Dog Schedule

Help!! For the past few weeks my dog has decided not to do her business until 3:00 in the morning. We have tried everything we can think of to get her back to going during waking hours. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

auntiel auntiel
Nov '20

How old is she? Dogs can have age related changes in the brain and mix up their days and nights.
Also plenty of exercise to get her “going” and tire her out may help.
Might be a good idea to mention it to your vet if no improvement.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '20

3- she is 12. That’s what the vet told us. So we stopped feeding her at 3:00, no water after 6. Keep her awake all day. Plenty of exercise throughout the day. It’s like having 2:00 feedings, we’re not young and have to get up at 5. Ugh!! Thanks

auntiel auntiel
Nov '20

auntiel

The only thing is that stopping her water too early helps to stop her up, at least in my experience. If she doesn't have enough water continuously, the stool won't be soft enough to pass through her system and can cause issues, just like in people.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

Auntiel are you talking about #1s or #2s? If she can’t hold her bladder overnight you would need to make sure there is no uti or other problems that can cause an increase in urinations. Please discuss with your vet. Or another vet.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '20

3wbdwnj

Good point. It seemed more likely to be #2, so I went with that, but I definitely agree with what you're saying if it's #1.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

It's #2. Her water dish is kept full all day. No uti, she's been checked for that. She is walked 2x a day. She has to get up at 4:45 to be let out before we go to work. For the past 12 years you could set a clock to her bm's. Morning, noon and night. Now it's night, night and night. This started before the time change. She's not on any meds. Her health is excellent. She's been on a prescription diet food for a year, because of age. No people food. The vet says nothing physical wrong with her. I guess it's something we'll have to live with. I will however not take her water away and see if it helps. Thanks for all your advise.

auntiel auntiel
Nov '20

Did you open a new bag of the prescription diet right before the change?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '20

3wbdwnj

Another excellent point. I always mixed some of my dogs' new food in with the old due to freshness and lot differences. That was done even though they were on a regular diet with the same food, unless they started showing lack of interest, then I'd do a mixed switch to another type food, such as going from puppy food to adult food.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

No she’s been on the same bag. I only buy 8 lbs at a time to keep it fresh. Brat slept through the night last night. We sleep with one ear open. Lol

auntiel auntiel
Nov '20

Glad to hear she slept thru the night! Is she secretely reading your posts on HL? ;)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '20

Awesome! I hope it stays that way:-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

Sounds similar to my schedule as I get older.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Nov '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.