Amazon

So I've been under the impression that amazon sells things much cheaper than many other places or online sights but something changed at some point because that is no longer the case. As a shopaholic I'd much rather make my purchases in person so that I know exactly what I'm paying for but for obvious reasons I've been forced to turn to the web. The first thing I noticed was the price markup on a single pack of hair ties. Normally about $3.99 at Walmart, Goody Forever Hair Elastics 10ct retail for at least $11 on Amazon. Now that may not always be the case but if you've been under the same impression that I have then you may find that taking a minute to compare the price could save you quite a bit of money and helps out other retailors as well.

Sleepy Sleepy
Feb '21

Always best to compare prices. Amazon uses a lot of independent sellers as well. I usually find better deals on Walmart.com and they ship quick.

Hopeful Hopeful
Feb '21

Was the seller Amazon (which you can get Prime shipping) or a 3rd party shipping on their own? If the later, they cannot ship it to you for under $5.

I hear you. I looked up tinsel in November and it clearly said 99 cents ON the package - and it was 8.99 each for some and 9.99 for another listing.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '21

Amazon has some kind of preferential customer algorithm..meaning if you buy alot..prices are cheaper..different prices for different customers

Bug3
Feb '21

Prices also differ if you are a Prime Member.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '21

Just watch out for those Amazon drivers. Crazy bunch of folks who can’t get jobs at fedex, ups, or usps. Fourth string.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '21

They are usually driving around lost . I believe they put up those thin white sticks in Vienna on Route 46 to give them house numbers easy to read out front . But only a few of them actually had house numbers on them and the snowplows most likely took most down by now .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '21

After reading more about how Amazon changes prices several times throughout the day, I found this add on for browsers which you could also go to the site.

www.camelcamelcamel.com

It charts the pricing of any product. Pretty neat.

Hopeful Hopeful
Feb '21

Sleepy, I've noticed the same. "Free" shipping sometimes cost more. I always check several sites.

maja2 maja2
Feb '21

Sleepy.....I’m a Prime member and purchase from Amazon a lot. I logged in and checked the price of your Goody Forever and the price was the same $11 that you saw. So it doesn’t seem like the price is different for a frequent Prime shopper

Local Gal Local Gal
Feb '21

As with everything, know your prices and don’t buy if it’s not what you want to pay. I don’t know who’s buying $11.00 hair ties, but with so many other options, why would you.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '21

Find the exact item you want on Amazon in the correct size/color/etc, put it in your shopping cart , then click save for later and buy it when it falls to the price you want or not . I've gotten more than a few very good deals that way or found better elsewhere .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '21

97XBAM...i just learned that the other day, same thing applies if you put it on your wish list. I noticed there are many hair ties, so I compared the ones you can get in Target for $3.89 and the $10.99 ones at Amazon, Amazon says ships 3 packs. Makes me glad I have short hair, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '21

I found a 25 foot silver landline cord for my Xfinity triple play modem for 3.88 at Wally World last week with nothing close in price on big river . When my fire stick kept rebooting to start because the included usb wall charger was only 1 amp , a 2.4 amp Heyday charger that fixed the problem was available at nearby Target for 5 bucks and change . A great deal is where you find it .

https://www.target.com/p/heyday-153-usb-wall-charger/-/A-53454899?preselect=54212983

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '21

Of course it pays to shop around and watch those shipping games people play but Amazon’s number one attribute to me is ease of use and convenience. It’s just too dam easy. Unfortunately at the cost of Main Street where I will always choose to shop first.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '21

Rarely buy from Amazon; got a number of damaged shipments early on and really just don't like aggregators. Nor subscription based buying clubs. Have been able to get along just fine without them. And now I have to avoid those crazy drivers and their band new --- soon to be dented --- pretty blue trucks. They are everywhere, like locusts.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Amazon
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.