Venting 2021

So this year's rant.. I live in a condo and a neighbor has a gas grill on the second floor deck. These are illegal. I sent letters to the office and was told they called the resident and that was all they could do. When I moved in someone here yelled at me and sent me a copy of the "book of rules". Apparently gas grill tanks explode and can cause a fire. Welcome 2021..

Mmadone Mmadone
Jan '21

An H-town Life rant thread is my rant. Real ranters ron’t rant rere, Reggie :-(

Be great to really speak our minds, or lack thereof.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '21

Propane anywhere within 5 feet of structure -including decks is against state fire codes -
do what you need to so this can be enforced - in multifamily dwellings

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '21

eh.....on propane ---- it depends....fyi --- 125 is bigger than those vertical tubes, it's a fat-boy vertical. Thank goodness since many of us propane bbq close to home....

Tanks under 125 gallons water capacity:
must be at least 10 feet from a window air conditioner
must be placed a minimum of 5 feet from a crawl space opening

Tanks 125-500 gallons water capacity:
must be placed a minimum of 10 feet from a building
must be at least 10 feet from a line of adjoining property

Tanks up to 2000 gallons water capacity:
must be placed a minimum of 25 feet from the building
no part of an underground tank of this size shall be less than 10 feet from a building or line of adjoining property

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '21

Natural gas or electric grills are the only ones permitted on condo decks.
If association will not respond, contact the County Fire Marshall’s office. They’ll happily write a violation.
I believe it is $350 for a violation.

Stymie Stymie
Jan '21

I am real confuse. Can anyone make sense of this?

https://www.njcondoblog.com/insight/5-feet-or-10-feet-which-is-it-the-confusion-within-the-nj-fire-code-regarding-portable-propane-bbq-grills/

Jan '21

strangerdanger

Lawyerspeak, all the way on that blog, blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah blah.
Got bored about halfway through and saying get to the blanking point without the sidebars and clicked it off.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '21

Mmadone- contact someone on the Board and INSIST that they have the Mgt. Co. send out a warning. Don’t let them blow you off.
Squeaky wheel.
County Fire Marshal would LOVE to write a violation.
Had similar problem.
If in Warren County, depending on the Twp.,
Town won’t handle it they just do smoke
certifications.
They’ll refer you to the County.
And they take their job VERY seriously.

Stymie Stymie
Jan '21

Gee Phil, given your precision, figured that would be roght up your alley.

I have a cement floor open porch with roof with cathedral ceiling roof n wall more than 5 ft away. I’m sticking with the bbq there.

My 100lb range/generator tank is next to house and has been through umpteen inspections.

Like I said, very confusing.

Jan '21

Anybody else?....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popsugar.com/family/milan-marie-singing-videos-48124423/amp

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '21

Stranger- 1,000 gal
House, condo or townhome?

Stymie Stymie
Jan '21

100 lb. for stove and generator.

Jan '21

Just fyi
End of month. A lot of cops out and about, speed traps, on patrol, etc.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '21

C'mon! Two property owners that refuse to clear the snow from their sidewalks. 14 Mitchell on the corner of Shelley and Mitchell. 2 Seymour Terrace on the corner of Mitchell and Seymour. These property's connect making the entire block from Seymour Terrace to Shelley Drive a walking disaster! Both walks were only cleared after the large storm but NOTHING since. The last 4 snow events the sidewalks have been completely ignored by both property owners for some inexcusable reason.

This has created a very unsafe, dangerous situation. Not to mention a violation of law. It is also quite simply a clear message of having zero respect for neighbors.

Both parties are physically well equipped to clear the walkway as has typically been the norm for years.

Disgraceful and unacceptable.

Greg

Oh yeah, you mean the place with essentially zero line of sight in that direction when you're making a turn off of Mitchell also.

I've also seen that a lot of people still don't know that parking, when it's allowed, is only on the even house numbers side of the street. That goes for all around town.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '21

Where is the police of the town?

Bernie Bernie
Feb '21

People who go on vacation in the middle of a pandemic are _________.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '21

perhaps people needing a vacation? Really depends on what you do and how you do it. However, it appears that Mexican cruise's are really out of style proving once again that you just can't keep immediately doing exactly what your kids tell you to do. They're kids.

Feb '21

I know a lot of people going to Florida, Disney to be precise. People just don't care anymore. Once things started opening, people took it as the pandemic was over.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Feb '21

I hope the false assumption that the pandemic is over goes away - unless and until the virus is really gone.................a lot of unwise behavior out there

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '21

Like I said earlier, try to stop people in June is going to be virtually impossible...

Bothered , yup. I saw someone on Facebook that kept taking her kids all over to swim and having fun posting pics of groups - They now all have Covid. It's not over. People are getting too lacking now with protection, but were scared to death a year ago.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '21

My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Mexico back in September. It was very relaxed and enjoyable

Michael Michael
Feb '21

The pandemic is far from over. Vacation at your own risk but remember there are others to consider if you use unsafe behavior. Our nation has performed worse than a bunch of toddlers regarding safe behavior and thinking of others.

For reals For reals
Feb '21

+1 that.

Feb '21

-1000 to that

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '21

If teachers are able to go out and buy their own groceries and go out to Walmart and target they can certainly go to school to teach kids in school. It's time to open the schools 5 days a week.

Open the schools and dock the pay of any teacher who doesn't show up.

It's time.

lonelyvoice
Feb '21

We went on several vacations last year in the middle of the pandemic. We were in our RV and felt very safe. We’re completely self-contained and didn’t need to use any public facilities (restaurants, bathrooms, showers). We were isolated at the campsites and enjoyed the great outdoors hiking and relaxing. We plan on doing the same this year.....once the snow melts!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Feb '21

Forcing people to go to work in a pandemic without vaccines is unchristian.

Friendly Mc face Friendly Mc face
Feb '21

"unchristian" REally?!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Feb '21

Hahahaha!!!!!!

Philliesman Philliesman
Feb '21

Let’s attack a whole profession because we all are walking in their shoes, right? Classrooms are confined spaces whereas big box stores are not. And we are off to the races.

For reals For reals
Feb '21

Open the U.S.A.

The kids are victims. Sheltered, bored, scared, confused, lonely. Not good.

I thought it was Chicago where the union doesn't want to open schools. I don't recall that happening here. Did I miss something? I think teachers want to go back to the classrooms.

I don't think it's unreasonable to prioritize vaccinating teachers. Open the schools. Open the country. Live your life.

Jim KIng
Feb '21

Teachers I spoke to do want to go back as long as it’s safe. To trash them as lazy and enjoying working from home while homeschooling their own kids and managing family issues is just narrow-minded.

And kids want to go back, too! As long as it’s safe.

For reals For reals
Feb '21

When I was young and of school age we were registering for the draft, watching the numbers being drawn on TV and getting shipped out.
JUST SUCK IT UP.
Closer to the end than to the beginning.

Stymie Stymie
Feb '21

Hey Hunter's Brook residents...Shovel your sidewalks!

Snowman Snowman
Feb '21

Disappointed that Sonny's wings are the size of a canary and you get nine. My little can eat that all by himself with the tiny size of them. LOL. I've never seen 'wings' that little, even Bette Midler's. (bad joke)

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '21

DDA- I damn near spit out my coffee on the canary wing line! LOL. On the flip side Marley's serves wings from seemingly Big Bird!.

Ugh! Snowing again!!! Please don't stick. I'm so sick of shoveling

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '21

DDA- Maybe they did a lot of flying. LOL

auntiel auntiel
Feb '21

Oh Calico. I hear you & I agree.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Feb '21

Greg, good to know. I'm sure they'd rather be full after eating wings rather than checking the bird cage for an escapee. ;)

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '21

How many DFU's can you put on a 2"vent ??

Dadof3
Feb '21

Here you go!

https://up.codes/s/vent-pipe-sizing

@Greg, very good!!
Just trying to have a little fun!!

Dadof3
Feb '21

I can't believe I'm living in a world that is reassigning the gender of a plastic potato....

Yea, Greg sad isn't it? I remember the sixties, they were fun. Just didn't realize what was coming.

Bernie Bernie
Feb '21

Greg, LOL. The potato also has interchangeable parts, so it's even funnier. Just put the stache on 'Mrs.' Potato Head, I guess. It's laughable. How far are we going with this stuff?

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '21

Until something is done to stop this nonsense it will continue to happen. RIP Mr. Potato Head.

kb2755 kb2755
Feb '21

What nonsense? They changed the brand to Potato Head. Gender neutral brand. Big deal. It's not British Petroleum either, it's BP. You can still buy by gender getting a Potato Head, named Mister Potato Head right on the box or a Potato Head, named Mrs. Potato Head right on the box too. Family sets will be gender neutral and show male/male, female/female right on the cover. Kids can use their imagination and be gender unrestricted. Can even invent a feminine potato head with a mustache like my Aunt Edna. Cool.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90607931/the-iconic-mr-potato-head-gets-a-21st-century-rebrand

What I am still upset about is the fake plastic potato body moving kids away from torturing vegetables. Where's the fun in fake plastic. We knew the joys of jabbing live root stock in the 50's. Why, I had to put on heavy clothes, grab my shovel, and dig up my own bodies in order to play Mr. Potato head when I was young. We learned the joys of having to kill in order to play back then when we did the things needing to be done to do it right :>)

Feb '21

And WW just doesn’t cut it for Weight Watchers, nor Dunkin without the donuts! Next up: Bucks for Starbucks because it’s that overpriced! Wa for WaWa! Let’s have some fun here!

For reals For reals
Feb '21

LOL, For reals. Saying WW takes twice as long as saying Weight Watchers, right? I think maybe they pay by the letter for advertising. LOL. Or Oprah had something to do with it since she owns a stake in it. Didn't like her as a spokesperson though, because she never seemed to lose weight.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '21

@DogDayAfternoon. Not a fan of Oprah at all. Respect her life story but it ends there. Another thread perhaps. Gotta get my "Dunkin" and then register at WW. LOL

For reals For reals
Feb '21

LOL - For reals.

Just looking at an ad in classifieds for almost a 100 bucks a day for a doggy workout? I'm in the wrong business.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '21

Not for nothing, but that ad for a job at RDJ could scare off anyone. It might as well say 'Do it all Monday through Friday. Weekends'. I sure hope the main woman isn't gone. Her name escapes me, but very efficient and friendly. That ad is way too much to list for that little place. You can get hired at Microsoft with a smaller ad. ;)

DogDayAfternoon
Mar '21

If cupboard is pronounced "cubbard" and clapboard is pronounced "clabbard", why isn't clipboard pronounced "clibbard"?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Mar '21

Wish this was a country that you could get antibiotics over the counter and eliminate doc appointments that you know you don't need.

LookingLocallyfor LookingLocallyfor
Mar '21

There is no one antibiotic that is effective against all diseases. How would you know which one to buy and if it for sale or know what your specific issue is or it's needs? I don't think the doctor visit is onerous in time or trouble if it gets me the best solution for my issue.

MK

Absolutely correct and not only that, but most people just ask the doc for an antibiotic to kill the bug and get it over with. Overprescription due to patient insistence on them as well as some doctors just "throwing" an antibiotic at it when it wasn't indicated (or to shut up an overly insistent patient, has led to new "superbugs" which are resistant to all but the strongest antibiotics.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '21

antibio, Theres a possible allergic reaction to some as well. Are they otc in other counties.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '21

This is offensive /s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hekDuCBxCc

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Apr '21

OMG it was a skit on SNL - what did you expect?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '21

That’s hilarious! LOL

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '21

as a boomer- pretty damn funny

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '21

Edith Puthy, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '21

To the "gentleman" at Home Depot this morning who unloaded his items into his work van and then simply pushed the lumber cart into an empty handicap spot, you're a real class act. It was literally 30 ft away from the lumber entrance -too far for you I gather. You seemed quite offended that I got out of my vehicle and removed the cart from the center of the spot and put it where it belongs. I guess the expression on my face said enough. I sure wished you were man enough speak up. I would have quite enjoyed explaining to you how disrespectful and lazy your actions are.

Greg

It's too bad Cart Narcs wasn't on the job here, though maybe you should apply to be an honorary agent. I love their channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClMUlr8yHymYgSe58DpUH7w

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '21

Wow! There seems to be many more ignorant, lazy people out there than I thought. LOL. The hostility they exhibit all stems from their own actions. I guess getting called out seems to upset some. I actually don't care when folks leave the cart scattered. It was when the clown yesterday placed it in the middle of a handicap spot is what grinds my gears.

Just went down the Cart Narcs rabbit hole- those are pure gold!

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '21

The Gaggia is broken!!! Now, I've got to buy a Box of Joe and dig the old automatic drip out of the basement.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Apr '21

Stores that have that one lone worker that doesn't wear a mask of wears it around their chin or mouth only. It's been over a year. Not so hard to do.

DogDayAfternoon
Apr '21

A deadly shooting in Allentown this morning at a WaWa.........

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-upper-macungie-active-shooter-route-100-20210421-kxr3wp42gva4ffc2vo6vnubwhi-story.html

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Apr '21

Nurix, birth control commercials on TV.
Constant, repetitive, 2 versions constantly on.
I’m a middle aged man, they’re missing their target audience running on my shows and sports.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '21

Not being able to comment on the Hackettstown Historical Society Museum's page to update people. Just like Josh can't update on the metal detecting page after 2 successive posts.

Can that be changed to put a time limit on it? Perhaps if nobody else has posted within 1-2 weeks, then the double poster is allowed to post again. That would help keep the thread alive, IMHO.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '21

post a link to the thread and I'll bump it up for you, Phil

ianimal ianimal
Apr '21

Thanks Ian

It's http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/911035

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '21

What is with the tailgating so hard on Grand? Yesterday some woman in a gold colored Aldi was tailing a driver so hard & the other car was not only doing the speed limit, but maybe even a little over. FF to the light at the PO and this whiskey tango has the nerve to pull next to the other car & start trying to mouth off TO THE ELDERLY FEMALE DRIVER. The woman did absolutely nothing wrong. She completely ignored her as she should have
Lady of you're reading this... Get yourself in check for real. Trying to act up to an elderly woman makes you SO TOUGH & COOL tho

Weebiekins Weebiekins
May '21

I hear you Weebiekins. I have noticed more people tailgating in frustration as well. Always in a hurry for God knows what. I don't understand it. With that said for some reason I often find myself riding too close. Not because of speed as I always say no worries, no hurry. (Life is too short as it is). I just seem to like to follow close. I am always conscious of it and try to back off when I realize it. Sometimes a driver will let me now in no uncertain terms. LOL. I always feel bad when I cause someone to feel pressured behind the wheel...

Weebiekins. I feel that. I hate when I'm going over the speed limit and I can practically see someone's nose hairs in my rear view mirror. Nothing can be so important. If it was, you'd be in an ambulance on the way to a hospital. Poor old woman. Probably made her nervous.

DogDayAfternoon
May '21

People who have an answer or response to every single topic on the planet. Seriously, you can't know everything about everything.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '21

Jrzy- thinking about that. Where is strangerdanger? Haven’t heard a word from him in 2 months. Hope he’s okay.

auntiel auntiel
May '21

Oh sorry if this was misinterpreted, I was actually venting about a co-worker LOL!!

Hoping SD is ok...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '21

SD is okay............

4catmom 4catmom
May '21

“Where is strangerdanger?”

I know how to get him back...

I just built an AR pistol with a short barrel and large capacity magazine. Aaaaand go!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '21

LOL. Well played, Mark.

SD felt wronged by the administrators...

I guess SD could start his own forum.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
May '21

That’s funny!! Glad he’s okay. There’s a lot of posters we don’t see here anymore. Nothing exciting going on I guess. :(

auntiel auntiel
May '21

People move on, we will all move on eventually :)

After decades and decades of near flawless mail service, I find it beginning to stray from it’s outstanding quality.
Some bills fail to be delivered, some come late, mail that is not mine in mailbox.
Hope its only temporary due to pandemic.
Anyone else experiencing deficiencies?

Stymie Stymie
May '21

Strangerdanger, please come back. I miss you and your comments/posts.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
May '21

Calm down. You sound thirsty.

May '21

I wish people would taking down political campaign signs placed on public property. If you are taking them because you want a sign for your own lawn, get in touch with the campaign instead. They will get you a sign. If you are taking them down because you don't like the candidate, get a life. If you are taking them down because you are a town, county or state road worker, stop it! These signs are allowed to be there 30 days prior to an election. Campaign volunteers spend countless hours driving around and putting these signs out.

Calico696 Calico696
May '21

I agree Calico it is wrong to remove them.

So on this topic, the same volunteers that spend countless hours driving around and putting these signs up should also spend countless hours taking those same signs down following the election regardless of whether or not their candidate won/lost. I am still seeing the same signs up for elections that happened in November, and yes I have contacted the Board of Elections to have them removed.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '21

totally agree JrzyGirl88

4catmom 4catmom
May '21

JrzyGirl88 For the win.

Sacks cousin
May '21

JrzyGirl88

I'm pretty sure I remember an NJ state law within the last 10 years or so that stated that campaigns not removing their signs within a certain time period after the election the signs were for had to pay a fine for each instance.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '21

Why do we have to open an account just to check the balance of a Target gift card?

I personally take down all the signs I place. But that's just me, can't speak for others.

Calico696 Calico696
May '21

Wet teddybears and kars for kids

4catmom 4catmom
May '21

Can't believe it takes weeks, months, and even over a year to get things fixed with our condo landlord. Starting to believe that he may think if you wait long enough, you'll pay for repairs and get it done yourself. Starting to look elsewhere.

DogDayAfternoon
May '21

Dog Day — I live in an apartment complex in town and my husband and I spend our own money and fix things ourselves for this very reason. It’s completely ridiculous that we have to but after five years of maintenance coming in, hemming and hawing, and then never coming back to finish the repair while we hound and hound them — we kind of have to!

Depending on what repairs are needed, you may be legally able to repair and deduct the cost from your rent payment. For more info, please see Marini v. Ireland, 265 A.2d 526 (1970).

I am not a lawyer, nor does this post indicate legitimate legal advice. Consult an expert.

Joyceway Joyceway
May '21

Kat, I can see why. The landlord has raised rents a few times, even during the pandemic, but getting repairs the last few years - brutal.

Joyceway, thanks for the information. I do have everything in writing with him for when he's been going to fix things - over and over.

DogDayAfternoon
May '21

If you don't know how to drive a stick, practice getting out of first gear in a parking lot, not a busy intersection. Also, don't give the finger to someone being kind & patient sitting there minding their business just waiting for you to get your shyte together cause you were clearly worked up when YOU FINALLY figure it out. Oh and my DADDY also would never have felt the need to lean across me in the driver's seat & give someone the finger too for no literally no reason, but then again my dad didn't let me out on the roadway until I had mastered first gear. At least there are not too many vintage white punch buggies on the road around here, so people will be able to avoid you & your daddy.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jun '21

People are so tolerant these days. When the middle finger is your go to in a situation, that tells you all you need to know about that person in my book. No respect for themselves or others.

I agree, stick to a parking lot or back roads before hitting the traffic. When I taught my children to drive it was first on a standard transmission car. I had them get going over and over without using the accelerator. It worked like a charm as they got the true feeling of the physics of what was taking place. It made taking off with increasing speed and efficientness a breeze. They both mastered it in no time.

The father was a jerk. He should have gotten behind the wheel and move the vehicle. Reminds me of my first panic attack alone with a stick. Many many years ago turning left where the new QC is going. Thank goodness my cousin happened to be behind me 10 cars back. He saw it was me, told me to move over, and got behind the wheel and rescued me and the line of traffic. That’s what daddy should have done.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '21

Weird that I got my NJ refund quickly within 2 weeks into my bank account, but my Federal is still being processed - from March. It was easy and done through H&R Block, as usual. No idea if they are that far behind or I'm just in limbo. LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '21

Same here, many people are delayed many months with the federal refunds.

Thanks, iJay. NJ was so quick, though, so that was nice.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '21

Funny, the Feds didn't waste any time processing my return and cashing my $10k underpayment check, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '21

DogDayAfternoon

That's odd. I filed mine at 11:19pm on May 17th and about 10 days later got my refund by Direct Deposit. Since I'd changed addresses that year and hadn't gotten the $1400 stimulus yet, that now also appeared by in my account as well. Haven't seen hide nor hair of my NJ refund though.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '21

Phil D. I got my stimulus right after I filed. But Federal is taking since mid March - and it's direct deposit, etc. NJ was pretty quick, as usual. I just plan on taking the loss. lol

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '21

ianimal, they just accept your return if you pay. My mom owed a couple thousand and 2 days after it was accepted by the feds the money was withdrawn from her bank account. IRS is ancient and the whole tax system needs an overhaul.

damn junk calls - as fast as I report them to nomorobo there are more - on my landline - have resorted to having answering machine pick up after 2 rings or disconnecting that phone - verizon call filter does a pretty good job of silencing junk on my cell - but geeze - enough already -

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '21

Agree 4catmom. Seems like so many more lately. I only have a landline, always let my machine answer unless I recognize the number. I recently ordered a filter from Whirlpool, made the mistake of giving them my phone number, & boom, dozens of calls every day. None of the "blockers" seem to prevent this on Verizon. And it's really should be illegal for them to use people's & business local numbers to hide who they are.

Jun '21

Enough is enough of the Royal news. I was born under the British life so I am interested but enough already !!!!

Bernie Bernie
Jun '21

I don’t wish divorce onto anyone…. Just saying … simply heartbreaking!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jun '21

Re: Venting 2021

Strolling Riverfront Park last night just before dusk. It amazes me how much trash is left around literally feet from receptacles. Here's an example. While I wholeheartedly support the first amendment, a litter bug is a litter bug. This sign message was just a few feet from a garbage can.

Greg

True, just because they're quoting the Bible verse from "John 3:17", doesn't mean they shouldn't make sure they leave the Earth they live on clean after they've passed by.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '21

I wanted to go down the shore for a day trip this Thursday. Problem is the places I normally go aren’t open during the week until NEXT week. :(

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '21

Does anyone use a crosswalk? LOL

True friends listen and don’t interrupt.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '21

I'd love to find a part-time job, but when I check online (not HL here), I find they want want someone who's really young. I'm over 55 and I don't really need to have another job, but would love to find an enjoyable job. Of course, I DO wish I were younger. lol I'll keep looking til I find something that says age doesn't matter. ;)

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '21

A fox took out our duck eggs and our newly born bunnies. We’ve been watching them for weeks with a night camera. Within a week both were gone. I’m sad.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '21

@Auntiel A fox took one one my younger hens from me this morning while my guard dog wasn't around and when I walked away all we heard was a loud yell from the hen and I saw the fox sprinting , it managed to jump the fence and climb right back out, its very upsetting and sad... sorry about your bunnies. My guard dog wasn't able to get to the fox on time

Daniel Daniel
Jun '21

Dear Dukes landscaping,
Hello. This is your friendly neighbor from a mile across town. Would you please be so kind to figure out which car in your lot continues to have their panic attack alarms go off all odd hours of the night.
Sometimes for 3 minutes at 3am. Other times it’s for 15 seconds around 11. Either way, I have lots of people in my house who would love to sleep and not be woken up by some random car alarm.
Please and Thank you. Have a great day.

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Jul '21

A phone call would be your best option instead of posting a letter to them on here.

Blue
Jul '21

Duke's is active on FB. You might be able to send them a friendly reminder vis messenger about the situation. Good luck and hope you get some sleep soon! Zzzz

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '21

Sleep is over rated

Jul '21

"Sleep is over rated"

If you are a retired boomer that is.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jul '21

Or the owner of an old dog that wakes you up at 5am Every morning.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '21

3wbdwnj,

Shouldn't talk about your spouse that way. You can think it, but never say it.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jul '21

Did call and leave a message and don’t have Facebook. Thanks for the advice though.
I was just coming on here to vent. I thought this thread was titled just for that.
Maybe we’ll title it “vent, and we’ll tell you what you did wrong?”
Either way have a great night Hackettstown

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Jul '21

July 9th, 2021 - Election over for a month now - please hard working volunteers take down the signs for the Candidates that you supported

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '21

Can't believe I'm sitting here looking for places, but months and over a year that your landlord doesn't get people out to do repairs is enough. Wish I knew if anyone else that he owns has the same issues. Talking a good game and being nice doesn't cut it when it comes to owning condos and not doing necessary repairs.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '21

Covid concerns may have something to do with these types of situations.
Over the past year, I have had difficulty getting a plumber to come out.
Fortunately, my son was able to fix the situation by looking up a You Tube video.

Spring fever Spring fever
Jul '21

DogDayAfternoon

While I'm pretty sure that most landlords in town strive to keep their buildings safe, secure and both properly and legally maintained, I have heard of at least one with a reputation of just collecting rents and doing little to no maintenance. I have not had that experience, however I'm not going to discount the experiences of others, as I would hate to be in that situation and have to worry about calling the building code inspector, etc. due to lack of attention to what sometimes urgently needs to be done.

That said, it could be mostly the backlog of work due to Covid, as has been mentioned, though if the repairs are a matter of health and safety, then the landlord should make them a priority and not only do everything they can to make sure issue(s) are remedied, but also keep you informed as to what they are doing to remedy the situation(s) and why repairs are taking so long.

Putting off repairs only works against the landlord in the long run, so any landlord that overlooks them just puts themselves in an ever-deeper hole, that is, unless and until they can have the property condemned and sell it to a new owner who will redevelop it;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '21

What kind of disgusting individual would open a bottle of soda, take a swig, and put it back in the refrigerated display case for someone else to buy?

So annoying to be tired, thirsty, and unable to drink the Coke Zero I just purchased.

So now, there's one more thing to check. Might have to bring a magnifying glass as my contacts aren't that great for the little things.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Jul '21

So tired of seeing the rise in numbers - so unnecessary -at best -

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '21

So tired of the fear mongering

Philliesman Philliesman
Jul '21

DogDay.
Money is free- 30 year mortgage about 3%.
After tax advantages figure under 2.5%
Rents up 8% year over year.
Don’t like being a tenant?
Buy you own place and do the maintenance yourself.
3.5% down and can get a giveback at closing of thousands of $$$’s
“Gotta Stop Sobbin’...”

Stymie Stymie
Jul '21

"“I’m admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections,” wrote Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, in an emotional Facebook post Sunday. “One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”"

did someone say "fear mongering"?

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '21

Oh GEE, thanks, Stymie. I wouldn't have known to BUY my own house! (rolls eyes) Glad you think everyone just can because you say so. POOF! Oh, just bought one. LOL 'Gotta Stop Sobbin'? Really? How nice of you. It's venting thread, not tell someone else their finance and how to live their life thread. I pay rent, on time monthly. Landlords should fix things. That's the end of it. It's HIS job to, but from what I hear, he's over his head. But, thanks for telling me to buy a house. I'll just do that in five minutes, since as you said 'money is free'. Ugh

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '21

"Buy you own place and do the maintenance yourself."

That's what husbands are for. Or boyfriends. Or just men that hang around you with nothing to do hoping you might come around.

Sometimes you can trade a home cooked meal worth fifteen, twenty dollars into a three hundred dollar plumbing, roofing or framing job if you work it right...

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jul '21

Imagine making a statement like that but in reverse……..

Philliesman Philliesman
Jul '21

So I guess a turkey dinner gets me a new roof?
Prime Rib new windows?

Stymie Stymie
Jul '21

What does a lobster dinner get? Just curious

Jul '21

dodgebaal, you REALLY think that it's okay to ask a professional to do something for an apple pie or a dinner? Bartering food for professional services? They're not Doc Baker from Little House on the Prairie. Plus, it's not up to me to fix the things that are wrong, whether by 'dinner' or paying.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '21

Weather forecasters that use “ feels like temperatures” rather than using actual temperatures to exaggerate temperature extremes. Just tell me the actual temperature. I”ll decide what it feels like to me.

Indie Indie
Aug '21

So many yellow jackets and wasps getting in the house this year. Ahhhh! Think they're also in the gas fireplace vent nesting. Ugh.

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '21

Venting, for sure. Irrational too. BUT....I've had my bank accounts with Fulton Bank since it started out as Skylands Bank (probably early 1980's). Today I went to make a loan payment & cash three small less-than-three-dollar checks. I had to show them my driver's license. If someone was pretending to be me to make a payment on my loan, that's fine with me, lol. I also had written my account number on the back of the checks, so they could certainly have seen that I have AMPLE balance, enough to cover less than $8.00 worth of checks. Just annoyed me. Probably the heat.

Aug '21

Also, I agree with Indie. Just tell us the temperature.

Aug '21

"Weather forecasters that use “ feels like temperatures” rather than using actual temperatures to exaggerate temperature extremes. Just tell me the actual temperature. I”ll decide what it feels like to me."

Then get a thermometer. They are not that expensive these days, and are great for not angering a Karen over the most simple thing.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '21

Is it possible that “heat index” and “wind chill” allow individuals to prepare more effectively got their trips outdoors?
Heat index for those with breathing and pulmonary issues- wind chill for those with maybe a long walk and in need of a windbreak layer.
Valuable information to me.

Stymied Stymied
Aug '21

Farm to table

Aug '21

I’d rather not have someone else tell me how i feel.

Indie Indie
Aug '21

CVS Mainstreet. So busy force filling prescriptions that you don't need yet you have to wait an hour to get them to fill one that you do. While waiting for a much needed antibiotic for a very bad case of bronchitis, I sat there and watched the pharmacy tech clean out the overloaded bins of prescriptions that had not been picked up. I'm not sure if they just throw those prescriptions away or if they "put them back" on the shelf. At best, it's a waste of time and effort, at worst, it's an opportunity to make a fatal mistake.

I wish CVS was not the only pharmacy in my plan.

I ordered a shirt three weeks ago... it did a hell of a lot more traveling this summer than I did.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '21

Wish there was a laugh button for that one

John C John C
Aug '21

Brings back the time an order got within 10 miles of my home and then went hundreds of miles away before getting it. Two weeks of delays and watching the mess be corrected. Thankfully it did make it but the box sure showed signs of a rough ride...

Years ago, my sister mailed a large box with special Christmas gifts from Kenvil to her family in Salt Lake City, Utah. After notifying the post office of the package not arriving for so long, she finally got a call from her family in Utah. They got a piece of cardboard with the address label on it. No package.

Ian & iJay

I had the same thing happen. I'd placed an order which apparently was going to be filled by several branches of the same company. I think it was the Virginia one that made it all the way to the sort facility in or near Rutherford, then instead of coming here was rerouted to California making various stops on the way there, then coming back to Virginia, where it was rerouted back out and finally made it here around two weeks later.

PAM

I had the same issue with a birthday card from Parsippany to here. My parents actually enclosed money in it (they're far too nice, I'm in my early 60's, LOL). They wondered why I hadn't gotten it in a while and when I finally did, I received a USPS window that stated "WE CARE" on the back with a window that just fit the envelope of the card my parents had sent. The inner envelope was torn about 2/3 of the way from one side and had no card nor money inside. The money wasn't particularly important, but I and they always enjoy reading the cards that were sent. On the back of the envelope was stamped "Received Without Contents At ___________. They didn't even have the courtesy to show where the last piece in the chain was.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '21

A package we were waiting for traveled to many places before reaching our address. It came first to NJ and then went to about 4 other States before coming back to NJ. I don't remember the detail, but I talked to several people including people at two different sorting facilities. Nobody could explain "why." It took about 3 months to get to us. The sender, a business, was not at fault. Another time a long time ago I sent Christmas gifts to my Nieces in Sussex County. We all thought they were lost and would never show up. They arrived in fine shape 18 months later!!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Aug '21

Restaurant closed today because not enough staff. Something is wrong here, people need to get back to work...

Don't ever mail anything near Allentown or Bethlehem, PA during December of any year. i mailed a few Christmas cards to northern PA that went through the Allentown Post Office. it took 3-6 WEEKS to get to all 3 friends!!

Hackresident Hackresident
Aug '21

IJAY you do know what the problem is, don't you?

Bernie Bernie
Aug '21

My wife and daughter had a baby shower to go to on Saturday so weeanimal and I had a "Dad and Lad Day". He wanted to go to IHOP for breakfast, so I took him... the hostess informed us that there would be a FORTY minute wait... for BREAKFAST.

Needless to say, we went to Key City Diner instead... but the hostess apologized and said that it was due to them being extremely short-staffed.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '21

I’m sure it has nothing to do with paying a living wage.
Couldn’t be that.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '21

We had the same situation at IHOP yesterday (Sunday) morning, ianimal.We did wait for our table over half a hour. They not only were short staffed but did not see anyone that resembled a Manager in sight. No spoons, no catsup, food not as ordered... toast more like warm bread than toast....but...we survived without one complaint to anyone and with our waitress getting a big tip as she sure earned it...We were together with our daughter and her husband and able to chat and catch up and enjoy breakfast best we could under the circumstances....All is good!

joyful joyful
Aug '21

it's going to be a before restaurants get back to where you want them to be. it isn't the unemployment (cuz I know that's what most people think) it's the plain fact that for the most part restaurants haven't taken care of their staff in the past. when you do find a place that is busy and the service is good then you know you have found a place that historically took care of their staff.

not for nothing, new jersey is the land of diners and pretty much every single one of them has great breakfast food. why would you opt to go to IHOP? same goes for those who lament the loss of longhorn steakhouse. the restauranteurs are only half the problem the rest is the fact that most america thinks that Applebee's, IHOP, longhorn, chili's etc are actually good.

Ser positivo Ser positivo
Aug '21

The Colorado omelette at IHOP is better than any omelette I've had at any diner in the state. Not even close... but I definitely agree with you about Applebee's and Chili's.

And, if you had said "Outback", I would have agreed with you regarding steakhouses. But, Longhorn and Texas Roadhouse are actually quite good for their price point.

Will you confuse it with Peter Luger or even Blue Grillhouse? No, but you're only paying half as much for something that is probably 80-85% as good. For some, that's more than good enough.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '21

Pam and I went to IHOP yesterday also
When we asked for spoons, the server told us that the reason they don't put them on the table is because people are stealing them, along with the salt and pepper shakers, bottles of ketshup, and other items. What a crazy world!

John C John C
Aug '21

Thanks for that info, John C....We finally got one spoon on our table and it was a long handled ice cream spoon to share. That explains a lot...Oh well....

joyful joyful
Aug '21

When you can:
Eat early
Make reservations
Eat at the bar if there is an empty chair. *Service is quicker. It has saved me 45 minutes twice in the last 3 weeks
Enjoy your meal mate while you wait, as joyful did!
Eat in, become a millionaire

maja2 maja2
Aug '21

Main Street Cafe has the best breakfasts!

Luca

Main Street Cafe is just great overall! We keep returning there.

Vent of the day/month, whatever: yellowjackets, SO MANY yellowjackets! I dislike those wasps to begin with, but they were in the soffit of my place, mgmt. had someone treat it, but then now there's both dead yellowjackets (yay) and a ground nest 3 feet from my front door! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! (Did I say GRR?)

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '21

The worst, Phil. Be careful with those ground ones. They are very nasty.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '21

I agree with the vent about yellow jackets. They seem to be everywhere! We had a nest in a wall of the house, which was difficult to located and I now after removing the nest I have a hole in the drywall that needs to be repaired. We had two more nests in the yard. One was in a tree and about the size of a watermelon. Another one was in a bed of pachysandra, which I found the hard way (by stepping on it). Got stung about four times. Ughh!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Aug '21

My vent for the week is Lantern Flies - they are everywhere!!!!! I can't even sit on my deck I have so many! I am in PV.

Phil D. I agree. I have a ton of them this year outside AND inside. I kill about 2 a day. Not fun. I've gotten stung once and it was pretty painful. But, I see them swirling all day long and somehow, they get in.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

What is the best way that you have found to kill them? I feel like I need ninja like reflexes

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Sep '21

Spray air freshener works great on yellowjackets. I maintain my distance while they drop to the floor soaked in lavender peachy freshness. At that point, I just grab a paper towel and finish them off. Works like a charm.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '21

Raid wasp/hornet spray works like a charm! Sprays up to 22 feet and they keel over instantly. When you do it enough times, trust me - your aim gets dead on. lol

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

Dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle — couple of direct spritzes will kill them. It suffocates the exoskeleton so it takes a minute for them to die but they will.

I should clarify that I’m talking about lantern flies, have not tried it on a wasp though it theoretically should work on any bug.

Another yellow jacket victim here too. Not been stung, but destroyed a wasp nest first about two months ago. Now over the weekend had to deal with a nest of small yellow jackets. Got behind an outdoor light soffit.

Yellow Jackets!! 6 weeks ago I got stung by seven or eight Yellow Jackets. I was on my deck and instead of bending down and picking up a small plant on my deck I nudged it slightly with my toe. The attack by the YJ's was immediate and painful. I don't think I've Ever screamed out loud until the YJ attack. They were on both of my ankles. I ran screaming into the garage and then into the house and some followed me and stung me on a back portion of my body. And it was 7:30 on a Sunday evening. I had never been stung by any type of Bee. It was painful and my ankles were bright Christmas/Valentine's Day Red. I called a part of my insurance's 24/7 Nurse hotline. We agreed I was alive and for that night I used Benadryl and cortisone that I had in the house. Two Doctors and two prescriptions later I still have the sting marks but the pain, irritation and discoloration are gone. I didn't see the YJ's, I didn't hear them - they were just there, and I am very careful. They are definitely Nasty!! Beware!!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Sep '21

For wasps, yellow jackets, etc. I have found that the "regular" Spectracide spray in the green can is useless. The wasps down by me just seem to laugh it off... it contains just 0.035% of the "killing" ingredients.

The Spectracide PRO in the white can seems to work very well though. It has 0.85% of the good stuff (24x the killing power of the regular stuff).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '21

I have successfully used WD40 when I had nothing else. Works very quickly.

https://www.hunker.com/13405735/how-to-kill-wasps-with-wd40

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Sep '21

Any tips for lantern flys?

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Sep '21

Can't get answers from jcp&l over why my bills are ridiculously high for one person, not using much electric at all. In fact, I'm huge on conserving. I know they were estimating for a while and I haven't seen a truck in a long time, but I'm paying probably over double what it should be, if that. Hardly have anything that's left plugged in and so on. Use one light at night and always shut off when not in use. It's just so high that I can't imagine if I plugged a lot in and left on all the lights. Christmas light bill would be enormous. LOL Grrrrr. They never get back when I contact them, so hence the vent. Two calls and two emails.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

DogDayAfternoon

Have you tried reading your meter and checking out how fast it's spinning. If you're using little electricity it should be moving very slowly. If it isn't, then there's something going on somewhere that you aren't aware of. Some refrigerators and other appliances can use a LOT of electricity, especially if you aren't aware that you need to clean the coils or if they're old or one of the components is malfunctioning.

There's a product called a watt miser or similar name that you can plug into the outlet you have the fridge or other things on, then you plug the appliance back into the watt miser. It shows how much electricity the appliance is drawing. You can compare that to what it states on the info plate on the appliance itself. If it's drawing much more than it should, then you know where the extra load is coming from.

You may also be able to request an "energy audit", where they come to your house and check for things like that. Depending on how extensive their service is, they may also use an FLIR camera to see where you have excessive heat loss in your house. That shows where cold air escapes when you have the AC on and where you lose heat in the winter months. Check your electric bill or on their website. They have resources you should be able to take advantage of.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

Thank you, Phil D. I have gas appliances except for fridge. I don't even leave things plugged in. I know they said a while back they were estimating due to Covid, but paying what I'm paying for one person and being frugal with it, should leave me way below this Thanks for the tips since they won't or can't answer. I appreciate the response to my rant/vent. lol

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

DogDayAfternoon,

I know someone who had a similar experience. It turned out he had a well pump that was continuously running due to a short in the wires going down into his well. This is something you would never think of.

Lamppost Lamppost
Sep '21

Hey dog, I'm actually in the same position as you, my bill has been like 50 over norm and using left. I'm in an apartment complex and they said they would come check the meter, never got a response that they did. Been happening since they stopped the estimation. I'm going the extra extra mile this month to see if it lowers at all. Otherwise they may have to take a deeper dive.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Sep '21

Yesimpc. I hear ya. Condo and if they are estimating bills still because of the pandemic, it's not fair if you're alone vs a family of 4 and so on. Plus, I'm just big on saving electric and gas usage. My gas bill is literally minimal, but electric, has not followed suit. They haven't answered, but maybe one day. For now, I honestly think it's them estimating because they don't have manpower to check meters. I understand, but - my purse is not happy. LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

Also check your bill to be sure you haven't been slammed (When a consumer is switched from their current electric generation supplier without their authorization, it's called slamming).

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '21

The electric bill should state whether it's an actual read or estimated read. At least mine does (First Energy / JCP&L). Most of by bills since covid have been estimated, but when I check the meter, the reading is always fairly close.

I'll second Phil D's recommendation to check your appliances with a meter. I use the Kill A Watt meter. You can google that name and find a variety of options.

Best of luck!

- Rob

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Sep '21

A neighbor who is an electrician was conducting an energy audit for someone. The folks had a complaint of the same issue, unusually high electric bills. He simply started by viewing the meter which was running rather fast. He simply turned off all of the breakers leaving the main on. One by one he turned each breaker on therefore energizing whatever appliance etc on that circuit. Once he turned on a circuit that increased the speed of the meter in what he determined was an unusual fashion he found the culprit. It turned out there was a printer in a home office that had some sort of malfunction with a heating element for the ink that was drawing high wattage 24/7. Once the printer was replaced the electric bills went to a more average, normal reading.
An energy audit will typically find the issue. Good luck!

If the estimated meter is far off, you can call in a meter reading and get it back on track.

Laser printers are a huge electric hog, most of them have "power saver" modes. Even if the printer doesn't it's best to turn those on only when you need them. The difference in the electric bill can be huge. I've seen that in my own bill.

Thank you everyone. I'm going to have them check. I literally don't keep anything plugged in. Seriously. I conserve on gas and electric all the time. I don't keep printers, tv, micro, and so on plugged in. But when my bill is as high as neighbors with 4 people, it's frustrating (on my purse) lol. Thank you for all the ideas and heads up. It's very much appreciated. I finally got someone who's going to check at their end for me. I'll see what and if they say something. Thanks again, everyone!!!

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

How high is high? We're in a townhome - two of us - putes, printers, electric stove, central a/c etc.....last bill: bill for august - $125....Is that high or low??

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '21

I'm in a townhome as well (Valley View Woods). Just myself. In the summer, my bill averages around $80 - $90 a month with the central air running occasionally. I never unplug anything. In the winter, it drops down to around $30-$35. But I have natural gas for oven, stove, hot water heater, and dryer. This is a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom unit. (Yeah, I know it's a lot of home for a single guy. I'm divorced, and my ex-wife wanted extra bedrooms for visiting family members and friends.)

To DogDayAfternoon, if you ever want to borrow my Kill-A-Watt meter, just let me know. I hardly ever use it anyway. :-)

- Rob

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Sep '21

Thanks, Rob. They are checking and told me they will put a hold on it for now til they can get an accurate reading. Basically, pay what I think it should be for now. I rarely run my central air, I keep things unplugged, til used (except fridge). I try to conserve energy use not just for bills, but just habit. My gas bill is super low and my place is ON gas. LOL Thanks again!

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

Vent:
Endless commercial on TV and the radio for online gambling and casino sites.
I am immune and have absolutely zero interest in “signing up”.
But I’m sure the relentless repetition is roping multitudes in.
Just another government revenue siphon at the expense of the weak among us.
I guess the state run lottery can’t generate enough $$$ for it’s insatiable need to spend.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '21

Weird. Three neighbors with SUVs all towed in two weeks at Old Farm Village. Plus, damage to two other cars. Seems a bit suspicious to me.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

May have had the catalytic converters stolen. It is an epidemic all over the country right now. They are in and out in under a minute in most cases. An SUV is an easier mark as it is a bit higher off the ground making for easier access

A friend had his RV hit while getting service. His and about 20 others at the dealer....

Stymie - agree! endless commercials on tv, radio streaming etc. its driving us crazy.ill change the streaming channel - and its airing on another site.

HtownNewbie HtownNewbie
Sep '21

Vent: We replaced the battery in my 2013 Honda. It wasn’t driven enough, after battery change, according to the DMV tech which failed it for emissions…or the check engine light not resetting. The car only has 11k miles on it. Even Hackettstown Honda couldn’t fix it but did $400 worth of “maintenance”. Apparently we have to complete a “drive cycle” six months prior to inspection, when the battery is replaced. We had no idea until we read the owners manual and checked YouTube videos. There’s no grace period for this type of “rejection”. We’ve been driving for weeks, and it’s now expired. Still no reset. How the heck are we supposed to continue the drive cycle when it’s now illegal to drive? It’s a “catch 22” that a lot are unaware of, unless you know a lot about cars. Why would they have such a trap imbedded in a car? I heard Toyotas are even worse, so be aware of the battery change trap. What a hassle, when there’s nothing wrong with the car. Hopefully the police will be understanding.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Sep '21

Something seems odd. I have never heard of any vehicle that requires that long of a drive cycle to reset the monitors or set readiness as it is known. A drive cycle typically has a few different speeds, a certain amount of stops and some mileage. A day of normal driving at best. I have done this many times with several vehicles. In fact I have used software to set readiness in my Audi and another vehicle while sitting on the line at inspection! I have heard Honda's are tricky though...

For what it is worth I admire that you are concerned with getting the car up to date on inspection. I have one of my vehicles that is a few years over due and will stay that way LOL. Others in my family don't even have that sticker anymore. Inspection in NJ is really a dinosaur and very little attention is given to it by the police I have found. I would drive it some more then pop into an AutoZone or Advanced and have them put the code reader on to check inspection readiness. Then you will know when to take the ride to DMV.

Thank you, so much, for your reply, Greg. It was very helpful! We were told that we need to drive aprox 200 miles, under various conditions. I was wondering if driving 20-30 miles a day is cumulative or it has to be done all at once. It’s difficult for us to drive far distances. (Medical reasons). The car is getting another drive and a visit to AutoZone, right now. You sound like you know cars. I appreciate your advice. You always have such nice posts.

Sep '21

Thank you that is kind of you to say!

The drive cycle is cumulative. As each monitor resets it will stay that way. Typically the emission monitors are the last to reset. I believe in NJ there are 6 monitors they read and you can have up to two that are "incomplete". at the time of the inspection. That is with the exception of the emission monitor, naturally. LOL.

Hey, Greg. Took the car out for another ride and to AutoZone. They said there were no errors, but the emissions light still blinking five times, with the engine not running, indicating that it’s not ready. It’s not lit while running, so no real problem, according to the owners manual. AutoZone couldn’t help us further. They were just as baffled as us. I guess it only resets when driving, during a hurricane, under a full moon, with a herd of buffaloes crossing the road..LOL. This is like a Bugs Bunny cartoon! Maybe it’s a software bug. I’m going to call Honda corporate to see what they say. Maybe take it to a private garage to see if they can inspect it without an issue. You’ve been so helpful. Thanks again! :-)

Sep '21

Guilty-Remnant

Greg is definitely correct. Anytime you disconnect the battery, either to replace it, or to safely perform service on a car, you also clear any engine lights. People used to just disconnect their battery to clear engine lights, then head right to inspection. That's one reason why they now build the "drive cycle" concept into the systems, so that you have to accumulate driving under various conditions for a certain amount of miles. That way if something's "wrong", or "off" it will show up and your "Check Engine" light will light up and when hooked up to a scanner certain icons will flash to let you (and the inspectors, etc.) know that the car hasn't had time to set error codes yet.

A number of manufacturers require only about 100 miles for everything to reset. It's too bad you can't drive a further distance at once, since it would cause everything to reset and be ready for inspection sooner, but again, what Greg said is correct, the miles are cumulative and in some ways it works better to have a few starts rather than just one, since some faults don't show up until after three or more consecutive starts with the same fault present.

After I repaired my car a few years ago, I checked it with my scanner and found that I had several areas that hadn't yet reset, so after work the next day I drove up to Rt. 80, went to the Columbia Truck Stop and had something to eat, then continued into PA to the Rest Area/Visitor's Center. From there I drove home, attached the scanner and all was ready to go. I went to inspection the next day after work. All was good.

That way, I had a mix of driving types, both highway and local, plus a number of times starting and turning off the car. I would keep the paperwork for the repairs or a copy of them for any policeman to see to show that you were unable to get it inspected in time due to those repairs. I would hope they wouldn't ignore your good faith efforts.

Best of luck! If I could travel to you at the moment I'd put my scanner on your vehicle for you so you didn't have to go to Autozone, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

You’re very kind, Phil. I think we need to take a longer highway drive. So far we’ve driven about 250 miles. Some highway ( only about 50 miles, not all at once) but mostly local roads. We’ll keep at it. Maybe try the route you took. Thanks so much for your advice. :-)

Sep '21

Guilty-Remnant Thank you for that. I just hate to hear of people having issues with their vehicles, which is one reason I used to like working in the industry. I'm surprised that wasn't enough miles, though the fact you were lacking in highway driving may be part of the problem. Doing a similar route to mine may get things ready, if that's why its not giving a signal on the scanner that it's ready for inspection. Again, best of luck!

Here's a link I found to a California smogtips website that may help. I'm not sure what year and model of Honda you have, but these should apply to all Hondas, since they use essentially the same engine management system. It's pretty obvious you won't be able to do all these things in order and during the same drive, but it shows the types of things that needs to be done for them to consider a drive cycle complete and they recommend going through it twice. If you see something that you haven't done in your normal driving, then it would be a good idea to add that in one or two of your drives, such as the longer idling.

https://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/3248/How-Do-I-Drive-a-Honda-Fit-to-Set-the-Emissions-Computer

As far as not driving enough to keep your battery fully charged, it may be a good idea to look into getting a solar, or plug in, "trickle charger" which keeps the battery level "topped off".

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

This information is great! Thanks again, Phil.

Sep '21

HELP!! I am having major computer problems. I don’t know where to take it. Thanks

auntiel auntiel
Sep '21

Hope it's not just me, but I'm seeing and killing way more yellow jackets this year. I'm getting some every day inside. I see a lot buzzing outside around the deck. I can't even go out there to even spray. Yikes. Actually, yikes times 10.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

DDAfternoon - I spotted the place in the siding where yellow jackets were nesting- exterminator sprayed some kind of powder into the spot and after a day or two of swarming, they had all left - so maybe if you look around......

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '21

I concur. There does seem to be a bumper crop of yellow jackets this year.

A neighbor went to retrieve a ball on the edge of his yard a week or so ago and was stung 15 or 16 times poor fellow. He's okay but did go to the hospital as a precaution.

Oh wow, Greg. I'm afraid to even go on the deck. They're buzzing all day. I have quite a few that get in daily. I have a spray that works in two seconds, but don't want to continually use that and breathe in. I also have dish liquid and soap spray. I also have a trap, etc. I looked up plants and oils they don't like and so on. Just a huge amount of them this year. I can't block off the fireplace. It's gas, so, that sucks. I've only been stung once. That was enough. Very painful.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

DogDay, if you think they are coming in thru the fireplace, try lighting it for about 10 minutes. Whatever you do, DO NOT spray the fireplace before lighting it. Ideally you should hire an exterminiator.
And yes, I agree about seeing many more of them this year. Especially the European Hornets.
Someting about the SLF leaving behind a sticky sweet residue when they eat, attracting the yellowjackets/hornets.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '21

These lantern fly buggers---kill them -- scrape off egg masses - every little bit may help

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '21

Guess I should check tenant's rights or something. Wouldn't seem fair for me to have to be charged for an outside exhaust box wasp issue. Oh well. For now, I have spray, traps, and also dish cleaner in water spray. Just a bumper crop of yellow jackets this year.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

Your landlord should pay. But check your lease.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '21

I had to call my landlord/property mgr. twice because of a nest in the soffit by my and my neighbor's door, then because the Yellowjackets that were left seem to have relocated to a ground nest right below the treated one. They contacted someone to come out who treated both problems. All gone and my neighbors and I are happy knowing we aren't going to be walking by an active nest that may result in a hospital visit.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

He knows, hasn't offered. Who did you use Phil D? I don't see it in lease and he takes forever and ever to do things and knows about this, but hasn't offered. I guess I'll be stuck with the cost of it all.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

Why is it older people think they are entitled to say whatever they want to people and they don't expect a reaction? You're entitled to your opinion.You're not entitled to walk up to a complete stranger without provocation and just start telling them what you think. You will get a very unkind reaction, don't be surprised. Because, news flash, nobody cares what you think about masks or the pandemic or politics. Talk to your friends about it! Not a perfect stranger.
Age doesn't give you a right to be rude!! And it is rude!!

Mind your business Mind your business
Sep '21

Hi Greg and Phil D.! I know you two have been thinking non stop about my Honda inspection…lol! It passed inspection, today. The emissions light STILL blinks 5 times, indicating that it wouldn’t pass…according to the owners manual. We drove the car over 400 miles…uuggg. It probably would’ve passed right after you guys posted. I guess there’s a flaw with the light, itself. Thanks for all your help. Never under estimate the power of collective thinking. :-)

Sep '21

DogDayAfternoon

They called Delsea, 1-800-339-8515 or 973-584-8515, 505 Rt. 46 Kenvil, NJ 07847 Apparently family owned and operated since 1923, almost 100 years.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

Thank you, Phil D.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '21

My wife and I went to OMG Burgers last week for the first time. I have no BEEF with the burgers. :) But I ordered a Johnnie Walker Black on the Rocks and they charged me $2.00 for the Rocks!!! Never heard of such a thing. Should I bring a cooler of ice next time?

njhokiefan njhokiefan
Sep '21

ask for a glass of water next time and transfer the ice to booze glass? geesh

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '21

They gave us a bottle of water and two glasses without ice when we first were seated. I wonder what they would have charged should I have asked for ice then.

njhokiefan njhokiefan
Sep '21

I think it's to differentiate from ordering a shot... they give you more booze when you order rocks, so they charge you more. They weren't charging you for the ice, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '21

They give you 1 shot of booze when ordered straight up. If ordered with ice, you get a shot and a half.

Not a good practice, it makes them look bad. They should just add it to the price of the drink.

njhokiefan njhokiefan
Sep '21

They better have been those premium rocks, take a look next time.

And please don't refer to any part of your lower leg as a calf lol........

I'm thinking they could be spending their time and your donations saving animals.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10016466-peta-wants-mlb-to-start-calling-the-bullpen-an-arm-barn-over-treatment-of-cows.amp.html

maja2 maja2
Oct '21

maja2, don't play duck duck goose, either. How far are we going with this stuff? LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '21

People have entirely too much time on their hands to even think of stuff like this.

justwondering justwondering
Oct '21

More BS. Oops can’t use that now…

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '21

So tired of worrying over other people's messes. How is it even possible to lose a car?

Courtney1 Courtney1
Dec '21

Ugh. This is a "really!? What the hell" moment. While sitting in traffic on Main Street about a half hour ago, I looked to the left to see this person letting their dog drop a bomb on the sidewalk at the corner of Liberty and Main. That's fine. But then he simply proceeded to look at it and walk away. I was able to immediately make a left turn onto Liberty and when I rolled my window down and asked him if he needed a bag for that, the who cares response caught me a little off guard. My reply equating him to what his dog just left on the sidewalk while impolite on my part was clearly quite accurate. He's very lucky I was pressed for time with an appointment or I would have gladly retrieved the aforementioned item put it in the bag and brought it to Ann's Psychic Reading door that he entered after he strolled back. Zero respect for his neighbors, the law, or himself. Disgraceful in my book.

Don't know if is worth or warranted to post his photo on the internet for this, though. I get your point, but..
Also, he may look old, but he could actually be 17 and that's not good, either. Just don't think this should be up for dog doo, even if you're mad.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '21

Age doesn’t preclude you from picking up dog poop. He looked perfectly healthy enough to walk his dog, so…

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '21

That's not the point. Plus, if we all showed photos of people ticking us off, this site would be FILLED with people mowing lawns at 7:00, people littering, people not tipping, people chewing gum loudly, not wearing a mask, and so on. OH, believe me: I get his rage at it. Trust me. I hate when neighbors do this, but I wouldn't post photos.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '21

Agreed, DogDay. Posting photos is in poor taste and not a good precedent to set.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.