months and is currently trending up and will continue to do so. Both cases and infection rate continue upwards as of 3/3. 39 cases/100k and a 1.09 infection rate for Warren County.

Hopefully we will be trending downwards by the 13th but we will still be in Active Outbreak status, pretty sure of that.

Good thing it’s outdoors, be careful out there

Mar '21

Masks outdoors? No, thanks.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '21

And that’s one reason our cases and infection rate rise.

The guidance is “all public settings.” But you knew that; it’s only been a year.

Mar '21

Mask laws are the outcome of allowing a government to dictate what we can and can't wear on our own bodies. That includes clothing.

LibertarianismRules LibertarianismRules
Mar '21

Stranger
I think you need to look at hospitalizations
Every statistic the governor provides shows an improving picture with covid fading away

Bug3
Mar '21

Really.....after a year, 500,000 dead, still having 2,000 dead a day, we have the worst record of ANY developed nation and most of the third world, and you’re arguing personal freedom?

How about plain ole common sense. As plain as the nose on your face. Which better be covered when in public.

Yeah, as Fauci says, all stats improving, and yet still terrible. It’s just that when you’re totally out of control, being totalky messed up looks like improvement.

This ain’t rocket science; it ain’t opinion or point of view. The virus acts one way. We seem to choose a variety of silly actions for all sorts of silly reasons. Personal freedom, privacy, disbelief, disdain, even political which seems a real stretch. Our own ICU is at 65%; it should be at 30% even for covid which makes ICU work twice as hard. Today. That’s not better than the summer. And while it’s manageable; a simple donning of the mask would reduce it measurably.

Mar '21

If I’m still still alive, haven’t contracted a severe case, haven’t risked passing it on to a more vulnerable party and don’t have lingering effects associated contracting a serious case, I can deal with looking silly.
I have a close friend that poo poo’d the threat.
Entire family contracted it- wife serious- mother in law now on palliative care.
I’ve come too far to blow it at this point.
I’ll stay on the suggested program and look forward to a near normal Thanksgiving (hopefully).

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Just asking how many people had the flu this year ????? I haven’t heard of anyone so I guess as bad as COVID is it at least cured the flu.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Mar '21

2020-2021 influenza season concludes the first week of April, but illogical to think there were no cases.
I expect that these figures will come in on the lower side since precautions guarding against common flu mirror those of preventing Covid.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

I would like to clarify that we are abiding by COVID regulations. Our participants will be wearing masks, distancing and wearing gloves. All spectators are to stay 6ft from non household members. Our community is small it is nothing compared to what Hackettstown would be having. We do not have 15 bands. The parade is not on Greenwich St. and Uncle Bucks will not be staying open for food. We intended the parade to be for the kids that have asked for it. We are a small community with a small parade in hopes for a bigger one next year. We will not be having outside fire companies or bins in this parade. We are hoping next year will be different. I am sorry if anyone got the wrong impression about this being a large parade with a lot if spectators.

Thank you.
Any other questions feel free to contact me.

Nicole Nicole
Mar '21

Well know I’m dying to know who Angela supposedly spoke to lol.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '21

Another day on HL!! LOL!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '21

The problem is that it is being advertised and with so many of the normal local parades being smart and cancelling, you will get large numbers of idiots from out of town.

Do we need a reminder of Candy Cane Lane?
At least that was a socially distant disaster. This just sounds irresponsible.

Seenit
Mar '21

Spoke with the above, Nicole. I was told "15 participants"...not bands. Sorry 'bout that. Uncle Bucks may be having corned beef and cabbage. She just added info that I didn't offer. She is the organizer and she made the effort to add on.

Angela Angela
Mar '21

I heard that Mr. Belvedere is going to be the Grand Marshal and that Bob Eucker will be making an appearance as well... in the front row.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

15 participants is much different than 15 bands. So an extremely small parade.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '21

Keep in mind the mess that Hackettstown had with the Christmas drive through and hope it doesn't happen in Belvidere.

Jim- I understand the town had no other recourse due to the executive orders spewing from Trenton. My comment meant there is no reason why folks can attend an event outdoors in my opinion. People should simply have the choice to participate, attend or not. Wear a mask if that makes one feel safer outside. If folks don't feel it's for them they can choose not to attend and stay home. (Remember free will?) Perhaps folks would rather stay home and continue to doomscroll the internet for all of the latest "Covid is going to kill you" statistics then regurgitate them elsewhere online. You know the daily death counts, transfer rates, the "new normal" mantra etc. It never ends. For example, we have a vaccine were saved! Oh wait a variant- were all going to all die again. Lets not even discuss the incredibly biased closings and or capacity limits placed on businesses. I could go on and on. The media is infatuated with fear mongering and the constant panic peddling concerning this whole event. And many people can't seem to see the forest through the trees.

I get it it- people died it's not a joke. I think people should go to a nice place outside take the tinfoil mask off and draw in a nice deep breath and relax. I don't need a lecture in response.

As an aside I'll be interested to see if folks have a different opinion when it's Easter egg hunt time for children....

A perfect thread for a future thesis on a microcosm of polarization in this country.

There is no arguing with those who put liberties over public health. There is no trying to talk sense of the greater good to them. It’s all about their liberties v. their health or their loved ones’ health.

And with Spring Break coming up, I am braced for those who might ruin this slow forward trajectory for the rest of us doing the greater good, knowing that true freedom means sacrifice, and wearing a mask is far from a sacrifice. It’s so easy, a freedom-loving toddler can do it!

For reals For reals
Mar '21

United we Stand, Divided we fall.

Guess were just going to find out at some point if this is a true statement now won't we.

Great job, Boomers.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '21

Well said, Greg. Wish I could give your post a "like".

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '21

1+ Greg.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '21

another +1 for Greg.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '21

+1 Greg!!!

Greg, -1. Stop it. Just stop it. We could get past this so much faster if people took the seriously.

Jim M Jim M
Mar '21

Another +1 for Greg here.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '21

+1 Jim M.

Again, no reasoning with these types. Gotta take care of ourselves and spread the greater good v. the virus in the form of selfish thinking.

For reals For reals
Mar '21

Hopefully, eight more months of sacrifice until I can enjoy a “ normal” Holiday with my family.
Please pass the Cranberry Sauce.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Lovely. Triggered much? Nowhere in my comments did I ridicule, fault or even remark on other people's opinions or views. However you chose to respond by dismissing or cancelling myself and others who happen to share a similar opinion regarding a simple outdoor event. How very inclusive and tolerant of you. Degregating a whole group of people as "these types" because it does not align with your views. Classic.
I guess the only thing I would add to my remarks above would be some folks actually need to go outside and take two deep long breaths and relax. It should be easy as I assume the air is a bit thinner up there on your high horse. LMAO!

So,... how did the Belvedere St. Patrick’s Day parade go?

Lamppost Lamppost
Mar '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Belvidere St. Patrick's Day Parade
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.